HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2017, 09:50 AM
  #1
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,781
vCash: 50
NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part II

Continued from: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2096735

Let's try to stay on topic - the last couple of pages of the previous thread were littered with discussions of our previous prospects. It's fine to mention them in comparison to the players available in the current draft, but if you want to have in-depth discussions of them, it's probably best to take the conversation to a more appropriate thread.

Some posts from last thread to start us off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
PREDICTION
Jets win lottery........ then precede to trade down with Vegas (5th) for immediate help on D. VEGAS THEN PICKS Patrick 1st OA....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
If we win the lottery we are not trading that pick. Patrick may have chilled a bit this season but with Scheifele and Patrick as our 1-2 punch this team wins multiple cups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
You sound like Edmonton in 2012 (Yakopov).........

Who......is to say Glass at 5 is more like Schief was in 2012.......

GLASS is a riser like Schief was in 2012 and Patrick is falling out of 1st OA by many ....... still holding on based on his play from 2 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Patrick will go one, look at last year not his injury riddled season this year. This kid will be motivated, he will be an elite centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Patrick may not be Matthews or McDavid but he is going to be a very very good centre in the NHL. I love Glass so if he falls to us at 13 (not likely) I will be very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
Nico Hischier out of Halfax Mooseheads would look good centering Ehlers and Laine.

Karma/ good will based on our 7 game win streak to close the season will get the lottery balls to fall our way once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
That would be nice....less exciting than last year but a top pick is always great. Common Karma!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Most likely not. And I think now more likely we take a D. Heiskanen, makar, valimaki, foote or Hague most likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I would like a D man and there will be nice options, two of Heiskanen, Makar, Valimaki, and Foote will be there when we pick in my opinion.

I would pass on Hague at 13 from what I have seen in my limited viewings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I have been thinking lately if both Foote and Makar are there at 13 who do you take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
I would probably take Foote, a little less risky.

Need Philly & LA to win today then we will probably draft 11th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Makar for me

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 10:21 AM
  #2
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24,250
vCash: 300
Current Craigs List

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-...chier-1.702428

1. Nolan Patrick
2. Nico Hischier
3. Martin Necas
4. Gabe Vilardi
5. Cale Makar
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Cody Glass
8. Timothy Liljegren
9. Ryan Poehling
10. Nick Suzuki
11. Miro Heiskanen
12. Elias Petterssen
13. Eeli Tolvainen
14. Kailer Yamamoto
15. Lias Anderson
16. Michael Rasmussen

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
  #3
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Current Craigs List

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-...chier-1.702428

1. Nolan Patrick
2. Nico Hischier
3. Martin Necas
4. Gabe Vilardi
5. Cale Makar
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Cody Glass
8. Timothy Liljegren
9. Ryan Poehling
10. Nick Suzuki
11. Miro Heiskanen
12. Elias Petterssen
13. Eeli Tolvainen
14. Kailer Yamamoto
15. Lias Anderson
16. Michael Rasmussen
Lots of disparities in all the lists. mynhldraft.com has a link for draft rankings from all the different sources and they are all over the place. But if Liljegren or Heiskanen ever fell to us I would not be able to contain myself.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:05 AM
  #4
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24,250
vCash: 300
The best results for our draft position today are

Flyers get at least 1 point
LAK get 2 points (they win all tiebreak scenarios)

Then both will finish above us in the standings
Carolina can no longer finish above us since we own the ROW tiebreaker.

We will finish (without Vegas factor) 10th 11th or 12th

We will draft either 1,2,3,11,12,13,14,or 15

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:06 AM
  #5
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
A lot of people post their "hope for" choices, but I'm curious to know which prospects that are projected to be first rounders people are absolutely dead set against being our pick. I'm talking Stanley-esque disdain, that will have people screaming for Chevy's head.

I need this information to form my pessimist list so that I can react immediately with an appropriate level of horror without having to run to my computer to see if there is any wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
  #6
DK59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
A lot of people post their "hope for" choices, but I'm curious to know which prospects that are projected to be first rounders people are absolutely dead set against being our pick. I'm talking Stanley-esque disdain, that will have people screaming for Chevy's head.

I need this information to form my pessimist list so that I can react immediately with an appropriate level of horror without having to run to my computer to see if there is any wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.
That is a very good question, especially given the lack of any kind of clear consensus from around picks 5 to 15 or so. Of the players showing up in that range I would be disappointed if we took either Rasmussen or Poehling.

DK59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:40 AM
  #7
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 777
Rasmussen is the statzis worst nightmare

I have had one scout tell me they have Poehling as the 2nd best guy in the draft. This is a team in the east that drafts very well

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:44 AM
  #8
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Rasmussen is the statzis worst nightmare

I have had one scout tell me they have Poehling as the 2nd best guy in the draft. This is a team in the east that drafts very well
I know zero about Poehling but his numbers are pedestrian at best? Have you seen him play Joe?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
  #9
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I know zero about Poehling but his numbers are pedestrian at best? Have you seen him play Joe?
Once this year and he is a big raw kid very similar to Schief in a bambi way.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:48 AM
  #10
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Once this year and he is a big raw kid very similar to Schief in a bambi way.
Interesting now that our season is done I will have to go find out a bit about a few of these kids.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 11:58 AM
  #11
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
A lot of people post their "hope for" choices, but I'm curious to know which prospects that are projected to be first rounders people are absolutely dead set against being our pick. I'm talking Stanley-esque disdain, that will have people screaming for Chevy's head.

I need this information to form my pessimist list so that I can react immediately with an appropriate level of horror without having to run to my computer to see if there is any wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.
Picking between 11-13 I'd want the Jets to stay away from Rasmussen, Hague, Poehling, Kostin, Bowers, Comtois, Popugayev, or any goalie.
I'm not sure about Foote there or Makar but I wouldn't be terribly unhappy with either of them. Even though Tippet or Tolvanen would be good value picks in that range I really hope we don't draft another goal scoring winger.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:03 PM
  #12
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20,436
vCash: 50
Here is a post on Poehling by a poster that watches him and seems knowledgable:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=39

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:04 PM
  #13
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,274
vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
A lot of people post their "hope for" choices, but I'm curious to know which prospects that are projected to be first rounders people are absolutely dead set against being our pick. I'm talking Stanley-esque disdain, that will have people screaming for Chevy's head.

I need this information to form my pessimist list so that I can react immediately with an appropriate level of horror without having to run to my computer to see if there is any wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.
Not quite Stanleyesque for me but close is Makar. He could be the second coming of Bobby Orr but he plays against markedly inferior competition. Every thing he does, every play he makes is against a whole team of guys who could not make the roster of a WHL team. Of course he looks outstanding.

I'm not saying he isn't good, even great. I'm saying he is an unknown. I'm reserving judgement until I see him having played a significant amount against top competition.

I would rather not take the gamble.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:10 PM
  #14
Jetsetter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
I'm a Nicolas Hague fan for this years draft. 6' 6" 214 lbs. LHD. 48 points in 64 games and over a 100's in penalties. Sure he made a mistake earlier this year when he got suspended but everyone makes dumb mistakes.

Here's what other's have to say about him:

Nicolas Hague's Player Profile

ISS Hockey - Mar. 13th: "9 pts in last 8 games. Big, mobile dman, gearing up for OHL playoffs. Makes smart plays w/ puck."

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Plays in all situations, can anchor a PP. Some scouts think skating still an issue, others not that concerned about his feet. Very poised, well controlled now."

Mike Morreale - Feb. 23rd: "He brings an offensive dimension to his game," Hockey Canada head scout Ryan Jankowski said. "He's also effective in a shutdown role with that range, reach and the size he has. He's growing into his body and growing into his ability. I feel he's more than your typical huge physical defenseman; he's a guy who moves the puck very well and brings an offensive component to his game."

ISS Hockey - Feb. 12th: "Moves the puck well & shows good offensive instincts. Uses long reach to take away time/space."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "Hague (6-5, 206) is a fluid skater and can move the puck extremely well, enabling his team to create a lot of offense. He also has five power-play goals, second on Mississauga. The left-shot defenseman also is tough in the defensive end."

Future Considerations: "Hague has a great mix of size, skating and skill…shuts down the oppositions’ top lines and is a driver of the play…is physical and will give that extra shot to his opponent to leave a mark and an impression for the next time…doesn’t give his man room to breathe in front of the net…not shy with stepping in to lay the body, standing up his man with a solid check…controls the gap very well with strong position and good stick work…very balanced and surprisingly mobile for a big kid, he possesses a powerful lateral step"

That's why I'm in his corner in this draft. I predict we have 11 pick OA and he's our guy.

Jetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
  #15
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 50
If the Jets end up tied with the Flyers, Kings, and Hurricanes at 87 points, what is the draft order?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
  #16
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If the Jets end up tied with the Flyers, Kings, and Hurricanes at 87 points, what is the draft order?
ROW is next tiebreaker

so Flyers (32-33) and 'Canes (33-34) draft ahead of us (37) and LA (37-38).

If LA wins their game in a shootout, then an additional tiebreaker is needed

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 12:52 PM
  #17
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24,250
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
ROW is next tiebreaker

so Flyers (32-33) and 'Canes (33-34) draft ahead of us (37) and LA (37-38).

If LA wins their game in a shootout, then an additional tiebreaker is needed
LA would win the next tiebreaker against us (season series minus first game we played in LA) the third tiebreaker is GD.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 01:00 PM
  #18
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If the Jets end up tied with the Flyers, Kings, and Hurricanes at 87 points, what is the draft order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
ROW is next tiebreaker

so Flyers (32-33) and 'Canes (33-34) draft ahead of us (37) and LA (37-38).

If LA wins their game in a shootout, then an additional tiebreaker is needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
LA would win the next tiebreaker against us (season series minus first game we played in LA) the third tiebreaker is GD.
in conclusion the draft order would be:

Flyers
Hurricaines
Jets
Kings

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 02:42 PM
  #19
portamoral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
makar reminds me of morrissey a little bit. but with even better puck carrying abilities and hands


he's going to be the best Dman AINEC. if we end up picking 13 or something and he's still on the board i will be enraged if chevy doesn't take him.

