HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Will the Jets be better than the Leafs next season?

Old
04-14-2017, 03:52 AM
LoveNHL

vCash: 500
Need a golie to have a chance.

LoveNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:57 AM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNHL View Post
Need a golie to have a chance.
So do the Leafs.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Eh....will the Jets be better than the Jets next season?

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:34 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

It's interesting to peruse the Leafs PGT after their playoff loss to the Caps tonight. Even Babcock seems to take a bunch of the same kinds of critiques that Maurice does. The 4th line appears to be kryptonite for coaches (Babcock plays them too much, Maurice too little, both have the wrong players). And also who gets line-matched with their star players (Leafs fans are hating on Hyman, who is ruining Matthews and Nylander, much like how folks have been angry here over Laine not playing with Scheifs, or general top-6 line blending).

Just a sample from the first few pages of their PGT:

Quote:
I will be the happiest guy in the world if they ever took off Hyman from Matthews permanently.
Quote:
Please do not resign Hyman. He will be playing with Matthews until the end of time while Babcock is here.
Quote:
Can Babcock not see that whenever Hyman touches the puck, the damn play dies? I don't understand?
Quote:
For ****'s sake put Brown or Kapanen on that line
Quote:
Maybe if Matthews and Nylander go pointless for the next 2 games Babcock will take Hyman off that ****ing line
Quote:
He completely neutralized Willy's speed game.
Quote:
Also for a so called elite grinder, Hyman was very ineffective tonight .. That hindered Matthews and Nylander's ability to get space.
Quote:
fourth line

hyman

**** me
Quote:
Too much 4th line
Quote:
Too much of 4th line
(lots more of these)

Quote:
Our 4th would be much better off with another skilled forward.
Pissed that we are going for a goal, by playing the fourth line constantly.
Quote:
Welcome to BabcockLand.
The Leaf fans have also been pissed about their distribution of ice time among their D (much like the Maurice criticism).

This isn't meant to prove anything about Babcock vs. Maurice as coaches (Babs is obviously a great coach). But more that fans always seem to find something coach-related to pick apart when things aren't going right. Record aside, the same kind of evidence often used to critique Maurice seems to apply almost equally to Babcock among the Leaf fans.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:10 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No goalie would flourish with the craptastic defensive play the team had this year.
i give you the defensive mess that is the Buffalo Sabres as exhibit A.....a buddy of mine watches allot of Pens games and says they are a bigger **** show than us as far as trading high quality chances.

Garret had an excellent article on this in Jets nation and I have a link here for y'all

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/04/06/by-...oving-forward/

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:24 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Good post Puck.

One thing I have learned by getting off the farm and going to the big city (visiting other teams forums) is pretty much everyone hates their coach (especially after losses) and the themes are shockingly similar (overuse of ****** vets being the top complaint).

I think allot of it comes down to coaches favouring reliable vet players that stick to their plan and are easy to work with even if they suck. Maurice is not alone by any means with his weird mind numbing usage of things like Stu on the PK or Thor on the 3rd line. I don't know if it's because they travel with them and spend so much time together and lose objectivlety but every coach seems to fall in love with their version of Stu, Thor, Stafford etc.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:34 AM
gbill2004*

As the saying goes...a great goaltender makes a great coach.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:58 AM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Maybe.. goaltending is needed though.

Sign Bishop or someone in that caliber and it's possible.

04-14-2017, 02:55 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Possible: yes
Probable: no, but that can change depending on the summer

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Whileee

Depends on injuries. Knock 400+ mangames out of the Leafs and the Jets would have been better in all respects other than goal, in my opinion.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:08 PM
SoCalJetsFan

vCash: 147
Yes, I have faith that Chevy will get an experienced goalie to compliment Helle. I believe that Connor will make the team and play 3rd line LW with Lowery and Armia and add the goal scoring touch that line needs to be a real 3rd line. I also think that a decent 3rd pair LD will get picked up and pair with Myers (unless he gets traded). Just those things could give us 10 more points next year.

Ok, so I'm an optimist

SoCalJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:13 PM
wpgsilver

Not particularly concerned with where we are going to be relative to the Leafs. I'm more concerned with the teams in our division.

I think we should be better than this year if we stay healthy, but we either need to find a goalie or have Helly grow into a number one for us to be competitive.

04-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Good post Puck.

One thing I have learned by getting off the farm and going to the big city (visiting other teams forums) is pretty much everyone hates their coach (especially after losses) and the themes are shockingly similar (overuse of ****** vets being the top complaint).

I think allot of it comes down to coaches favouring reliable vet players that stick to their plan and are easy to work with even if they suck. Maurice is not alone by any means with his weird mind numbing usage of things like Stu on the PK or Thor on the 3rd line. I don't know if it's because they travel with them and spend so much time together and lose objectivlety but every coach seems to fall in love with their version of Stu, Thor, Stafford etc.
Well...We are on a website designed for the express purpose of grown men fetishising over 18-23 yearolds

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Sticks of Fury

Just have the team stop taking ill advised penalties....Goalies are getting scored on too much on the PK.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:53 PM
DougieSmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No goalie would flourish with the craptastic defensive play the team had this year.
On paper, the defence corps the Leafs iced last night was arguably inferior to the Jets blue line. But watching the Leafs last night I saw a tenacious team with players mostly consistently in position and doing a good job keeping the middle of the ice defended in their own zone.
Coaching?

DougieSmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:08 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Well...We are on a website designed for the express purpose of grown men fetishising over 18-23 yearolds
Why do I have the sudden urge to put on a trench coat?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:12 PM
bustamente

vCash: 58
If the Jets would have gotten as many loser points as the Leafs we would of been in the playoffs to.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLbound View Post
This is funny seeing as we had the exact same amount of wins as them this year. They managed to lose more games in extra time and shootouts. We are pretty darn close to them, and thats with a bad coach and no NHL starter. Not bad

Just another team who rebuilt and was worse then us years ago. Plenty of teams like that ahead of us now. Because we have a GM who thinks drafting is the only job a GM has
and that job belongs entirely to his scouting staff.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
It's interesting to peruse the Leafs PGT after their playoff loss to the Caps tonight. Even Babcock seems to take a bunch of the same kinds of critiques that Maurice does. The 4th line appears to be kryptonite for coaches (Babcock plays them too much, Maurice too little, both have the wrong players). And also who gets line-matched with their star players (Leafs fans are hating on Hyman, who is ruining Matthews and Nylander, much like how folks have been angry here over Laine not playing with Scheifs, or general top-6 line blending).

Just a sample from the first few pages of their PGT:

(lots more of these)

The Leaf fans have also been pissed about their distribution of ice time among their D (much like the Maurice criticism).

This isn't meant to prove anything about Babcock vs. Maurice as coaches (Babs is obviously a great coach). But more that fans always seem to find something coach-related to pick apart when things aren't going right. Record aside, the same kind of evidence often used to critique Maurice seems to apply almost equally to Babcock among the Leaf fans.
That must hqave been tough Puck. I mean spending that much time on the Leafs board.

This is actually pretty funny.

I think it is only fair that Babcock is held to a higher standard though. He probably makes about 4 x what Maurice is getting.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:32 PM
JohnnyBerts

The Jets should have been better than the Leafs this season, never mind next season. Although it's clearly evident how badly the Jets need goaltending. And honestly, as much as big Buff brings to the table, I just don't like him on that team. I feel like they would be better served with a Shattenkirk type for that money. If Tyler Myers can stay healthy, that's the big body, no need for both. Someone who can move the puck and dominate the PP would complete the Jets IMO. With Buff and mediocre goaltending, they'll always be a fringe team that misses or barely gets in only to get knocked out in round 1.

JohnnyBerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:39 PM
DRW204

Babcock loves his 4th line guys in the playoffs. With the DRW it was Glendening, sounds like TML is getting a taste of this.

and for all the praise and greatness that exist within the Jets offense, the Leafs had a higher GF per game than WPG (granted by 4 goals). WPG has better defensive personnel, but I think Babs' systems helps them

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:03 PM
heretik27

Jets won the same amount of games the Leafs did this season with Vancouver being the only team with more man games lost if memory serves me right, so yeah with a healthy lineup and hopefully better goaltending we should be better than the Leafs next season.

OT losses don't help you in the playoffs. There's no points or trophy for losing there unlike the regular season which saw Tampa and NYI both win more games this year than Toronto. Wins should be the most important factor in determining a playoff spot, but that's a different argument for a different thread.

Leafs turnaround is definitely overrated. The only reason they were in last place last season is because they held back all of their talent an extra year to blatantly tank for the best shot at drafting a 1C (Matthews). The biggest difference between our builds is they willingly dumped off players like Kessel and Phaneuf while we were forced to dump off players from the Atlanta core (Kane+Bogo, and then Ladd). The Leafs having a bunch of seasoned 23-25 year old rookies means **** all to me. It's no different than the struggles guys like Armia, Dano, Lowry, Petan, Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Morrissey, Trouba, Scheifele, Laine, Copp, Hellebuyck and Nogier have to go through learning in the NCAA, AHL, or NHL. The difference being that the older players obviously have more experience and have likely worked out more of the kinks in their game before transitioning to the NHL as opposed to learning on the fly which most of our younger players are doing right now. Talent-wise, I think we've got more depth both offensively and defensively. Goaltending is the biggest difference, and as I said before we've got young Hellebuyck learning the game on the go because our GM never got off his ass to fix the starting goaltender situation in Winnipeg.

The Jets are going to improve the most as these young players gain experience and iron out the kinks in their game. I firmly believe that and whether Maurice, Huddy, or Flaherty are the guys to guide them and help them address those issues I'm not entirely sure. But for the love of all that is holy, get a decent goalie this off season so we can give Hellebuyck time to work on his mechanics and improve in between games. It's a situation that clearly benefited Pittsburgh this season having a vet split the games with Murray being their clear go to guy for the future. There's no reason Chevy should be sitting on his hands regarding our goaltending this summer.

heretik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Jets won the same amount of games the Leafs did this season with Vancouver being the only team with more man games lost if memory serves me right, so yeah with a healthy lineup and hopefully better goaltending we should be better than the Leafs next season.

OT losses don't help you in the playoffs. There's no points or trophy for losing there unlike the regular season which saw Tampa and NYI both win more games this year than Toronto. Wins should be the most important factor in determining a playoff spot, but that's a different argument for a different thread.

Leafs turnaround is definitely overrated. The only reason they were in last place last season is because they held back all of their talent an extra year to blatantly tank for the best shot at drafting a 1C (Matthews). The biggest difference between our builds is they willingly dumped off players like Kessel and Phaneuf while we were forced to dump off players from the Atlanta core (Kane+Bogo, and then Ladd). The Leafs having a bunch of seasoned 23-25 year old rookies means **** all to me. It's no different than the struggles guys like Armia, Dano, Lowry, Petan, Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Morrissey, Trouba, Scheifele, Laine, Copp, Hellebuyck and Nogier have to go through learning in the NCAA, AHL, or NHL. The difference being that the older players obviously have more experience and have likely worked out more of the kinks in their game before transitioning to the NHL as opposed to learning on the fly which most of our younger players are doing right now. Talent-wise, I think we've got more depth both offensively and defensively. Goaltending is the biggest difference, and as I said before we've got young Hellebuyck learning the game on the go because our GM never got off his ass to fix the starting goaltender situation in Winnipeg.

The Jets are going to improve the most as these young players gain experience and iron out the kinks in their game. I firmly believe that and whether Maurice, Huddy, or Flaherty are the guys to guide them and help them address those issues I'm not entirely sure. But for the love of all that is holy, get a decent goalie this off season so we can give Hellebuyck time to work on his mechanics and improve in between games. It's a situation that clearly benefited Pittsburgh this season having a vet split the games with Murray being their clear go to guy for the future. There's no reason Chevy should be sitting on his hands regarding our goaltending this summer.
Injuries again... thought Chevy drafted and developed the best organizational depth.
Absolutely hate the injuries excuse.
Until we rid our selves of this front office it will be the same issues every year

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:15 PM
matthole

The Jets will be better a confident NHL ready LD to play on the 2nd Line(Valimaki is my favourite candidate) or a good LD in FA or Ben Bishop.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:49 PM
HannuJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Possible: yes
Probable: no, but that can change depending on the summer
i disagree.
mangames lost to injuries minus loser points equals two teams that would be a lot closer to each other in the standings.

unless the Leafs sign Shattenkirk, their D is still below average. like, laughably below average.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote