Realistic Off-season Expectations from Chevy

Old
04-15-2017, 09:24 PM
D1G
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Why should Chevy have signed a high profile free agent when we weren't close yet? It is time to start spending a bit closer to the ceiling and adding some needed pieces.

Even if we stayed 10m away from the cap, that still leaves over 35m for that year.
You sign high profile guys to help you get closer. You don't have to only D and D. But that's what the jets do. They will not go out and get anyone this off season

D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Deedog99

vCash: 50
Watching the leafs series. Good forwards but terrible defenseman. Amazing what it means to have a proper goalie. Put Andersen on the Jets and they would look fantastic!!

Deedog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:32 PM
D1G
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G View Post
You sign high profile guys to help you get closer. You don't have to only D and D. But that's what the jets do. They will not go out and get anyone this off season
Your also forgetting Laines contract the following year. That will bring us closer to the cap after Ehlers,morriesey , Trouba , Lowry are all signed.

Old
04-15-2017, 10:33 PM
surixon

This team doesn't need to go our and spend on a marquee piece other than in net anyhow. We should be able to find a solid LD. There will be a number on the market that can fill the role.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:52 PM
JetBlue420

Exactly what marquee pieces ever truly make it to free agency. You can pretend Stamkos did but he signed with Tampa and was never coming here. No marquee names ever make it to free agency and if they do. .. Parise and Suter as an example.... they already have a team In mind with who they will sign with and it's usually close to home so maybe when Toews or Stone or Glass or Patrick are UFA... we might have a chance

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 02:43 AM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
This team doesn't need to go our and spend on a marquee piece other than in net anyhow. We should be able to find a solid LD. There will be a number on the market that can fill the role.
I think if Enstrom and Myers are back, and able to play consistently than yeah.

Knowing the Jets, and preparing to re-sign a slough of free agents after next year, as the young core, I would not be surprised if we only make small moves.

Maybe sign Patrick Weircioch to a 2 year, $1.5 million deal. His contract covers the potential loss of Enstrom, at some point, conceivably trade deadline if we are not a playoff team, maybe free agency. 2 years is the minimum time I think Stanley will be NHL ready. Not the same player, but similar projected roles.

We could also look at acquiring Zach Redmond as a replacement for Paul Postma. He is on a 2 year deal, league minimum, and showed good chemistry with several players in the franchise. Also can play the left side as the conundrum evolves.
Ben Chiarot is not re-signed.

This avoids giving Poolman a roster spot without getting some development, like Morrissey did, to pay dividends.

Defense is

Morrissey-Trouba
Wiercioch-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
----------------------------
Stuart-Redmond

Which on paper isn't bad

Melchiori-Poolman
Niku-Nogier
Stojkewych-Kostalek

On the Moose makes us at least 11 deep.

If Poolman makes the team it is playing with Buff and his spot comes at Stuart's expense. I would like to see us go after a young LHD, Theodore, Sanheim, Pouliot and Fleury all interest me, but we need to sacrifice somebody to do so. We have not traded any young prospects yet.

Forwards, subtract Dano, Connor earns a spot, Petan, Roslovic, and even Lemieux, compete for a spot, Tanev competes with Matthias and a RH RW for another.

Goalies are plentiful. I have no idea who we have in mind. Raanta seems like he would fit the team best. I hope we do not come back with the status quo, with Comrie competing with Hutch, but it would not surprise me. If the future is Hellebuyck-Comrie, Halak would be a good 1 year pick-up, but I don't see True North picking up rentals other than for a playoff push.

Last edited by voyageur: 04-16-2017 at 02:55 AM.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
sorry we have bad goaltending and our forwards are bad at playing defence mostly because most of them are still young. that is why we let in a lot of goals.
Yeah, that too but you don't have apologize. Its not your fault.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 08:57 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
You sign high profile guys to push you over the top when you are contending and you sign players like MP while you are waiting for your draft picks to be ready.
The time to go after some good free agents starts this year if you ask me. 1LHD or 2LHD and help in the crease and we are in the playoffs next season. We've got to start getting these guys some playoff games.
Connor is a season or two away from top 6 and Armia, Lowry, Copp, etc...are going to do nothing but get better. Chevy has mentioned that they will be looking for help on the PK and I am assuming he means a forward. I hope he goes after someone that is an elite PKer and a solid top 9 player and not some guy that is good on the PK and barely plays on the 4th line. Our 4th line would be nice if it was something like Copp Lowry Dano next season.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedog99 View Post
Watching the leafs series. Good forwards but terrible defenseman. Amazing what it means to have a proper goalie. Put Andersen on the Jets and they would look fantastic!!
Some teams spend their late 1st round picks on legit starting goaltending, others spend them on Logan Stanley...

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:56 AM
NEMSPL
Rookie User

Our defense issues were exaggerated with a large majority of them missing large chunks of time.

With a healthy defense, and a LD acquisition to bolster the left side as well as a 1A/1B for Hellebyuck, there should be absolutely zero reason to miss playoffs next season.

Personally, I want to see Enstrom on a 3rd pairing for his last year of his contract. It's time to move on from him and really cut his minutes down. Getting old, and my god is he ever WEAK. I'm tired of seeing him smashed into the boards and hit off the puck when the game gets physical.

NEMSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMSPL View Post
Our defense issues were exaggerated with a large majority of them missing large chunks of time.

With a healthy defense, and a LD acquisition to bolster the left side as well as a 1A/1B for Hellebyuck, there should be absolutely zero reason to miss playoffs next season.

Personally, I want to see Enstrom on a 3rd pairing for his last year of his contract. It's time to move on from him and really cut his minutes down. Getting old, and my god is he ever WEAK. I'm tired of seeing him smashed into the boards and hit off the puck when the game gets physical.
Watching the playoffs the last few nights, I was cringing thinking of Toby on some of those plays at the end boards. I love him, but he's getting older and more fragile. I don't think he would make it out of the first round unscathed.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Luck of Duck

Quote:
Psykogologically could be good idea to prepare Toby playing big minutes. Last year of contract so he wants to play and perform for his next contract and also we would get better rental value for him if he does perform well. That value wont be super high, but hey, we could get a later round pick with no retained salary - or higher pick with some salary eaten.

... better start praying Hockey Gods for healt of the Jets.

Luck of Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:59 PM
NEMSPL
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
Watching the playoffs the last few nights, I was cringing thinking of Toby on some of those plays at the end boards. I love him, but he's getting older and more fragile. I don't think he would make it out of the first round unscathed.
Oh absolutely. Enstrom's name is on the other team's chalkboard when the game gets physical. They'll dump to his side, destroy him, and strip him of the puck. I'm having flashbacks to our Anaheim sweep....

it's best to shelter Enstrom. Guy gets manhandled.

Next thing you know, we're playing the Flames in the playoffs, and Johnny Gaudeau lights up Enstrom with a crushing blow

Old
04-18-2017, 01:02 PM
stimpsoncat

Quote:

I agree with these points. I think we really need to upgrade on Enstrom and push him down to third pair. If we do that and add a starting goaltender we are playoff bound.

stimpsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Some teams spend their late 1st round picks on legit starting goaltending, others spend them on Logan Stanley...
I was thinking the same thing earlier this morning. Leafs got Andersen for #30 in '16 and #51 in '17. We had #22 and #36 plus a bunch of 'B' prospects in the AHL to work with. But of course we had a 'sure thing' in Hellebuyck so why would we trade for a starter?

I hope Chevy has learned his lesson and goes out and gets a real starter this off-season. Why am I not confident in him?

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:21 PM
matthole

Send all NHL players to the AHL to develop for a year and Draft Dalhin, but for real if the Jets organization isn't willing to pay or trade for a decent LD(Or Good Veteran Goalie) we are never going to vastly improve. If the only way to fix the problem in Chevys eyes is to make them worse by bringing in worse players than the last one we had then we will not ever get passed the first round of the playoffs. We need to Trade, Draft or sign someone who will come in next year and be great for us.

Last edited by matthole: 04-18-2017 at 02:08 PM.
matthole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:02 PM
NEMSPL
Rookie User

Agreed, it's time to stop fishing into the prospect pool to find a young player to fill a need, and it's time to start making big acquisitions for proven young-ish players to cover that need.

Chevy has a stacked forward prospect pipeline and a ton of picks. Time to trade some of those away to compete now. The window is officially open with Wheeler Little and Buff all approaching the wrong side of 30.

Old
04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Joester
Rookie User

My Chevy estimates for this off season:

Chevy trades Hellebuyck + Dano for grubauer, raanta or another top back up goalie that can't be protected during the draft that Vegas is likely to pick. This is basically either giving that team Dano for free, or another young goalie with potential. Jets get a less risky goalie ready for a starting role.

Jets protect 4 and 4, Chevy makes a deal with Vegas to pick Petan and will include picks or lower class prospects.

In free agency Jets sign a bottom 6 forward.

If Myers is expected to be healthy then no move for a top 6 defenceman, if not then Chevy moves for a bottom pairing defenceman for picks.

Ehlers - Sheif - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Perreault
Connor - Lowry - Armia
Roslovic - Copp - Matthias

Trouba - Morrissey
Buff - Enstrom
Myers - Chiarot

Grubauer
Hutchinson

Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:28 PM
D1G
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post

Chevy trades Hellebuyck + Dano for grubauer, raanta or another top back up goalie that can't be protected during the draft that Vegas is likely to pick. This is basically either giving that team Dano for free, or another young goalie with potential. Jets get a less risky goalie ready for a starting role.

Jets protect 4 and 4, Chevy makes a deal with Vegas to pick Petan and will include picks or lower class prospects.

If Myers is expected to be healthy then no move for a top 6 defenceman, if not then Chevy moves for a bottom pairing defenceman for picks.

Ehlers - Sheif - Wheeler
Connor - Lowry - Armia

Trouba - Morrissey
Buff - Enstrom
Myers - Chiarot

Grubauer
Hutchinson
So we are going to throw away a whole season evaluating Helly and then trade him away ? Not likely. Also to many rookies again. Only rookie they should be making the opening day roster next year is Connor. Any more signals another development year to me

Old
04-18-2017, 05:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

A random comment about zone entries against and Enstrom:

It does not seem teams attempt to enter on his side relative to the right side more than out other LHD (less often in fact), but they do dump far more often than gain carry/pass clean entry.

This suggests a lot of the dump ins against Enstrom is actually because he defends the neutral zone well, which fits in with the fact that he tends to have the best / 2nd best defensive impact of our defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, Enstrom's effectiveness is diminishing, but he's still good defensively. The issue is the offense.

The bigger problems are the Chiarot's and Stuart's who don't get dumped in against but instead back up until the opponent is in scoring position.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

vCash: 920
Realistic summer...Chevy you say?

Get some fishing in, repaint the cabin, play a few rounds of golf.

Maybe go all out and do some landscaping around the yard. Put up a new gazebo?

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:

Ehlers - Sheif - Wheeler
Connor - Lowry - Armia

Trouba - Morrissey
Buff - Enstrom
Myers - Chiarot

Grubauer
Hutchinson
I wouldn't trade Hellebuyck for Grubauer straight-up.

And unless you're going to lean on Grubauer or Raanta for 75 games, you're going to run into the exact same issue with Hutchinson as this past season.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Joester
Rookie User

Quote:
So we are going to throw away a whole season evaluating Helly and then trade him away ? Not likely. Also to many rookies again. Only rookie they should be making the opening day roster next year is Connor. Any more signals another development year to me
1 more rookie in addition to Connor makes it a development season? It's possible roslovic doesn't start with the Jets and someone like tanev replaces him in my line up. And just because we evaluated helle him doesn't mean we're keeping him. I don't think Helle is bad and I think he has potential but he was clearly not good enough as a starter which makes him expendable if it's to pick up a starter. Comrie will be waiting in the wings for when Hutchinson is gone next year.

Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
A random comment about zone entries against and Enstrom:

It does not seem teams attempt to enter on his side relative to the right side more than out other LHD (less often in fact), but they do dump far more often than gain carry/pass clean entry.

This suggests a lot of the dump ins against Enstrom is actually because he defends the neutral zone well, which fits in with the fact that he tends to have the best / 2nd best defensive impact of our defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, Enstrom's effectiveness is diminishing, but he's still good defensively. The issue is the offense.

The bigger problems are the Chiarot's and Stuart's who don't get dumped in against but instead back up until the opponent is in scoring position.
I was just starting to erase the image of Stuart skating awkwardly backwards into his goalie's lap, and you have to go and bring it all back to the surface. Thanks a lot, Garret!

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:09 PM
D1G
Rookie User

Quote:
1 more rookie in addition to Connor makes it a development season? It's possible roslovic doesn't start with the Jets and someone like tanev replaces him in my line up. And just because we evaluated helle him doesn't mean we're keeping him. I don't think Helle is bad and I think he has potential but he was clearly not good enough as a starter which makes him expendable if it's to pick up a starter. Comrie will be waiting in the wings for when Hutchinson is gone next year.
I said anymore then one is a developmental season again.