Notices

Realistic Off-season Expectations from Chevy

Old
04-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Dayofthedogs

vCash: 500
Need = Goalie

Want = 3C veteran

I'm really meh about filling the 2 LHD. Chevy already got Poolman and if he can bring Niku over and resign Postma it pretty much fills my requirements for Defense next year.

Think we loose Myers in a trade or to Vegas.

D corps as is would still be
JoMo Trouba
Toby Buff
Poolman Postma

Cheerios
Melchori
Stu
Niku
Nogier
Kostalek

That's acceptable in my books. Wouldn't cry about getting another but I don't really like what's out there.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:25 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
He will augment Helly in net, the new tandem will have a .917 blended save % and we will hit 100 points.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
He will augment Helly in net, the new tandem will have a .917 blended save % and we will hit 100 points.
The thought of where this team could go with consistent, league average goaltending and a healthy defence makes my mouth water

For goodness sake, just get a decent experienced goaltender and we're already a playoff team Chevy.

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:07 PM
lablite47

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they will deal Little to LV for a very good LHD. I cannot see Little renewing his contract for less than 6 years and I do not believe TNE will be interested in signing him for that long considering what we have in the pipeline.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:13 PM
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor

Chevy will go out and get another goalie who isn't any better than what we already have, but he will act like its a huge improvement. Think Reto Berra or JF Berube.

McDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
loupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
Chevy will go out and get another goalie who isn't any better than what we already have, but he will act like its a huge improvement. Think Reto Berra or JF Berube.
Sounds like exactly what would happen.
I think there's a chance Helle could be decent next year, but I don't want to go into next year gambling on it.
I'd like to see a goalie upgrade, one decent dman upgrade, fire flaherty and anyone involved with the special teams.

loupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
surixon

Based on now listening to the presser:

The org will look to bring in a quality goalie either old or young.

They will also look to add a quality depth forward who will fit the structure better. Maurice early doesn't see either Dano or Petan as a fit for that role if one is to take Moe's comments about flatelinning and read between the lines. I see both players getting moved out.

Reading between the lines since the majority of the message on competetion was on forward and in goal, the org is likely going with the status quo on defense other than Poolman beige given an opportunity to push for a spot.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
With the amount of pressure coming at Chevy from the coaching staff, fans and even the players themselves now, I don't think chevy will be picking up anything less than or equal to what Helle already is.

Fans expect improvement in goal, Maurice expects improvement in goal, the players expect improvement goal.

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:39 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
With the amount of pressure coming at Chevy from the coaching staff, fans and even the players themselves now, I don't think chevy will be picking up anything less than or equal to what Helle already is.

Fans expect improvement in goal, Maurice expects improvement in goal, the players expect improvement goal.
Yup, its also clear that he himself expects improvement in goal. They will bring in a quality option. Whether that player plays well or not is another question.

Old
04-10-2017, 07:47 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post

They will also look to add a quality depth forward who will fit the structure better. Maurice early doesn't see either Dano or Petan as a fit for that role if one is to take Moe's comments about flatelinning and read between the lines. I see both players getting moved out.

Reading between the lines since the majority of the message on competetion was on forward and in goal, the org is likely going with the status quo on defense other than Poolman beige given an opportunity to push for a spot.
This is a pretty good read on the comments. A goalie upgrade is a for sure. Obviously Mo is safe as is Chevy. Agreed that Poolman will be the only upgrade on D. Also looks like a Little re-signing will be coming as well.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 07:50 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
This is a pretty good read on the comments. A goalie upgrade is a for sure. Obviously Mo is safe as is Chevy. Agreed that Poolman will be the only upgrade on D. Also looks like a Little re-signing will be coming as well.
Yeah I anticipate Little will have a contract in hand early July.

Old
04-10-2017, 07:52 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Yeah I anticipate Little will have a contract in hand early July.
Also see it as being really reasonable. The one thing you get listening to the players is they have bought into the plan.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
That's funny - because Hellebuyck's SV% is better than all but one of Pavelec's seasons here and Chevy never thought it was an issue before.
Well, they've been trying to replace Pavelec for the last three years, so maybe they did think it was an issue.

Quote:
I think they're going to bring in a goalie, but I'm not holding my breath that the goalie will be among the ones I'm hoping for.
Which are the ones you're hoping for?

Quote:
He should ideally bring in a 2LD but it sounds like Chevy needs to see what he's got when all his defensemen are healthy before he goes out and makes an unwise short term move actively tries to improve the team at that position via free agency or trade.
You don't think Enström will play at the level of a #4 next year?

