HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Old
04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
aqib

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
OVG will be asking for ownership equity in the 2 teams too.

If I heard his last interview correctly, Hansen would have the NHL be part of the arena ownership group, so if that is the case, then they would get a percentage of the revenues too
Isn't OVG tied in with MSG? Wouldn't that preclude them getting stakes in the teams?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:47 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Isn't OVG tied in with MSG? Wouldn't that preclude them getting stakes in the teams?
I doubt OVG is going to be majority owners of the NBA team. Maybe minority owners of some share at most.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:03 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
The settlement between Seattle and the owners of the Thunder:

IOW, the team name, colors, and logos all can go back to Seattle if an expansion team is founded there to play in a renovated Key Arena. The team history for the purpose of recordkeeping will remain in OKC, because the 5 year limit has passed. It's not clear to me whether the 5 year limit applies to the trophies, banners, and retired numbers, because of how it's separated out; I presume the new owner would be able to get those back, since it's in its own paragraph. Also, they're already in Seattle, so I can't imagine OKC would care that much.

The catch here is that all of this applies specifically to an expansion team in a renovated arena. SoDo might have an awkward hurdle there; they could conceivably build their arena, get the league to agree to give them a team... then have Bennett be a spiteful d*** and say that since SoDo isn't a renovated KeyArena, they won't give them the rights to the name, logo, and colors.
Seattle owns the rights to name logo and colors. Its the history that in question of if we fully get it back or not.

Old
04-17-2017, 03:25 PM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Seattle owns the rights to name logo and colors. Its the history that in question of if we fully get it back or not.
Is there an addendum or revision to the agreement I posted above? I'd love to see it, if there is.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:41 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
Is there an addendum or revision to the agreement I posted above? I'd love to see it, if there is.
Its been the same since 08.

The team name logo and colors isn't going to be a problem what so ever. Its the team history that's in question.

If Seattle gets a NBA team again they will be the Seattle SuperSonics.

Even the RFP specifics Sonics.

Old
04-17-2017, 06:58 PM
j1012

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Ernie

From the article:

Quote:
Hansen's vacation petition is in process. The project's website, SonicsArena.com, notes that it is seeking "a waiver of the city's admissions tax and an adjustment of the city's B&O tax for revenue generated out of town".

What qualifies as "out of town" here? Any tickets sold to people to don't live in Seattle proper, which makes up only about 20% of the regional population? That would be a bad precedent to set.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:46 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
From the article:

What qualifies as "out of town" here? Any tickets sold to people to don't live in Seattle proper, which makes up only about 20% of the regional population? That would be a bad precedent to set.
I am reading the specific post on SonicsArena, here it is:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/article/moving-forward

To tell you the truth, I'm not too sure. I'm guessing that they're going to try to set it up such that revenue generated by fans/companies located outside of Seattle wouldn't be taxable income. I'll take this over to the Sonics Rising forum and ask there and get you an answer, because this is a good question.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:13 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

So we have a potential complication in the KeyArena plans to report:

Old
04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Melrose Munch

Seattle doing retreads, because people are not happy with Murray.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:46 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Seattle doing retreads, because people are not happy with Murray.
Well, yeah. I will caution you though and note that there's still a few weeks left for people to file for this seat. That said, though, I doubt now you're going to see additional candidates of this stature enter the race as they'll have to battle for money and endorsements, which are not going to be easy to get.

And it's not that people aren't happy with this mayor, either. Rather, it's all about his legal problems which seem to be permeating the discussion on this arena issue and I'm sure others as well right now in Seattle.

Old
04-19-2017, 04:37 AM
j1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
So we have a potential complication in the KeyArena plans to report:

According to the Seattle PI, any construction at the Key will have to wait until after 2019 event.

In addition, there was miscommunications between groups within the city government when they bidded on the NCAA games .

http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/colleg...g-11081354.php

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Well, yeah. I will caution you though and note that there's still a few weeks left for people to file for this seat. That said, though, I doubt now you're going to see additional candidates of this stature enter the race as they'll have to battle for money and endorsements, which are not going to be easy to get.

And it's not that people aren't happy with this mayor, either. Rather, it's all about his legal problems which seem to be permeating the discussion on this arena issue and I'm sure others as well right now in Seattle.
Quote:
According to the Seattle PI, any construction at the Key will have to wait until after 2019 event.

In addition, there was miscommunications between groups within the city government when they bidded on the NCAA games .

Well hopefully McGinn wins so Sodo can happen and end this.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:27 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Well hopefully McGinn wins so Sodo can happen and end this.
We will certainly see. Speaking of the mayor's race, McGinn and Murray now have another candidate to deal with:

Old
04-19-2017, 04:34 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
The fact is they'll have "traffic" no matter what.... is it just me or is this conversation about traffic INSANE?
I don't think the obstacle is traffic itself - it's that residents of SLU/Queen Anne/etc are opposed to how pro sports in their area will impact the community, particularly from a traffic perspective. Nothing insane about that, and I understand that's what civic representatives are trying to work around and resolve. I wouldn't want a major arena dropped next door without major investments in managing the negative impacts of the arena, either. Especially if I lived in an area that has already experienced development that has excessively outpaced infrastructural capacity. That area has utterly exploded.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:50 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
We will certainly see. Speaking of the mayor's race, McGinn and Murray now have another candidate to deal with:

I don't think she has a shot.

Old
04-19-2017, 04:51 PM
gstommylee

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...ownership.html

Quote:
With the NBA not planning to expand anytime soon and no teams for sale, it’s a good bet that if Seattle does land a winter sports franchise it will be a National Hockey League team.

Wally Walker, an investor in the proposed 20,000-seat Sodo arena, on Saturday said his group, ArenaCo, is talking to would-be hockey team owners.

"There have been a number of them. Until recently I would characterize them as none being very real. They were with what a former commissioner used to call tire kickers – people enamored with the idea of owning a team but who really don’t have the wherewithal," said Walker, a former Seattle SuperSonic player and front office executive.

Old
04-19-2017, 06:49 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:

Is this for real ?

If it's the case, I feel ya Seattle hockey fans, neither we in Quebec nor you in Seattle are getting a team anytime soon.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Get off my obstacle!

Yeesh!

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:23 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Is this for real ?

If it's the case, I feel ya Seattle hockey fans, neither we in Quebec nor you in Seattle are getting a team anytime soon.
That's assuming Key arena plan gets picked.

Old
04-19-2017, 08:01 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Yeesh!

Non-news story. Those in the know who are paying the closest attention to this aren't concerned, as this is a continuation of the existing league posture. Check back in about six months though and ask that question again.......

What Tommy posted though is newsworthy, and perhaps among the possible suitors Hansen and crew have talked to might be a certain crew from Arizona......?????

That story is behind a paywall FYI so I myself haven't seen the piece.

Old
04-19-2017, 08:02 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Is this for real ?

It is, but Tommy is correct, this problem is provided a Key option is selected which is far from a sure thing even though it looks on its face now that it will be.....

Old
04-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Slashers98

More delays regarding Key Arena.

Proposed KeyArena renovation timeline likely pushed back a year

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
.... well, if Garys' holding out hope for a timely move of the Coyotes to Seattle that light bulb just grew a lot dimmer. Unbelievable.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... well, if Garys' holding out hope for a timely move of the Coyotes to Seattle that light bulb just grew a lot dimmer. Unbelievable.
The NHL...Never-ending Headache League...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote