HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

In Year Three - Rogers could finally cash in with HNIC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2017, 06:41 AM
  #26
jason2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan75 View Post
Since it's confirmed to be Toronto vs Washington I wonder if NBC might want to cover it a lot more since they can now use Matthews vs Ovechkin, both were 1st overall picks, Ovechkin won the Calder and Matthews is likely to win it this year. Plus with Matthews being American might look good to them.
I think it will depend on if Toronto can hang in if they lose game 1 3-1 and game 2 4-2 sure they might but if they lose game 1 8-2 and game 2 6-1 I doubt it.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
  #27
GoalDeny
Registered User
 
GoalDeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Name one network that has not only ever shown all first round series let alone produced them.
That wasn't the issue. Last year Rogers used the RSNs instead of the NBCSN broadcasts.

GoalDeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:16 AM
  #28
SCBlueLiner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post

Safe to say we know who Rogers is rooting for.


Honestly guys, I'm not a Leafs fan and am sitting here in the middle of the U.S. and when I saw that intro Saturday night even I got a few chills run down my back. I was glued to that game and then went back and forth when the NCAA Championship started because of the atmosphere and implications of the Leafs/Pens game. That intro was excellent at setting the mood for that game.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:42 PM
  #29
Roadrage
Registered User
 
Roadrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Next door
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Safe to say we know who Rogers is rooting for.



I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:57 PM
  #30
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,742
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."
That was the opening to HNIC this past Saturday. They weren't airing a Senators game.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:29 PM
  #31
Roadrage
Registered User
 
Roadrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Next door
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
That was the opening to HNIC this past Saturday. They weren't airing a Senators game.
Don't recall them airing a Habs or Jets game either but they were still sprinkled in.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:58 PM
  #32
CokenoPepsi
Registered User
 
CokenoPepsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Isn't TSN the more profitable network of the two? How is TSN destroyed?
Are they? It would probably take some creative accounting... but with no more big name sports properties outside of the NFL it wouldn't surprise me as they have no real money obligations.

The Viewers are with Sportsnet though

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:55 PM
  #33
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."
It may be Toronto biased, but Leafs made the playoffs for first time in a while, it's okay they are a bit exited.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:02 PM
  #34
MapleLeafsFan75
Registered User
 
MapleLeafsFan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick
That was the opening to HNIC this past Saturday. They weren't airing a Senators game.
The Senators had already played in the afternoon against the Rangers and it was a national game on the Sportsnet channels.

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:52 PM
  #35
skeena1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalDeny View Post
That wasn't the issue. Last year Rogers used the RSNs instead of the NBCSN broadcasts.
But carrying one over the other - how is that cheaping out? Are you saying they have to pay a free to pick up another broadcast - and that NBCSN would cost more?

Also don't forget picking up regional feeds in the first round would help them avoid having TSN announcers on their channel. Although I'm pretty sure that has occasionally happened.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 08:15 AM
  #36
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,231
vCash: 500
Where Rogers is missing the boat on more cash is they could have been airing 2hr shows broadcasted to the local Toronto market every night all week about the Leafs drive to the playoffs. Even casual fans are buzzing about the Leafs.

Yes it's pretty obvious Leafs and Maclean are the reason they will be making more cash this year.
The Only reason an Ottawa/Toronto matchup may have been preferred is because it would have guaranteed one of them advances to round 2. Rogers will get more views in round one by the two teams not facing one another. Not too many Canadians would watch a 12:30 game if their team isn't playing.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:31 PM
  #37
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Burke the Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 50
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 11:20 PM
  #38
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,844
vCash: 10000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Also don't forget picking up regional feeds in the first round would help them avoid having TSN announcers on their channel. Although I'm pretty sure that has occasionally happened.

Saturday night they had no choice but to take NBC's feed from Chicago as there was no other option.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:32 AM
  #39
jason2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.
Its interesting if ratings were as good as many projected we would be hearing about it I find it odd and abit concerning Rogers has said nothing.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 12:29 PM
  #40
CokenoPepsi
Registered User
 
CokenoPepsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Its interesting if ratings were as good as many projected we would be hearing about it I find it odd and abit concerning Rogers has said nothing.
It sunday of a long weekend you wont hear anything until tuesday

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:50 AM
  #41
BM14
Registered User
 
BM14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
Are they? It would probably take some creative accounting... but with no more big name sports properties outside of the NFL it wouldn't surprise me as they have no real money obligations.

The Viewers are with Sportsnet though
I'm going to assume you aren't aware that TSN has tons of regional games of the Canadian teams....and just how valuable the NFL broadcasts are...