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 03:12 PM
  #20
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Not quite Stanleyesque for me but close is Makar. He could be the second coming of Bobby Orr but he plays against markedly inferior competition. Every thing he does, every play he makes is against a whole team of guys who could not make the roster of a WHL team. Of course he looks outstanding.

I'm not saying he isn't good, even great. I'm saying he is an unknown. I'm reserving judgement until I see him having played a significant amount against top competition.

I would rather not take the gamble.
Did you have the same opinion of Fabbro and Jost last season?

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 03:12 PM
  #21
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by portamoral View Post
makar reminds me of morrissey a little bit. but with even better puck carrying abilities and hands


he's going to be the best Dman AINEC. if we end up picking 13 or something and he's still on the board i will be enraged if chevy doesn't take him.
He still has a boat load to prove against any of his peers. He tore up the AJHL which is still only the 2nd best Junior A league in Canada. He's having a great AJHL playoffs too as the Bandits are headed to the AJHL finals. A lot of his biggest fans like to point to the U19's as proof he can play against his draft peers but that tournament was filled with mostly Junior A players, low tier USHL guys and sprinkled with a few kids from major junior. But basically not any of the top 60 or so draft eligible kids so he really hasn't proven a damn thing against any of them. Not to say he won't become a really good defencemen but there's plenty of draft eligible defencemen that could skate cirlces around kids in the AJHL. Liljergen, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Foote, Minulin, Timmins and Hague included.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 03:26 PM
  #22
portamoral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
He still has a boat load to prove against any of his peers. He tore up the AJHL which is still only the 2nd best Junior A league in Canada. He's having a great AJHL playoffs too as the Bandits are headed to the AJHL finals. A lot of his biggest fans like to point to the U19's as proof he can play against his draft peers but that tournament was filled with mostly Junior A players, low tier USHL guys and sprinkled with a few kids from major junior. But basically not any of the top 60 or so draft eligible kids so he really hasn't proven a damn thing against any of them. Not to say he won't become a really good defencemen but there's plenty of draft eligible defencemen that could skate cirlces around kids in the AJHL. Liljergen, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Foote, Minulin, Timmins and Hague included.
i really don't care about the lesser competition arguments. he can flat out play and it doesn't take better players surrounding him to see that or project him. he'd be doing nearly the same thing in the CHL too.

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 03:43 PM
  #23
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by portamoral View Post
i really don't care about the lesser competition arguments. he can flat out play and it doesn't take better players surrounding him to see that or project him. he'd be doing nearly the same thing in the CHL too.
Much different competition. Just because you can wreck a Junior A league doesn't mean you'll do it at every single level above that. I've seen lots of kids come out of these leagues and do diddly squat at the next level.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 03:50 PM
  #24
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24,250
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsetter View Post
I'm a Nicolas Hague fan for this years draft. 6' 6" 214 lbs. LHD. 48 points in 64 games and over a 100's in penalties. Sure he made a mistake earlier this year when he got suspended but everyone makes dumb mistakes.

Here's what other's have to say about him:

Nicolas Hague's Player Profile

ISS Hockey - Mar. 13th: "9 pts in last 8 games. Big, mobile dman, gearing up for OHL playoffs. Makes smart plays w/ puck."

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Plays in all situations, can anchor a PP. Some scouts think skating still an issue, others not that concerned about his feet. Very poised, well controlled now."

Mike Morreale - Feb. 23rd: "He brings an offensive dimension to his game," Hockey Canada head scout Ryan Jankowski said. "He's also effective in a shutdown role with that range, reach and the size he has. He's growing into his body and growing into his ability. I feel he's more than your typical huge physical defenseman; he's a guy who moves the puck very well and brings an offensive component to his game."

ISS Hockey - Feb. 12th: "Moves the puck well & shows good offensive instincts. Uses long reach to take away time/space."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "Hague (6-5, 206) is a fluid skater and can move the puck extremely well, enabling his team to create a lot of offense. He also has five power-play goals, second on Mississauga. The left-shot defenseman also is tough in the defensive end."

Future Considerations: "Hague has a great mix of size, skating and skill…shuts down the oppositions’ top lines and is a driver of the play…is physical and will give that extra shot to his opponent to leave a mark and an impression for the next time…doesn’t give his man room to breathe in front of the net…not shy with stepping in to lay the body, standing up his man with a solid check…controls the gap very well with strong position and good stick work…very balanced and surprisingly mobile for a big kid, he possesses a powerful lateral step"

That's why I'm in his corner in this draft. I predict we have 11 pick OA and he's our guy.
If he's still on the board at 42-44 I'd take him in the second round

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
  #25
portamoral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Much different competition. Just because you can wreck a Junior A league doesn't mean you'll do it at every single level above that. I've seen lots of kids come out of these leagues and do diddly squat at the next level.
i know it doesn't make it certain. though not even looking at the numbers he's putting up or anything except the way he's doing it, you can accurately project him IMO. just looking at his tools and smarts you can see that his game will translate wherever he goes. sure the numbers could be seen as a mirage due to the competition, but the way he plays and his ability is certainly not and can be compared to the other top guys in the draft.

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.