HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Matthews vs. Eichel - Which C would you build your team around?

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Evincar
I have found the way

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman17 View Post
Is Eichel a coach and GM Killer?
Crosby got his coach fired twice during the season and the Pens went on to win the Cup both times. Whatever works.

Old
04-21-2017, 06:47 AM
Garthinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuo View Post
Eichel has just muchh more offensive upside so i go with him.
Can you prove Eichel has a much higher offensive upside? Most of the people choosing jack use those exact words but can't seem to back them up with anything intelligent.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
TheBigThree

matthews because he's humble but a fierce competitor at the same time. He always praises his teammates, never said anything bad about anyone but himself. I rather build around a natural team leader.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
Can you prove Eichel has a much higher offensive upside? Most of the people choosing jack use those exact words but can't seem to back them up with anything intelligent.
You can't even back it up with previous seasons. Matthews has literally outscored Eichel at every level of hockey.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
WJZ3
Enzo Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
You can't even back it up with previous seasons. Matthews has literally outscored Eichel at every level of hockey.
Not this season, Jack Eichel had a higher point per game

Old
04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJZ3 View Post
Eichel has 8 more goals in 60 more games played. Everyone knows goals>assists. Too bad Eichel can't put the puck in the net anywhere near the proficiency level of Mathews.

Plus Mathews has a couple of Playoff goals.. So he has NHL playoff experience which Eichel is missing.

Last edited by Confucius: 04-21-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old
04-21-2017, 08:30 AM
my name is Bob

Quote:
Shouldn't you compare rookie season to rookie season?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Lahey

vCash: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
Eichel just does more on the ice. Matthews has a knack for grabbing loose pucks and the ability to get off a ripper everytime he has the puck on his stick. Eichel has those skills as well but so much more. The ability to carry the puck and create plays. Deft passes. A dangerous wrister from anywhere on the ice. His vision is far ahead of Matthews, and everyone knows the best in the league are those with the best vision. His offensive zone IQ and creativity are on another level from Matthews as well.
Flat out wrong. Eichel is a better playmaker and i would agree his vision is better (for now) but Matthews does SOOO MUCH more on both sides of the puck. Do you see Eichel going into corners and doing the dirty work in front of the net, how about Eichels play in his own zone? I'd say Matthews is hands down easily the better overall player when you factor in his 200 ft game compared to the perimeter play of Eichel

Old
04-21-2017, 08:55 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Matthews.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
You said "far better ppg" when in reality there was only a 0.09 ppg difference and that's in a 61 game sample size vs 82. When Matthews was at the 61 gp mark he had 54 points, 3 less then Eichel and that's rookie vs sophomore. And that's just points, face offs aren't even close (38.9 vs 46.8), turnover differential -8 vs +32, etc.

You say it is "pretty easy to predict Eichel will score more, unless your name is Leafs.... anything." When you literally have no argument other then his injury which shortened his sample size by 21 games.

You aren't being very objective in this discussion, I hope you realize that.
This! The only argument I hear form Sabres fans is that "OH HURR DURR HIGHER PPG HURR DURR" meanwhile if you compare rookie seasons Matthews absolutely blows him out of the water. It really isn't close. All we heard was how much further ahead the Sabres were in their rebuild to us blah blah, how bout dat now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropesman View Post
Hard to go wrong with either pick. If i am building a team i want the more complete player, which is Matthews. I think Eichel has the edge when it comes to offensive flare, a little more creativity as well as a bit faster then Auston.

The determining factor for me is the 200ft game, the difference here is a clear step ahead for Matthews where as the offensive difference is negligible. Eichel could very well take larger steps and become a great two way C, but i don't see him as a Selke winner like I do with Matthews.

A Selke level C who can pot you 40+ goals is extremely rare.
This is a really fair assessment. Jack is more creative and has more offensive flare, but when it comes down to it, Matthews does all the little things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogTown06 View Post
Anti-Leafs bias can be really ridiculous in these boards...

For people bringing up PPG I have 2 words... Zach Hyman.
Yep, and as mentioned above, the difference in PPG is only 0.09 lmfao.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Yasuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is Bob View Post
Shouldn't you compare rookie season to rookie season?
By that logic RNH/Mackinnon should both be 80-90 points players right now. Nobody know what will happen next season what we know is that Eichel improved his game in his second season

Old
04-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Lahey

Quote:
By that logic RNH/Mackinnon should both be 80-90 points players right now. Nobody know what will happen next season what we know is that Eichel improved his game in his second season
why does that mean they should be both 80-90 point players lol? That has no relevance to this discussion. Its fair to compare rookie seasons, and as mentioned above Eichel has 8 more goals in 60(!!) more GP but also scored at 0.09% more per game than Matthews this year (hardly a difference tbh). Eichel is also less than 40% on the draws?? Yuck. Love the username tho, #bloodmoonyas

Old
04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Voight
MAGA

vCash: 520
Quote:
Cool, Matthews had more actual points. And he was a big factor in his team going from 30th to the playoffs and now being tied 2-2 with the best team in the league.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
my name is Bob

Quote:
What? We're talking about comparing past, not projecting futures.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
CSKA fan saying Matthews easily

Old
04-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is Bob View Post
What? We're talking about comparing past, not projecting futures.
Yeah I really have no idea what RNH or Mac had to do with this lmfao

Old
04-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Dart Guy
Rookie User

The Buffalo spin machine can go into overdrive all they want but the answer is Matthews and it's really a no brainer.

Old
04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
81818o8

I've said it before. Matthews came into the league very very mature, both on and off the ice. Playing in a men's league really showed in how smooth his transition to the NHL was. Eichel came out of college. He was a more emotional and less mature kid than Matthews was, and it showed on the ice. Eichel's physical skills allowed him to easily dominate growing up, and his challenge was consistency. This season, around the beginning of February, something clicked and he was one of the best players in the NHL for two months, contributing at both ends and finally showing consistency from game to game.

It can easily be argued that Eichel has more room to grow than Matthews. He has more pure dynamic game changing talent, but lacks the little details in his game that Matthews excels at. Matthews, for me, is an incredible player. The way he operates in tight spaces and seemingly always makes the right play is astounding. He's just so good at these things that for me it's hard to imagine him being significantly better next year. Eichel meanwhile has freakish physical skills but his level of engagement isn't yet what it could be, although he made big strides this year. If he can shore up the details of his game and continue to get more consistent he has the potential to be the better player. That's the case for Jack, right now though I think Matthews deserves the crown after his rookie year.

Old
04-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Elum

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogTown06 View Post
Anti-Leafs bias can be really ridiculous in these boards...

For people bringing up PPG I have 2 words... Zach Hyman.
Eichel played with Foligno a lot this year..who put up less points than Hyman.

Old
04-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Asiantuntija

Eichel and simply because he has more potential for Stanley Cup.

Old
04-21-2017, 01:51 PM
BetterOffWithFedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiantuntija View Post
Eichel and simply because he has more potential for Stanley Cup.
pretty tough to argue with such a worthless analysis

Old
04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterOffWithFedorov View Post
pretty tough to argue with such a worthless analysis
He's a Laine supporter.. Nuff said

Old
04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81818o8 View Post
I've said it before. Matthews came into the league very very mature, both on and off the ice. Playing in a men's league really showed in how smooth his transition to the NHL was. Eichel came out of college. He was a more emotional and less mature kid than Matthews was, and it showed on the ice. Eichel's physical skills allowed him to easily dominate growing up, and his challenge was consistency. This season, around the beginning of February, something clicked and he was one of the best players in the NHL for two months, contributing at both ends and finally showing consistency from game to game.

It can easily be argued that Eichel has more room to grow than Matthews. He has more pure dynamic game changing talent, but lacks the little details in his game that Matthews excels at. Matthews, for me, is an incredible player. The way he operates in tight spaces and seemingly always makes the right play is astounding. He's just so good at these things that for me it's hard to imagine him being significantly better next year. Eichel meanwhile has freakish physical skills but his level of engagement isn't yet what it could be, although he made big strides this year. If he can shore up the details of his game and continue to get more consistent he has the potential to be the better player. That's the case for Jack, right now though I think Matthews deserves the crown after his rookie year.
A lot of Leaf fans should read this. Matthews is definitely more polished, while Eichel has more offensive flash to his game. I agree Eichel has more room to grow because of that.

Eichel came into a rookie year not ever playing the length of season like the NHL has. Plus he had to adjust to playing against men. Matthews took care of a lot of that adjustment by playing pro last year.

Eichel has a lot more room to grow his game but Matthews was better/more polished at a younger age. Anyone trying to actually choose one or the other and back it up with stats doesnt understand how different players grow at different rates and needs to take all this into account. Matthews obviously has a great offensive game as well, and Eichel might not mature as much as some sabres fans think he will. Either way at some point people are going to feel dumb going back and reading this thread for being so adamant one way or the other. I think most level headed people knew they were both going to be great but that Matthews was more "ready" after playing pro last year. Scouts dont project who is going to have the better rookie season though, its a long term thing

Wait 5 years before screaming "my guy is better than yours"

Old
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Shad

vCash: 1100
Very close, I'd go with Eichel

Old
04-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
A lot of Leaf fans should read this. Matthews is definitely more polished, while Eichel has more offensive flash to his game. I agree Eichel has more room to grow because of that.

Eichel came into a rookie year not ever playing the length of season like the NHL has. Plus he had to adjust to playing against men. Matthews took care of a lot of that adjustment by playing pro last year.

Eichel has a lot more room to grow his game but Matthews was better/more polished at a younger age. Anyone trying to actually choose one or the other and back it up with stats doesnt understand how different players grow at different rates and needs to take all this into account. Matthews obviously has a great offensive game as well, and Eichel might not mature as much as some sabres fans think he will. Either way at some point people are going to feel dumb going back and reading this thread for being so adamant one way or the other. I think most level headed people knew they were both going to be great but that Matthews was more "ready" after playing pro last year. Scouts dont project who is going to have the better rookie season though, its a long term thing

Wait 5 years before screaming "my guy is better than yours"
.... What I don't understand is why people think Matthews' potential is limited because he is more polished as a rookie.. lmfao. Yeah sure he played in a swiss pro league but that doesn't prepare you for an 82 game NHL regular season, nothing can. I agree that Eichel has a lot of room to grow as a player, but that doesnt mean Matthews can grow just as much. At this point in time specifically, Matthews is the better overall player, however that could obviously change over a long term period.

Closed Thread