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:11 AM
  #42
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,844
vCash: 10000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
It sunday of a long weekend you wont hear anything until tuesday
Easter Monday is an holiday for many in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM14 View Post
I'm going to assume you aren't aware that TSN has tons of regional games of the Canadian teams....and just how valuable the NFL broadcasts are...
TSN makes a bundle on curling, the CFL, World Juniors without paying huge upfront costs. If you ever saw how few people actually produce SportsCentre behind the camera at the CFTO-TV complex in Toronto you would be stunned. Their highlight packages are mostly edited in Bristol, CT by ESPN and fed by fiber to Toronto.

Sportsnet has a real problem on their hands as the Blue Jays have not started the season well at 2-10. However they have a decent shot to see 4 Canadian teams advance to Round 2 as only Calgary appears doomed.

I think we are going to see big numbers for Saturday night with Toronto going to double OT.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 10:48 AM
  #43
jason2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
CokenoPepsi

Tsn now has the Ufc rights as well as they got most tennis rights from Sportsnet.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 11:14 AM
  #44
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser
 
End on a Hinote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Speaking of the post season Canadian content, I'm personally somewhat glad all 7 failed to make it in last year. It really put into perspective just how important having a strong Canadian presence is and how much more exciting, even for no playoff fans such as myself, the post season is with them.

Without the Canadian teams, last years playoffs were as dry as overcooked chicken compared to this year.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:30 PM
  #45
CokenoPepsi
Registered User
 
CokenoPepsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Easter Monday is an holiday for many in Ontario.



TSN makes a bundle on curling, the CFL, World Juniors without paying huge upfront costs. If you ever saw how few people actually produce SportsCentre behind the camera at the CFTO-TV complex in Toronto you would be stunned. Their highlight packages are mostly edited in Bristol, CT by ESPN and fed by fiber to Toronto.

Sportsnet has a real problem on their hands as the Blue Jays have not started the season well at 2-10. However they have a decent shot to see 4 Canadian teams advance to Round 2 as only Calgary appears doomed.

I think we are going to see big numbers for Saturday night with Toronto going to double OT.
Even a crappy Blue Jays team will still outdraw any CFL game I believe with ratings taking a huge tumble there.

Yes TSN has world juniors but that is for two weeks a year, they do have the NFL but until the playoffs the NHL beats it (and even in the playoffs those games are on CTV)

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:33 AM
  #46
Pilky01
Registered User
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
Speaking of the post season Canadian content, I'm personally somewhat glad all 7 failed to make it in last year. It really put into perspective just how important having a strong Canadian presence is and how much more exciting, even for no playoff fans such as myself, the post season is with them.

Without the Canadian teams, last years playoffs were as dry as overcooked chicken compared to this year.
This has been my perspective for years. My team is the Leafs, but if my team can't win then I want to see teams from cities that generate hype succeed. People will say that is anti-southern bias or hockey snobbery but its just the simple fact that the presence of cities where hockey (or whatever televised sport I am watching) is a significant, mainstream local passion makes the playoffs more exciting as a viewer.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:42 AM
  #47
BM14
Registered User
 
BM14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Easter Monday is an holiday for many in Ontario.



TSN makes a bundle on curling, the CFL, World Juniors without paying huge upfront costs. If you ever saw how few people actually produce SportsCentre behind the camera at the CFTO-TV complex in Toronto you would be stunned. Their highlight packages are mostly edited in Bristol, CT by ESPN and fed by fiber to Toronto.

Sportsnet has a real problem on their hands as the Blue Jays have not started the season well at 2-10. However they have a decent shot to see 4 Canadian teams advance to Round 2 as only Calgary appears doomed.

I think we are going to see big numbers for Saturday night with Toronto going to double OT.
Interesting note about the editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
CokenoPepsi

Tsn now has the Ufc rights as well as they got most tennis rights from Sportsnet.
Formula 1 is huge as well.

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:57 AM
  #48
tooncesmeow
Registered User
 
tooncesmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.
Damien Cox was on the FAN590 this morning and said Thursday did 2.5M and I think he said Saturday did 3.5M or triple their typical saturday numbers.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:48 AM
  #49
varano
Registered User
 
varano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Does anyone know why CBC is still being used for the HNIC platform and not a rogers channel?

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:41 AM
  #50
CBCnutcase
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Its interesting if ratings were as good as many projected we would be hearing about it I find it odd and abit concerning Rogers has said nothing.
Rogers has talked about it and the ratings were good.

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/04/st...uper-saturday/

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.