HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: City of St Louis suing NFL, teams over relocation of Rams

Old
04-13-2017, 12:51 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT: City of St Louis suing NFL, teams over relocation of Rams

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...relocation-la/

Quote:
The lawsuit filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court also names the NFLís 32 teams as defendants and seeks unspecified damages and restitution.

The lawsuit alleges the Rams failed to meet league relocation rules when leaving for Los Angeles before last season, constituting a contractual breach with St. Louis.
The lawsuit alleges that St. Louis has lost an estimated $1.85 million to $3.5 million each year in amusement and ticket tax collections, as well as roughly $7.5 million in property taxes. In total, the city will have lost more than $100 million in net proceeds.
Chunk o' change.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 01:06 AM
PiggySmalls
#2 in YEO's office

vCash: 104
The suit is some good posturing if the Jets Owner accepts the offer from the Anheuser Busch family. It has been reported if the sale does go through they will apply to relocate the Jets to STL. The plaintiffs can make a deal with the NFL to drop the suit if the other owners approve the relocation.

PiggySmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 01:16 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggySmalls View Post
The suit is some good posturing if the Jets Owner accepts the offer from the Anheuser Busch family. It has been reported if the sale does go through they will apply to relocate the Jets to STL. The plaintiffs can make a deal with the NFL to drop the suit if the other owners approve the relocation.
I don't see Woody Johnson SELLING the Jets or into the Edward Jones Dome, after the Rams scenario, wasn't St. Louis very similar in status to Kansas City that no more NFL, and isn't this the same city that the Bidwells burned for Glendale....

Sprint Center to the EJ Dome IS AS EQUIVALENT to zero, as we're going to get, St. Louis could've sued immediately after letting the Rams go...

the mayor said as much in both cities, that's why you'll never see basketball or the NHL in downtown KC, nor the NFL.

AB, IS NO longer a US OWNED COMPANY, much like Chrysler is owned by Fiat, it's owned by a comglomerate called InBev.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 01:40 AM
PiggySmalls
#2 in YEO's office

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I don't see Woody Johnson SELLING the Jets or into the Edward Jones Dome, after the Rams scenario, wasn't St. Louis very similar in status to Kansas City that no more NFL, and isn't this the same city that the Bidwells burned for Glendale....

Sprint Center to the EJ Dome IS AS EQUIVALENT to zero, as we're going to get, St. Louis could've sued immediately after letting the Rams go...

the mayor said as much in both cities, that's why you'll never see basketball or the NHL in downtown KC, nor the NFL.

AB, IS NO longer a US OWNED COMPANY, much like Chrysler is owned by Fiat, it's owned by a comglomerate called InBev.
Cardinals football did leave STL because the city wouldn't build a new stadium just for them. The city saw it as a team that was so terrible it only played 3 playoff games in 22 seasons, 0 home playoff games. The offer to the Jets was by the Anheuser-Busch family, not the company. Do I think it is a long shot for the NFL to return to STL. Absolutely. But I'm just going off what was reported by local media.

I think the City was smart to hold off on litigation against the NFL. Since the Rams moved, many statements haste been made to NFL & LA reporters about the plan all along was to go back to LA. Thus giving STL more traction for their lawsuit.

PiggySmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 03:12 AM
Bucky_Hoyt

Quote:
Cardinals football did leave STL because the city wouldn't build a new stadium just for them. The city saw it as a team that was so terrible it only played 3 playoff games in 22 seasons, 0 home playoff games. The offer to the Jets was by the Anheuser-Busch family, not the company. Do I think it is a long shot for the NFL to return to STL. Absolutely. But I'm just going off what was reported by local media.

I think the City was smart to hold off on litigation against the NFL. Since the Rams moved, many statements haste been made to NFL & LA reporters about the plan all along was to go back to LA. Thus giving STL more traction for their lawsuit.
How about Jacksonville? Yes they have an owner but isn't the franchise hemmoraging cash?

Either SD or STL I would imagine would get the next relocated team.

Bucky_Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 05:48 AM
varano

Quote:
Gary Vaynerchuk buys the jets to keep them where they are before they ever get moved

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Voight
#winning

vCash: 520
Quote:
NFL will not let the Jets relocate.

Quote:

& because they will make a lot more money in LA. Also because thats where they belong, and would've stayed if not for the selfish Ms Georgia.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 10:02 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky_Hoyt View Post
How about Jacksonville? Yes they have an owner but isn't the franchise hemmoraging cash?

Either SD or STL I would imagine would get the next relocated team.
SD is with the Rams now, despite the temporary deal w/ Carson, CA (Stubhub Center/LA Galaxy), Bucky, remember the Q needs to be replaced by a Mission Valley stadium, but the Chargers, were born in LA, BEFORE shifting to SD in 1961, and the Rams were the predecessor to the Browns/Ravens,and the current Browns franchise...

I just think St. Louis isn't going to win this suit, and I don't see the Busch family wanting to add football on top of the legacy the baseball Cardinals and their stadium are, with the Blues a distant 2nd, despite their 50 year history.

why would Jacksonville BE ABANDONED after how hard Wayne Weaver lobbied to put them as a destination city, where the Jauguars are the only game in town out of the 4 major sports, despite Khan buying them.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Jerzey Devil

Jacksonville is college football territory. They don't care about the Jags. Jacksonville is too spread out for people to want to come to the games.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 10:22 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Jacksonville is college football territory. They don't care about the Jags. Jacksonville is too spread out for people to want to come to the games.
uh, if the College Bowl game they hold disappeared, explain what makes Jacksonville a viable market for a pro sports league, of the 4 major leagues, and why is it only the NFL is represented there?

Old
04-13-2017, 10:55 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
The lawsuit alleges the Rams failed to meet league relocation rules when leaving for Los Angeles before last season, constituting a contractual breach with St. Louis.
I'm curious what contract between St Louis and the Rams/NFL was breached, and how? By all accounts the Rams were on a year to year lease, so they had no contractual obligation to stay. I can't imagine how the NFL would have any legal obligation to the city to enforce any relocation rules absent a lease or other contract?

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
It's not the 1950's. No major league is going to let a New York team relocate to just about anywhere. Even being second fiddle in that market has more capital potential than being the top dog in most current cities with a team and especially more than any market without a team.

Just more of a face-saving move by St. Louis. They've got to figure that the odds of getting an NFL team in the forseeable future is relatively slim, so might was well try to get some change and score some easy political points back home.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
uh, if the College Bowl game they hold disappeared, explain what makes Jacksonville a viable market for a pro sports league, of the 4 major leagues, and why is it only the NFL is represented there?
I think the jags are proving that Jacksonville isn't a professional sports market.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voight View Post
NFL will not let the Jets relocate.

& because they will make a lot more money in LA. Also because thats where they belong, and would've stayed if not for the selfish Ms Georgia.
True.

Here's the problem: The is the second time in 30 years that the NFL said St. Louis was not a viable market. What will the lawsuit say to prove otherwise?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:20 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Just can't see the Jets leaving the largest U.S. market for St. Louis.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Dirty Old Man
And yet, we remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Well, good to know hockey isn't the only sport on here for people claiming to be experts of geographic regions they really don't know much about. Sheeesh.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:29 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Found the lawsuit. The legal arguments look a little thin to me:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...2254f1.pdf.pdf
Quote:
47. The NFL Relocation Policy promulgated pursuant to the Constitution and Bylaws constitutes a binding, enforceable contract.

48. The RSA, the City, and the County are third party beneficiaries to that contract. The NFL and the owners/franchises, including the Rams, intended to benefit the RSA, the City, and the County via the Constitution and Bylaws and policies promulgated thereto. The intent of the Relocation Policy was to establish standards and procedures for relocation decisions. The Policy limits subjective decision-making, and many of the adopted standards are designed to protect the interests and investments of home communities. The goal of the Relocation Policy is to limit when a team can relocate, and those limits therefore benefit the home community.
Does an NFL policy really constitute a legally binding enforceable contract? And even if it did, is St Louis really a third party beneficiary?

I would argue the historical creation of the Relocation Policy was directly a result of the Raiders lawsuit. Where the league needed to develop and apply a set of standards before it could block a team from moving, not that the league had an obligation to block teams from moving. There could be owner anti-trust suits available if the league applied the relocation rules unequally to different owners, but I still don't see the argument that St Louis is a 3rd party beneficiary with legal standing.

Quote:
49. In addition, via the Constitution and Bylaws and policies promulgated thereto, the Rams assumed direct obligations to the RSA and other third parties, including, but not limited to, the obligation to work diligently and in good faith to obtain and maintain suitable facilities in the Rams’s home territory, and to operate in a manner that maximizes fan support in the Rams’s current home community. The statement that, “clubs are obligated to work diligently and in good faith to obtain and maintain suitable stadium facilities in their home territories and to operate in a manner that maximizes fan support in their current home community” is a provision that by its terms is intended to benefit home communities such as Plaintiffs herein.
St Louis has a valid point that the Rams do not have appeared to have acted in good faith. It still raises the question what legal obligation did the Rams have to St Louis to act in good faith? In this quote here again St Louis assets the legal obligation comes as a result of the NFL Constitution/ByLaws that St Louis is not a party to.

The argument would be a lot stronger if the lawsuit were citing a contract between St Louis and the Rams or NFL where the Rams/NFL did not act in good faith.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Davimir Tarablad

vCash: 300
With how much the St. Louis area has soured on the NFL, bringing another team in wouldn't be a smart idea.

However, a recent stadium funding proposal for a MLS stadium was voted down by the city residents. If the city wins the lawsuit, the money could very feasibly be put towards that.

Davimir Tarablad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I find it a little funny that a city that got a team by relocation would be suing the NFL because that same team went back to their original location (and where they rightfully belong).

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
Can the NFL Counter sue St Louis for damages to reputation by these false public claims?

Just a petty political stunt by St Louis and they should be held accountable financially for wasting courts time

Also can St Louis past history of stealing franchises be held against them? They did rob South Side of Chicago of the Cardinals and stole Rams from LA

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
My initial reaction is to scoff at this, but I've been proven wrong before.

Even if this is league policy, an outside entity cannot sue to make a league follow that policy.

ahh the things we learn in the Phoenix megathreads.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 01:14 PM
tony d
BMO

Heard about this, very interesting. I also didn't know that about the Jets. Very unlikely though that the Jets ever move out of New York though.

04-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Old Man View Post
Well, good to know hockey isn't the only sport on here for people claiming to be experts of geographic regions they really don't know much about. Sheeesh.
Really?

This isn't hockey we're talking about. The is America's number 1 sport. I think people would not be saying anything if there was a problem.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Old Man View Post
I lived there for like 10 years.

Old
04-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 20000000
St Louis Post Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...3f89948d9.html

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote