HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 1-0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2017, 03:28 PM
  #101
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don't even joke about that.



LOL, I've been trying to find out what I can. Despite the jokes about a relationship with Hervey, he's not a source of mine although I know him a little.

I sometimes get wind of things in advance (Kavisís firing, trades, signings, neg-listers) but I admit that this one caught me off guard. I have two contacts with the Esks who didn't say anything but a friend with a western team texted me this just before it broke. It's a small league so there are few secrets.

Iím hearing that Hervey has been a pain in the arse for guys like Rhodes and the board. This is personalities and it's been coming for a couple of months, as has been mentioned. I'm hearing that contributing to this is Hervey's battles with the commissioner. I'm friends with Rhodes and hope to give him an ear full about this.

I'm a season ticket holder and that won't change.
Can you give him something from me as well. Not sure if it will fit sideways, but with some prodding, you never know.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
  #102
bone
5-14-6-1
 
bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I was just told that the stuff with the commish "got ugly."

Stay tuned, sports fans; I'm on the case.
So we are to make decisions for our team because of an incompetent commissioner? Who does Rhodes work for the Eskimos of the Orridge? Disgusting if that is his true reasons.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
  #103
MoontoScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=MoneyGuy;130501287]Don't even joke about that.



Who said I was joking Don't you fondly remember that 3-15 season with Reed and his favorite QB on the sidelines laughing and joking it up? Those were such warm moments from those two love birds.

And let's not forget DM trading a 1st round pick for Joe McGrath two weeks after cutting him DM is probably licking his lips right about now. We all know that he was wronged by not being hired as GM of the Als. Now he could once again be a key cog in the EE machine. Perhaps Len can schedule a presser tomorrow morning?

MoontoScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:34 PM
  #104
bone
5-14-6-1
 
bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=MoontoScott;130501793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don't even joke about that.



Who said I was joking Don't you fondly remember that 3-15 season with Reed and his favorite QB on the sidelines laughing and joking it up? Those were such warm moments from those two love birds.

And let's not forget DM trading a 1st round pick for Joe McGrath two weeks after cutting him DM is probably licking his lips right about now. We all know that he was wronged by not being hired as GM of the Als. Now he could once again be a key cog in the EE machine. Perhaps Len can schedule a presser tomorrow morning?
As sad as it sounds, he's likely as qualified as anyone else who is available to do the job. All the more reason to point out how stupid this decision was.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:35 PM
  #105
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,244
vCash: 50
[QUOTE=MoontoScott;130501793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don't even joke about that.



Who said I was joking Don't you fondly remember that 3-15 season with Reed and his favorite QB on the sidelines laughing and joking it up? Those were such warm moments from those two love birds.

And let's not forget DM trading a 1st round pick for Joe McGrath two weeks after cutting him DM is probably licking his lips right about now. We all know that he was wronged by not being hired as GM of the Als. Now he could once again be a key cog in the EE machine. Perhaps Len can schedule a presser tomorrow morning?
Perhaps Len can show himself the door. That would get my support. He IS the problem with this team.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:36 PM
  #106
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can you give him something from me as well. Not sure if it will fit sideways, but with some prodding, you never know.
Sorry, we don't have that kind of relationship. But thanks for the suggestion.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:42 PM
  #107
JordanGalhanth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 500
The conspiracy freak in me wonders if the league told Rhodes to fire Hervey so that he can go to the Riders.

JordanGalhanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:45 PM
  #108
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don't even joke about that.



LOL, I've been trying to find out what I can. Despite the jokes about a relationship with Hervey, he's not a source of mine although I know him a little.

I sometimes get wind of things in advance (Kavisís firing, trades, signings, neg-listers) but I admit that this one caught me off guard. I have two contacts with the Esks who didn't say anything but a friend with a western team texted me this just before it broke. It's a small league so there are few secrets.

Iím hearing that Hervey has been a pain in the arse for guys like Rhodes and the board. This is personalities and it's been coming for a couple of months, as has been mentioned. I'm hearing that contributing to this is Hervey's battles with the commissioner. I'm friends with Rhodes and hope to give him an ear full about this.

I'm a season ticket holder and that won't change.
all jokes aside, I am quote disappointed in Rhodes and the BOD today. It appears from what I've seen that Rhodes is putting more blame than is deserved on Hervey for not having more butts in the seats. In reality Hervey did his job by putting a competitive championship team on the field.
it's Rhodes and his team that appear to have failed.
if there were long simmering issues with hervey, why wait until now? worst possible timing.

i'll give him some credit for the new seats, scoreboard and covering the track, which gives the stadium a better appearance. But to me he's failed to provide much enhancement to the game day experience.

Other than hardcore fans who want to see the on field product and watch for things the tv cameras don't focus on, is there really any reason to go to a game? Have the esks provided any good incentive for people to spend their disposable income on the esks that hasn't existed before? I say no.
This time around I've had my tickets since 2001, and really nothing has changed since then except more often than not, the esks look like chumps in their running of the team.

it's the same as it always was. watch the game, people watch, enjoy the weather, and for some people, having drinks while doing so.

I don't expect the stadium to be sold out, but I do think they needed to figure out by now why they can't get a larger ticket base or more fans, now that there is a winning team.
Although in this day and age, maybe the only way that's possible is by local blackouts.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:45 PM
  #109
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
The cfl needs the esks more than the esks need the cfl. And the esks need the fans more than the fans need the esks. But for some reason, this team cares more about mollifying the desires the league and its "media partners" than its own fans. Hello, media access? The media cares. Fans don't give a damn. They just want a winner.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
  #110
Expatriate
Registered User
 
Expatriate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
WTF

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:56 PM
  #111
MoontoScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
It probably turns out well for the Riders......

Right now Len is probably on the phone to offer the GM position to DM.

Chris Jones, sensing what is happening, finds Joe McGrath somewhere in retirement and immediately signs him to a contract.

Then when DM reports for his first day of work at the igloo, Jones offers McGrath to the Esks for James Franklin and 3 first round picks.

Voila mes amies, QB problem fixed for the Riders and DM reacquires a key spoke in the offensive wheel.

MoontoScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 03:59 PM
  #112
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
The cfl needs the esks more than the esks need the cfl.
Do I need to point out that if the CFL didn't exist then the Esks wouldn't have a league to play in?

Darn, is anyone else having weird crap happening when typing a post? I blame Len Rhodes.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:02 PM
  #113
gordonhught
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
That's one guy. You made it sound like the entire station supports it. I just listened to Jason Gregor, who is part of the 1260 team, and he is didn't sound like he was in support.
Gregor was harping on about how Hervey's position on lack of media access was a big problem.

gordonhught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:03 PM
  #114
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,590
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I'm waiting to hear the Eskimos have officially hired Danny Maciocia as the new GM. I'm dead serious. That's how low I'd think they'd go.
The thought crossed my mind as well. Seems to be the clown show direction the organization is heading.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:04 PM
  #115
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
So we are to make decisions for our team because of an incompetent commissioner? Who does Rhodes work for the Eskimos of the Orridge? Disgusting if that is his true reasons.
Rhodes is a serious problem in this organization, but he has serious competition for the top village idiot crown from Jeffrey Porridge the commissioner. That is a huge problem on a league wide scale.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:05 PM
  #116
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhught View Post
Gregor was harping on about how Hervey's position on lack of media access was a big problem.
Didn't say that was a reason for him to be fired though.

Matter of fact, there was one instance where he said Rhodes told both of them that the league wanted them to wear the mics, but also said he was against it, and was at the meetings where it was voted on. Confused or what?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:07 PM
  #117
gordonhught
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Didn't say that was a reason for him to be fired though.
For the time that Gregor spent talking about Hervey's firing, 80% of the time was spent complaining about the media access issue.

gordonhught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:09 PM
  #118
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoontoScott View Post
It probably turns out well for the Riders......

Right now Len is probably on the phone to offer the GM position to DM.

Chris Jones, sensing what is happening, finds Joe McGrath somewhere in retirement and immediately signs him to a contract.

Then when DM reports for his first day of work at the igloo, Jones offers McGrath to the Esks for James Franklin and 3 first round picks.

Voila mes amies, QB problem fixed for the Riders and DM reacquires a key spoke in the offensive wheel.
Danny always said, "if I can get the groceries, I can control the product better". So, they gave him the keys to the mansion, and let him go wild in the supermarket. That turned out well.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:11 PM
  #119
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Do I need to point out that if the CFL didn't exist then the Esks wouldn't have a league to play in?

Darn, is anyone else having weird crap happening when typing a post? I blame Len Rhodes.
The Edmonton Eskimos have consistently been the highest selling, most successful, and most stable franchise in this league. They should not have to kowtow to anyone, the CFL included. The fans, especially the prairie fans, form the fundamental basis of this league's very survival. Not TSN. Not the struggling eastern teams. Not the "corporate stakeholders". The esks themselves could fold tomorrow and the city would grieve but if you had a poll, more would be upset if McDavid left (gods forbid). My point is that this team should be looking after its FANS rather than trying to appease its eastern masters. That means doing what the fans want like fielding a WINNING team, not firing the GM who brought back winning ways and - moreover - firing him a couple months before the damn season begins.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:17 PM
  #120
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhught View Post
For the time that Gregor spent talking about Hervey's firing, 80% of the time was spent complaining about the media access issue.
Still never suggested he should be fired for it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:18 PM
  #121
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 408
On the surface, looks like a strange move.

Too bad they couldn't get on the same page. I've always been a Hervey fan, both as a player and manager. Especially since he's straight outta CPT. (Actually, I think he's from Watts).

This could very well come back to bite them.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:27 PM
  #122
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,046
vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
WTF
Well put.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:31 PM
  #123
gordonhught
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Still never suggested he should be fired for it.
Good grief. You are friends with Gregor. I get it already.

gordonhught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:35 PM
  #124
Oil In My Veins
Registered User
 
Oil In My Veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,680
vCash: 500
Can we fire Len Rhodes?

Seriously though...

Oil In My Veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 04:48 PM
  #125
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 500
I'm beyond pissed off. I think i'm going to boycott them for a year. It's idiotic, with the Oilers doing so well the Eskimos need to be very good themselves and piggyback on the momentum and excitement in the sporting community instead they run the risk of getting swept away in the excitement and forgotten because they can't keep pace. This is not going to put people in the stands, personally it's likely going to keep me out of them. Hervey made this back into a winning franchise and passed a tough test last offseason with flying colours by keeping the Eskimos contenders last year. Edmonton fans didn't mind Hervey sticking his neck out and doing what he thought was best for the team, this kind of attitude actually sells. Ticket sales likely went down due to the economy and the Oilers starting the season on fire probably didn't help either. Hervey is the football guy and he killed it in that role. Ridiculous.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.