HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Price of a 1st line Center Has Just Gone Through The Roof

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2006, 11:50 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
The Price of a 1st line Center Has Just Gone Through The Roof

Saku Koivu has just inked a 3 year deal with the Habs for $4.75 mill per year, including a no-trade clause.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...11_101704_5364

The price for a 1st line center has just gone out the roof, and makes me wonder if the Preds will EVER acquire and sign a legitimate one....

Old
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Saku Koivu has just inked a 3 year deal with the Habs for $4.75 mill per year, including a no-trade clause.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060211_101704_5364

The price for a 1st line center has just gone out the roof, and makes me wonder if the Preds will EVER acquire and sign a legitimate one....
Its hard to think that we will knowing Poile's track record. We draft the BPA and hardly ever are willing to trade up in a draft. We do not throw big bucks at players, and likely never will because we are a small market team with a very fiscally responsible management team. Lastly, Poile rarely makes the big trade, which trading for a 1st line center definitely will be.

Still, maybe we can get somone. I would hate to think that for some reason our general manager will once again ignore needs we have had for over 7 seasons (1st line center, and on defense, a physical but solid top 3/4 defensemen).

02-11-2006, 12:00 PM
vopatsrash

well, the good news about Kariya's contract is a) that it ends after next season and b) we have 4.5 million for one player slotted within our budget.

not saying i want to just kick kariya to the curb, but we'll have a chunk to put towards a top-ish center in June 2007 if we deem a 1st line center more important than kariya at that price.

also, this doesn't take into consideration the imminent raises of Hartnell and Vokoun, at least.

Old
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...11_101704_5364

Three more years of passing gas. If his interviews are an indication of his leadership in the dressing room, leave the bunk empty.

Old
02-11-2006, 12:28 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
What a terrible deal. Talk about overpaying for character and name. He is the Habs only worthwhile representative (sorry Jose and Ribiero) and they paid him handsomely.

I was actually hoping he'd hit the UFA market and be had for 3 to 3.5 million. If you combine Koivu with Legwand, we'd have a top 6 center that would play 82 games, had size, grit, desire.

Thought I would add that this probably pegs Arnott's value at close to 5 million as well. So much for getting him closer to 3.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-11-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old
02-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

I always thought Handzus in Philly would be a smart trade for you guys. He's big, gritty, and plays a solid two way game. While he might not scream "Big No. 1 centerman" he does his job well and would be in your price range. I don't know he's UFA status or whatever, but if he's signed longterm I'd trade one of your many D prospects for him.

Old
02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I always thought Handzus in Philly would be a smart trade for you guys. He's big, gritty, and plays a solid two way game. While he might not scream "Big No. 1 centerman" he does his job well and would be in your price range. I don't know he's UFA status or whatever, but if he's signed longterm I'd trade one of your many D prospects for him.
here here. his game is a lot like legwand's...and that lack of forecheck\backcheck with legwand out has killed us. i've long felt handzus is exactly the type of guy we need.

Old
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
here here. his game is a lot like legwand's...and that lack of forecheck\backcheck with legwand out has killed us. i've long felt handzus is exactly the type of guy we need.
I think Handzus would be a great pickup, and we can use the resources that we shouldn't be wasting on Witt to get him.

BTW, Vokoun's estimated value is somewhere near $10 million/year according to the deal Kolzig got from McPhee. I think Poile ought to refuse to deal with him out of principle.

Old
02-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Three cheers for Handzus.

Old
02-19-2006, 11:19 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
Three cheers for Handzus.
Sorry to rain on your parade but he is going no where. He is the team's MVP (not named Forsberg) and is Hitchcock's favorite player. Has led the team in ice time the past 3 seasons for a reason.

Old
02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Sorry to rain on your parade but he is going no where. He is the team's MVP (not named Forsberg) and is Hitchcock's favorite player. Has led the team in ice time the past 3 seasons for a reason.

We're so fortunate to have someone so keyed-in to the situation, right here on our board!

So tell me, when Clarke is ready to pull the trigger on a big deal...does he consult you by telephone, or e-mail?

The Flyers board could have used you over the summer, when I inquired about the availability of Danny Markov, and was shunned immediately, citing his playoff heroics and much-beloved warrior mentality. To think, all these armchair GMs and we have someone with "the scoop" in our midst.

Old
02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
dulzhok

I've been disappointed in Handzus this year.

He's getting close to 20 minutes of ice time a game (thanks to injuries to Primeau and Forsberg), and he's only got 8 goals.

He seems to be the type of player that absolutely thrives on the third-line, but disappoints when given a go-to scoring role.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-20-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old
02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I've been disappointed in Handzus this year.

He's getting close to 20 minutes of ice time a game (thanks to injuries to Primeau and Forsberg), and he's only got 8 goals.

He seems to be the type of player that absolutely thrives on the third-line, but disappoints when given a go-to scoring role.

That's always been the story with him, from what I understand.

Old
02-20-2006, 04:11 PM
dulzhok

Sadly, I don't see a great fix to our never ending search for a true scoringline center. Sillinger was probably the best option. No way should we've vastly overpaid for the over-rated Doug Weight. The price of Jokinen is going to be through the roof. Hopefully Silly can heat up on the home stretch. Maybe Legwand had a huge revelaltion on how to score goals while he was injurued.

