HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Matthews vs. Eichel - Which C would you build your team around?

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Snippit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Can you elaborate? I mean the track records speak for themselves. People from the US team said that Jack couldn't carry austons skates to the rink.

What does Crosby etc have to say about eichel?
People from the US team? That quote was from an "unnamed Canadian scout".

I don't know what Crosby has to say about Eichel but I'm not sure it's relevant.

I think Eichel is the better skater with a greater ability to dictate the tempo of the game. I think the only guy more dangerous in the league when they enter the offensive zone is McDavid. Jack has that ability to glide by defenders to the outside after entering the zone and he created a crazy amount of scoring opportunities doing just that.

Matthews definitely had the better rookie season but he was also more NHL-ready than Eichel. Jack's point production took off after the first half of his rookie campaign. Matthews was also on a much better team that scored more goals and generated much more offence...while Jack was the offence for Buffalo.

I think Auston uses his teammates better and like I said before, I think I'd take him by a hair going forward because of his two way game (although Jack is probably the better player at the moment).

Old
04-13-2017, 09:41 PM
MapleLeafsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
At least Eichel hasn't lost a playoff game
At least Matthews can say at least he played in a playoff game before Eichel ever did.

Old
04-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Snippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan75 View Post
At least Matthews can say at least he played in a playoff game before Eichel ever did.
Did you not get that it was a joke or something?

Old
04-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Garthinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I've just watched more Buffalo games, and Eichel has really impressed me with his creativity and just how dynamic he is on the ince.
I'd recommend you watch more of Matthews next season. Having said that I too need to watch more of Eichel. But from my viewings and comparing their points at the same age going back to ~16 (minus Swiss league) Matthews comes out on top. Before the season I heard multiple times Matthews would be lucky to get 56 points, but he ended up with 40 goals and 69 points playing with 2 rookies.
Fwiw Eichel's most common linemates were Reinhart and Kane during his rookie campaign who both had more points than hyman.

Old
04-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Garthinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post

Old
04-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Hogan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers888 View Post
Eichel

I just don't see Matthews taking over games like Eichel does. Except his first game. lol

Eichel is so physically strong and a very fast skater but its his competitive drive that tips the scales for me. Matthews will be the better goal scorer. Or should I say he will score more goals.
You obviously haven't watched many Leafs games. Matthews is constantly the spark for the team. He's huge too. 6'3, 216lbs, great skater, hard to knock off the puck (reminds me alot of Sundin). Matthews is a stud in the defensive zone, finished 3rd in the league in takeaways as a rookie. And he scored 40 goals with rookie wingers all season.

Old
04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
authentic

Matthews for me. Overall he is better, Eichel will likely score more points than him throughout their careers.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:00 PM
biotk

The only reason I watched a lot of Matthews' games this year was because of Eichel's injury, so for had it not been for that I would not have been in a position to evaluate them both fairly. I love Eichel and I think he is the more exciting player of the two. However, there is zero chance I would take Eichel over Matthews to build a team around.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan86 View Post
You obviously haven't watched many Leafs games. Matthews is constantly the spark for the team. He's huge too. 6'3, 216lbs, great skater, hard to knock off the puck (reminds me alot of Sundin). Matthews is a stud in the defensive zone, finished 3rd in the league in takeaways as a rookie. And he scored 40 goals with rookie wingers all season.
So is Eichel a poor skater and easy to knock off the puck? No one's saying Matthews is a bad player, but people get all bent out of shape if others don't agree with their perspective when it comes to Matthews. He can be really strong on the puck and be a really good skater, it doesn't mean Eichel can't be better. Just like Matthews is much better on the boards and controlling the puck in tight spaces. Eichel's speed and ability to maintain control through contact is among the best I've seen in the league. It was said earlier in the thread, look at some of Buffalo's opponents game day threads, probably the biggest surprise to people is just how good he is at protecting the puck through contact. He's not great at stickhandling through it, he's extremely good at shrugging off the contact and using his reach to maintain control and make a play anyways. Maybe you need to watch more Sabres games.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:04 PM
number72

Eichel for sure. Matthew is a level below players like Crosby, Mcdavid and Eichel.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Unbiased

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Eichel for sure. Matthew is a level below players like Crosby, Mcdavid and Eichel.
OH! IM CONVINCED!