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:11 PM
matthole

I don't see trouble in bringing in a Vet Goalie and Drafting someone like Valmiki(Even though Id probable prefer one of the home grown talents in the draft, its seemingly unlikely at this point, unless Chevy has the balls to trade up, even more unlikely) who could start as a Top 4 or 6 Defender out of the gate, that's if the organization decides to try and develop a almost NHL defender like Valmaki(if they can pick him up).

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
Here's what I base my prediction for a vet goaltender on.

1. Chevy's non-moves in the past are largely "explainable" (even if you don't agree) that the team was focused on building through D&D. The Jets were never quite good enough to warrant a lot of finishing moves, like a big FA signing, or a "futures for now" trade. So I don't look at his past non-moves as necessarily being predictive for what Chevy will do this off-season. Since the team is now in a very different place.

2. Even Chevy's cautious approach to change will be overruled by both the obviousness of the need, and the pressure from all sides (media, fans, coaching staff, players) to find a goaltending solution.

3. There looks like there may be some good deals out there for goaltenders. Something that won't cost an arm and a leg. Chevy seems to me the kind of guy who is loathe to make a "losing" trade (e.g. something like the Hall-Larsson trade), but will jump at a good deal.
1. I disagree. The opportunities were there in each off-season to get better, make the play-offs. I can't go back and detail them all now. That would have cost us our best draft picks though so maybe those opportunities were better passed up. I don't know if Chevy has been in some kind of soft tank for 5 years or not. The result is the same though.

2. This might shake my pessimism. Maybe there is enough pressure, particularly from the coaches to push Chevy into motion. If anything can do it that would be it.

3. The opportunities certainly should be there this year, more than most. Wouldn't call the Hall-Larsson trade a losing one from Edm POV. I think I know what you mean though. I think that, at some point those kinds of trades have to be made though.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 04-11-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 10:52 PM
blueandgoldguy

Jets go 4-4-1 in the expansion draft and lose either Lowry or Dano.

I expect them to pick up a goalie to compete with Helly for the #1 spot. I really hope Chevy doesn't settle for some career backup with a .905 or worse career save percentage.

I would like to see a #5/6 defenseman signed - one at least the level of Postma. I think Postma will sign with another team as I don't get the sense Maurice is too fond of him. Probably stating the obvious. Plus, based on recent history, I think Myers and Enstrom will combine to miss 45 - 50 games next season. Jets need an realistic option to step into those spots when the inevitable injuries happen.

Sadly, the improvement to our defense for next season will amount to Poolman who has not even played a single game in the NHL to this point. Chevy may sign a #6/7 defenseman and while the individual may not be a Strait level of signing, I feel they will be no better than a Chariot-level of player. In other words, not good enough when we have 2 defenseman on the mend and the signee has to step right into the lineup.

No major additions on the front end. I expect the status quo there. Hopefully Thorburn is gone but I wouldn't count on it.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

FA goalie after the expansion draft (or trade with Vegas for one).
But this will be a non "sexy" option and one that they hope they are getting value on.

#5 type LHD to challenge for a spot and add depth.
Mainly relying on playing our actual top 5 D as the boost to the team.

Additional moves would be heavily effected by who we lose in the XD

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

On D, Poolman replaces Postma. He doesn't play when we are healthy.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:24 AM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Jets go 4-4-1 in the expansion draft and lose either Lowry or Dano.

I expect them to pick up a goalie to compete with Helly for the #1 spot. I really hope Chevy doesn't settle for some career backup with a .905 or worse career save percentage.

I would like to see a #5/6 defenseman signed - one at least the level of Postma. I think Postma will sign with another team as I don't get the sense Maurice is too fond of him. Probably stating the obvious. Plus, based on recent history, I think Myers and Enstrom will combine to miss 45 - 50 games next season. Jets need an realistic option to step into those spots when the inevitable injuries happen.

Sadly, the improvement to our defense for next season will amount to Poolman who has not even played a single game in the NHL to this point. Chevy may sign a #6/7 defenseman and while the individual may not be a Strait level of signing, I feel they will be no better than a Chariot-level of player. In other words, not good enough when we have 2 defenseman on the mend and the signee has to step right into the lineup.

No major additions on the front end. I expect the status quo there. Hopefully Thorburn is gone but I wouldn't count on it.
One thing about Postma is that he's the kind of guy undervalued league wide. I didn't expect him to sign here last time but I think familiarity will give us a leg up. Really hope we keep him in the fold. I also don't expect Myers to be here here next year, If the jets do go 4 and 4 and keep Myers I could see him trying someone else like the avalanche.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Dayofthedogs

If Trouba still doesn't want to be here would anyone else be okay with making a deal with the Av's for Duchene with Troubs as the main piece?

