Notices

Jets Starting Lineup 2017-18

Old
04-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Keystone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
I would trade for Jordan Staal and Halak, sign Eaves and Alzner in free agency and ice the following lineup with Dano gone to Vegas and Stu and Tanev with the Moose...

Laine Little Wheeler (I think Laine would do well here)
Connor Scheifele Ehlers (speed kills)
Perrreault Staal Armia (really solid D with a bit of O)
Copp Lowry Eaves (a great 4th line that should get over 10 mins a game)

Morrissey Trouba (25 mins)
Alzner Buff (22 mins)
Enstrom Nogier (13 mins)

Halak Helle

Pressbox Matthias Chiarot Postma

Myers, Petan and a 2018 1st go to Canes for a 3rd in 2017 and Staal and they retain 1m.
A 3rd rounder in 2017 and Hutch for Halak at 30% retained.

This lineup starts making the playoffs next season and should continue to do so for years. Staal is an elite PKer and one of the best two way centers in the league. He will give you around 45 points a game. His line could shut down other lines and still put up oints and this lets Roslo develop properly and Lowry go to the 4th line where he should be. If Halak isn't the answer and Helle/Comrie aren't panning out, go for Raanta or Jones in free agency.
I feel fairly confident saying a 32 goalscorer isn't wasting his shot at a huge payday to play for peanuts on our fourth line.

Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 09:50 PM
ocdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
MP Little Wheeler
Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Lowry Armia

Some how we gotta get Lowry as our 4th line centre

I like Connor on the 3rd for the beginning of the season and work his way up

We should try moving Petan with someone at this point. Feel like he's a waste of talent with the Jets and their the way they manage lines
I used to have a hate on for Big Adam Lowry but that has changed since this year. Is 15 goals enough for a 3rd line Centre? I would say yes. What I really like about his game this year is that he seems to be more confident about throwing his weight around and playing a meaner game. Not full on cheap stuff but a bit more of the gritty chippy stuff which I think this team needs more of.

So I agree with your lineup and could see Adam, Connor , and Armia all scoring 15 plus. That's a solid 3rd. Then pack the 4th with some aggressive PK types.

ocdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 09:54 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Still praying on Halak to get picked up the Jets next season.

Brett Connolly wouldn't be a bad pick up though.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 09:18 AM
voyageur
The watchful one

I look at us being stuck in a rut with the expansion draft. One team that stood out to was Carolina. They have 3 starting defenseman protected under entry level status, of significance: Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce. But they do not have a vet since trading Ron Hainsey away. And like us struggle to attract free agents. I think this would be a perfect fit for Toby Enstrom. Chevy needs prospects on the LHD side. Haydn Fleury is a good mold for the way we play, having seen late season success out of Chiarot and Melchiori paired with Big Buff. Maybe we add a later pick or forward prospect.

We re-sign Thorburn to a two way contract, to expose Dano. We trade Stuart and a 3rd to the Islanders for Halak.

Jimmy Lodge and Berdin are traded for Derrick Pouliot.

Patrick Weircoch is signed for depth.

We have an audition between Poolman, Weircoch,Chiarot and Fleury to play witn Buff,
Pouliot, Fleury, Weircoch to play with Myers.

Lineup is not static, different combinations work: Ehlers-Laine, Perreault-Scheif, Schweelers, Lowry-Armia, Perreault-Lowry, Petan-Copp, Petan-Armia. Players like Connor and Copp can move around the lineup.

Starting day maybe:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Tanev
-----------------------------
Matthias

Morrissey-Trouba
Poolman-Buff
Pouiliot-Myers
-------------------------------
Chiarot, Weircoch

Hellebuyck
Halak

MOOSE
Foley-Roslovic-Spacek
DeLeo-Harkins-Kosmachuk
Lemieux-Gennaro-Thorburn
Howden-Olsen/Glennie-Lipon

Fleury-Nogier (former Rebels)
Niku-Melchiori
Stojkewych-Kostalek
N. Zajac, backup PP QB defenseman, in case Poolman graduates, assuming Kichton moves on.

Hutchinson
Comrie

You hope that Roslovic, and Lemieux, Fleury, Nogier, DeLeo, Foley, Harkins, and Comrie all develop and progress.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

I think Petan is in a major doghouse.
Without an amazing pre-season and assuming he isn't moved in some other way I don't see him opening the season on the LW of the 4th line.

It's top 9 or MOOSE.

Anyone's lineup that includes Stu should just close up their HF account now.
Poolman will be given every opportunity to earn playing time in the top 6.

I think the only addition we can any confidence in is a new goalie to play / compete with Helle.

