HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

In Year Three - Rogers could finally cash in with HNIC

Old
04-10-2017, 06:41 AM
jason2020

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan75 View Post
Since it's confirmed to be Toronto vs Washington I wonder if NBC might want to cover it a lot more since they can now use Matthews vs Ovechkin, both were 1st overall picks, Ovechkin won the Calder and Matthews is likely to win it this year. Plus with Matthews being American might look good to them.
I think it will depend on if Toronto can hang in if they lose game 1 3-1 and game 2 4-2 sure they might but if they lose game 1 8-2 and game 2 6-1 I doubt it.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
GoalDeny

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Name one network that has not only ever shown all first round series let alone produced them.
That wasn't the issue. Last year Rogers used the RSNs instead of the NBCSN broadcasts.

GoalDeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:16 AM
SCBlueLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post

Safe to say we know who Rogers is rooting for.

Honestly guys, I'm not a Leafs fan and am sitting here in the middle of the U.S. and when I saw that intro Saturday night even I got a few chills run down my back. I was glued to that game and then went back and forth when the NCAA Championship started because of the atmosphere and implications of the Leafs/Pens game. That intro was excellent at setting the mood for that game.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
Safe to say we know who Rogers is rooting for.

I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:57 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I think that's a Leafs commercial sprinkled with a little bit of the other playoff bound Canadian teams (sans Senators) and Crosby. Seriously...there was not a single second of Ottawa Senators footage in that entire 2+ minute "Toronto promo."
That was the opening to HNIC this past Saturday. They weren't airing a Senators game.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
That was the opening to HNIC this past Saturday. They weren't airing a Senators game.
Don't recall them airing a Habs or Jets game either but they were still sprinkled in.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:58 PM
CokenoPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Isn't TSN the more profitable network of the two? How is TSN destroyed?
Are they? It would probably take some creative accounting... but with no more big name sports properties outside of the NFL it wouldn't surprise me as they have no real money obligations.

The Viewers are with Sportsnet though

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:55 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
It may be Toronto biased, but Leafs made the playoffs for first time in a while, it's okay they are a bit exited.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:02 PM
MapleLeafsFan75

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick
The Senators had already played in the afternoon against the Rangers and it was a national game on the Sportsnet channels.

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:52 PM
skeena1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalDeny View Post
That wasn't the issue. Last year Rogers used the RSNs instead of the NBCSN broadcasts.
But carrying one over the other - how is that cheaping out? Are you saying they have to pay a free to pick up another broadcast - and that NBCSN would cost more?

Also don't forget picking up regional feeds in the first round would help them avoid having TSN announcers on their channel. Although I'm pretty sure that has occasionally happened.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Confucius

Where Rogers is missing the boat on more cash is they could have been airing 2hr shows broadcasted to the local Toronto market every night all week about the Leafs drive to the playoffs. Even casual fans are buzzing about the Leafs.

Yes it's pretty obvious Leafs and Maclean are the reason they will be making more cash this year.
The Only reason an Ottawa/Toronto matchup may have been preferred is because it would have guaranteed one of them advances to round 2. Rogers will get more views in round one by the two teams not facing one another. Not too many Canadians would watch a 12:30 game if their team isn't playing.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 10000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Also don't forget picking up regional feeds in the first round would help them avoid having TSN announcers on their channel. Although I'm pretty sure that has occasionally happened.

Saturday night they had no choice but to take NBC's feed from Chicago as there was no other option.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:32 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
If Rogers isnt pulling a massive rating from this saturday night Leafs OT game their execs must be getting depressed.
Its interesting if ratings were as good as many projected we would be hearing about it I find it odd and abit concerning Rogers has said nothing.

Old
04-16-2017, 12:29 PM
CokenoPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Its interesting if ratings were as good as many projected we would be hearing about it I find it odd and abit concerning Rogers has said nothing.
It sunday of a long weekend you wont hear anything until tuesday

Old
04-17-2017, 03:50 AM
BM14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
Are they? It would probably take some creative accounting... but with no more big name sports properties outside of the NFL it wouldn't surprise me as they have no real money obligations.

