Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Chevy is going over to the under-18's in Slovakia but I doubt he'll watch any of the games because he doesn't want to have any role in the drafting process.

Old
04-11-2017, 10:53 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Chevy is going over to the under-18's in Slovakia but I doubt he'll watch any of the games because he doesn't want to have any role in the drafting process.
I thought he was only going over to that area of the world to throw a fond fairwell party for Pavs, definitely won't be watching any hockey games :p

Old
04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Old
04-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Guilty Party
HealthyScratch 4lyfe

vCash: 155
Final NHL Central Scouting Rankings released.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2017

FWIW Heiskanen above Liljegren on the European side of things is interesting.

Old
04-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Kostin is a big darkhorse. He was very good at the Ivan Hlinka but not as good at some of the other tourneys.

Old
04-11-2017, 11:50 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Assuming no lottery win, would it be crazy to consider taking Oettinger with our pick? I know, BPA and hoodoos both say don't do it, but someone is going to take him before our second pick, and maybe reaching like this is what it takes to get a top tier goalie prospect into the system.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
mondo3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Assuming no lottery win, would it be crazy to consider taking Oettinger with our pick? I know, BPA and hoodoos both say don't do it, but someone is going to take him before our second pick, and maybe reaching like this is what it takes to get a top tier goalie prospect into the system.
I think "the board" would prefer us to draft/develop every position other than goalie, as it seems difficult to determine how they will develop.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
What else is he going to do? Watch playoffs on TV?

A couple years ago, Chevy said he likes to get out to do some scouting at the end of each year and that he usually sees between 50-70% of the key guys on their list play. He also said that its pretty dangerous, in the sense that he only sees a player one game so he doesn't use it to go against his scouts who have seen them play 10-20 times. Said he uses these games to ensure that he has at least some familiarity with some of the players to help with conversations in draft meetings.

Im not sure why any of this is so hard to understand. Chevy isn't personally selecting players or drawing up his own draft lists. I suspect you already know this but prefer keeping the narrative alive that Chevy (who spent ZERO days in any role amateur scouting before becoming a GM) is an elite draft whisperer.

Last edited by Blue Shakehead: 04-11-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old
04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomiller1 View Post
Got Winnipeg drafting 1st after 5 tries, so calling it quits. It's gonna happen

Not huge on Patrick like some, but he would still be an awesome piece to add to the Jets.

04-11-2017, 12:45 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post

A couple years ago, Chevy said he likes to get out to do some scouting at the end of each year and that he usually sees between 50-70% of the key guys on their list play. He also said that its pretty dangerous, in the sense that he only sees a player one game so he doesn't use it to go against his scouts who have seen them play 10-20 times. Said he uses these games to ensure that he has at least some familiarity with some of the players to help with conversations in draft meetings.

Im not sure why any of this is so hard to understand. Chevy isn't personally selecting players drawing up his own draft lists. I suspect you already know this but prefer keeping the narrative alive that Chevy (who spent ZERO days in any role amateur scouting before becoming a GM) is an elite draft whisperer.
I think Chevy's humorous quote was "I see the prospects just enough to be dangerous"

Old
04-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Whileee

Quote:

Im not sure why any of this is so hard to understand. Chevy isn't personally selecting players or drawing up his own draft lists. I suspect you already know this but prefer keeping the narrative alive that Chevy (who spent ZERO days in any role amateur scouting before becoming a GM) is an elite draft whisperer.
Nah. He just inherited a brilliant scouting staff from the Thrashers (Kane, Bogo, Burmi, Leveille, Bourret, Pavelec, Valabik, Coburn...). He's the Chauncey Gardiner of NHL GMs.

Old
04-11-2017, 01:20 PM
DRW204

Anyone think liljegren is being over scouted similar to chychrun?

Old
04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Kostin is a big darkhorse. He was very good at the Ivan Hlinka but not as good at some of the other tourneys.
Or any of the other league he played in, in Russia.

Old
04-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
Yep. The NHL is a league that never learns from its mistakes. It's quite comical.

Old
04-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Boggles my mind to have Kostin rated above Pettersson.

Also Hague is rated lower this year than Stanley was last year, kinda funny.

Old
04-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Nah. He just inherited a brilliant scouting staff from the Thrashers (Kane, Bogo, Burmi, Leveille, Bourret, Pavelec, Valabik, Coburn...). He's the Chauncey Gardiner of NHL GMs.
The funny thing is, Chevy did inherit a pretty good scouting staff from Atlanta - he must have, since with the exception of Director of Amateur Scouting, Dan Marr, everyone else was promoted.

Comeau came over as the Thrashers' Head Amateur Scout and was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting. Hillier then became Head Amateur Scout and has since taken over for Comeau as Director.

Bogdanovich was Atlanta's European scout, and he's now Director of European Scouting.

Dobson arrived from Atlanta as their Director of Pro Scouting and remains in that role to this day.

Tavis MacMillan and John Perpich came over and stayed with the Jets before moving on in the last few years as well.

So with the exception of Marr, the main players from the Thrashers' scouting staff are all the main players here!