For it to make sense the Av's would probably have to add something. There aren't very many top 10 defenders under 25 that ever hit the market.

Honestly if there is one thing I think would push the jets over the top it's putting another Center of Duchene's caliber in the fold. If this team has shown me anything it's that the quality of forward is more important than the quality of D.

We could also protect 7-3-1 this way and if Troubs is going to leave anyways why the **** not.

Ehlers-Chef-Wheels
MP-Duchene-Laine
Connor-Little-Armia
Petan-Lowry-Copp
Matthias-Tanev

JoMo-Buff
Toby-Myers
Poolman-Postma
Chariot

Hellebyuck
Mason

I could live with this.

Old
04-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
If Trouba still doesn't want to be here would anyone else be okay with making a deal with the Av's for Duchene with Troubs as the main piece?

For it to make sense the Av's would probably have to add something. There aren't very many top 10 defenders under 25 that ever hit the market.

Honestly if there is one thing I think would push the jets over the top it's putting another Center of Duchene's caliber in the fold. If this team has shown me anything it's that the quality of forward is more important than the quality of D.

We could also protect 7-3-1 this way and if Troubs is going to leave anyways why the **** not.

Ehlers-Chef-Wheels
MP-Duchene-Laine
Connor-Little-Armia
Petan-Lowry-Copp
Matthias-Tanev

JoMo-Buff
Toby-Myers
Poolman-Postma
Chariot

Hellebyuck
Mason

I could live with this.
If Trouba has to be traded I don't want anything but D in return.

If I was to consider Duchene the add would have to be huge.

Old
04-11-2017, 01:17 AM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
If Trouba has to be traded I don't want anything but D in return.

If I was to consider Duchene the add would have to be huge.
Fair enough. I'd probably settle for a 1st personally. It's gonna be high in this draft.

Here is the thing though, pretty much 0 GMs are gonna trade a top 10 under 25 Dman even for Trouba. What would be the advantage of them moving a similar caliber players for him? I just don't see that happening. If Trouba still wants out I think we will have to think outside of the box for the return.

If Trouba wants out what are realistically our options? A similar caliber D is pretty much not going to happen unless he is in the same situation as Trouba. The only realistic D I could see coming back from any team just wouldn't be Trouba caliber anyways.

Old
04-11-2017, 02:11 AM
matthole

Quote:
Fair enough. I'd probably settle for a 1st personally. It's gonna be high in this draft.

Here is the thing though, pretty much 0 GMs are gonna trade a top 10 under 25 Dman even for Trouba. What would be the advantage of them moving a similar caliber players for him? I just don't see that happening. If Trouba still wants out I think we will have to think outside of the box for the return.

If Trouba wants out what are realistically our options? A similar caliber D is pretty much not going to happen unless he is in the same situation as Trouba. The only realistic D I could see coming back from any team just wouldn't be Trouba caliber anyways.
I would like to see Troubs, Little, Petan and our 1st(maybe even next years as well, as we are likely to be a playoff team if we are healthy and get acquisitions), 2nd and 3rd for the Avs First(probably Top 3 pick, best luck at 1st as well) and Duchene, don't know how fair of a trade it sounds but it kindof seems even from my side of the table. Only if Trouba doesn't want to stay though, but if we had Duchene and Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier on are Offense we would have the number 1 scoring team in the league and be a playoff team just off of that for sure.

Connor Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Patrick/Hischier Duchene
Wheeler Roslovic Armia
Dano Lowry Copp

Morrisey Myers(if he can stay healthy 1st Line minutes do to Buffs lack of Defense)
Poolman Byfuglien
Chariot Postma

Helle
FA Vet

Lose depth in our D but have an All-Star Offense and the strongest Top 9 Lineup in the league by far.

Last edited by matthole: 04-11-2017 at 02:22 AM.
matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We're not getting a 1-1 trade for an equal lefty D. That chance is just so remote it isn't worth considering. The only way that happens is if the player coming back is a step down in some way, IMO. The only way to win that trade is to get 2 pieces that add up to more. Trouba has to be the best player in the trade which, according to some people means we lose the trade.

Best thing to do is make Trouba happy to stay here. Find a way.

Old
04-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Pretty telling when even Chevy's strongest supporters realistically only expect him to address half the holes in the lineup.

The bar is way too low in Winnipeg.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote