HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Boyon90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
Yea Chytil is a solid prospect, could end up being a Lehkonen type 2nd round steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
Because they are talking about Chytil for our first or a early second?
ok, cmon, im glad TT1 your ARE OK MY MAN

Old
04-15-2017, 04:25 PM
TT1

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Kosorenkov and Gawanke are way too low on the CSS rankings. Way too low. I know they are both small.....who cares based on talent at this point.
Gawanke is weak defensively, has a lot of offensive upside tho.

Old
04-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Quote:
Gawanke is weak defensively, has a lot of offensive upside tho.
I saw him 5 times on TV and once live and never did I see that weak thing you are talking about. I saw him being really good 1 on 1.

Old
04-15-2017, 04:42 PM
TT1

What can i tell you, watch him more then? Even his coach has talked about how he needs to improve in that regard. Offensively he's done well with the limited minutes that he gets tho.

Old
04-15-2017, 05:03 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
I liked what I saw from Brännström tonight. Real snappy player. Crisp, accurate, quick passes, great skater, and the intelligence to go with it. He has a bit of a weird slap shot. It seems like he picks the puck clean off the ice instead of hitting the ice before the puck. Doesn't seem to be too powerful but from what I've seen it gets the job done.

Old
04-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I saw him 5 times on TV and once live and never did I see that weak thing you are talking about. I saw him being really good 1 on 1.

He's undersized for a dman....not very highly regarded..may go in the late rounds.

Old
04-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Why do I now think Vesalainen might be a top 5 prospect? Look at these highlights..size/skill package is sweet

https://recrutes.ca/kristian-vesalai...d-apr-15-2017/

Old
04-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Why do I now think Vesalainen might be a top 5 prospect? Look at these highlights..size/skill package is sweet

The kid reminds me of Burakovsky at that age. Hopefully, he develops the same way.

Old
04-16-2017, 04:32 PM
TT1

The good prospects are solidifying their ranks, now im hoping that someone like Timmins or Thomas slips to us.. which is highly unlikely .

Personally i'd love to see us snag Barratt, hopefully closer to our 2nd for maximum value. We're gonna have to make a tough decision regardless. I think guys like Barratt, Ratcliffe, Robertson, Boqvist, Yamamoto and Kostin (late 1st) will be available.

Last edited by TT1: 04-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old
04-16-2017, 05:20 PM
NotProkofievian

That Vesalainen video is very impressive.

Turning to the later rounds, I thought Fafrak had a good game against Canada. He drew a penalty, and got an assist (which was gifted to him through an awesome play by Roman), and maybe should have gotten an assist on the Liska goal.

Old
04-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
He's undersized for a dman....not very highly regarded..may go in the late rounds.
I don't have him in the first 3 rounds either. I will be looking at him starting at round 4. At least for me.

Old
04-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
What can i tell you, watch him more then? Even his coach has talked about how he needs to improve in that regard. Offensively he's done well with the limited minutes that he gets tho.
Ah okay, sorry, didn't you you hold the truth. Yeah, a prospect needs improvement. Really?

Gawanke is coming from Germany. A young, May 99 born. He is mostly an offensive d-man. Had to learn a whole lot. And obviously is still learning. By the way, I'd love to see that article of Dumont talking about Gawanke.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-16-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old
04-17-2017, 05:35 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

I also noticed your highlights of Toropchenko, so I decided to watch the Sweden game to get another look at him. I don't think he played a shift until 12 minutes into the 1st period. First shift, he comes out guns blazing, almost scores a goal and gives the swedes all they can handle on the forecheck.

I like him.

Old
04-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Sensational performance by Ikonen yesterday..Vesalainen studly again too - Joni's goals: https://recrutes.ca/joni-ikonen-hat-...a-apr-16-2017/

Old
04-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sensational performance by Ikonen yesterday..Vesalainen studly again too - Joni's goals: https://recrutes.ca/joni-ikonen-hat-...a-apr-16-2017/
Any thoughts on Linus Nyman? Small but I think he could be a riser into the late 2nd/early 3rd based on skill

Old
04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
NotProkofievian

Just finished watching the USA - Czech game. Hoooooly crap is that Czech team's defence ever terrible. Odd man rushes, breakaways and penalty shots for days. Some of that had to do with playing Necas as a pointman on their powerplay for approximately no reason. Kvasnicka is a DND for me at this point. Don't see the point of drafting any of the Czech dmen really.

