HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Matthews vs. Eichel - Which C would you build your team around?

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2017, 10:39 PM
authentic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterOffWithFedorov View Post
Why don't you look up how many high danger scoring chances Hyman's had this year and see how many he's converted on
Matthews is a better playmaker than his 29 assists suggest, but he's not as good as Eichel there.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Lari

If I had both on my team, I'd probably have them on separate lines, with Eichel getting the tougher matchups. Maybe with less talent around him (but it has to be solid defensive talent, and top pair D) because he can make things happen by himself. Matthews gets maybe the playmaking winger + puckmoving D.

Both get around even ice time. Eichel on the halfboard on the PP, Matthews closer to the slot.

Doesn't really answer the question. You kind of do want both, and are happy with either. Eichel is still the better hockey player, in my opinion.

I now kind of want to go back and watch the World Cup games.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Holymakinaw

Matthews.

His mom is way hotter.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:43 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Hate the Leafs.

Matthews.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Garthinater

Okay can anyone who says "Eichel" clarify this for me. Do you think Eichel was always better than Matthews then, or is it something that recently happened?
I'm genuinely curious because, as we all know, Matthews outscored Eichel by a lot during their younger days.

Old
04-13-2017, 10:53 PM
meldelaget

I think its close. Matthews is a better twoway center. Eichel looks like a better scoring center. Toews/Kopitar or Stamkos?

Old
04-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
Okay can anyone who says "Eichel" clarify this for me. Do you think Eichel was always better than Matthews then, or is it something that recently happened?
I'm genuinely curious because, as we all know, Matthews outscored Eichel by a lot during their younger days.
It wasn't by as much as people like to make out. Eichel really broke out in 2013-14, he was always a top tier athlete from what I can tell, but in that 13-14 season he took a huge step at putting it all together. He jumped from 27 points in 12-13 to 45 points in 13-14 for the USNDT then put up 71 points at Boston University. Matthews went from 20 points in 2013-14 with the USNDT to 48 in 14-15, then went pro and put up 46 with ZSC Lions. It wasn't a huge margin, when they were on the same team the same year (2013-14) Eichel had 45 points, Matthews had 48.

Matthews did have great tournaments though, but at the same time you often find people discounting the fact Matthews was a 1c playing behind Eichel in tournaments they played in together. Also tournaments aren't the best way to compare players by age in different years. Opponents change and from year to year there can be huge turnover. Matthews is going to be an elite player for a long time, just like Eichel. This "every comparable level" thing has gone to people's heads though. It's something they hear once and continue to parrot without even looking at the actual numbers it seems a lot of the time. It gets passes from fan to fan until that 3 point difference is all of a sudden a 10 point difference, then 15, then 20 and so on and so on.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
BiPolarBear

I like Eichel more, hockey is also entertainment/art for me, he creates memorable moments even in sad seasons. I think Mathews is a better all round hockey player right now.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
When did Matthews outscore Eichel by a lot?

I didn't watch them when they were 13 years old. Just based on what I see in the NHL now, and Eichel is the better hockey player.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:23 PM
RCS
T.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post

I didn't watch them when they were 13 years old. Just based on what I see in the NHL now, and Eichel is the better hockey player.
You just really hate Toronto huh.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Varcus

vCash: 50
You would almost think that Eichel broke a bunch of records as a rookie. Led his team to the playoffs. Won the Calder(most likely) Had to actually earn his ice time.

You would think Matthews took periods off at a time and tries only a couple times a game and on the pp while playing 20 mins of uninspiring hockey. But gets to blame the coach and whine about not getting the job done.

Yup sounds like HFboards

Old
04-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Panthaz89

Seems like Eichel was a bit more dominant when they were both on the ice together imo....Matthews had to depend on others setting him up rather than Eichel creating all the offense practically by himself. Both had 3 goals in h2h games but Jack added 4 assists.

Last edited by Panthaz89: 04-13-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old
Apotheosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOuttaHere View Post
Why is it acceptable to the entire HFBoards community for Hyman to be used as an excuse, but Kunitz is not?
When did I say you can't use Kunitz as an excuse? Anybody who watches the Pens can attest to that. And even then, Hyman is worse than Kunitz.

Old
DieByTheSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
When there are posters like you, then its pretty easy to hate Toronto. Matthews is great but he doesnt have the game changing ability of Eichel. How many 60+ point scores did buffalo have this year and Eichel still almost went PPG after a ****** injury. Take your head out of your

Old
04-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Nope. Just Leaf fans.