Old
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
dulzhok

UFA 2006 center options:

Koivu was the only guy who I felt was the perfect fit for us. That's now not going to happen. Other center options:

Best options, but still not great

Arnott: He's pretty incosistent, but is likely the best option. Would be afraid to give him a long-term deal, considering his history of laziness. One has to think that will only increase as he goes into his 30's.

Allison: Still a question mark, but might come cheap.

Savard: Has got the offense we want, but lacks in defensive abilities. Also, may command big dollar.

Sakic: I'll put him here since he's UFA, but it's likely he's going back to Colorado.

Jokinen: Good, but he's going to get big-time money. If he commands over 5 million (likely), we'll have to move on. He's just not that good.

Cheap, stop-gap solutions that might over perform

Bulis: seems to be getting better as his career progresses.
McCauley: Is stuck behind Thornton and Marleau. Would be decent, but not "the answer".
Reinprecht: failed in Calgary with a scoringline role.

Don't want them, but they've got a big name

Roenick: over the hill
Weight: see above
Rucchin: solid, but can't handle scoringline role anymore
Lindros: no need to say more

Old
02-20-2006, 06:25 PM
muddycreek*

READ MY LIPS>>>>>>>Play the hand we got. I like our team as is.We've got some wings that have center potential. Roll our own? We don't have to grab for the whole ball of wax at once. Stay with the long range plan that brought us here. It's not too late for Legwand, Sillinger, Yanic, Nichol, or even Hall, Harts. Seems to me our most pressing problem is getting folks to fire one at the net! It seems we are MUCH more sucessful when we have the most shots on net or at least stay close. Being way behind the other team is a perscription for disaster two out of three times. Stand Harts, Hall, or Nichol in front of the crease are let-er rip! We're not paying Korea or Sully to pass the puck. Darned sure can't score goals when the puck aint put on the net. If puck put on net what can happen? (1) score, (2) rebound and score, (3) draw penalty (4) regain posession, (5) lose posession. Four of five are positive. Hold/Pass the pick; (1) lose the puck (2) draw penalty, (3) retain the puck. Two of three are positive BUT NO SCORE results. SHOOT the darned opuck! Keep someone in front of the crease. SHOOT the darned puck. Four top six centers will NOT fix the problem of getting outshot! we've got the prettiest passing team in the league!

Old
02-20-2006, 07:28 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
READ MY LIPS>>>>>>>Play the hand we got.
My previous post was referring to the offseason. I'm 98.3% sure Poile is done dealing for centers right now (and for good reason).

Old
02-22-2006, 06:59 AM
austinator0042

I thought we got the guy from the Blues(I cant spell or remember his name) in a trade a couple of weeks before the bye week.

Old
02-22-2006, 07:53 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinator0042
I thought we got the guy from the Blues(I cant spell or remember his name) in a trade a couple of weeks before the bye week.
We did. But Sillinger is a stopgap solution to a major problem. And he's hardly a surefire stopgap.

Old
02-22-2006, 08:19 AM
austinator0042

Wouldnt a trade be more needed for a Defensemen because Vokoun is having 40+ shots on him a night. Wouldnt reliving pressure of Vokoun be better for his Goals against average and give the Preds a chance for more wins

Old
02-22-2006, 09:10 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinator0042
Wouldnt a trade be more needed for a Defensemen because Vokoun is having 40+ shots on him a night. Wouldnt reliving pressure of Vokoun be better for his Goals against average and give the Preds a chance for more wins
It's debatable. A lot of posters on here feel that our inflated shot total can be directly attributed to our lack of speed at center. We don't have a strong forecheck or backcheck right now, thus hanging our defenseman out to dry. While getting a big, strong defenseman will help, I don't think it solves the problems we have. There's only one defenseman on our roster that has been consistently good over the past few months and that is Daniil Markov. Now, either our entire D-core is in a slump, or something is 'assisting' in their poor play.

I think you could plug in a Pronger, Chara, or Lidstrom and they would look wonderful. But bringing in a Brendan Witt might not be the solution we are looking for. He'll get thrown to the wolves and face many of the very same issues that have turned Dmen like Timonen and Hamhuis into subpar NHLers over the past few weeks.

Old
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
handtrick

Some rumblings that the Sharks, Patrick Marleau, might be available.

Jeez, he would look good in a Pred sweater.....wonder what it would take?

They seem lacking in a bonafide PP quarterback......I can't see doing it before summer.....but could anybody see Timonen or Zids plus a Pivko-like prospect for Marleau?

Old
02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

They seem lacking in a bonafide PP quarterback......I can't see doing it before summer.....but could anybody see Timonen or Zids plus a Pivko-like prospect for Marleau?
I think Timonen would be the guy they would want, and if this was the off-season, I would make the trade. As it stands, I think losing Kimmo would be hard to replace. He has had an average year, but I'm not sure that Suter and Weber can pick up the minutes he fills. It would be interesting...and I would take the gamble if offered. Marleau would be a great fit due to his speed/all around play. Can you imagine Kariya and Marleau flying down the ice together *wow*

Old
02-23-2006, 01:46 AM
volzok

Quote:

I think it would take a good price since they are still in the playoff hunt. To me it would seem odd to trade for Thornton and dump Marleau before the deadline unless they really tank after the break. He has played really well since Thornton has been there since he doesnt go against the teams top Dmen anymore. But it would be great to see him come to the Preds.

Old
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

don't take much from this, but eklund says he "hears that the Predators are very much in the Jokinen sweepstakes."

from who? us?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/...er=1&post=1380

Closed Thread