The Viewers are with Sportsnet though
I'm going to assume you aren't aware that TSN has tons of regional games of the Canadian teams....and just how valuable the NFL broadcasts are...

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:11 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 10000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokenoPepsi View Post
It sunday of a long weekend you wont hear anything until tuesday
Easter Monday is an holiday for many in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM14 View Post
I'm going to assume you aren't aware that TSN has tons of regional games of the Canadian teams....and just how valuable the NFL broadcasts are...
TSN makes a bundle on curling, the CFL, World Juniors without paying huge upfront costs. If you ever saw how few people actually produce SportsCentre behind the camera at the CFTO-TV complex in Toronto you would be stunned. Their highlight packages are mostly edited in Bristol, CT by ESPN and fed by fiber to Toronto.

Sportsnet has a real problem on their hands as the Blue Jays have not started the season well at 2-10. However they have a decent shot to see 4 Canadian teams advance to Round 2 as only Calgary appears doomed.

I think we are going to see big numbers for Saturday night with Toronto going to double OT.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 10:48 AM
jason2020

CokenoPepsi

Tsn now has the Ufc rights as well as they got most tennis rights from Sportsnet.

Old
04-17-2017, 11:14 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Speaking of the post season Canadian content, I'm personally somewhat glad all 7 failed to make it in last year. It really put into perspective just how important having a strong Canadian presence is and how much more exciting, even for no playoff fans such as myself, the post season is with them.

Without the Canadian teams, last years playoffs were as dry as overcooked chicken compared to this year.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:30 PM
CokenoPepsi

Quote:

TSN makes a bundle on curling, the CFL, World Juniors without paying huge upfront costs. If you ever saw how few people actually produce SportsCentre behind the camera at the CFTO-TV complex in Toronto you would be stunned. Their highlight packages are mostly edited in Bristol, CT by ESPN and fed by fiber to Toronto.

Sportsnet has a real problem on their hands as the Blue Jays have not started the season well at 2-10. However they have a decent shot to see 4 Canadian teams advance to Round 2 as only Calgary appears doomed.

I think we are going to see big numbers for Saturday night with Toronto going to double OT.
Even a crappy Blue Jays team will still outdraw any CFL game I believe with ratings taking a huge tumble there.

Yes TSN has world juniors but that is for two weeks a year, they do have the NFL but until the playoffs the NHL beats it (and even in the playoffs those games are on CTV)

Old
04-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
Speaking of the post season Canadian content, I'm personally somewhat glad all 7 failed to make it in last year. It really put into perspective just how important having a strong Canadian presence is and how much more exciting, even for no playoff fans such as myself, the post season is with them.

Without the Canadian teams, last years playoffs were as dry as overcooked chicken compared to this year.
This has been my perspective for years. My team is the Leafs, but if my team can't win then I want to see teams from cities that generate hype succeed. People will say that is anti-southern bias or hockey snobbery but its just the simple fact that the presence of cities where hockey (or whatever televised sport I am watching) is a significant, mainstream local passion makes the playoffs more exciting as a viewer.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:42 AM
BM14

Quote:

Interesting note about the editing.

Quote:
CokenoPepsi

Tsn now has the Ufc rights as well as they got most tennis rights from Sportsnet.
Formula 1 is huge as well.

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:57 AM
tooncesmeow

Quote:
Damien Cox was on the FAN590 this morning and said Thursday did 2.5M and I think he said Saturday did 3.5M or triple their typical saturday numbers.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:48 AM
varano

Does anyone know why CBC is still being used for the HNIC platform and not a rogers channel?

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:41 AM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Quote:
Rogers has talked about it and the ratings were good.

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/04/st...uper-saturday/

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote