Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Off-season Expectations from Chevy

Old
04-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Krave

vCash: 500
Sara Orlesky: GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and head coach Paul Maurice haven’t gone over everything yet, but Cheveldayoff is not expecting to make any changes to their coaching staff.

Sara Orlesky: Cheveldayoff reiterates that coach Paul Maurice has his full support.

Scott Billeck: Cheveldayoff said that they are in the “very early” stages of a contract extension for Maurice.

Sean Reynolds: Maurice said that he’s fine with going into next season without a contract extension in place. He’s fine with whatever management wants to do.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumo...rs/2017/04/11/

Krave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
I would like to see Troubs, Little, Petan and our 1st(maybe even next years as well, as we are likely to be a playoff team if we are healthy and get acquisitions), 2nd and 3rd for the Avs First(probably Top 3 pick, best luck at 1st as well) and Duchene, don't know how fair of a trade it sounds but it kindof seems even from my side of the table. Only if Trouba doesn't want to stay though, but if we had Duchene and Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier on are Offense we would have the number 1 scoring team in the league and be a playoff team just off of that for sure.

Connor Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Patrick/Hischier Duchene
Wheeler Roslovic Armia
Dano Lowry Copp

Morrisey Myers(if he can stay healthy 1st Line minutes do to Buffs lack of Defense)
Poolman Byfuglien
Chariot Postma

Helle
FA Vet

Lose depth in our D but have an All-Star Offense and the strongest Top 9 Lineup in the league by far.
You can't have too many or too good C's but C is our strongest position. D is our weakest position. You are suggesting giving up our best D and a good C for 2 good C's.

I don't like the value there either. Trouba alone is almost worth that. Throw in Little and we are overpaying.

Our current C depth:
Scheifele
Little
Lowry
Copp
Petan
Roslovic
Harkins/Spacek

We have some good defensemen but after Morrissey and Trouba it is a mishmash that needs sorting out.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
No thanks to overpaying for Duchene.

Summer to do list:
Goaltending
D Depth (keeping Trouba and adding a #4 LHD)
re-sign Little

optional:
re-configure bottom 6 (preferably 4th line, to improve the PK).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 10:13 AM
DRW204

Not sure if it's realistic but what I would like;

- Draft BPA
- G: could be a 1A/1B or clear #1, doesn't matter, just someone who has a proven track record
- LHD: Don't need to pay big $ for an offensive guy, but a steady, reliable, be there every game kind of guy
- Low on the pecking order: Trade Petan or Armia+ to a team rich in Dman prospects (ie: Carolina or Philly), sign a 3C (who can fill in 2C in a pinch cuz we know Little or Perrault have a high probability of being injured). This will push Lowry down to 4C.
- Any of the new acquisitions/signings be guys with playoff and SC experience/pedigree

What i think will happen is Chevy signs a career backup goalie because the big name guys dont want to be here

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Troubaloobaloop

Realistically I'm not expecting any coaching changes or drastic roster moves. He might pick up a goalie, MIGHT.

That being said I can realistically be expected to show up to True North's front door with a pitchfork and/or torch if we aren't in a playoff spot in December. Or I'll write a strongly worded letter.

Troubaloobaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:14 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
What i think will happen is Chevy signs a career backup goalie because the big name guys dont want to be here
I would agree with that, but I also believe they won't even try for one of the top UFA's. I think they view both Bucky and the Comster (come on, all our goalies need nicknames, and I didn't think Commie would be particularly endearing ) as being #1 worthy and they won't sign anyone that could be a long term obstacle. Sign a big name, you're basically saying to both of them that their chances of being a #1 here anytime soon are slim to none, and slim was seen saddling up his horse.

I'm also not convinced they have given up on Hutch yet. When the brain trust says our goaltending has to be better next year, I don't think they are excluding the possibility of getting that better goaltending from the current options. Yes, they will sign a goalie to be part of the competition for the 4 spots on the Jets and Moose, but I would be surprised if we get anyone but a tier 2 player who is willing to sign on for a couple of years because he thinks he might have a better shot here than with his current team.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

1) Get a new boat, something that's better for trolling.
2) Build a gazebo.
3) Restain the deck.

As for hockey, I expect precious little. They expect the growth to be almost entirely internal and might pick up a couple of secondary pieces. Laine's next opportunity to play in the WHC will be next April.

