HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could/Should the Habs get Patrick Marleau?

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Neil Young Fan

vCash: 500
Could/Should the Habs get Patrick Marleau?

I think he'd be perfect for the team. He's a big centre, he can score and make plays (23G 38A last season), he's got considerable speed (I remember a goal he scored against the Habs last year where he blew by Brisebois [I think] on the outside, cut across the net and burried it...very nice). He's also only 24 years old, so his best days are still to come. I'm not sure what his salary details are at the moment.

Here's the rub: what would it take to get him? I'm thinking a defenseman, forward and a prospect, maybe even a draft pick too. They've got several goalies in SJ, so I don't think Garon or any other netminder need be considered.

What about...
Rivet, Perreault, Ward, 2nd Round
or
Brisebois, Ribiero, Hossa, 2nd Round

I don't particularly want BG to get rid of any of those guys at the moment, but if Marleau came in return, I think it would be worth it. Any thoughts, or other ideas of how to land him? This is not at all based on a rumour, I simply think he's the type of player the Habs could use, and hey, I can dream, can't I?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:05 AM
mcphee

Yes you can dream, in fact I dreamed I saw some knights in armour coming, singing something about a queen. Sorry, a little Neil Youg humour, I'm a big fan too.

I'd love to see Marleau in Montreal, but I have to think that he's a cornerstone of a mini re build in San Jose. The guys you offer, while useful, wouldn't be difference makers. I think that the Perreault's and Brisebois's are exactly what they are trying to avoid. Rivet too, for that matter.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Darz

Gotta agree with mcphee (hey that rhymes) SJ has no interest in moving Marleau unless we make them an offer they can't resist. Imo, it would take something like:

-Hainsey or Komisarek
-Hossa or Perezhogin
-1st or 2nd rounder

I agree though, I would LOVE to see Marleau in Montreal.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:42 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Yes you can dream, in fact I dreamed I saw some knights in armour coming, singing something about a queen. Sorry, a little Neil Youg humour, I'm a big fan too.

I'd love to see Marleau in Montreal, but I have to think that he's a cornerstone of a mini re build in San Jose. The guys you offer, while useful, wouldn't be difference makers. I think that the Perreault's and Brisebois's are exactly what they are trying to avoid. Rivet too, for that matter.
agreed, my sentiments exactly

Old
10-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Le Gross Pork

vCash:
Firstly, we must take 3 things into consideration:

(I) Difficulty or success in floral transformation with Arabidopsis

(II) Problems of selecting for the pSOUP vector whose trfA function provides the replicase function for pGreen (see below). Many C58-derived strains (including GV series) develop spontaneous resistance to tetracyclin. The solution is to co-transform both pSoup and pGreen and use kanamycin selection solely, rather than tet/kan.
A chemical transformation method is available in MolBiol.Net > Protocols > Transformations

(III) Backbone rearrangements, pGreenI was prone to recombination with E.coli genomic DNA - has anyone has problems with the same and pGreenII

Old
10-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Neil Young Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Gotta agree with mcphee (hey that rhymes) SJ has no interest in moving Marleau unless we make them an offer they can't resist. Imo, it would take something like:

-Hainsey or Komisarek
-Hossa or Perezhogin
-1st or 2nd rounder

I agree though, I would LOVE to see Marleau in Montreal.
You know, call me crazy, but if I was the GM I'd be tempted to do something along those lines if that what SJ asked for. I know, I know, those are some of the brightest prospects (particularly the two D-men), but Marleau is both young and proven. If SJ would do it, I would agree to Hainsey/Perezhogin/2nd Round in a flash. Hainsey is looking better and better, so he would be missed, but the Habs are deep at D. Perezhogin is a question mark, but he's small and from what I've heard, he seems disinterested at times. A 2nd Rounder is not something to be given away on a whim, but again Marleau=pretty much a sure thing. Basically, with these suggestions in mind, my best case scenario, as an imaginary Habs GM would be:
Hainsey, Perez, 2nd
The worse case would be:
Hainsey or Komisarek, Hossa, 1st

I'm still not sure if SJ would do it...Marleau to them is probably like Koivu to the Habs. I just can't get the idea that the Habs need a big centre who can score and keep pace with his wingers out of my head. I'm not sure Kilger can do that, once he gets back. On that topic, what do people think will happen when he comes back---will he get to play centre, as was announced before he was injured (and before Begin was picked up)? There's been lots of talk about centre shuffling with Koivu's return, but I haven't seen any mention of Kilger in the middle.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:45 AM
tinyzombies

I go to Sharks game and I doubt that they will trade their current marquee player for a bunch of kids. They already have prospects. You'd have to blow their socks off because their season ticket holder base is now riding on Marleau's shoulders and San Jose is well known for its sell-outs. I don't know for how much longer tho, the fans are disgruntled.

The Sharks are happy with their D and goaltending, but they've said they could use some speedy forwards. They haven't talked about replacing Nolan, but a power forward would be nice too.

It would probably take all of our best forward prospects to get him.

Perhaps they'd go for Hossa, Ward and something younger, but even if the parts fit, like I said, the trade probably still doesn't make sense for them because they would lose their marquee player.

Besides, Marleau is a floater and a perimeter player. He's very streaky as well and doesn't use his one-timer or speed very much. He has all the tools, but whether he busts out like Jeff O'Neill did remains to be seen.

If I were bundling a bunch of players to get one player on the Sharks, it would be Brad Stuart. But with Jilson starting so well for Boston, they are starting to feel a bit burnt by that deal, so I doubt they'd trade another young defenseman, especially a potential superstar like Stuart.

Closed Thread