Unless there is some great deal to be had I assume the Jets will sign an AHL level D and let Poolman and Meyers try to boost our D first. Perhaps with the intention finally that if it's not working or we have too many injuries that they would make an in season move to address it. But basically they don't want to spend the assets on a top 4 LHD when they feel (when healthy) that they have 5 Top 4 D on the roster already.

Laine can play with Little if they have chemistry like in the middle of the season. And they likely need to shake up the Top 6 through out the season. But Laine should play the majority of his games with Scheifele. I think Little was playing hurt at the end of the year his game seemed to fall off a cliff (even in games where he got points).

Connor will start on the 3rd line or better.
Roslovic will start on the Moose (I think Petan will too)
If Dano is still with the team then his contract will keep him with the Jets... even if it's in the pressbox.

No resigning face puncher!!!

Team needs to reduce the dump and change strategy.
It seemed like about 90% of Laine's shifts he was coming out after the team had dumped and given away possession.
If they could improve on that a small amount it would result in more pressure, chances and goals.

Did anyone notice Connor NOT dumping the puck and circling back into our end while we changed? More of this please.

True North will mainly rely on growth from within.
Aside from the goalie position which even they can't ignore.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Some of these trades wouldn't even pass on NHL be a gm mode... :|

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:56 PM
D1G

Won't be much difference next year. Maybe Connor. But unless he is better then what he have defensively he won't make it. We don't need more offence. Same D as well. Only addition we will make is a back up goalie for Helly. Not one to compete. But one to hopefully tie us over if he struggles again

D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Hobble

Who is the UFA defenseman with the worst analytics? We probably sign him.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:42 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Who is the UFA defenseman with the worst analytics? We probably sign him.
Brian Strait

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm interested to see how the top 9 wings form out... there's a lot of moving pieces and variables.

Wheeler was the Jets best winger but had a far tougher year in 5v5 scoring than his usual. He's still the Jets best forward last season in WAR despite.

Perreault had his second worst season in even strength point per hour pace but was still the Jets 3rd best forward and second best winger by WAR. Like Wheeler, Perreault actually has a history of being an elite point producer per hour of ice time. His scoring bounced back to his historical norm onced he healed apparently.

Ehlers and Laine scored a dumpload relative to ice time, but weren't as good in terms of two way games or overall as the previous two players.

Ehlers overall was a lot closer to Wheeler and Perreault, predominantly through drawing a dumpload of penalties (had league's third best minor penalty differential).

Laine's value was a quick riser and he improved on his weaknesses throughout the season, although he has a long way to go to being in the same tier as Wheeler or even Perreault.

Connor is all potential, but he has the speed and skills to be a top nine player, fast on the forecheck and add penalty kill value as well.

Will Wheeler's and Perreault's next season's offense be more like past years and the end of last season, or is this some odd trend down? Will and by how much improvement overall will Laine and Ehlers see?

Who will be the other top 9 winger?

Armia had one of the Jets best defensive games at even strength but lacked offense.

Copp was actually pretty decent on the wing but I prefer him at centre.

Matthias was injured for most of the year even when playing. He scores goals relative to ice time very well but doesn't add much else and is weak defensively.

Petan has two results over his time in the NHL: 50% of his ice time with Thorburn and/or Tanev looking like hot garbage, and 50% of his time with skilled players with elite results that make those players even better too.

Dano meanwhile actually has the best numbers of the ragtag bunch but doesn't seem to garner much faith because of how he looks rather than the results he garners.

Tanev was worse than Thorburn except in penalty differentials.
Can I have the bolded written in bronze and mounted on a plaque somewhere?

I think part of the problem with Dano is not that he fails to 'look the part' but that his play has been so fragmented by injury and coaching that he has never been able to form a visual impression of any kind for many people. It isn't that it is bad. It is that it is invisible. I find it very easy to suggest maneuvring him to LV because it doesn't make me see a hole in the lineup. Not because I see him as not quite as good as the others. I just wouldn't miss him.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
And you just know Tanev is going to be gifted a spot on the Jets to start the season.
Tanev really is a James Wright clone,isn't he.

He makes good use of his speed a lot of times but always seems to just miss making the right play or an available better play. I don't think he needs to learn or develop much to be a good utility man. But at his age I wonder if there is much chance that he will? Is it worth a shot?

I think I would be inclined to offer him a 1 year, 2 way, minimum salary contract. Leave him in the A for a while and see if he can progress. If not, very little has been lost and he will have had a full chance. If he can play just a little smarter his speed can be useful.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm interested to see how the top 9 wings form out... there's a lot of moving pieces and variables.

Wheeler was the Jets best winger but had a far tougher year in 5v5 scoring than his usual. He's still the Jets best forward last season in WAR despite.

Perreault had his second worst season in even strength point per hour pace but was still the Jets 3rd best forward and second best winger by WAR. Like Wheeler, Perreault actually has a history of being an elite point producer per hour of ice time. His scoring bounced back to his historical norm onced he healed apparently.

Ehlers and Laine scored a dumpload relative to ice time, but weren't as good in terms of two way games or overall as the previous two players.

Ehlers overall was a lot closer to Wheeler and Perreault, predominantly through drawing a dumpload of penalties (had league's third best minor penalty differential).

Laine's value was a quick riser and he improved on his weaknesses throughout the season, although he has a long way to go to being in the same tier as Wheeler or even Perreault.

Connor is all potential, but he has the speed and skills to be a top nine player, fast on the forecheck and add penalty kill value as well.

Will Wheeler's and Perreault's next season's offense be more like past years and the end of last season, or is this some odd trend down? Will and by how much improvement overall will Laine and Ehlers see?

Who will be the other top 9 winger?

Armia had one of the Jets best defensive games at even strength but lacked offense.

Copp was actually pretty decent on the wing but I prefer him at centre.

Matthias was injured for most of the year even when playing. He scores goals relative to ice time very well but doesn't add much else and is weak defensively.

Petan has two results over his time in the NHL: 50% of his ice time with Thorburn and/or Tanev looking like hot garbage, and 50% of his time with skilled players with elite results that make those players even better too.

Dano meanwhile actually has the best numbers of the ragtag bunch but doesn't seem to garner much faith because of how he looks rather than the results he garners.

Tanev was worse than Thorburn except in penalty differentials.
I think Chevy is looking at who that could be via trade. Ideally that player has size, speed and is very good defensively and chips in offensively. A Frolik-type that can move up the line up for injury or line matching situations. It seems like they were auditioning Copp for that spot, but i'm not sure he checks all the boxes. A solid vet would be better.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdaddy View Post
I used to have a hate on for Big Adam Lowry but that has changed since this year. Is 15 goals enough for a 3rd line Centre? I would say yes. What I really like about his game this year is that he seems to be more confident about throwing his weight around and playing a meaner game. Not full on cheap stuff but a bit more of the gritty chippy stuff which I think this team needs more of.

So I agree with your lineup and could see Adam, Connor , and Armia all scoring 15 plus. That's a solid 3rd. Then pack the 4th with some aggressive PK types.
No hate against Lowry. It's just thst we'd have a really good team with Lowry as our 4th line center

But right now Connor Lowry Armia sounds like a really nice 3rd line. Give us more depth on forwards instead of having just 2 scoring lines

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
No hate against Lowry. It's just thst we'd have a really good team with Lowry as our 4th line center

But right now Connor Lowry Armia sounds like a really nice 3rd line. Give us more depth on forwards instead of having just 2 scoring lines
Move Perreault to Lowry's line to add scoring and face tough lines. Move Connor to Little and Wheeler's line to give him some vet presence with a ton of speed and a goal scorer.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Move Perreault to Lowry's line to add scoring and face tough lines. Move Connor to Little and Wheeler's line to give him some vet presence with a ton of speed and a goal scorer.
I can dig it

I like the sound of that 3rd line

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:11 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I look at us being stuck in a rut with the expansion draft. One team that stood out to was Carolina. They have 3 starting defenseman protected under entry level status, of significance: Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce. But they do not have a vet since trading Ron Hainsey away. And like us struggle to attract free agents. I think this would be a perfect fit for Toby Enstrom. Chevy needs prospects on the LHD side. Haydn Fleury is a good mold for the way we play, having seen late season success out of Chiarot and Melchiori paired with Big Buff. Maybe we add a later pick or forward prospect.

We re-sign Thorburn to a two way contract, to expose Dano. We trade Stuart and a 3rd to the Islanders for Halak.

Jimmy Lodge and Berdin are traded for Derrick Pouliot.

Patrick Weircoch is signed for depth.

We have an audition between Poolman, Weircoch,Chiarot and Fleury to play witn Buff,
Pouliot, Fleury, Weircoch to play with Myers.

Lineup is not static, different combinations work: Ehlers-Laine, Perreault-Scheif, Schweelers, Lowry-Armia, Perreault-Lowry, Petan-Copp, Petan-Armia. Players like Connor and Copp can move around the lineup.

