HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fav Rangers Fighter Of All Time???

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Rangers fighter of all time?
Dan Cloutier 7 6.73%
PJ Stock 11 10.58%
Dale Purinton 0 0%
Sandy McCarthy 4 3.85%
Darren Langdon 12 11.54%
Tie Domi 12 11.54%
Joe Kocur 28 26.92%
Jeff Beukeboom 14 13.46%
Chris Simon 2 1.92%
Matthew Barnaby 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN
Vukoda was a real big time a-hole. He was beating the up some rookie at the end of that fishstick game when Nilan had to take him on after just fighting Bomgartner!
Jeff Bloomberg...who was a player who wouldn't fight based on moral and/or religous beliefs...Leave to the Rangers to skate that type of guy....Leave it to Vukota to search out easy prey..

Old
02-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Slewfoot

Went with Kocur from this list. I agree with many of the others named(especially Fotiu ). I remember Barry Beck as a player that didn't fight alot but did well when he did. Seem to remember him bloodying Nilan(when with Montreal) and getting a clear victory over supposedly undefeated(at the time according to the Philly anouncers) Behn Wilson.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I remember Barry Beck as a player that didn't fight alot but did well when he did. Seem to remember him bloodying Nilan(when with Montreal) and getting a clear victory over supposedly undefeated(at the time according to the Philly anouncers) Behn Wilson.
I remember a Rangers-Caps game that got very, very physical. It was finally settled when Beck fought Langway at center ice. What a fight that was. Helmets off, blood flying everywhere.
Beck is one of those "coulda, should been" players. He was so good when healthy. As good as Langway, IMO. Problem is that he was rarely healthy. Even scarier thought is that there are probably a good amount of posters here who have never even heard of him.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I remember a Rangers-Caps game that got very, very physical. It was finally settled when Beck fought Langway at center ice. What a fight that was. Helmets off, blood flying everywhere.
Beck is one of those "coulda, should been" players. He was so good when healthy. As good as Langway, IMO. Problem is that he was rarely healthy. Even scarier thought is that there are probably a good amount of posters here who have never even heard of him.

That's OK TB. I was at the Rangers-Leafs game last Friday. After the Potvin cheer a kid turned to his father and asked, "Who's Potvin?" And, as God is my witness, the father said, "He was a goalie."

02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Fletch

Vukota...

also got Jay Wells nicely in the nose, bloodying him up, while Patrick, he and Vukota were tangled. I don't believe either Patrick or Wells had dropped the gloves, and know neither would pick a fight with Vukota (especially Patrick, who game him a pansy-like push). I lost a good deal of respect (whatever left I had) for Mick that day.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
I agree that when healthy , Beck was as good as Langway. He wasn't as steady defensively but had more offensive ability and was more of a hitter IMO.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Just odds and butt-ends..

Nilan was just hurt too damn much when he was on the Rangers...

And hey, where's the love for Jay Caulfiedl? Just kidding...

And one guy that could really fight, but rarely did, was Steve Vickers

And then there was Ken Hodge, man, was he an animal for us...

And not one of the best fighters, but Eddier Johnstone's fights were pretty entertaining (almost as much fun as McPhee's)...
For such a little guy I don't recall Johnstone ever backing up a single inch. I'm not sure how many times his nose was broken but it was at least in the high teens and always being commented upon. McPhee if I remember correctly took on and defeated Dave Brown. He was a machine when he started throwing them. He was always out hurt with his busted up hands.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
DaveBrown21

Quote:
I know Langway never wore a helmet in his career...wasn't that also true of Beck?

Old
02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBrown21
I know Langway never wore a helmet in his career...wasn't that also true of Beck?
Yes. I recognized what I wrote, right after I posted it. I should have said helmetless.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
McPhee if I remember correctly took on and defeated Dave Brown. He was a machine when he started throwing them. He was always out hurt with his busted up hands.
Yes, he did. McPhee took on all the bigges and frequently the result, at worst, was a draw. I remember when he took on Scott Stevens, circa the "Bam-Bam" days, when he was on the Caps. People forget just how much of a hot-head Stevens was in those early years. He fought often and was a fearsome foe. But McPhee handled him, much like he handled every other big boy from that era.