Maybe it was Chevy's magic pixie dust that suddenly made them competent? Too bad that stuff doesn't work on goalies (or pro scouts)!

Old
04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
kxx
formerly 'fkdog'

vCash: 5797
Anyone have a nice organized list of which of the top 20 or so prospects will be playing in the U18? Can only find Canada's roster.

Old
04-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The funny thing is, Chevy did inherit a pretty good scouting staff from Atlanta - he must have, since with the exception of Director of Amateur Scouting, Dan Marr, everyone else was promoted.

Comeau came over as the Thrashers' Head Amateur Scout and was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting. Hillier then became Head Amateur Scout and has since taken over for Comeau as Director.

Bogdanovich was Atlanta's European scout, and he's now Director of European Scouting.

Dobson arrived from Atlanta as their Director of Pro Scouting and remains in that role to this day.

Tavis MacMillan and John Perpich came over and stayed with the Jets before moving on in the last few years as well.

So with the exception of Marr, the main players from the Thrashers' scouting staff are all the main players here!

Maybe it was Chevy's magic pixie dust that suddenly made them competent? Too bad that stuff doesn't work on goalies (or pro scouts)!
Yep. The guy who can't tell if Stuart or Chiarot are good or bad players after watching them play hundreds of games over several years is the expert on projecting 17 year olds who he may or may not have watched play a single game.

Last edited by Blue Shakehead: 04-11-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old
04-11-2017, 03:25 PM
kittiecarlyle

Quote:

He was on the road scouting for 20 plus days February 2015, of course maybe he just used that as an excuse to get away from the Winnipeg winter .

Old
04-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiecarlyle View Post
He was on the road scouting for 20 plus days February 2015, of course maybe he just used that as an excuse to get away from the Winnipeg winter .
Well considered we we're eliminated at December haha I would be scouting on the road too.

Old
04-11-2017, 03:49 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
Something feels like it is happening. Nothing that can't be reversed if he has a great U18's though. The market obviously chilled allot on Chychrun and I could see something similar with Liljegren.

Old
04-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

Quote:
I tend to agree, but if one of them isn't available I think the Jets should be able to nab a very high end forward from a group that would include Glass, Pettersson and Necas.

I think there is a pretty large tier after Patrick and Hischier that will extend to the Jets' slot at #12.

Patrick
Hischier

Vilardi
Mittelstadt
Tippett
Liljegren
Tolvanen
Heiskanen
Makar
Valimaki
Glass
Pettersson
Necas

If all the 4 D are gone by #12, the Jets might be looking at Hague and/or Foote, but the worst case scenario might be looking at a forward like Pettersson, Necas or Glass. I don't mind that as a consolation prize.
Very well thought out. Glass seems to be interesting enough to grant himself a very low draft number, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If we, for example, have a choice of Necas, Välimäki and Makar, which is not outside of the realms of possibility, we can do very well with our pick.

I reckon there are six guys who won't be available at 12 for sure: Patrick, Hirschier, Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt and even Tippett (Carolina and Los Angeles pick right before us, and both teams need scoring). We would only need two more forwards to go in the top 11 to ensure one of the four, but as you said, if that doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. There's always a chance to move down as well, if someone is willing to trade.

Old
04-11-2017, 04:23 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Yep. The guy who can't tell if Stuart or Chiarot are good or bad players after watching them play hundreds of games over several years is the expert on projecting 17 year olds who he may or may not have watched play a single game.
In fairness it might be apples and oranges because TNSE fall in love and get terrible situational blindness when it comes to their own family members based on things we can only guess on (Stu, Thor, Pavs). So far they don't seem to have the same weird loyalty issues with other people's kids (draft eligible prospects). Also PMo doesn't scout (thank god) and he probably has some serious blood on his hands when it comes to who gets used on his roster.

Old
04-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:

Trusting your scouts when you've seen the player yourself doesn't always happen. He's doing the right thing and the team is benefitting. I imagine he has a role in the hiring of some scouts?

Our team has done extremely well with our first rounders. If you want to find a way to turn that into a cabin quip feel free lol

Old
04-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
The first time in years I haven't paid much attention to the draft. From Finnish perspective it would be fun if the Jets took one of the highly touted defenders (Heiskanen, Välimäki or Vaakanainen). Since this is the Jets v2.0 the team absolutely must have it's new Selänne - Numminen tandem!

Seriously speaking I don't know. If they go for the need it should be either a big skilled C or puck moving D. Not sure about centers but this year but it looks like there's an abundance of defense men available. Little is getting old and not sure how many years there's left in the tank. So if there's a new Scheifele out there, then hopefully the scouts hit another jackpot. Then again, you can never have large enough pool of D-prospects in the system. Didn't really like the Stanley pick last year. This time they hopefully look for other traits than height.

By the way if the Jets hadn't gone on the win streak and finished with 8 to 10 points less, I can only imagine all the options on the table. That combined with last year's lottery win would have been pretty sick. Not that I'm rooting to lose games but it's pretty interesting thought.
Van lost their last 8 straight. It got them 2nd seed and a coaching change.

Closed Thread