Anybody who plays with Hyman and scores 40 goals deserves any praise he can get

Old
04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
MessierII

Honestly too close to call.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:08 PM
GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
Matthews. Better at every level for their entire lives. Outscored Eichel's rookie season by 13 points with an offensive black hole on his line. Not even a question.
Why is it acceptable to the entire HFBoards community for Hyman to be used as an excuse, but Kunitz is not?

Old
04-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Not Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
OH! IM CONVINCED!

Anybody who plays with Hyman and scores 40 goals deserves any praise he can get
Well if he was a better playmaker and wasn't such a puck hog maybe Hyman could have scooped up some points. I mean Eichel got Moulson and Foligno some goals this year, it's not like he was playing with Malkin on his wing.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Not Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOuttaHere View Post
Why is it acceptable to the entire HFBoards community for Hyman to be used as an excuse, but Kunitz is not?
Geography

Old
04-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Haatley
haatley

Eichel and it is a no brainer.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
So is Eichel a poor skater and easy to knock off the puck? No one's saying Matthews is a bad player, but people get all bent out of shape if others don't agree with their perspective when it comes to Matthews. He can be really strong on the puck and be a really good skater, it doesn't mean Eichel can't be better. Just like Matthews is much better on the boards and controlling the puck in tight spaces. Eichel's speed and ability to maintain control through contact is among the best I've seen in the league. It was said earlier in the thread, look at some of Buffalo's opponents game day threads, probably the biggest surprise to people is just how good he is at protecting the puck through contact. He's not great at stickhandling through it, he's extremely good at shrugging off the contact and using his reach to maintain control and make a play anyways. Maybe you need to watch more Sabres games.
Matthews protects the puck better on the boards, Eichel does it better in open ice. Eichel is actually stronger, quicker and more skilled than Matthews. Matthews just has something about his game and two way play where you feel he has that it factor, similar to Toews. They will be close throughout their careers.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Angry Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton02 View Post
Eichel plays a more beautiful style of hockey and will be talked about for generations long after he's gone.

That said, I'd pick Matthews if I wanted to win a Stanley Cup. He just looks like a warrior.
Player has record setting season for one of the most storied franchises in the league. But the other guy's gonna be remembered.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Lari

I'd take Eichel simply because he's the better player.

Or was there more to this question? Build my team how?

Old
04-13-2017, 10:29 PM
RCS

Matthews

Old
04-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Thorton02

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Penguin View Post
Player has record setting season for one of the most storied franchises in the league. But the other guy's gonna be remembered.
Not sure I understand your point. Matthews plays for the Leafs.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:32 PM
NHLsnipers

This needs to be a pole. Its basically Leafs fans vs. Anti-Leaf fans with the occasional unbiased pick every 10 posts.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:33 PM
BetterOffWithFedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Well if he was a better playmaker and wasn't such a puck hog maybe Hyman could have scooped up some points. I mean Eichel got Moulson and Foligno some goals this year, it's not like he was playing with Malkin on his wing.
Why don't you look up how many high danger scoring chances Hyman's had this year and see how many he's converted on

Old
04-13-2017, 10:37 PM
boredmale

All things being equal I probably would take the guy who is a better passer since he will get more out of his teammates

Old
04-13-2017, 10:37 PM
scorvat53

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Matthews protects the puck better on the boards, Eichel does it better in open ice. Eichel is actually stronger, quicker and more skilled than Matthews. Matthews just has something about his game and two way play where you feel he has that it factor, similar to Toews. They will be close throughout their careers.
wow great post

I think eichel reminds me of a young perry, he is built to score goals and create chances. Eichels my early pick for the art ross next year

Closed Thread