HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu signs 3 years at 4,75 per year.

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Koivu signs 3 years at 4,75 per year.

Too much IMO, way too much.

Finnish link
http://www.iltalehti.fi

Edit. A short translation to those who for some reason don't understand Finnish.

"Hockey player Saku Koivu's career continues with the Motreal Canadiens. Koivu signed a deal with the Canadian club for three years. The contract brings Koivu 4,75 million USD a season. Total value of the deal is 14,25 M$.

I'm very satisfied that the deal was made in good time. The negotiations went very well. I believe that Montreal can build a succesful team during next two years, Koivu commented.

We thought about all options in the family. There really was no reason to leave Montreal. We like it in here and my position in the tem and in the organisation is good. This was the best option."

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 02-11-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old
02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
AH

Disgusting contract. About $1 million more than what I would have given.

Old
02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
ppil

Cool lets have the same team for the three next years... Our only hope is that Koivu brings us an other Finnish player aka Jokinen but noway it happens...

Old
02-11-2006, 09:56 AM
bOrEd-

that'S a LOT of money

Old
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
mcphee

About 1M more than what I thought the ceiling figure would be. I don't believe Gainey is any way less intelligent than any of our hf analysts, again it shows how it's difficult to presume value. Still, I find this kind of shocking. Glad he'll be around though.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
OilerOlli*

That's too much.
Such money should only get the absolute superstars in that game!

Old
02-11-2006, 10:03 AM
BigTimer*

I hope this is a joke.

I've always supported Gainey's actions but this one makes me feel sick to my stomach... And I can tell you I haven't had that feeling since Houle was in office. Hopefully we ditch either Koivu or Theo at the deadline or else we're in big trouble come two years from now.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
No way. I am going to wait for another source before freaking out.

It's on RDS.ca but without the terms...yet.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Bill McNeal

I love Koivu, but if this is true Gainey is awful when it comes to contracts. 14.75 million wrapped up in Koivu, Kovalev and Theodore... Not the best way to spend your money. A guy who's injured half the season, a guy who doesn't show up half the season and a guy who hasn't shown up all season.

I'm really not optimistic with regards to this team improving any time soon...

Old
02-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Turbo

Let's not start bashing another player because of his contract. Yes, it's probably a little higher than we expected but not by much (I though 4-4.5/year). Don't forget that longer contracts tend to be more expensive because you pay a premium to buy away the rights to free agency.

I like the fact that a player will stay in Montreal for the long run. So little team loyalty around the league these days.

Chances are also very low that the Habs could pick-up a better center through free agency this summer - there are very few available.

Bottom line is that it's on the ice that it happens. Let's wait and see. Worse come to worse, Koivu will keep a lot of trade value down the road.

Food for thought: With Koivu's contract, you have to expect that other large contracts will be dumped because Bob will certainly look to pick-up additional help through trades or during the off-season. This is a strong suggestion to me that Theo is playing his last season in Montreal. Bonk & Dandenault's contracts could be dumped as well should better players come along.

PS:
confirmed on RDS.com , but they say the terms of the agreement were not revealed.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
DougHarvey

it's also on RDS

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/

Old
02-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Contracts like the really ugly Zhamnov one may have hurt the Habs in this case if it's really 4.75 per year.

I'll be pissed if a younger and better Jokinen gets less on the market or from FLA.

Most of the french media is gonna have a field day and rip this move, no doubt

Saku, you better put up point per game numbers during these 3 years and look a whole lot better than you have since that groin injury.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
Food for thought: With Koivu's contract, you have to expect that other large contracts will be dumped because Bob will certainly look to pick-up additional help through trades or during the off-season. This is a strong suggestion to me that Theo is playing his last season in Montreal. Bonk & Dandenault's contracts could be dumped as well should better players come along.
Dumping contracts is easier said than done. Nobody would touch Bonk with a tenfoot pole, ditto with Theodore. And if the numbers are true for the Koivu contract, his trade value just went down a lot as well.

Habs are putting themselves in a very bad position.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:11 AM
TK79

If Gainey hadn't given Koivu 4,75 m per/yr, someone else would have. Then you would all be *****ing about how you lost Koivu for nothing.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Archijerej

First of all, great to see him in Montreal for three more years. Second one, Koivu is one of the few players on that team that I can accept beeing overpaid. It won't hurt us unless injuries will hunt him. It's still much better than Theodore's, Souray's, Rivet's etc. contracts.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
tiredman

We could have kept this money for Brad Richards...

Old
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
If Gainey hadn't given Koivu 4,75 m per/yr, someone else would have. Then you would all be *****ing about how you lost Koivu for nothing.
Well losing a 2nd line center for close to 5 million in cap space seems like a fair deal.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
IMO, that's great news for the Canadiens. I just guess we see too much Koivu every year to fully realize how much he's worth on the market. It's so much easier to talk about the value of guys we see a handful of times every year, such as Jokinen. Evaluating what already is in our own backyard is a different story.

Another key player under contract, I don't feel Koivu, Kovalev and Markov are bad choices as key players, let's build around that core, give Koivu some help at center, give Markov another top defenseman to work with, give Huet the Vezina and give Sundstrom a plane ticket for Australia!

Old
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
No, we'd understand it was too much and tell the fans of the team that signed him that he's a great guy, but not a 5 million dollar player.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
AH

Bob better be working on getting a real 1st line center (or at least a Koivu equivalebt). I can't see us contending for a Stanley Cup on our 100th anniversary with a 34 year old Koivu and Ribeiro as top two centers.

I am not agianst Keeping Koivu, but keeping him as the team's main offensive pivot is just disgusting.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456
We could have kept this money for Brad Richards...
Sure, it's like, you offer and he signs right? Isn't it what Gainey did with Foote and Aucoin and we ended up with Dandenault? I'd rather make sure I keep Koivu then, he's a ppg player whatever we say, and a #1 center on many teams. San Jose signed a 60-pts a year Marleau to over 5 a year and still had room for Nabokov, Thornton and Cheechoo...

Old
02-11-2006, 10:15 AM
oli500

. Hopefuly this is going to get him going. I wanted him to stay a hab. If theres one hab I could not see in a other uniform its koivu.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Pat

damn, I was really hoping the Habs and Koivu would part ways after this year. I was hoping Koivu would get a fresh start somewhere else and we'd get a new number one centerman and capitain.
I DON'T hate Saku, far from there, but I just think the Habs and Koivu need to part ways. as long as Koivu stays here, we won't ever have a real number one centerman.
and I don't think he's a true capitain. sure he's plays with heart and grit, but I don't see true leadership qualities from him. the qualities guys like Gainey and Carbonneau had.
anyways, I was hoping for a new start with the core of our team.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
Well losing a 2nd line center for close to 5 million in cap space seems like a fair deal.
Who's your first-line center then? Ribs??

Old
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shown...ntent=h021113A

How much money does Montreal have committed for 2006-07?

Besides the nearly $15 million committed to Koivu,Theodore and Kovalev

Closed Thread