Ostap Safin - okay this guy can actually play hockey. I have no idea what St. Cyr was doing on his goal, but that doesn't really matter to me. He was a factor most times he was on the ice. Huge dude with a healthy amount of physical skill who can, more importantly, think the game well.

Filip Chytil - didn't register a point but he was the best player on his line today, and one of the only Czech forwards who was positively contributing to their cause. Set up his linemates with at least 3 good chances today but they all missed. I don't know why, but the coach insists on playing Necas as the center of that line. Chytil's a center. When they need a draw won, it's usually Chytil taking it. He's a superior playmaker. Great vision and passing skills. He's also really good at winning possession in his zone and starting the breakout, either by himself or by gaining space and deferring to a defender.

Martin Necas - I dunno man. He hasn't been helping his case this tournament.

Evan Barratt - had a quiet game today but one skill in particular that one notices is that he understands how to create his own passing lanes. He doesn't just wait for them to open up. He's got skill to back up that understanding of the dynamics of the game.

I wasn't really watching the dmen too much but Maxwell Gildon had two goals and looked impressive to me.

Old
04-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Tribu

I'm not sold on Vesalainen. Seems to have all the physicial tools you want (skating, size, shot), but not a lot of hockey smarts. Also read from some finnish posters that his work ethic isn't very good.

I also liked the Toropchenko posted. I'd like to see what he can do on the cycle game, but he seems to have a lot to like: size, speed, hustle, vision, etc.

Old
04-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

I'm not sold on Liljegren...haven't been all season. IMO he's has been grossly overhyped. Here's my take on him and why he's not in my top 15 - the top note in Grants Slant:

https://recrutes.ca/grants-slant/

Old
04-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
Any thoughts on Linus Nyman? Small but I think he could be a riser into the late 2nd/early 3rd based on skill
I'm thinking that he'll go in the fourth or fifth....but he keeps this up and maybe someone considers him in the third. Had a decent playoff in Kgn too.

Old
04-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribu View Post
I'm not sold on Vesalainen. Seems to have all the physicial tools you want (skating, size, shot), but not a lot of hockey smarts. Also read from some finnish posters that his work ethic isn't very good.

I also liked the Toropchenko posted. I'd like to see what he can do on the cycle game, but he seems to have a lot to like: size, speed, hustle, vision, etc.
Keep reading the concerns with his smarts...not sure about that...not the most creative player perhaps..but I'm not seeing it as a weakness...has made a ton of good passes/decisions in this tournament. I don't think there's a work ethic issue either....maybe he was a bit tentative in the men's league at times and overthinking things...but versus his peers he works and thinks just fine IMO.

Old
04-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Pompeius Magnus

Can't say Liljegren has impressed me much the few times I've seen him. Weirdly enough, he reminds me of Sean Day in that all the elements SHOULD be there but he never seems to be in control of anything. He's very tentative in the defensive end, like he doesn't know where to go and he's scared of taking charge.

Old
04-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Nice start by Glass - here's the video - he's been top five in our rankings since early March -

https://recrutes.ca/cody-glass-2g-1a...d-apr-17-2017/

Old
04-18-2017, 10:58 AM
NotProkofievian

Vesalainen with the hat trick against Canada. The kid is a beast. Dudes on the mainboard saying ''he's snuck back into the 1st round'' are kidding themselves. We won't have a chance to draft him. Far and away the most impressive prospect that I've watched at this U18.

Vaakanainen has made a lot of progress since I last watched him. You can tell he's been playing a regular shift against pros since he was 16. He's ridiculously smooth and calm coming out of his own end, either by using his excellent skating to blow past forecheckers, or his passing ability to hit a forward with speed on the tape. I know we have good defencemen in our prospect pool but I will be very disappointed in anyone who complains about having drafted him.

Santeri Virtanen impressed me.

Old
04-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Great performance by the Finns against Team Canada. Ikonen, Vesalainen and Heiskanen are all looking like legit prospects. We might have a chance at two of them with our 3 top 60 picks. Vesaleinen is looking more and more like he'll go in the first half of the first though.

Old
04-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

I've been interested in Vaakanainen since the start of the season, not a ton on info on the guy though.

He's a great skater and has a good first pass, but what about his offensive upside? Numbers in pro leagues at such a young age rarely mean anything.

If it came down between Vaakanainen and Brannstrom at our pick, who would be the better pick? Even though I'd still rather have us draft a center, if the two BPAs are defensemen, so be it.

Closed Thread