HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose/Florida Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2006, 02:29 AM
silver_made*

vCash: 500
San Jose/Florida Proposal

San Jose Gets:
Olli Jokinen

Florida Gets:
Alyn McCauley
Vesa Toskala

Vesa and Olli are both impending UFAs, with Olli carrying more value. San Jose can continue their collection of the top picks from '97 while florida can move forward with their future and life after luongo. toskala will serve as a very good starter, and a much lighter financial burden as well (will be much easier to resign longterm than roberto). mccauley sort of balances things out AND gives Florida the selke-quality forward it needs to teach ALL of its forwards to backcheck properly. IMO, San Jose is and SHOULD be giving up slightly more because they are closer to the playoffs and will be able to maximize the use of their rental. perhaps best of all: this will allow Florida to use Olli to get a goalie, thus avoiding being forced into a goalie-for-goalie deal involving luongo and instead using roberto to acquire help in other areas (top 6 forwards, bluechip prospects, top 4 dmen, etc.).

Last edited by silver_made*: 02-12-2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old
02-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
San Jose already has two top-line centers in Thornton and Marleau. As much as some fans feel Marleau should move to the wing, Sharks management has repeatedly both stated and proven that they will not do this, so this proposal makes no sense at all for the Sharks.

Old
02-12-2006, 03:13 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

san jose would do that in a second, but florida would laugh in their face.

Old
02-12-2006, 04:31 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

strange proposal...first of all San Jose already has Thornton and Marleau they don't need to rent a Center.

Secondly if Florida is going to move Jokinen they will want some combination of young players/prospects/picks. They don't need someone elses UFAs.

San Jose needs to figure out whether they are a legitimate playoff team this year before they give up the type of assets it would take to rent a player like Jokinen (even though Jokinen does not fit a team need). Look at the Weight trade. Florida would want a first round pick and prospects for Jokinen.

Old
02-12-2006, 11:45 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Wouldn't happen, but what's interesting is McCauley was taught by Jacques Martin when Alyn was a kid, he was a student of his hockey camps.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:34 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

no reason for this trade to happen...FLA can do a lot better

I assume this is coming from a SJ fan who is getting a bit greedy after getting Thronton for so little....Just be content that you already stole one top C, while other teams' fans are still asking the question, "what in the world was BOS thinking??!?!?!??"

Old
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Jakethesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Florida would want a first round pick and prospects for Jokinen.
Proven NHL players would actually be preferred.

We have been trading for picks and prospects for how long?? 6 years??

Old
02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

how about nabokov for jokinen? florida gets a goalie who's signed to a long term contract, and they can deal luongo to another team for a nice return. sharks rid themselves of a big contract and can play jokinen on the wing with marleau, giving them 2 fantastic scoring lines (and the top 3 picks from the 97 draft), and they can start toskala who has earned a shot at the #1 spot, imo.

maybe it's idiotic for the sharks to deal a player they just signed for a UFA, but i didn't like that contract at all. and maybe there's something the sharks can add in there to get luongo back to, just so they can have the top 4 picks from that draft.

no? well, it was just a thought.

Old
02-13-2006, 12:21 AM
senfan266

if you're going to do that then why not trade nabokov and marleau to florida for luongo and jokinen.

Old
02-13-2006, 12:33 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by senfan266
if you're going to do that then why not trade nabokov and marleau to florida for luongo and jokinen.
and i thought my deal was a joke. marleau, signed for 2 more years. nabokov, signed for 4 more. jokinen and luongo both UFAs. now that just ain't right.

and it ruins the whole "top 4 picks" thing i was going for.

Old
02-13-2006, 01:40 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbanSOG
and i thought my deal was a joke. marleau, signed for 2 more years. nabokov, signed for 4 more. jokinen and luongo both UFAs. now that just ain't right.
Luongo is a RFA.

Old
02-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

There's no way I'd trade Toskala for another center. Keep Vesa. Maybe trade Nabokov, but not Toskala, we need a PP QB, and we might be able to find that in-house (Erhoff). Jokinen would either play the wing or be a 3rd line center, well he'd play the wing, and our top 2 lines are filled well right now.

Old
02-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Henne

Yeah, the Sharks don't need a center...

But I'd do that deal in a heartbeat (the original deal that is.)

Old
02-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Randall Graves*

this trade makes no sense on too many levels...

Closed Thread