HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Price of a 1st line Center Has Just Gone Through The Roof

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 01:09 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
don't take much from this, but eklund says he "hears that the Predators are very much in the Jokinen sweepstakes."

from who? us?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/...er=1&post=1380

Legwand's games in Milwaukee and Weber's first couple games im Nashville will tell the story on where we go.....but I see us adding a #1 center rather than Witt at the trade deadline.....just a hunch...but just calling it now.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Legwand's games in Milwaukee and Weber's first couple games im Nashville will tell the story on where we go.....but I see us adding a #1 center rather than Witt at the trade deadline.....just a hunch...but just calling it now.
I take it then that you think Leggy is not going to be up to snuff...I tend to agree with you btw.

02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I think this could be brewing as well.

To make things more interesting... There is talk that Poile might be trying to trade Legwand. It does make some sense, being that 1) he's not totally healthy, 2) he's not the long-term answer to our scoringline center needs, 3) he has some perceived value, and 4) and most importantly, HE'S UFA AFTER NEXT SEASON.

Old
02-24-2006, 03:41 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I take it then that you think Leggy is not going to be up to snuff...I tend to agree with you btw.

An eyewitness form NP.com boards [hitman82] who is usually dead on...said he skated fine...no problem with cuts, was fast, etc.....so he may be ok.

Alot depends on how the knee responds to games back to back and every other day..etc.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:41 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I think this could be brewing as well.

To make things more interesting... There is talk that Poile might be trying to trade Legwand. It does make some sense, being that 1) he's not totally healthy, 2) he's not the long-term answer to our scoringline center needs, 3) he has some perceived value, and 4) and most importantly, HE'S UFA AFTER NEXT SEASON.
This may seem like a stupid question to a Legwand hater but why wouldn't we just keep Legwand around, pay him thirdline/shutdown center type money, and still keep looking for a scoring line center. It's not like Greg Johnson is our long term answer there.

You don't shore up a weakness by trading away the best player in that position.

Old
02-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Kwm

When will Legwand play in the NHL again? Is he ready?

Old
02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
He's on his conditioning assignment right now, and is supposed to be back for the Pred's first game after the break on Wednesday at Chicago.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
This may seem like a stupid question to a Legwand hater but why wouldn't we just keep Legwand around, pay him thirdline/shutdown center type money, and still keep looking for a scoring line center. It's not like Greg Johnson is our long term answer there.
Legwand has an possible expiration date of summer 2007 (he's UFA). It would not suprise me at all to see him go to another team. Pred's management isn't thrilled with him, and I don't think Legwand is thrilled with Nashville either.

So, in terms of asset management, it makes sense for Poile to flip him for another asset, instead of losing him for nothing a year from now.

If he can somehow turn a package revolved arond Legwand into a bonafide scoringline center... that's when it starts to make sense.

I don't know if there's any truth to rumor that Poile may be considering him as trade bait, but if he is, that's what I'm assuming his logic to be.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
veronesepk

Quote:
Legwand has an possible expiration date of summer 2007 (he's UFA). It would not suprise me at all to see him go to another team. Pred's management isn't thrilled with him, and I don't think Legwand is thrilled with Nashville either.

So, in terms of asset management, it makes sense for Poile to flip him for another asset, instead of losing him for nothing a year from now.

If he can somehow turn a package revolved arond Legwand into a bonafide scoringline center... that's when it starts to make sense.

I don't know if there's any truth to rumor that Poile may be considering him as trade bait, but if he is, that's what I'm assuming his logic to be.
I totally agree with the thought process you present. I've heard the same in regards to Legwand's possible desire to leave. I would much rather have Poile get something for him now if they really think he might bolt.

Old
02-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

With regard to Poile's style, it's true that he rarely makes a really big signing, but he won't shy away from a big trade if one comes along. He did trade Jason Allison and Anson Carter for Adam Oates, once upon a time, back when Oates was a pretty solid #1 center.

The key with #1 center additions, either as UFAs or trades, is not Poile's gumption but his budget. He had payroll constraints under Capitals owner Abe Pollin way back when in Washington, as he does now. He'll probably add a center if a can find a good #1 whose salary is affordable. The problem is that is an increasingly rare commodity.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
muddycreek*

Quote:
Pred's management isn't thrilled with him, and I don't think Legwand is thrilled with Nashville either.
Sounds like an out of the bum tid-bit to me! Can we get this one shut down?

Old
02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Sounds like an out of the bum tid-bit to me! Can we get this one shut down?
better yet can we get dulzhok banned permanently?

Old
02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Ya, things would be so much better around here if everybody just agreed with everything you said. It’d be a Seamus O' Toole utopia.

In terms of management not being thrilled with Legwand… I base that on a number of things. For example, last season when Trotz said in the Tennessean that’s it’s yet to be determined if Legwand is a first line center or a 4th line center. Or, last season when he took Legwand off the first line, and used a winger (Johansson) as our first line center when we were fighting to make the playoffs. Or, the fact that he was on pace to score 9 goals (over the course of an 82-game season) before being injured. I also have other information I’m basing it on, of which I’m not a liberty to say. But the above should be reason enough to suspect that Preds’ management isn’t 100% comfortable with Legwand as our 1st line center.

Again, my original posting isn’t about my opinion of Legwand… it’s simply brining up a concern… Legwand is UFA next year, and I think it’s a decent possibility that he walks.

Old
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
What for? Cause he doesn't like Legwand? As much as the Preds could use Legwand right now, it's hard to deny that he has been a sizeable disappointment outside of one or two seasons. He's still a good player and has solid value, but the bloom is off the rose. He's a player with significant talent and size who hasn't shown any consistent signs of being able to turn into anything more than a perimeter, defensive minded 2/3rd line center. Scary to say but that Radek Bonk comparo that Dulzhok threw out a few years ago is lining up quite nicely.

Old
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I don't have a problem with the guy not liking Legwand. I do think his borderline hatered of Legwand jades his view though. I also think he should back up the statement that management isn't happy with Legwand though since most all of us have read/heard Poile and Trotz both praise Legwand for doing just what they expect of him this year. And at the pay rate it ain't to shabby.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'll say this for dulzhok...

he backs up his points a lot better than the Legwand-bashers over on the other board. ColdChicory will spin in circles for days and days without making a point.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
PACaptain

While I'm not sure Eklund has any truth in his articles, I would love to see the Preds go after Olli Jokinen and I've said that for a while. Mike Sillinger was a nice addition but he is a second line center at best. I suggest on the trade board a package that included Legwand and a player like Dan Hamhuis (who I like very much) or another player from the glut of defensemen the Preds have.

I agree with dulzhok on Legwand. I think he is a decent player but for his supposed upside and talent, I never see him developing into a first line center. Jokinen is the big center Nashville covets to go with its fast wingers. I say acquire Olli if you can sign him long term. I think a true #1 center is of more value to the Preds than another defensemen. I like Brendan Witt but I'm much higher on Olli Jokinen.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:31 PM
handtrick

Quote:
ColdChicory will spin in circles for days and days without making a point.
I think he has a man-crush on you Nomore......

Old
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I think he has a man-crush on you Nomore......

I did enjoy his psychoanalysis,today.

Honestly, he's not even as bad as the noob types that show up and just start spitting junk about anything and everything with nothing to back it up. pred303 said it best--that board is rapidly becoming unreadable, and if I didn't enjoy getting people riled up so much over there, I probably wouldn't even bother with it...but it gives me a place to let off steam in a mostly unmoderated venue.

My friends are here...that's just a hunting ground

Old
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
handtrick

Quote:
that's just a hunting ground
Kinda like hunting at the zoo though.....

Old
02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
I did enjoy his psychoanalysis,today.

Honestly, he's not even as bad as the noob types that show up and just start spitting junk about anything and everything with nothing to back it up. pred303 said it best--that board is rapidly becoming unreadable, and if I didn't enjoy getting people riled up so much over there, I probably wouldn't even bother with it...but it gives me a place to let off steam in a mostly unmoderated venue.

My friends are here...that's just a hunting ground

I gave up on that board a long time ago.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
I don't have a problem with the guy not liking Legwand. I do think his borderline hatered of Legwand jades his view though. I also think he should back up the statement that management isn't happy with Legwand though since most all of us have read/heard Poile and Trotz both praise Legwand for doing just what they expect of him this year. And at the pay rate it ain't to shabby.
While I think he is passionate in his dislike for Legwand, I think it's that passion that can make a great poster. And to his credit, he did back up his statements and I think, without his explanation, a reasonable poster could still understand his conclusion, even if they vehemently disagree.

It ain't too shabby. I agree. But we need more out of Legwand. He struggled to put up points in a new NHL that was built for him. While the sample size is much to small to make concrete observations from, it's not a good sign. There's no reason he can't be a 20 goal, 40 assist play when paired with guys like Kariya and Hartnell. Until he becomes that player, the door is open for Dulzhok and other Legwand bashers.

Old
02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Personally, I think it is unfair to judge Legwand on the small sample size, but if we are too....I think his playmaking was easily the best on the team, while his goal-scoring was far below average...He could have easily had 10-14 more points if Kariya or Erat finished half the chances he set them up for early on...Conversley, if he took a few more shots (which it looked like he started to do in the last 5 games), he wouldn't have to rely so much on picking up points on others coattails.

I'll say this, I am disappointed that Legwand isn't an elite scorer, but I never pinned the franchise on his shoulders.....so I don't hold a grudge against him like most seem to on the Preds board.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:08 PM
dulzhok

It was my intention to avoid a "Legwand bashing" argument in this topic... I tried to delicately bring up the idea that Legwand is in a precarious position right now contract-wise, and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a trade.

Back to his contract situation….

While Legwand is UFA a year from now, he’s RFA this offseason. His negotiations this offseason will be the probably tell the story. The scenarios:

1) Legwand wants 1 year deal = he plans to bolt
2) Poile wants 1 year deal = Poile doesn’t seem him in Nashville past next year
3) Legwand wants multiyear deal= the idea that Legwand doesn’t like Nashville is put to rest
4) Poile wants multiyear deal= hard to say what it means.

I think we should try to sign him to a multi-year deal... 1) If we can get a bonafide scoringline center, I do see a place for him. 2) For reasons of asset protection, it makes sense…. we don’t want to lose him for nothing a year from now. However, I think it’s going to be extremely hard to come up with a number that both sides like in a multi-year deal. Like I said to begin with, I think it’s leading down the path to unrestricted free agency a year from now.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we end up giving him a 2 or 3 year deal at more money than he is worth....Lets be honest, the numbers just don't support Legwand making a lot of money....If he wants a ton and only a 1 year deal, he is gone....

Closed Thread