HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 1-0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2017, 12:21 PM
  #26
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Contract I can understand but why was there contract discussion 1 month before training camp? As for the "product on the field has to grow"...I have no idea what that even means.
Well, based on some tweets, they have been looking for a new GM since January.

Likely means the negotiations on a new deal started about 6 months ago.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:23 PM
  #27
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,375
vCash: 117
Rhodes values better access for the media than winning...what a dunce

will he be happy if the team sucks but Terry Jones get to talk to Maas privately now?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:25 PM
  #28
oXo Cube
Termite
 
oXo Cube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In your closet
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
So they fired the GM that catapulted the team back into relevance, in April, because the media and fans were given less direct access than they were used to?

I'm not watching the presser but if that's the reason given then that is absolute insanity.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:26 PM
  #29
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Eskimos are community owned and there looks like the was conflict with the eskimos philosophy and harveys philosophy
I know, the eskimos philosophy used to be about winning, now it's something else apparently...

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:28 PM
  #30
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 74,699
vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
I know, the eskimos philosophy used to be about winning, now it's something else apparently...
Growing up the community had a lot of access to the team.

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:28 PM
  #31
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
So they fired the GM that catapulted the team back into relevance, in April, because the media and fans were given less direct access than they were used to?

I'm not watching the presser but if that's the reason given then that is absolute insanity.
I'd have to imagine the fact they could not agree on a contract was the most important factor. And it was the first item mentioned in the presser.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:33 PM
  #32
Del McPreston
Registered User
 
Del McPreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I'd have to imagine the fact they could not agree on a contract was the most important factor. And it was the first item mentioned in the presser.
I think it was the opposite. Rhodes spent most of the press conference stumbling through his words about how important media and fan access is. Hervey still has a contract for this upcoming season, they could have done an extension during the season or next year.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:35 PM
  #33
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Growing up the community had a lot of access to the team.
They still do. They just don't have the whining media's "perception" of what access is.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:35 PM
  #34
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
You could also look at it from the perspective that allowing access to the room and marketing your players better was the sticking point in negotiations for Ed?

Basically, Ed would not budge on that and other things like the mic on the coach, etc.

Doesn't seem like something that he couldn't work around...
I think that its highly suspect that this is all coming out so close to starting the season.

The timing is an absolute joke.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:38 PM
  #35
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del McPreston View Post
I think it was the opposite. Rhodes spent most of the press conference stumbling through his words about how important media and fan access is. Hervey still has a contract for this upcoming season, they could have done an extension during the season or next year.
Right, but they go hand in hand.

If Hervey is asking for a big raise, it's a lot harder to give him the money if they have a lot of philosophical differences as well.

On the other hand, do you think if Ed provided more media access and accessibility to players for marketing that he would still have his job? Doesn't seem like a hill I would die on if I had his job because you can do both.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  #36
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
So who's out there for potential replacements? Cant think of any other former Esks still in the biz. Old coaches? Ricky Ray

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:41 PM
  #37
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I think that its highly suspect that this is all coming out so close to starting the season.

The timing is an absolute joke.
Well yes, in an ideal world if they did not like Ed they would have fired him months ago.

Perhaps they wished to use him to recruit players for this year before, I have no idea.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:42 PM
  #38
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
So who's out there for potential replacements? Cant think of any other former Esks still in the biz. Old coaches? Ricky Ray
Only guy I can think of is Jim Barker, assuming no teams will let us steal their assistant GMs, which seems unlikely at best.

The issue is they also want someone that is willing to live in the community as well...

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:42 PM
  #39
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Well, based on some tweets, they have been looking for a new GM since January.

Likely means the negotiations on a new deal started about 6 months ago.
Well...if they knew that Hervey was as good as gone then do it in January. You dont wait until April before you make a decision.

Rhodes should be fired for the way he has handled things but we all know thats not going to happen.

This is inexcusable.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:45 PM
  #40
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Well...if they knew that Hervey was as good as gone then do it in January. You dont wait until April before you make a decision.

