HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals Re-sign Olaf Kolzig, $10.9m/2y

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2006, 02:06 PM
trbr86

vCash: 50
Capitals Re-sign Olaf Kolzig, $10.9m/2y

TSN: Capitals extend Kolzig's contract

$5.45m per season until 07-08. To me it seems like a lot, but with the cap going up - and the Capitals not exactly testing its limits anyways - it's not that much of an issue. Kolzig's previous contract had been for $4.94m

As the article states, that's one less goalie on the trade-deadline market.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
TSN: Capitals extend Kolzig's contract

$5.45m per season until 07-08. To me it seems like a lot, but with the cap going up - and the Capitals not exactly testing its limits anyways - it's not that much of an issue. Kolzig's previous contract had been for $4.94m

As the article states, that's one less goalie on the trade-deadline market.
I think this and the Koivu signing indicate that the market will be going up this Summer with the cap.

With the smaller crop of available talent than last Summer, and the more spending room, expect to see more players making bigger bucks.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

I'm glad the Caps locked him in, but it's for too much money.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
It's looking like this is the price for a top 10 goalie these days. I'm not shocked he got $5+ million.

02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
X8oD

Quote:
if this guy was on a team like Detroit, or Colorado, or Philly he would in Vezina contention and would have won them another 5 games by himself.

the guy is an elite goaltender loyal to a team who, under any other situation, would have peddled him off for picks and prospects years ago.

what else can you ask for?

Old
02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Metallian*

Very fair contract. Not overpaid, nor underpaid.

He's their #1 and has stuck with the team, he deserves monetary commitment from ownership (like Bondra should have got...)

Old
02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
ranold26
Registered Loser

5.45 million a year is a decent amount. This guy steals games and like others have said, put him on a DET/COL/VAN/EDM etc and he'd have a 2:1 win/loss ratio.
Luongo's market has been set.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:

if the Cap goes up, Washington still has to be observe the bottom limit of the salary cap

Old
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Safir*

To me this deal is a signal that the Caps will be pretty active in the free agent market, because Kolzig wouldn't be too interested in staying with a "loser team" for the next two years.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:25 PM
futurcorerock

Suck it, Habs, Avs, and Oil fans

Brings up a very good question though:

What is the value of a starting goaltender on the trade market? Apparently it's rising if now Marc Denis and Olaf Kolzig have now come off the market by their respective teams.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

Kolzig was just on the team's podcast. He said that while he didn't expect major changes, citing very strong team chemistry, he thinks that the Capitals will be adding depth and some skill over the summer. It should still be a young team building from within, but they might take a stab at Jokinen and a defenseman or two. They will be looking to bring Semin back as well.

Old
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärppä32
To me this deal is a signal that the Caps will be pretty active in the free agent market, because Kolzig wouldn't be too interested in staying with a "loser team" for the next two years.
Minus the whole, 'loyalty' thing, or 'city attachment' issues, of course....

I guess you have his motives figured out.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
This seems alot to me. I guess the Caps can afford it, and it is only two years. Also interests me because if gives a guide to what Luongo can possibly get.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärppä32
Kolzig wants to keep his family in Washington. It has nothing to do with a losing team.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
This seems alot to me. I guess the Caps can afford it, and it is only two years. Also interests me because if gives a guide to what Luongo can possibly get.
I think that more than anything else, it's a nod to what Nabokov and Turco received. Those contracts set the market.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:27 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Seems Ok!

Kolzig is one of the better goalies in the league. I don't think that he got that kind of money with one of the top teams in the league

Old
02-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian
Kolzig wants to keep his family in Washington. It has nothing to do with a losing team.
Well, he'll be moving them, considering that Kolzig's family has been living in Washington State on the other side of the country all season. Kolzig's been renting a place with Witt, I believe. It still looks like Witt's going to be moved, though.

Old
02-11-2006, 02:30 PM
boredmale

i think it's a smart move by the caps, while i think the contract is a lil bit to much, it tells young players on the team that capitals management treats it players right if you are a good soldier.

Old
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Amazing Oopah

Hmm, interesting deal. I guess Kolzig wanted a two year deal in order to see where the Caps would be by then and whether they had a realistic shot at the playoffs. Guess if they aren't going anywhere by then he can always sign with a team closer to the promised land for a last shot at the Cup.

Might be a bit high, but I see nothing wrong with paying one of your team's heart and soul players just a tad more than what you would expect.

Old
02-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock

What is the value of a starting goaltender on the trade market? Apparently it's rising if now Marc Denis and Olaf Kolzig have now come off the market by their respective teams.
Habs fans wanted Olaf Kolzig?

Old
02-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock

For that price, no thanks.

Old
02-11-2006, 04:22 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Minus the whole, 'loyalty' thing, or 'city attachment' issues, of course....

I guess you have his motives figured out.
Cut him some slack, you know everyone here who posts are psychologists-scouts-agents-attorneys-general managers-"cap"'ologists-omnipotent beings rolled into one. sarcasm:

For his next trick, Kolzig will demand a trade because he's getting paid so much.

I'm sure Caps fans are happy, they don't care what people say at this point. If this team signs the right free-agents come summer I'll be scared. You have the goalie, you have the cornerstone forward, all that is left is to find the right mix of players.

Old
02-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Newbi

this might mean that the caps will try to sign some good FAs next year... tired of losing? maybe

Old
02-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm not sure that Kolzig is correct (i.e. that the Capitals will be a legitimate playoff contender before he reaches retirement age) but I am happy to see him inked. Two years gives them room to walk away, else try to sign him for one or two more years when it expires.

Numbers don't appear to justify those contract numbers, but it's squarely in the middle of the established market for goalies who have signed extensions this season, and he's not going to sign for less as a UFA-eligible player after the numbers given out to Turco, Brodeur, Nabokov this year. Strikes me as a fair and generous contract offer for a guy who has meant a good deal to this team, whose play has been great this year. It's a positive signal to UFAs as to how quickly the Caps want to turn it around, and how they treat their veterans.

Not enough people make allowances for the defense behind which Kolzig has played this year. He's certainly had better numbers in the past, but he's playing behind Witt, Heward, Muir, Morrisonn, Eminger, Biron, Majesky, Yonkman... and Eminger has been injured for the past few weeks. Some of those guys are going to improve with experience (while others never will), but that's grim any way you look at it this year. Kolzig has not been part of the problem this year. Plus he'd be wearing the C if goalies had that option.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-11-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old
02-11-2006, 04:40 PM
OV3CHKiN

It's a fair amount for Olie. He's still a top tier goalie and definately the team leader.

I hope the Caps can get someone in place to take over once he is gone. Ouellet didn't work, Daigneault hasn't gotten many chances in the AHL, and Stana is pretty much gone.

Closed Thread