Old
02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
That's OK TB. I was at the Rangers-Leafs game last Friday. After the Potvin cheer a kid turned to his father and asked, "Who's Potvin?" And, as God is my witness, the father said, "He was a goalie."

Old
02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Yes, he did. McPhee took on all the bigges and frequently the result, at worst, was a draw. I remember when he took on Scott Stevens, circa the "Bam-Bam" days, when he was on the Caps. People forget just how much of a hot-head Stevens was in those early years. He fought often and was a fearsome foe. But McPhee handled him, much like he handled every other big boy from that era.
I do remember the Washington Scott Stevens. He was a big time hot head, he put up some big numbers offensively and PIM-wise. He had a pretty nasty reputation back then, it's always been amazing to me how much he calmed down in the second half of his career but at the same time retaining the toughness we saw with him as a Devil.

Old
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
I do remember the Washington Scott Stevens. He was a big time hot head, he put up some big numbers offensively and PIM-wise. He had a pretty nasty reputation back then, it's always been amazing to me how much he calmed down in the second half of his career but at the same time retaining the toughness we saw with him as a Devil.
The year he spent in St. Louis changed his career path.

Old
02-17-2006, 02:00 PM
E-Train

Quote:
The year he spent in St. Louis changed his career path.
agreed, I believe it was the first time he wore the C.

Old
02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
NYR1724

Billy Tibbets

Old
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Replace

Jeff and Sandy with fighters like Nilan and Fotiu and we have a legit poll

The fact that Sandy wasn't the same fighter when he got here that he was earlier in his career should take him off the list (similar to Kocur as well) and Jeff wasn't really a fighter as opposed to a guy that dropped the gloves in certain situations.

I think that Mark Janssens and Troy Mallette and Chris Nilan and of course Nick Fotiu should be added to this list.

So until that happens, I refrain from voting.

Old
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
both

Quote:
Father and Son need to be slapped and stripped of their tickets.

Old
02-17-2006, 03:10 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Can any of the mods take over this poll and correct it?

Old
02-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Can any of the mods take over this poll and correct it?
Why correct the poll that somebody else devised? All the polls really do is serve as a jumping off point for discussion and I think this one worked rather well no matter the choices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Jeff and Sandy with fighters like Nilan and Fotiu and we have a legit poll

The fact that Sandy wasn't the same fighter when he got here that he was earlier in his career should take him off the list (similar to Kocur as well) and Jeff wasn't really a fighter as opposed to a guy that dropped the gloves in certain situations.

I think that Mark Janssens and Troy Mallette and Chris Nilan and of course Nick Fotiu should be added to this list.

I didn't vote eityher because you can can go on and on...Poescheck, Hospodar, Ted Jericho, Flemming, Kurtenbach, Frank the Butcher and so on....Bu it's still some great and fun discussion

Old
02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Lets not forget Jay Caufield, Wilf Paiemont,Eddie Johnstone,and Jeff Brubaker.

Old
02-17-2006, 03:55 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Why correct the poll that somebody else devised? All the polls really do is serve as a jumping off point for discussion and I think this one worked rather well no matter the choices..
I still would like to see how more comprehensive poll would turn out.

Old
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Where is the King? Nick Fotiu!

Old
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
About 10 years ago, someone asked my then 12-year-old daughter (who would scream "Potvin Sucks" at the top of her lungs) if she even knew who Potvin was and why he sucked. She shot him a look and said that he sucked ever since he cheap shotted Ulfie Nielssen (wonder where she heard that? ) during the 1979 playoffs and cost the Rangers the Stanley Cup. I was never so proud of her.

Old
02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
About 10 years ago, someone asked my then 12-year-old daughter (who would scream "Potvin Sucks" at the top of her lungs) if she even knew who Potvin was and why he sucked. She shot him a look and said that he sucked ever since he cheap shotted Ulfie Nielssen (wonder where she heard that? ) during the 1979 playoffs and cost the Rangers the Stanley Cup. I was never so proud of her.
Good for her!

Old
02-17-2006, 08:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Great story.

Closed Thread