Rhodes should be fired for the way he has handled things but we all know thats not going to happen.

This is inexcusable.
I agree this is beyond ridiculous.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:45 PM
  #41
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 74,699
vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Well...if they knew that Hervey was as good as gone then do it in January. You dont wait until April before you make a decision.

Rhodes should be fired for the way he has handled things but we all know thats not going to happen.

This is inexcusable.
Sounds like harvey wanted more power as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:50 PM
  #42
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Sounds like harvey wanted more power as well
It's Hervey, not Harvey.

If anyone needs to be fired, it's Rhodes. Complete disregard for the team or the values of winning. Fans don't go to games to watch concerts, shows, or 'gimmicks', they want a WINNING football team. I for one WILL NOT pay one CENT to the Eskimos for the lack and disregard of the team. **** Rhodes, and **** the boards ignorance.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:50 PM
  #43
WayneGreatzky
Registered User
 
WayneGreatzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
Completely blindsided and upset to hear this news...

Hervey was a great GM. Nobody cares how friendly he is with the media, the Eskimos completely turned around under his managing.

The guy got us our franchise QB in Mike Reilly, got us Chris Jones who took us from worst to CHAMPS in 2 seasons!. Replaced him with Jason Maas who almost took us back to the GC again last season.

3 great seasons in a row (Including that wonderful GC in '15) and they fire him?

Unbelievable

Dumb dumb move and they waited until April to do it lol

Best of luck wherever you wind up Ed and know that the fans would never have done this!


Last edited by WayneGreatzky: 04-07-2017 at 12:57 PM.
WayneGreatzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:54 PM
  #44
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 74,699
vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
It's Hervey, not Harvey.

If anyone needs to be fired, it's Rhodes. Complete disregard for the team or the values of winning. Fans don't go to games to watch concerts, shows, or 'gimmicks', they want a WINNING football team. I for one WILL NOT pay one CENT to the Eskimos for the lack and disregard of the team. **** Rhodes, and **** the boards ignorance.
On my phone so autocorrect kicked in

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:56 PM
  #45
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
On my phone so autocorrect kicked in
No worries. I saw it 3 times so I was just pointing it out

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  #46
Del McPreston
Registered User
 
Del McPreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Right, but they go hand in hand.

If Hervey is asking for a big raise, it's a lot harder to give him the money if they have a lot of philosophical differences as well.

On the other hand, do you think if Ed provided more media access and accessibility to players for marketing that he would still have his job? Doesn't seem like a hill I would die on if I had his job because you can do both.
I don't agree but understand what you are saying.

I don't think more access to the players is going to result in more people going to the games though. The ticket prices continue to go up while the quality of the football goes down. That's more of the problem regarding attendance and interest in the game.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  #47
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Sounds like harvey wanted more power as well
Yah, that Steve Harvey guy is so power hungry, it's insane. Always wants to MC for more Miss America pageants and such.

And Ed Hervey is right up there too, for wanting power.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:59 PM
  #48
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
If Hervey was canned for not being media friendly, this is absolute crap. And as has been mentioned, why would you wait until the season is almost upon us? At least fire him for boinking a cheerleader or something juicy like that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
  #49
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Have to think Maas's days with the organization would be numbered now, as the new GM usually gets his own guy. Unless he's told to keep Maas there, or likes Maas to begin with.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 01:07 PM
  #50
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del McPreston View Post
I don't agree but understand what you are saying.

I don't think more access to the players is going to result in more people going to the games though. The ticket prices continue to go up while the quality of the football goes down. That's more of the problem regarding attendance and interest in the game.
In the end, winning is all that matters for the fans that actually follow the team. But even their marketing of the team seems to have went down substantially, and that affects the random family that goes to 1 game because of something they see or hear. That being said, that probably isn't Ed's department either.

What we have learned from past winning teams though is that you can have more access for media, coaches and players and still have a winning team.

The other issue is even Len Rhodes is accountable to someone else. If the Board says "this is how we want to the team run, no matter what, and get Ed to agree to it". And then he tries and cannot, he does not have many options.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.