HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Glass Half Empty/full

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 08:23 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Glass Half Empty/full

I was reading what Guy was saying, and I figured I'd start this thread. What do you guys think? half empty or half full?

I think the glass is 3/4 full!

The biggest thing I look at is Brewer. He hasn't played good. No where near what he is capable of. BUT - he is getting his points and he is on the right side of the +/-. If this is the bad, boy will the good ever be sweet!! I think Brewer breaks out and gets 36-38 points this year! Heck, he's played bad the first few games, and he's on pace for 41 points! Boy, look out if/when he turns it on!

Also for the positive. Smyth is only going to get better and better. He is still only a few games into this thing at center, and the longer he plays there the better he'll get at it. His play has been good so far this season and it SHOULD improve with the increasing level of comfort as a pivot!

So really, what I see is a team, who's players are getting their points, and have goog +/-'s and still aren't playing that good. A few are playing real good - Moreau and Reasoner would be my first six MVP's. Hemsky is lighting it up and he hasn't even had a great game yet! He will improve as the season goes along (although we should expect some rough spots for him too).
As a side note, I think another line that would be excellent together is a Moreau-Smyth-Hemsky line. Moreau was good with Hemsky last year, and his great grit and heavy shot would be a big boost to that line. Can't see that happening though as his defensive roll would then need to be filled by somebody else and we don't have anything who could be as good as Moreau there.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:49 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
definitely half full...

There are so many youngsters on this team that you see so many good things from on a night to night basis, that you can't help but be excited.

I am willing to put up with a crappy season if guys like Semenov, Hemsky, Bergeron, etc... are all continuing to make positive contributions and developing.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:27 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I am willing to put up with a crappy season if guys like Semenov, Hemsky, Bergeron, etc... are all continuing to make positive contributions and developing.
exactly

Old
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
definitely half full...

There are so many youngsters on this team that you see so many good things from on a night to night basis, that you can't help but be excited.

I third that.

It's still not completely full, so sometimes I get caught up in thinking aobut how to fill the glass, so to speak... but I'm pumped about the future of the organization.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:58 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
definitely half full...

I'm sure not.

This team is good enough that it should have alot more than a crappy season.

The fact that we should be 5-1 right now says that, the fact that we're 3-3 is very dissappointing, and shows we need to have a more consistent effort, and possibly make a deal or two (I've been sayin it since the summer), and then we can contend for a high playoff spot and go from there. To continue the progress of the team, we have to follow that path. Going backwards would be horrendous timing.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:59 AM
IceDragoon

I see it as a big glass, that started out half empty/full in 2000. It has had portions poured out and in, and has been placed under a slowly, dripping experience faucet. It's now about 2/3 full and should be about 3/4, with a much more cohesive nature, by the end of this season.

I study character, and I have not seen this much character in over a decade, nor this much young character in over 2 decades.

I'll try to be patient, while they are 'morphing', because there will be growing pains.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:04 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I'm sure not.

This team is good enough that it should have alot more than a crappy season.

The fact that we should be 5-1 right now says that, the fact that we're 3-3 is very dissappointing, and shows we need to have a more consistent effort, and possibly make a deal or two (I've been sayin it since the summer), and then we can contend for a high playoff spot and go from there. To continue the progress of the team, we have to follow that path. Going backwards would be horrendous timing.
I apologize, I was not completely clear.

When I said crappy, I meant a very up and down season that culminates into an 8th seed.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:23 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
I apologize, I was not completely clear.

When I said crappy, I meant a very up and down season that culminates into an 8th seed.
I knew that actually. I'd consider that kind of finish going backwards (even though "technically" it's not).

Closed Thread