Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Marko Dano?

Old
04-10-2017, 02:15 AM
alko

vCash: 500
What to do with Marko Dano?

He should be RFA after this season. But his results are not so good in the past 2 seasons.
So, is a new contract in play? Or would it be better for him to go to Europe for 2 or 3 seasons and they come back?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:17 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
He should be RFA after this season. But his results are not so good in the past 2 seasons.
So, is a new contract in play? Or would it be better for him to go to Europe for 2 or 3 seasons and they come back?
His results this year are pretty good. His underlying numbers are very good, he's had to carry around slugs for much of the year. He has shown to be a solid 3rd liner at least, with lots of potential to move up. Unfortunately the Jets have a coach who has no idea how to handle his own roster and he is getting shafted.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:31 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 50
It is quite likely that the Jets expose him to the expansion draft. It's either him, Lowry or Armia. According to the usage of Dano, we feel like the Jets as an organization value Lowry and Armia over Dano. Most of US would prefer to expose Lowry over Dano though.

Then again: Dano playing in Vegas could be a great opportunity for him to establish himself as a top 6 NHL player.

GJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Whileee

I think Dano needs to play with certain types of players to be effective, and those players tend to be top-6. He hasn't shown himself to fit on the PK, and I doubt he will fit on the PP, especially if Connor is with the team. He would be basically him fighting with Perreault, Armia and Connor for a winger role in the top-9. I think Maurice will prefer those three, and probably Copp on the wing in the top-9.

I still think the Jets should focus on having a skilled and balanced bottom 6, rather than a 3rd and 4th line, per se. Otherwise, Dano is not going to be well-utilized.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 05:09 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
What happened to Dano???

HE got hurt .

Lower body injury. I think it was his knee. HE was out for about 2 months. When he returned, he did not seem to be as productive.

It has only been 4 years since he has been drafted. HE is still working things out. HE has played well in international tourneys.

There is no room in the Jets top 6 forwards as he is simply not as good as the players we currently have. HE has to fight for ice time on the 3rd line. Often he is relegated to the 4 th line only playing 7 minutes a night. It is hard to put up big stats in a limited role.

The best thing for him may be getting chosen in the expansion draft and gaining a bigger role for Las Vegas.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
It is quite likely that the Jets expose him to the expansion draft. It's either him, Lowry or Armia. According to the usage of Dano, we feel like the Jets as an organization value Lowry and Armia over Dano. Most of US would prefer to expose Lowry over Dano though.

Then again: Dano playing in Vegas could be a great opportunity for him to establish himself as a top 6 NHL player.
Uhmm, no. Where did you draw that conclusion from?

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Jets4Life

I think Dano is a better player than Armia, Petan, Tanev, Thorburn, and Copp. It's too bad Maurice has not found an effective way of utilizing him.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Uhmm, no. Where did you draw that conclusion from?
I don't know the split but it's entirely possible most of the posters on this board agree with GJF and you are one of the "few"as opposed to one of the "most".

"Most" does not mean all. I've only seen 2-3 posters trying to make the case for Lowry over dano.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:50 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
His results this year are pretty good. His underlying numbers are very good, he's had to carry around slugs for much of the year. He has shown to be a solid 3rd liner at least, with lots of potential to move up. Unfortunately the Jets have a coach who has no idea how to handle his own roster and he is getting shafted.
I would agree that he's a better choice than Thorburn, and shouldn't have been a healthy scratch to end the season, but I don't think Dano is this sleeper future 2nd line player that 3 teams now have simply passed on. Quenneville in Chicago didn't like him, obviously he's done something here that's put him in Maurice's bad books as well. As another poster said, I think he's best when he's the complimentary piece of a line of better players, and he isn't good enough to break into this top 6. That said, he didn't really get much opportunity to do that, but I suspect his slow start to his career thus far has more to do with off-ice than on-ice stuff.

If he's the guy we lose to Vegas, I think we can all be fairly satisfied with that result.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I don't know the split but it's entirely possible most of the posters on this board agree with GJF and you are one of the "few"as opposed to one of the "most".

"Most" does not mean all. I've only seen 2-3 posters trying to make the case for Lowry over dano.
I must have missed that discussion. I haven't seen a bunch of posters favouring Dano over Lowry. I know there has been a discussion of Perreault versus Lowry.

I am expecting Dano+ to be moved to LV when all is said and done and that will be a good result for us.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Guerzy
free marko

vCash: 69
Vegas bound

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Vegas bound
That's my guess also but it could be Copp instead.

But if he doesn't go to LV in the expansion draft he might very well go there in trade anyway.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:17 PM
MardyBum

He's probably going to Vegas with a draft pick to protect Perreault and Lurch.

Hope he does, as Maurice has clearly soured on him and will probably run his career into the ground at this point.

And for the record, Dano > Lowry

MardyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:22 PM
loupie

Quote:
He's had quite a bit of PP time. What did he do with that time?

loupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:24 PM
csk

Play him as 3rd line RW.

Question answered

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie View Post
He's had quite a bit of PP time. What did he do with that time?
If 10th on the team is alot to you, I don't know what to say.

Here's a helpful article that breaks down some things for you.

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/03/22/by-...dano-vs-lowry/

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 05:53 PM
FFHockey

Quote:
If 10th on the team is alot to you, I don't know what to say.

Here's a helpful article that breaks down some things for you.

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/03/22/by-...dano-vs-lowry/
Please keep in mind that one of the analytic sites gives the Leafs pretty much the same odds to win the Cup as the Hawks. Analytics do have their place but they are not the be all, end all.

Lowry is going nowhere and it's pretty clear the Jets like him.

I hope Dano does find his way and he did grow on me before his last injury, but I think if he does, it will be with his 4th team.

FFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:05 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Results last two seasons...

5v5 points per hour
Dano 1.58
Copp 1.38
Lowry 1.09
Armia 1.03

Linemate Corsi% change with player
Dano +2.1
Copp -0.7
Armia -1.2
Lowry -1.8

So Dano is scoring more than those guys and improving shot differentials more than those guys.

If Dano is not playing well over the last two seasons, what's your thoughts on the other three?

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFHockey View Post
Please keep in mind that one of the analytic sites gives the Leafs pretty much the same odds to win the Cup as the Hawks. Analytics do have their place but they are not the be all, end all.

Lowry is going nowhere and it's pretty clear the Jets like him.

I hope Dano does find his way and he did grow on me before his last injury, but I think if he does, it will be with his 4th team.
Where the hell did I give same odds to Leafs as Blackhawks?

If it wasn't me than why would it matter what someone else does when talking about my work.

Statistics: they not everything but they are something.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:25 PM
LowLefty

Another Dano thread - hopefully it ends after he's gone this summer. I've tried, really tried to find value in the guy . . . . this coaching staff and every other team he's played for seem to agree.

LowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Johnnucleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I would agree that he's a better choice than Thorburn, and shouldn't have been a healthy scratch to end the season, but I don't think Dano is this sleeper future 2nd line player that 3 teams now have simply passed on. Quenneville in Chicago didn't like him, obviously he's done something here that's put him in Maurice's bad books as well. As another poster said, I think he's best when he's the complimentary piece of a line of better players, and he isn't good enough to break into this top 6. That said, he didn't really get much opportunity to do that, but I suspect his slow start to his career thus far has more to do with off-ice than on-ice stuff.

If he's the guy we lose to Vegas, I think we can all be fairly satisfied with that result.
100% agree. People on this board way overvalue Dano. He hasnt been able to really crack the roster on 3 teams now. Metrics aside, there is something about the guy that organizations just arent sold on.

Johnnucleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:02 PM
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnucleo View Post
100% agree. People on this board way overvalue Dano. He hasnt been able to really crack the roster on 3 teams now. Metrics aside, there is something about the guy that organizations just arent sold on.
Also agree.

McDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Statistics: they not everything but they are something.
I agree wholeheartedly with both parts of this sentence.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:22 PM
MardyBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
Another Dano thread - hopefully it ends after he's gone this summer. I've tried, really tried to find value in the guy . . . . this coaching staff and every other team he's played for seem to agree.
The value is there if you spend 5 minutes educating yourself.

It's just a matter of doing it. Don't expect much with the average poster, they can't be bothered.

Old
04-10-2017, 07:26 PM
MardyBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
Also agree.
Agreed. It doesn't matter that he posts better possession numbers or scoring numbers than his peers on the Jets, something has to be wrong!

Why won't these dang nabbed "advanced stats" reflect how I feel about a player!? He scores better and has the puck more, but he's just not my kind of guy!