FWIW, I think Matthews is better than Laine, if that makes you feel better.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:38 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldelaget View Post
I think its close. Matthews is a better twoway center. Eichel looks like a better scoring center. Toews/Kopitar or Stamkos?
Kopitar has never scored 40 in his career. Matthews is a 19 year old rookie.

As an aside, big fan of both but its Matthews for me, controls the pace of the game way better, far far superior 2 way player.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Garthinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
It wasn't by as much as people like to make out. Eichel really broke out in 2013-14, he was always a top tier athlete from what I can tell, but in that 13-14 season he took a huge step at putting it all together. He jumped from 27 points in 12-13 to 45 points in 13-14 for the USNDT then put up 71 points at Boston University. Matthews went from 20 points in 2013-14 with the USNDT to 48 in 14-15, then went pro and put up 46 with ZSC Lions. It wasn't a huge margin, when they were on the same team the same year (2013-14) Eichel had 45 points, Matthews had 48.

Matthews did have great tournaments though, but at the same time you often find people discounting the fact Matthews was a 1c playing behind Eichel in tournaments they played in together. Also tournaments aren't the best way to compare players by age in different years. Opponents change and from year to year there can be huge turnover. Matthews is going to be an elite player for a long time, just like Eichel. This "every comparable level" thing has gone to people's heads though. It's something they hear once and continue to parrot without even looking at the actual numbers it seems a lot of the time. It gets passes from fan to fan until that 3 point difference is all of a sudden a 10 point difference, then 15, then 20 and so on and so on.
I'm not sure if you're trying to take a jab at me by saying outscoring jack at every level has gotten to my head and I just "continue to parrot without even looking at the actual numbers".

I'm also not sure if you actually looked up the stats yourself because Matthews did outscore Eichel by a lot. I've posted this to many times but hey maybe this time I'll change someone's mind (doubt it).

Draft -2
Usntdp:
Matthews 48 points/24 games
Eichel 45 points/24 games

(Noticed you left these stats out of your post)
U-18:
Matthews 116 pts/60 games
Eichel 87 pts/53 games

Draft -3
Usntdp:
Matthews 20 pts/20 games
Eichel 27 pts/35 games

U-17:
Matthews 33 pts/24 games
Eichel 34 pts/36 games

U-18:
Matthews 17 pts/20 games
Eichel 18 pts/22 games

As you can clearly see Matthews did outscore Eichel by quite a bit at every stage and I didn't even post their tournament scores which show the same pattern.

Then their is there draft +1
Nhl:
Matthews 40 goals 29 assists
Eichel 24 goals 33 assists

So now that I have posted the stats, can some one explain to me if Eichel has always been better than Matthews or if it is something that has just happened recently? Because the numbers say Matthews has been the better player from their draft-3 season through their draft+1.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Varcus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nope. Just Leaf fans.

FWIW, I think Matthews is better than Laine, if that makes you feel better.
Matthews and Laine is closer then any die hard fan would ever say. Just like this is closer then most would say why because we have no idea if Matthews will improve next year. Where we know Eichel did step it up a notch offensively. But has the worse Rookie season. Simple truth is you can't really go wrong with either one of them at this point there is no wrong answer only time will tell who is actually better when they play the game

Old
04-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Nucker101
Sharks Bandwagon

Matthews

Old
04-13-2017, 11:52 PM
TheBigThree

Matthews by a mile

Old
04-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Garthinater

Quote:

See a couple posts below yours. I posted their numbers from ~16-19. Sorry I couldn't find their stats from when they were 13 though.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:54 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

eichel creates far more chances with no help. matthews is a great structure player. he was born for babcock

Old
04-13-2017, 11:55 PM
EXPECT THE LEAFS

Matthews has better defensive awareness. You want a prime example? Take a look at that goal Matthews scored against Buffalo when him and Nylander criss crossed... watch Eichel lol.

He's also more dynamic in his goal scoring prowess. Can score in tight, on the rush, on the cycle, tip ins, rebounds, etc.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I've just watched more Buffalo games, and Eichel has really impressed me with his creativity and just how dynamic he is on the ince.
How about one who led his team to the playoffs in his 1st season.
The other couldn't do it in 2.

Old
04-13-2017, 11:59 PM
Garthinater

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
eichel creates far more chances with no help. matthews is a great structure player. he was born for babcock
Proof? It's easy to say things but it's another to be able to back it up

Closed Thread