Starting day maybe:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Tanev
-----------------------------
Matthias

Morrissey-Trouba
Poolman-Buff
Pouiliot-Myers
-------------------------------
Chiarot, Weircoch

Hellebuyck
Halak

MOOSE
Foley-Roslovic-Spacek
DeLeo-Harkins-Kosmachuk
Lemieux-Gennaro-Thorburn
Howden-Olsen/Glennie-Lipon

Fleury-Nogier (former Rebels)
Niku-Melchiori
Stojkewych-Kostalek
N. Zajac, backup PP QB defenseman, in case Poolman graduates, assuming Kichton moves on.

Hutchinson
Comrie

You hope that Roslovic, and Lemieux, Fleury, Nogier, DeLeo, Foley, Harkins, and Comrie all develop and progress.
Regarding the first bolded...do you think we get Fleury for Chiarot/Mel and a late pick/prospect? If that prospect is Connor okay but I am not willing to trade Connor.
The second bolded you will have to explain.....how does signing Thorbs help us in any way?
If we trade Stu, which D man do we expose?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:46 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Tanev really is a James Wright clone,isn't he.

He makes good use of his speed a lot of times but always seems to just miss making the right play or an available better play. I don't think he needs to learn or develop much to be a good utility man. But at his age I wonder if there is much chance that he will? Is it worth a shot?

I think I would be inclined to offer him a 1 year, 2 way, minimum salary contract. Leave him in the A for a while and see if he can progress. If not, very little has been lost and he will have had a full chance. If he can play just a little smarter his speed can be useful.
For me I can't even give him that much credit. He skates around like the Tasmanian Devil but never causes turn overs with his speed, somehow rarely retrieves a dump in, always seems to be on the wrong side of the puck chasing, always takes bad angles, always out of position, couple all of those things with the calamity that ensues when he actually has the puck it's some times a wonder to me why he isn't playing the ECHL.

His speed is a major advantage at lower levels I'm sure, but at the NHL level the players are just too smart they move the puck around him like he's a pylon.

In regards to James Wright I've been saying this for a while now, at least James Wright had the hockey sense to get himself into position to whiff on scoring chances.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 09:21 PM
kittiecarlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Still praying on Halak to get picked up the Jets next season.

Brett Connolly wouldn't be a bad pick up though.
Interesting, even after it was brought up several times that he was a bad locker room presence and wasn't liked by teamates? You think his ability makes that a non factor?

kittiecarlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 10:10 PM
JetBlue420

I'd talk to Vegas. Tell them to take Raanta in the expansion draft. Expose myers or Toby and then tell Vegas I'll trade you Petan and a 2nd if you take Dano and you give us Raanta. I actually see the Jets getting a goalie via Vegas

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 10:14 PM
JetBlue420

As for lines

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Laine
Connor Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Lemieux (because they like him)

Trouba Morrissey
Buff UFA
Myers Enstrom

Poolman takes Myers spot in 10 or so games when Myers gets hurt

Raanta Helle

Old
04-14-2017, 10:14 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
I'd talk to Vegas. Tell them to take Raanta in the expansion draft. Expose myers or Toby and then tell Vegas I'll trade you Petan and a 2nd if you take Dano and you give us Raanta. I actually see the Jets getting a goalie via Vegas

It will be the best of the cheapist options. Wherever that deal is. Is where the jets get a goalie imo

D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 10:16 PM
JetBlue420

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G View Post
It will be the best of the cheapist options. Wherever that deal is. Is where the jets get a goalie imo
Don't think so. Think they can spend. No pav contract. Helle Rfa might get 1.5 a year.

Think they are willing to spend there but at this point I'd prefer Raanta at 1.5 or 2 or whatever he's making to halak bishop or fleury at over 5.

It's about good value. Raanta is good value at what he's making. Bishop Halak Fleury probably aren't

Old
04-14-2017, 10:21 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Brian Strait

Stuart and Chiarot are both near misses.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 02:09 AM
Asiantuntija

Line one: Perreault - Scheifele - Laine
Line Two: Connor - Lowry/New Guy - Wheeler
Line Three: Ehlers - Little - Armia
Line Four: Petan - Copp -Matthias

Defence:
1st Pair: Morrissey - Trouba
2nd pair: New guy - Big B
3rd pair: Enstrom - Myers
extra: Chiarot

Goal:
New Guy
Hellebuyck

First line is fire. Everyone has huge chemistry with each other so they will product. I put Connor and Lowry to second line, because i think they have better chemistry to product with Wheeler than Connor and Little and i'm not surprised if we get new guy to our center. Third line is also very good and it has potential to product very much.

Last edited by Asiantuntija: 04-15-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:14 AM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
If I was coach I would go in wanting this:

Perreault Little Wheeler
Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Petan Armia
Copp/Dano Lowry xxxx (Matthias?)

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Buff