HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2017, 03:06 PM
  #101
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
I would say the MSG Bid is the lead horse in this race as well


Remember that Liewickie brother was a excutive with the Seahawks as well . I think his name is Tim.


Dolan Money and Jacobs with the food rights. says NHL is a 100% for sure if they get the bid
That is the Oak View Group. If either Oakview or AEG is selected then arena will not be ready for NHL/NBA until 2021 season at the earliest.

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 03:38 PM
  #102
tank44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: Canada
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Best summary I've read so far.

This is really messy. Don't know why there are so many SoDo boosters on this forum when there are so many issues to work out with the bid. KeyArena seems pretty straight forward by comparison.
Baker's recent podcast went over this over and over again. Criticizing Hansen for not publicly showing all his cards and business plans whereas the RFPs at Key had all that information public. RFP with Seattle has to be public. Hansen is all private and doesn't need to make anything public. Baker is speculating that since nothing is advertised that nothing is viable.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 03:40 PM
  #103
canuckfan75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
2021 Perfect Timing.

The league will be in a lock out till January 20 , 2021. and then the new CBA.

expansion team in the fall of 2021 in Seattle & Olympics in China.


Don Levin as the owner. there you go.

Jac Sperling is also a bit

canuckfan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 03:42 PM
  #104
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
I would say the MSG Bid is the lead horse in this race as well


Remember that Liewickie brother was a excutive with the Seahawks as well . I think his name is Tim.


Dolan Money and Jacobs with the food rights. says NHL is a 100% for sure if they get the bid
Wrong Leiweke. That was Tod who ran the Seahawks, and I'm not sure if he's mixed up in any way with the current deal involving his brother and Oak View. I would also agree BTW that of the two Key plans, OVG is by far the leader in the clubhouse at this point.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 03:48 PM
  #105
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Get off my obstacle!
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
I would say the MSG Bid is the lead horse in this race as well


Remember that Liewickie brother was a excutive with the Seahawks as well . I think his name is Tim.


Dolan Money and Jacobs with the food rights. says NHL is a 100% for sure if they get the bid
Tod...

and I would probably boast the NHL influence is on the latter, not the former.

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 04:33 PM
  #106
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
Baker's recent podcast went over this over and over again. Criticizing Hansen for not publicly showing all his cards and business plans whereas the RFPs at Key had all that information public. RFP with Seattle has to be public. Hansen is all private and doesn't need to make anything public. Baker is speculating that since nothing is advertised that nothing is viable.
I think Hansen will probably have to show proof of finances for the building to the city, now that there is a competition for arenas.

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 08:23 PM
  #107
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
Baker's recent podcast went over this over and over again. Criticizing Hansen for not publicly showing all his cards and business plans whereas the RFPs at Key had all that information public. RFP with Seattle has to be public. Hansen is all private and doesn't need to make anything public. Baker is speculating that since nothing is advertised that nothing is viable.
Sadly, Baker has become nothing but a paid troll.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 11:22 PM
  #108
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
Sadly, Baker has become nothing but a paid troll.
The good trolls know how to target.

Point is: Victor Coleman WAS with Chris Hansen, now he's not. The money in Hansen's is in question and Hansen never really made a secret of it. What of the possibility Hansen tries a bait and switch in regards to street vacation? If not that, he's not a con man per se, just someone with a dream and some mistaken ideas about how to get there.

The ideal is that Hansen sells that property to the amalgamation of OVG and SP and things get going... but it's a fair bet it's not the city council's ideal.

BTW, those of you saying that the parties in SoDo could come to an amicable agreement have obviously not dealt with Vulcan. Paul Allen probably started out that way when he first bought the Blazers, but that's not how he rolls these days.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:44 AM
  #109
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67
 
nwhockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post

BTW, those of you saying that the parties in SoDo could come to an amicable agreement have obviously not dealt with Vulcan. Paul Allen probably started out that way when he first bought the Blazers, but that's not how he rolls these days.
The scheduling agreement with all parties in Sodo is the least of Hansen's concerns at present and will not be what keeps an arena from being built there. If it is determined that Key will not work and Sodo will, a big if, then I am sure that something will be worked out. Paul Allen is smart enough to not stand in the way of a Sonics return, if that is what you are suggesting, especially when it will have no effect on his interests.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:14 AM
  #110
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhockeyfan View Post
The scheduling agreement with all parties in Sodo is the least of Hansen's concerns at present and will not be what keeps an arena from being built there. If it is determined that Key will not work and Sodo will, a big if, then I am sure that something will be worked out. Paul Allen is smart enough to not stand in the way of a Sonics return, if that is what you are suggesting, especially when it will have no effect on his interests.
No, I'm pretty sure Allen would find a new Sonics beneficial... just that his interests don't end up in conflict with a new arena very near the Clink. He probably knows plenty about Hansen by now, too. Also, between Microsoft, the Seahawks, EMP, UW donations, and the Lake Union project... it's not like Allen lacks influence.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 03:43 AM
  #111
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67
 
nwhockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
No, I'm pretty sure Allen would find a new Sonics beneficial... just that his interests don't end up in conflict with a new arena very near the Clink. He probably knows plenty about Hansen by now, too. Also, between Microsoft, the Seahawks, EMP, UW donations, and the Lake Union project... it's not like Allen lacks influence.
http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/s...ment/157937523

This was reported just before the street vacation vote last year and was a requirement by SCC before a vote would even be held, as I recall. The more recent article states that the agreement hasn't become "binding" which is what the Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders would want.

That vote fell short by one at the last minute, with not a single word from any of the parties denying the report, as the vote took place. The fact that Hansen did not pursue it further to a" binding" contract is a direct result of the no vote. He was in no position to pursue it.

If it comes down to Sodo I see absolutely no reason for anything to be different as it pertains to scheduling. To suggest otherwise, as the Times did, is to try to sway public opinion towards Key. It would be foolish for any other sports team in the area to not work toward an agreement, if and only if, Sodo becomes the apparent choice as I stated.

I really find it hard to believe that Allen would use any of his influence once it came down to a scheduling agreement for anything but what he apparently already agreed to.


Last edited by nwhockeyfan; 04-25-2017 at 04:08 AM..
nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 08:39 AM
  #112
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 10:03 AM
  #113
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
This is really messy. Don't know why there are so many SoDo boosters on this forum when there are so many issues to work out with the bid. KeyArena seems pretty straight forward by comparison.
Maybe because no matter how you put it, renovated KeyArena may not be as attractive as a brand new arena, up to standards and with latest technology involved, and you could call the new arena what ever the name you would like...currently it's known as Sodo.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 10:21 AM
  #114
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Maybe because no matter how you put it, renovated KeyArena may not be as attractive as a brand new arena, up to standards and with latest technology involved, and you could call the new arena what ever the name you would like...currently it's known as Sodo.

and it will be an extra 4 years before it could be ready... Sodo could be done in 2 years from now and Key could be use as a temp facility.

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 11:43 AM
  #115
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 500
Does anyone actually believe that Sodo could be ready in 2 years? I'd be surprised if there was a shovel in the ground in two years, even if Hansen could sort out his issues with city council in the immediate future.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:20 PM
  #116
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67
 
nwhockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Does anyone actually believe that Sodo could be ready in 2 years? I'd be surprised if there was a shovel in the ground in two years, even if Hansen could sort out his issues with city council in the immediate future.
It is possible, yes, as opposed to any Key option which is probably 4 or 5 years at least given Key obligations with the NCAA in 2019 or whenever it is.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  #117
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Does anyone actually believe that Sodo could be ready in 2 years? I'd be surprised if there was a shovel in the ground in two years, even if Hansen could sort out his issues with city council in the immediate future.
Key and Sodo are both even when it comes to ''how soon could the shovels start digging'' so there is no argumentation there.

As others pointed out, in the end, one can be build much faster because it's start from scratch.

Key is historical and the city wants the statuts to remain, especially about the roof. Ask anyone involved in construction what do they think about renovating historical landmarks (obviously the title increases cost by 150%).

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:47 PM
  #118
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Key and Sodo are both even when it comes to ''how soon could the shovels start digging'' so there is no argumentation there.

As others pointed out, in the end, one can be build much faster because it's start from scratch.