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
Pretty telling when even Chevy's strongest supporters realistically only expect him to address half the holes in the lineup.
That's a fair comment.

All I would say, as someone who has mostly supported Chevy, is that his strength is as a patient builder, but we have yet to see him make many bold moves. So I don't think it is inconsistent to like what he has done building the team, but worry he may be suboptimal in making the finishing moves. His cautious approach is both good and bad, depending on the particular scenario he is dealing with. And those who don't paint him in black or white, but instead recognize both strengths and weaknesses, may be drawing a more accurate picture.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:31 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
That's a fair comment.

All I would say, as someone who has mostly supported Chevy, is that his strength is as a patient builder, but we have yet to see him make many bold moves. So I don't think it is inconsistent to like what he has done building the team, but worry he may be suboptimal in making the finishing moves. His cautious approach is both good and bad, depending on the particular scenario he is dealing with. And those who don't paint him in black or white, but instead recognize both strengths and weaknesses, may be drawing a more accurate picture.
I don't really have those concerns as he showed during our playoff season that he was capable of making aggressive moves for players that addressed holes in the lineup. People forget he's brought in guys like Stempniak and Tulusty that really strengthen our depth during that run. I feel that he'll address a number of issues this summer. He may not get all of them but other than goaltending I don't feel the team needs to bring in a lot.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:32 AM
antiqueslivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Off Season Expectations.

Sign a goalie. My call is Darling. No upgrade on D, unless you believe Poolman is an upgrade. Next season's top 6:

Morrissey-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Poolman-Myers

They go 7-3-1 in the expansion draft getting Toby to waive NMC. LV picks Dano instead and Toby plays out his final year.

Brian Little signs an extension. Nothing happens on the Trouba front but no way Overhardt talks contract yet.

We draft a LHD at # 12 in the entry draft.

Wow this 100%

antiqueslivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I don't really have those concerns as he showed during our playoff season that he was capable of making aggressive moves for players that addressed holes in the lineup. People forget he's brought in guys like Stempniak and Tulusty that really strengthen our depth during that run. I feel that he'll address a number of issues this summer. He may not get all of them but other than goaltending I don't feel the team needs to bring in a lot.
That's cool, and I hope you're right. You might be. But bolstering depth for a playoff run isn't quite the same thing as significant retooling in the off-season. Chevy, for better or worse, has mostly been content to let the team grow organically through the draft.

Especially now, having watched Chevy's post-season press conference, I'm pretty confident we see some kind of goaltending action in the off-season. I'm less confident what that might look like. Or how much I'll like it.

I certainly agree goaltending is the most pressing issue. It's tough to say much about our D needs, without inside info on the health of Enstrom, Myers and Poolman, what Postma is thinking, or (more long term) what Trouba's mindset is on signing with the Jets. It would be really annoying to go into next season with a goaltending fix, yet stumble again with a D-core that is devastated by injuries, having banked too heavily on players with significant health issues without enough depth to keep us afloat.

Old
04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
I would agree with that, but I also believe they won't even try for one of the top UFA's. I think they view both Bucky and the Comster (come on, all our goalies need nicknames, and I didn't think Commie would be particularly endearing ) as being #1 worthy and they won't sign anyone that could be a long term obstacle. Sign a big name, you're basically saying to both of them that their chances of being a #1 here anytime soon are slim to none, and slim was seen saddling up his horse.

I'm also not convinced they have given up on Hutch yet. When the brain trust says our goaltending has to be better next year, I don't think they are excluding the possibility of getting that better goaltending from the current options. Yes, they will sign a goalie to be part of the competition for the 4 spots on the Jets and Moose, but I would be surprised if we get anyone but a tier 2 player who is willing to sign on for a couple of years because he thinks he might have a better shot here than with his current team.
Agree with the bolded - but I found the statement that our goaltending has to be better encouraging. It is on the radar! Finally, after 6 years.

An option you don't mention is a trade for an established starter with only a couple of years left on his contract.

Jimmy Howard was 2nd in the league in SV% this year. That was following a couple of sub par seasons. Maybe he just isn't capable of a starter's work load anymore but if he could give us .920+ for 35-40 games/season for a couple of years it might suit our timeline perfectly.

Detroit is in the worst 'cap hell' in the league. Pretty sure they would let Howard go cheaply just to get rid of his cap hit.

There may be some other, similar opportunities if we looked hard enough, IDK.

I heard another Chevy clip on 1290 this morning. He indicated he is open to moving picks and prospects. He even specifically mentioned 1st & 2nd. That strikes me as a new interest in trading.

He's getting my hopes up again, dammit. Don't tease me Chevy!

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:05 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Agree with the bolded - but I found the statement that our goaltending has to be better encouraging. It is on the radar! Finally, after 6 years.

An option you don't mention is a trade for an established starter with only a couple of years left on his contract.

Jimmy Howard was 2nd in the league in SV% this year. That was following a couple of sub par seasons. Maybe he just isn't capable of a starter's work load anymore but if he could give us .920+ for 35-40 games/season for a couple of years it might suit our timeline perfectly.

Detroit is in the worst 'cap hell' in the league. Pretty sure they would let Howard go cheaply just to get rid of his cap hit.

There may be some other, similar opportunities if we looked hard enough, IDK.

I heard another Chevy clip on 1290 this morning. He indicated he is open to moving picks and prospects. He even specifically mentioned 1st & 2nd. That strikes me as a new interest in trading.

He's getting my hopes up again, dammit. Don't tease me Chevy!
I would never want to see our 1st round pick traded while we are still at this level. Maybe once we become serious contenders, as we will be further down in the draft and looking for more immediate help.

Do not ruin my draft day, Chevy!

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:11 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I don't think we need to sign contracts other than AHL ones. We have all the guys we need. If anything we should be getting rid of some. Such as maybe try and package Petan for a star player.

I mean, would love to see Hutch get traded for Halak, would be the perfect tandem with Hellebuyck.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
That's a fair comment.

He made one of the biggest blockbuster trades in recent NHL history!

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
I would never want to see our 1st round pick traded while we are still at this level. Maybe once we become serious contenders, as we will be further down in the draft and looking for more immediate help.

Do not ruin my draft day, Chevy!
I don't see much difference in trading high draft picks, or trading away some of our existing good assets. If you're not willing to do either, it's tough to bring in much help, unless you're willing to pay through the nose on the FA market.

Although, to achieve some more prospect balance, I'd be happy to draft heavy on D (if the cards play out that way), and trade from the deeper F pool.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Off Season Expectations.

Sign a goalie. My call is Darling. No upgrade on D, unless you believe Poolman is an upgrade. Next season's top 6:

Morrissey-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Poolman-Myers

They go 7-3-1 in the expansion draft getting Toby to waive NMC. LV picks Dano instead and Toby plays out his final year.

Brian Little signs an extension. Nothing happens on the Trouba front but no way Overhardt talks contract yet.

We draft a LHD at # 12 in the entry draft.
I would love this. What would it take to get Toby to waive the NMC?

One thing I would add is negotiate an extension with PM to be signed in December subject to the team performing well out of the gates. If we get off to a slow start then PM is gone. I think there might already be an understanding in place between the two of them to this effect with Maurice saying he is good with this as long as he gets more saves.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
He made one of the biggest blockbuster trades in recent NHL history!
Sure, and the Kane trade is a relevant point to bring up Andy6. But most view that trade as not to address a specific positional need, but rather to deal with a disgruntled player and disharmony on the team. So I get what you're saying, but I view it as a different kind of scenario.

Old
04-11-2017, 12:44 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Realistic?

I dunno, who's the worst D-man available after Brian Strait? Tell me who that is and I'll tell you what's realistic.

Defense: - Chevy does nothing here. He'll wait and see what happens with Myers and won't feel a pressing need to address the left side.

Enstrom won't waive because he won't be asked to (though he will retire straight out after next season and return overseas).

There will be no extension with Trouba as Trouba has no urgency. The only thing working to Trouba's disadvantage is security of a short term (1 year remaining on his RFA deal) contract. He could get hurt and right royally screw himself out of millions but I suspect they might be managing that through insurance. I'm afraid I still think Trouba is more than desirous of leaving our fair city.

He goes BPA at the draft and it's not a D-man. That's ok, but he doesn't do anything to address the holes in our development process on defense because he thinks that Morrissey and Trouba are our future. He's half right.

Postma walks. He's had enough here. It may work out the same was as it did for Redmond or perhaps better, I hope it's the latter for him.

Goaltending - throwing this out there with full tinfoil acknowledged - our goaltending will be resolved by swinging a deal with Vegas for one of the guys they can take in the draft. I don't know what we'll be sending their way but this strikes me as a more appealing option to Chevy than actively pursuing an UFA that will require more dollars and term than he wants to tie up. They'll get a decent guy but with limited term and probably an ok value. They still believe in Helle. Hutch may go back as part of the deal or he will play on the Moose behind Comrie. They'll move a prospect or a lower end player here plus a pick (I'm hopeful it's not in the top three rounds) to get that goaltender.

Prospects - I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Petan moved. Not because I don't think he can get it done but I don't think Maurice thinks he can - he's been Postma'd. He'll stay if Lowry gets taken in the XD but still won't fit Maurice's systems.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Roslovic moved as I think only he, Connor and Petan are the real prospect bargaining chips to part with. Connor revving it up in the A really helped his cause to be the one that stays in Winnipeg. Ideally we keep both but I don't know that that happens. This will depend on the deals we swing with Vegas and what happens with Lowry. The Jets have seemingly drafted a lot of centers, a very good strategy IMO, for flexibility and utility. If Lowry is gone I suspect we keep both Roslovic and Connor.

Extensions - Little gets a new deal at a good rate for both he and the team ($5.5).
Thorburn is brought back on a two year deal for $1million each year. There, I said it, but I think Maurice genuinely believes in him beyond what he does in the room. I'd prefer the Jets give Thorburn a job that keeps him around the players and off the ice if he's that valuable to the organization.
Maurice gets a three year deal. I weep openly.

Last edited by buggs: 04-11-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: forgot about Mau.
buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:22 PM
peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Realistic?

I dunno, who's the worst D-man available after Brian Strait? Tell me who that is and I'll tell you what's realistic.

Defense: - Chevy does nothing here. He'll wait and see what happens with Myers and won't feel a pressing need to address the left side.

Enstrom won't waive because he won't be asked to (though he will retire straight out after next season and return overseas).

There will be no extension with Trouba as Trouba has no urgency. The only thing working to Trouba's disadvantage is security of a short term (1 year remaining on his RFA deal) contract. He could get hurt and right royally screw himself out of millions but I suspect they might be managing that through insurance. I'm afraid I still think Trouba is more than desirous of leaving our fair city.

He goes BPA at the draft and it's not a D-man. That's ok, but he doesn't do anything to address the holes in our development process on defense because he thinks that Morrissey and Trouba are our future. He's half right.

Postma walks. He's had enough here. It may work out the same was as it did for Redmond or perhaps better, I hope it's the latter for him.

Goaltending - throwing this out there with full tinfoil acknowledged - our goaltending will be resolved by swinging a deal with Vegas for one of the guys they can take in the draft. I don't know what we'll be sending their way but this strikes me as a more appealing option to Chevy than actively pursuing an UFA that will require more dollars and term than he wants to tie up. They'll get a decent guy but with limited term and probably an ok value. They still believe in Helle. Hutch may go back as part of the deal or he will play on the Moose behind Comrie. They'll move a prospect or a lower end player here plus a pick (I'm hopeful it's not in the top three rounds) to get that goaltender.

Prospects - I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Petan moved. Not because I don't think he can get it done but I don't think Maurice thinks he can - he's been Postma'd. He'll stay if Lowry gets taken in the XD but still won't fit Maurice's systems.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Roslovic moved as I think only he, Connor and Petan are the real prospect bargaining chips to part with. Connor revving it up in the A really helped his cause to be the one that stays in Winnipeg. Ideally we keep both but I don't know that that happens. This will depend on the deals we swing with Vegas and what happens with Lowry. The Jets have seemingly drafted a lot of centers, a very good strategy IMO, for flexibility and utility. If Lowry is gone I suspect we keep both Roslovic and Connor.

Extensions - Little gets a new deal at a good rate for both he and the team ($5.5).
Thorburn is brought back on a two year deal for $1million each year. There, I said it, but I think Maurice genuinely believes in him beyond what he does in the room. I'd prefer the Jets give Thorburn a job that keeps him around the players and off the ice if he's that valuable to the organization.
Maurice gets a three year deal. I weep openly.
Trouba: "I would like to take out disability insurance in case I have an accident on the job that prevents me from working. Something that will pay me, say, $8 million a year for the next 7 or 8 years."

Insurance agent: "What do you do for a living Mr. Trouba?"

Trouba: Well, I play hockey, but I'm a pretty big boy and I can take care of myself. Not much risk in issuing me insurance."

Insurance agent: "Have you had any injuries that have prevented you from working?"

Trouba: "Only a few. Well once I went head first into the boards, looked like I was trying to eat them. Had to wear a neck brace and missed a couple of months of work. Not too much since then. Oh yeah, I got into a fist fight with this guy about a month ago, we were both cut up bad, it was really funny. Kept me off work until the headaches went away, but I'm good now."

Insurance agent: "How much insurance did you say that you wanted?"

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
We're not getting a 1-1 trade for an equal lefty D. That chance is just so remote it isn't worth considering. The only way that happens is if the player coming back is a step down in some way, IMO. The only way to win that trade is to get 2 pieces that add up to more. Trouba has to be the best player in the trade which, according to some people means we lose the trade.

Best thing to do is make Trouba happy to stay here. Find a way.
This is 100% my favored option. His end of year interviews with the media didn't make me very optimistic however.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 06:49 PM
matthole

Quote:
You can't have too many or too good C's but C is our strongest position. D is our weakest position. You are suggesting giving up our best D and a good C for 2 good C's.

I don't like the value there either. Trouba alone is almost worth that. Throw in Little and we are overpaying.

Our current C depth:
Scheifele
Little
Lowry
Copp
Petan
Roslovic
Harkins/Spacek

We have some good defensemen but after Morrissey and Trouba it is a mishmash that needs sorting out.
I'm not saying I want riddance of Trouba, he's probably my favourite player on the Jets roster when he shows up and I could easily see him as being the best player on the team within this generation of our team. But I'm only saying trade him if he's not willing to stay, and I think the Jets wouldn't try trading D on D with Trouba because other teams would expect extra with the proposal and they wouldn't want to get rid of a Defender themselves, so I think it's in the Jets best decision to load up on offensive talent and get rid of Little before his decline and move his big contract, plus Ehlers, Hischier and Duchene as a line sounds very fast and would be the best 2nd Line in hockey for sure. But looking at defenders, we can't really do anything other than bring up their defensive Prospects and hope Myers and Enstrom stay healthy. But yeah if Trouba wants to stay I would much rather be a fuller team and keep him and build a franchise like Pittsburgh, Washington or Chicago with a heavily balanced team, but if we aren't keeping him anyways than we should trade him with ease.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Bard View Post
1) Get a new boat, something that's better for trolling.
2) Build a gazebo.
3) Restain the deck.

As for hockey, I expect precious little. They expect the growth to be almost entirely internal and might pick up a couple of secondary pieces. Laine's next opportunity to play in the WHC will be next April.
This man got it right! Chevy really wants to address his electric trolling motor... Really hampered him all last summer!

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

For those wanting a top 4 d-man, please remember we have Trouba, Morrissey, Buff, Myers and Enstrom.

You want six top four defencemen? I get improving defensive depth but how much can we really spend in this area? Sure, after Enstrom's contract is up, I can see us upgrading at that time. Not sure there is enough minutes to give to our top five as it is.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 07:37 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I would love this. What would it take to get Toby to waive the NMC?

One thing I would add is negotiate an extension with PM to be signed in December subject to the team performing well out of the gates. If we get off to a slow start then PM is gone. I think there might already be an understanding in place between the two of them to this effect with Maurice saying he is good with this as long as he gets more saves.
The team friendly way would be to work with Vegas not to select Toby by giving a small add for them to select the unprotected forward of their choice. My guess Dano. I don't see Toby being very attractive to LV. He faded a lot last season and is paid $5.75 M next season before becoming a UFA. His value to Vegas is how much of an add they can get to the # 8 F. Chevy suggests to Toby the want him to stay a Jet long term if he doesn't get selected.

The down and dirty way is to buy him out prior to the XD, but don't see Chevy playing hardball with a loyal vet.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote