Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Old
04-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Hobble

vCash: 500
I really don't want to see Ehler/Scheif/Laine to be broken up. They represent exactly what we want the future of the Jets to be, and you can break up a bromance like that.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:21 PM
buyinnow

Ehlers isn't enough for Hanifan.

It would take Laine to get Werenski.

buyinnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Right away you come to the stumbling block. We need some certainty with Trouba. The uncertainty gets in the way.

You are assuming that Myers is still a top 4 D and that he still has substantial trade value. I'm not jumping in to the 'career ending' injury pool but there is doubt about his future.

Still, without Myers we should have a strong top 4:
Morrissey - Trouba
Enstrom - Buff
though it begs the question, why was our D so poor this year? It wasn't injuries because, apart from Myers the D injuries all came late in the season.
Yea to your first bolded most of this is in a snap shot of next season. Myers goes status quo unless Trouba gets extended this summer. I think Myers will come back ok and if he does he will have very solid trade value if and when the situation presents itself.

The problem with our D was we did lose 117 man games to injury out of our original starting top 4 defenders (Buff, Trouba, Toby, Myers) which is 1.4 players out per game. On top of that even our 5 and 6 spots of Postma and Chairot lost 40 games.

Rolling in Morrissey our top 7 D men lost 157 man games to injury which steep and it explains allot.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyinnow View Post

It probably would take Laine to get Werenski but that would be horrible value. Put the shoe on the other foot. If CBJ came looking to get Laine and all they offered was Werenski, all they would hear is laughter behind the door slammed in their face.

You do know that Hanifin has been disappointing so far, right? You don't wonder why Canes fans seem willing to trade him instead of anyone else?

Trading Ehlers for Hanifin now would be like backing up 7 years and trading P. Kane for Bogosian. No flipping way!!!! With extreme prejudice. Not even close.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyinnow View Post

No thanks.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:35 PM
surixon

Quote:
It probably would take Laine to get Werenski but that would be horrible value. Put the shoe on the other foot. If CBJ came looking to get Laine and all they offered was Werenski, all they would hear is laughter behind the door slammed in their face.

You do know that Hanifin has been disappointing so far, right? You don't wonder why Canes fans seem willing to trade him instead of anyone else?

Trading Ehlers for Hanifin now would be like backing up 7 years and trading P. Kane for Bogosian. No flipping way!!!! With extreme prejudice. Not even close.
100% agreed. Ehlers WAR is that of a 1st line forward whereas Hanifin's is that of a number 5 dmen. They aren't in the same stratosphere at this point. The question should also be asked why we would even want him as he would be well behind Trouba, Morrissey, Buff on our depth chart and also be behind Toby. We can get better for free in FA.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Jetabre
Laine to the Jets

Also wouldn't trade Ehlers for Hanifin, at least not until Hanifin shows more. Ehlers is a stud.

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 04:19 PM
mondo3

agreed...that would definitely be a trade giving up a proven player for one with "potential"

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 04:41 PM
bustamente

vCash: 58
Has anyone watched Hanifin play this year, Morrissey had a better year and some would trade Ehlers for him, personally I would never, same goes for Laine and Werenski, Jets will eventually get another solid d-man but not at the cost of those two.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 05:20 PM
ruffus23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetabre View Post
Also wouldn't trade Ehlers for Hanifin, at least not until Hanifin shows more. Ehlers is a stud.
Agree but defenseman are carrying a premium these days. See Hall trade last year.

Love Ehlers. Guy can drive a line by himself. Sign him long term this summer!

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 08:36 PM
1430MaroonsRoad

How does everyone feel about UFA Steve Mason? Sounds like he is done with the Flyers - as he's stated if he has to "platoon" with Neuvirth next season, he's not interested in coming back.

He had a cap hit of $4.1M this past season. Had a bit of a down year in 16-17 posting a .908 save percentage, but was quite good the previous two seasons.

1430MaroonsRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea to your first bolded most of this is in a snap shot of next season. Myers goes status quo unless Trouba gets extended this summer. I think Myers will come back ok and if he does he will have very solid trade value if and when the situation presents itself.

The problem with our D was we did lose 117 man games to injury out of our original starting top 4 defenders (Buff, Trouba, Toby, Myers) which is 1.4 players out per game. On top of that even our 5 and 6 spots of Postma and Chairot lost 40 games.

Rolling in Morrissey our top 7 D men lost 157 man games to injury which steep and it explains allot.
I agree Myers will have good value but not until after he has proven himself. I'm not panicing but no one is going to pay for him until after he has played well for a while.

The only 1 of our original top 4 injured early was Myers. We had Trouba holding out but Myers played for most of that. Morrissey kept us at 4 top 4 D. Other than that the D injuries all came later in the season. Not quite to garbage time but until we were realistically almost out of the race. I don't have the exact details but it was roughly 50 games missing either Trouba or Myers before we got down 2 D at the same time. The first half of the season it was Fs that were injured. Lots of them.

Old
04-13-2017, 09:01 PM
surixon

Quote:
I agree Myers will have good value but not until after he has proven himself. I'm not panicing but no one is going to pay for him until after he has played well for a while.

The only 1 of our original top 4 injured early was Myers. We had Trouba holding out but Myers played for most of that. Morrissey kept us at 4 top 4 D. Other than that the D injuries all came later in the season. Not quite to garbage time but until we were realistically almost out of the race. I don't have the exact details but it was roughly 50 games missing either Trouba or Myers before we got down 2 D at the same time. The first half of the season it was Fs that were injured. Lots of them.
My ideal situation is Poolman comes in and looks really good on the Moose through 30 allowing us to move Myers around Xmas and not miss a beat.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1430MaroonsRoad View Post
How does everyone feel about UFA Steve Mason? Sounds like he is done with the Flyers - as he's stated if he has to "platoon" with Neuvirth next season, he's not interested in coming back.

He had a cap hit of $4.1M this past season. Had a bit of a down year in 16-17 posting a .908 save percentage, but was quite good the previous two seasons.
It's tough for me to get a read on Mason, but hard to argue with the results he produced in Philly (outside of this past season).

Jeff Reese was apparently instrumental in helping him find his game with the Flyers when he was their goalie coach. Would be nice if they came to Winnipeg as a package deal.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:51 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1430MaroonsRoad View Post

His down year might make him a bit of a gamble but might also keep the price down a bit. Still would get several years though. I wouldn't want to have to wait out another Pavelec type contract. He wouldn't be my first choice but he is worth considering.

Old
04-14-2017, 12:57 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
My ideal situation is Poolman comes in and looks really good on the Moose through 30 allowing us to move Myers around Xmas and not miss a beat.
I like that - as long as Trouba signs long term eventually.

Old
04-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It's tough for me to get a read on Mason, but hard to argue with the results he produced in Philly (outside of this past season).

Jeff Reese was apparently instrumental in helping him find his game with the Flyers when he was their goalie coach. Would be nice if they came to Winnipeg as a package deal.
He was bad for his entire time with CBJ. He'd been very good before that and after until this year. I think it is probably just an off year. Probably.

Old
04-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
He was bad for his entire time with CBJ. He'd been very good before that and after until this year. I think it is probably just an off year. Probably.
Not his entire time with CBJ, he did win the Calder with them. He was bad in the other seasons, but was also young and probably could have used some extra development time in the AHL. A victim of his own early success, you could say.

I'm usually impressed when I watch him, he's got great technique. Plays "big and boring" for the most part, but also has that athleticism and dynamic ability that someone like Hellebuyck still needs to develop.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not his entire time with CBJ, he did win the Calder with them. He was bad in the other seasons, but was also young and probably could have used some extra development time in the AHL. A victim of his own early success, you could say.

I'm usually impressed when I watch him, he's got great technique. Plays "big and boring" for the most part, but also has that athleticism and dynamic ability that someone like Hellebuyck still needs to develop.
Managed to miss that season.

OK, apart from that season, he was good before CBJ, bad with CBJ and good after CBJ. He was good his entire time with Philly before this year and this year was not all that terrible. It does introduce some doubt even though it is probably just an inevitable, slightly off season.

I like Bernier but he had a very similar pattern with that one bad season in TO. He has since had his bounce back season and Mason hasn't yet. Really the only difference.

Both have 29th birthdays coming up before next season. Coming off the better performance last year Bernier might get a bigger contract. Mason could just as well turn out to be the better player in future.

Anecdotally it seems to me I have seen a lot of Flyers fans complain about him even before this year. Of course it is the same with Pens fans and MAF. They both don't know how lucky they are to have their 'bad goalies' be so good.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 04-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old
04-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Agreed, Hank. Reese and Mason replacing Flaherty and Pavs. Sounds too good to be true.

And, on the thought that Mason wants a change of scenery and would not thrilled with platooning in Philly, i don't think he'd want to come and be a mentor for Helle. Unlikely he's anointed the starter here without a battle.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Bob E

With Poolman now in the fold, is Postma resigned?

Buff, Trouba, Myers, Poolman, Nogier - and Chiarot or Morrissey able to play their off-hand, i don't think Postma is resigned unless he has no other offers. He wouldn't be my priority this off-season, tbh.

Old
04-14-2017, 02:05 PM
puck stoppa

I can't believe how people undervalue ehlers. Wow. I know we have a need but ehlers for Hanifin I would do never.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:10 PM
D1G
Rookie User

There is no way we ever get rid of ehlers. Little or wheeler will be the first to go when it's crunch time.

D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:22 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
With Poolman now in the fold, is Postma resigned?

Buff, Trouba, Myers, Poolman, Nogier - and Chiarot or Morrissey able to play their off-hand, i don't think Postma is resigned unless he has no other offers. He wouldn't be my priority this off-season, tbh.
Except that he's better than most of that list

csk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Bob E

A young forward core of Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry and Connor is pretty darn nice. I hope none of them are moved to fill a hole somewhere else. Add vets like Perreault, Little and Wheeler and that's a top 9 that other teams will be hard pressed to match, mainly because the young core will continue to get better over the next 4-5 years.

Our window is opening. One or two years from now, we could do a lot of damage in the playoffs.

Forwards:
Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Lowry
Little (if resigned. If not, trade for a similar impact player like JStaal)
Wheeler
Perreault
Armia

Chevy, you may want to add a good defensive winger / with size and speed / who is a PK beast to add to Lowry/Armia pk tandem. Just saying.

Defense:
Trouba
Byfuglien
Morrissey
Myers
Enstrom
Poolman

Chevy, you may want to add a good defensive LH dman / with size and speed / who is a PK beast to add to Morrissey/Trouba/Myers pk group. Just saying.

Goalie:
X
Hellebuyck

Chevy, GET A **** #1 GOALIE, and let Hellebuyck develop to take over the #1 spot, ideally within 2 years.

Last edited by Bob E: 04-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.