Key is historical and the city wants the statuts to remain, especially about the roof. Ask anyone involved in construction what do they think about renovating historical landmarks (obviously the title increases cost by 150%).
And this is partly why the bidders there were asked to submit two proposals - one if the roof were designated a historical landmark, one if it wasn't.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 03:23 PM
  #119
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Key and Sodo are both even when it comes to ''how soon could the shovels start digging'' so there is no argumentation there.

As others pointed out, in the end, one can be build much faster because it's start from scratch.

Key is historical and the city wants the statuts to remain, especially about the roof. Ask anyone involved in construction what do they think about renovating historical landmarks (obviously the title increases cost by 150%).
Correct but that COULD be offset with tax credits.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 03:54 PM
  #120
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
http://washingtonstatewire.com/bring...-back-seattle/

Wally Walker, one of Hansen's investors on the SoDo project, has sent out this op-ed that I'm guessing will be in newspapers statewide, I think this wire service that this comes from is for newspapers around the state. Anyway, he's suggesting the arena could bring in over $100 million for education here in Washington, and that is a BIG deal right now down in Olympia........

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 05:33 AM
  #121
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
Here is link to yesterday's interview

https://www.iheart.com/show/27882152...&cmp=web_share

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:43 AM
  #122
jbron
Registered User
 
jbron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Listened to Leiweke and came away impressed. He certainly has the
resume and credibility. He's a very good polished salesman, much more than Hansen.

1. I support the SODO project. Its a better location and would rather
have a new facility. Traffic in and out of Mercer could be nightmare.
Yes, Leiweke says that they believe people will work and stay
downtown, but what about those from the eastside?
2. A remodeled Key is more likely to run into delays than a new arena
in SODO. Oak View wants to dig down at the present location.
3. It will be hard for City Council not to push the Key /Oak View
project. The city will keep an asset. They will have an up to date
arena for concerts and sports. If SODO is built, Key is useless.
Dolan has big pockets and Oak View has connections for concerts.
The city would contribute little to the Oak View project.
4. Leiweke made in crystal clear that the NHL would come first. That
alone is really powerful for me. We all know that in Seattle it's
NBA first. All involved are pushing for an arena that can house
NBA and NHL, but Leiweke was very convincing about the NHL.
5. Leiweke's ( Oak View) bid for the Key project is a good thing.
Its good for the NHL and for Seattle. Between Oak View and SODO
the city will be forced to choose and while SODO is better for fans,
Oak View is easier for the city to approve.

jbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
  #123
j1012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbron View Post
Listened to Leiweke and came away impressed. He certainly has the
resume and credibility. He's a very good polished salesman, much more than Hansen.

1. I support the SODO project. Its a better location and would rather
have a new facility. Traffic in and out of Mercer could be nightmare.
Yes, Leiweke says that they believe people will work and stay
downtown, but what about those from the eastside?
2. A remodeled Key is more likely to run into delays than a new arena
in SODO. Oak View wants to dig down at the present location.
3. It will be hard for City Council not to push the Key /Oak View
project. The city will keep an asset. They will have an up to date
arena for concerts and sports. If SODO is built, Key is useless.
Dolan has big pockets and Oak View has connections for concerts.
The city would contribute little to the Oak View project.
4. Leiweke made in crystal clear that the NHL would come first. That
alone is really powerful for me. We all know that in Seattle it's
NBA first. All involved are pushing for an arena that can house
NBA and NHL, but Leiweke was very convincing about the NHL.
5. Leiweke's ( Oak View) bid for the Key project is a good thing.
Its good for the NHL and for Seattle. Between Oak View and SODO
the city will be forced to choose and while SODO is better for fans,
Oak View is easier for the city to approve.
I believe that Gary Bettman's finger prints may have been involved in one or both of these proposals, just a gut feeling

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:53 PM
  #124
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
I believe that Gary Bettman's finger prints may have been involved in one or both of these proposals, just a gut feeling
... ditto on that.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM
  #125
Lieutenant Bookman
Registered User
 
Lieutenant Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Not related to the arena itself, but more out of genuine curiosity; for the Seattle area guys in here, if Seattle gets an NHL team, will you support the new team or keep your old team? This of course is assuming you have an existing NHL allegiance, as I know a few do

Lieutenant Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.