HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds\Jackets GdT

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Preds\Jackets GdT

hooray.

Old
02-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
hooray.
I think we will win.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:09 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
If we bring Thursday nights effort, we'll roll over them and we'll expose the fact that they played last night. Of course, judging by our play the last 30 or so games, that's a big 'if.'

Old
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
handtrick

Anybody hear if Weber is sent back to Milwaukee, and if not, will he start tonight to get a look at him against a more reasonable opponent?

If he stays up for another scratch, I will really be confused, and probably somewhat pissed.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
vopatsrash

I've always assumed Mason would get the start tonight to give Vokoun the extra rest before the olympics, but the Dallas-Detroit 0-3 this week might make Vokoun necessary.

Besides, surely the Czechs will go with Hasek for the bulk, right?

Old
02-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well, I get to go see this game, and actually have section 117 tickets, rather than my normal 309 haunt. I really hope this turns into a rout where we completely stomp the blue jackets...

I'm not overly fond of the Jackets to be honest

02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
CzechLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Well, I get to go see this game, and actually have section 117 tickets, rather than my normal 309 haunt. I really hope this turns into a rout where we completely stomp the blue jackets...

I'm not overly fond of the Jackets to be honest
we don't like you either.

Old
02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Worth noting...right now, it's 3-2, first intermission...

Goal number 1- Eaton is waving his stick, skating backwards on Fedorov...Fedorov, with zero effort at all, puts a puck right on Nash's stick. Vokoun thought the opening was too small....never even had a chance, the shot was so fast.

Goal 2- Eaton is waving his stick, skating backwards on Nash...Nash drops the puck back to Zherdev....Eaton watches helplessly as Nash goes to the net to set up the screen, Zherdev puts a laser behind Vokoun.

Notice a common factor between those two goals?

Old
02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Notice a common factor between those two goals?
Yeah, we can't backcheck.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
SmokeyClause

It was good effort. We allowed Columbus a lot of speed on their two goals. It didn't matter though. The BJ's played terrible. I don't know if it was pot luck that allowed them to win so many games recently or if it was just a hot streak that every team goes on, but they are horrible defensively. Suchy did his best Delmore impersonation on Timonen's goal.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Agreed...but a lot of it has to do with how bad their PK is.

Weber looked better than Eaton, Suter, Timonen or Hamhuis have in two months. Loved to see him bury Rick Nash AND Jody Shelley.

Also loved seeing Markov invert Nash into the bench

Good to go into the break on a high note, and I hope Vokoun rides the bench for most of the Olympics. I'd like to see him get the rest.

I still saw a lot of the things that have troubled me(inability to get set up on the PP, passive defense), but the forecheck in particular was MUCH better..but then again, that could be how awful the Jackets' defense was.

Hopefully we come out of the break with Legwand and Walker back.

Old
02-11-2006, 10:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Agreed...but a lot of it has to do with how bad their PK is.

Weber looked better than Eaton, Suter, Timonen or Hamhuis have in two months. Loved to see him bury Rick Nash AND Jody Shelley.

Also loved seeing Markov invert Nash into the bench

Good to go into the break on a high note, and I hope Vokoun rides the bench for most of the Olympics. I'd like to see him get the rest.

I still saw a lot of the things that have troubled me(inability to get set up on the PP, passive defense), but the forecheck in particular was MUCH better..but then again, that could be how awful the Jackets' defense was.

Hopefully we come out of the break with Legwand and Walker back.
Yeah this game is probably misleading because of how bad the Jackets are. It's kind of like that when you face a terrible, untalented Power Play, you ramp up the aggressiveness on your PK to force them make quick decisions. Well with the Jackets horrible D-core, they are almost begging you to bring a strong forecheck in. And so we did. We even had a fairly effective forecheck on the PK.

And they have no concept of team defense so the problems associated with carrying speed through the neutral zone and into the opposing team's zone were much decreased. It's not hard to carry speed in the zone when their forwards stand there and wave their sticks as you skate by.

Old
02-11-2006, 11:07 PM
braindead

Two great points there. Weber looks like he may be quickly rounding into the defenseman we supposedly need to trade for.....and the forecheck was much better (kudos to Sullivan, Smithson and particularly UPSHALL for that).

Upshall was flying. I've never been a big fan but I'm converted if he plays like this regularly. He was fast, strong, smart.

Even when we were down 2-1 it didn't seem like the CBJ had a chance. Nice to get a win going into the break.

Old
02-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Upshall was the best player on the ice tonight, man he was fantastic!

Weber played a pretty solid game. He doesn't make much happen offensively, but he really didn't make mistakes on defense. This is probably the difference between him and Suter at this point. Great game from him. I thought in his other games in previous callups that he looked good but still not ready....he definitely looked ready tonight.

Still, its hard to praise our team when we beat the blue jackets because......they suck......and we always beat them There PK is so disorganized its almost comical watching how our struggling PP always overwhelms them. How many PP goals do we have on them? 20? Seriously, its in the teens I bet! 33 goals in 7 games, thats almost an average of 5 goals a game against the Jackets.

Eaton really needs to learn how to play the body. Its hard to watch the really good skaters/players just skate around his flailing stick, loop back around, skate around him and get a 1 on 1 against the goalie.

Still, I can't complain. We dominated the Jackets thoroughly all night long. Heck, Erat almost had a Gordie Howe hattrick. ERAT ALMOST HAD A GORDIE HOWE HATTRICK

Old
02-12-2006, 07:44 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechLine
we don't like you either.

I thought it was interesting that the Jackets' announcers said that Nashville was their No.1 rival, while I rank them high on our list, our No. 1 has to be the boys from Motor City.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Pred303

a good solid win...a needed win, for both the team and the fans.. a few observations about this one;

...start with upshall. the guy was absolutely flying out there last night every shift he was on ice. great rebound goal of course, but he was in middle of things all night and really got after them forechecking, something we've really been missing lately. this guy is ready to play everynight, even when everyone gets healthy upfront. means a trade has to happen somewhere soon, if not before march 9th certainly this next off season.
...weber. his best game, looked much more relaxed with the puck. hit everything that moved. unlike any other d-man we have he actually looks to hit. notice how he takes little angles out farther to hit someone hard when they are cycling the puck in our zone. this "searching" for someone to hit is something we don't have from anyone else. man is this kid going to be a great hockey player for us for about the next ten years.
...hall and hartnell neither scored a point. yet both had really good games. hall's screens got us two goals (1st zids one and the erat one) as well as if he'd scored them himself, while harts did the same on the second zids goal.. in fact none of these three are scored if these two guys don't do what they did.
...denis made two unbelieveably good saves last night on kariya on the rebound on the pp and hartnell on the two on one from sully. both were robbed of sure goals. however both guys will tell you the same thing, that they just didn't get the puck elevated quite as high as they wanted or they would both have been in anyway.
...wateched the replay over and over on hartnell's disallowed highstick goal. should have been a goal. the immediate "wave-off" by the official is what cost us, which was done because hartnell started his stick up so high. made it look like it had to have been highsticked, but he actually contacts the puck with the stick absolutely straight out. what a deflection it was anyway, that shot/pass was a good 8 feet off net. hart nell was snakebit, could easily have had two goals.
...vokoun with two great back-to-back stops on zherdev, and one great one on federov all in about a 2 minute spurt there to start the third when they were huge.
...sillinger. had two straight great chances on that one pp. just good stops from denis. throw in those other two great saves and we could easily have put up a snowman plus in this one.
...our pp is one of the most confusing looking things in the league...we look awful for about a minute and a hlaf sometimes and then BOOM, the puck winds up on someones stick and they knock it in just as time expires.. but whenever we have what looks like a good organized puck control pp, well then we seem to seldom score...
...not only did we get two late in the pp goals from zidlicky, we also scored the two from erat and timonen in the chaos right after a pp had failed.
...nomore is dead-on on the two columbus goals. both were the result of eaton trying to pokecheck and not taking the body. two great shots from nash and zherdev. nash fooled vokoun going back shortside high. vokoun was obviously guessing he was going back stickside, anbd he put the puck in about a 2 inch opening right over the gloveside crook of the arm.
...comments this morning about walker's wrist sprain make me really wonder how serious this will turn out to be. (handtrick, give us your expert medical opinion here, *cough,cough it hurt to even type that*)

going to be some tough decisions personnel-wise when we get ready to start back if everyone is healthy again.... upshall is bursting at the seems to push someone aside at one of the top 6 forward spots... weber is pushing suter... smithson/nichol's spots are going to be squeezed... the waiving of allison and stevenson is a sign that management is finally having to make these tough decisions. more to come here, even without the trade we all think will happen.

Old
02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
...comments this morning about walker's wrist sprain make me really wonder how serious this will turn out to be. (handtrick, give us your expert medical opinion here, *cough,cough it hurt to even type that*)

WELL, since you asked..............here is the quote:

Walker strained what Trotz described as a stabilizing ligament in his right wrist on Feb. 6. The feisty forward currently has the wrist in a splint.

``We should know within the next week (how long he'll be out),'' Trotz said. ``If it settles down, then we should be able to put a protective brace on it and it will be good to go. If it doesn't settle down or if he aggravates it, it could be tougher.''

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...602120435/1028

This injury is 35% chance a "scapholunate" ligament injury and 25% chance it is a "TFCC" or injury, and 40% chance it is a "dorsal triquetral avulsion' injury. I know those names don't mean anything to you, but I mention them because each one has a totally different implication on ability to return.

"Scapholunate ligament" injuries can be a devastating injury with poor healing even with surgical methods or long periods of immobilization. This is the primary stabilizer between two of the important small bones in the wrist, the scaphoid and the lunate. Injury to this ligament renders the wrist weak when pressures and load is applied through it, such as during a slap shot. Sometimes part of the wrist has to be fused to solve this problematic injury [Isaiah Thomas, and others]. Sheldon Sooray, I am pretty sure, had the last technical advancement....a bone-tendon-bone graft from the foot. There are probably many hockey players that have this injury that just adapt. There is a chance that Scottie Upshall and even Paul Kariya were dealing with this during all their "wrist" troubles in 2003/4. So in summary, this can be a difficult problem to deal with, not usually career ending but certainly can affect effectiveness and takes quite a while to recover and may never be "normal"......one of the reasons that I said in an earlier post....."don't expect Scott Walker to come back 100% this year." You could play in a splint, but the splint wouldn't allow flexion or extension of the wrist.

"TFCC" injuries can be nagging, but not near the devasting potential as the scapholunate injuries mentioned above. This is one of the stabilizers, but not the only stabilizer between the radius and the ulna, and it's involved in rotation, palm up and palm down. This injury could be potential painful during stick handling, and would have some affect on your slapshot and to a lesser extent your wrist shot. These ligament injuries also have trouble healing alot of the time, but it is much less biomechanically significant than the scapholunate injury. Pronger had one of these in 2002-3 and had surgery on it [that never would be performed by most hand surgeons now - a "Darrach procedure", where they removed the head of the ulna bone....but he has obviously come back from it]. You can't really wear an effective splint that immoblizes the palm up and palm down rotation and play hockey, so I think the chance of it being this injury is low.

"Dorsal Triquetral Ligament" injuries are less problematic. This ligament is also a "stabilizing" ligament in the wrist. The difference is, is that it is on the outside of the wrist joint capsule and not inbetween two bones as the above ones are. It almost always heals, if it is immobilized properly....4-5 weeks. It can be aggrevated, if you start playing too soon, but will usually heal if you give it enough time. This can be a nagging, but short-term injury. It would affect your shot mostly.
My gut says it is this one......the timing of treatment by the Trotz quote ....the area of the wrist they were pressing on during the bench exam by the trainer that I saw on the TV during the Dallas game.....all lead me to believe it is THIS one...which of course, you hope it is based on the longterm problems of the other ones and the fact that the wrist is once again "normal" after this one heals. He can play in a splint that limits flexion and extension of the wrist while it heals.

I know this is more than anyone wanted to know......but p303...you asked for it

Last edited by handtrick: 02-12-2006 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarification and typo
Old
02-12-2006, 11:14 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
You are wrong Handtrick......it's not more than I wanted to know. Appreciate the "lesson"....can I count it as continuing education credits? Send me a quiz.

Old
02-12-2006, 11:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Look, I've spoken to a couple of you via PM, let me put a general warning here:

DO NOT go to another team's board and make an *** of yourself\other Preds fans. I'm sick of having to stick up for you when you're being the sort of troll that we get so disgusted by both here and on the other board. If you can't resist the urge to stir something up, then simply stay off their board. It's embarassing, and we went a long time being known as some of the classiest fans on this board, and I'd assume have you kicked off the board than risk having you ruin that. If you act like a jerk on another team's board, from here on out, I'm not sticking up for you, and I'll urge the moderator of that board to take the full extent of action against you. For all the crap we've put up with from Wings and Blues fans, you want to be that sort of poster? Ridiculous. I haven't had to be heavy-handed in regards to moderation in over 2 years of moderation, and it's stupid to have to start now, but you're simply not going to represent Preds fans that way.

Old
02-12-2006, 11:25 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Great analysis, handtrick.
You guys have already hit on the two players that stood out for me in this game: Upshall, and Weber.

Weber to the extent he seemed to 'get it' this time. Could have been the Jackets were so rattled after the tear they have been on to be dominated they we they were. I loved hearing the BJ announcers whine about Nash getting pasted. You'd think he was 180 pound weakling and it was unfair to check him they way they went on.

Upshall-- man he really seems ready to me. With the resurgence of Erat (who many were ready to trade a few weeks ago) the team has more distributed threats. Opponents can't just key on PK, Sully and (gulp) Perrault-- other guys are dangerous and fast.

Johnson, well, he looks more and more out of place on this team. I know he brings some intangibles with his experience, but right now he looks expendable.

It was good to get a win and see more of the old form. I think the guys 'resting' during the break will come back recharged, and (sound of knocking on wood) here's hoping the ones playing stay healthy and come back hungry!

Last edited by darth5: 02-12-2006 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Pred303

while we're talking wrist injuries...upshall played the last two periods putting ice on his left wrist between every shift i believe after being slashed in the 2nd... something to keep an eye on when he reports to Milwaukee

Old
02-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Bad Karma

He had his hand/wrist wrapped and iced when he came up for the postgame show.

Old
02-12-2006, 01:29 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Look, I've spoken to a couple of you via PM, let me put a general warning here:

DO NOT go to another team's board and make an *** of yourself\other Preds fans. I'm sick of having to stick up for you when you're being the sort of troll that we get so disgusted by both here and on the other board. If you can't resist the urge to stir something up, then simply stay off their board. It's embarassing, and we went a long time being known as some of the classiest fans on this board, and I'd assume have you kicked off the board than risk having you ruin that. If you act like a jerk on another team's board, from here on out, I'm not sticking up for you, and I'll urge the moderator of that board to take the full extent of action against you. For all the crap we've put up with from Wings and Blues fans, you want to be that sort of poster? Ridiculous. I haven't had to be heavy-handed in regards to moderation in over 2 years of moderation, and it's stupid to have to start now, but you're simply not going to represent Preds fans that way.
I'll second this and will be watching as well. Let's keep it classy here. You can give other teams' fans a hard time, but do it in good nature and in the spirit of a fun rivalry.

I know a lot of you guys are new, but I think we all know what is right and what is wrong. We aren't asking you to sterilize your comments to make 'jacketracket' happy, just use common sense.

Old
02-12-2006, 02:53 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I wonder what the opposite of the ignore list is, but I garantee you that handtrick is on my opposite-of-ignore list. Very entertaining poster. I just happen to be here out of interest for the Pred-next-big-thing, which by the looks of it, is Upshall.

Keep up the details handtrick. Perhaps someday I can put together a surgery simulator that does your field justice. Cheers.

(Since moved from Japan to Germany to become GermanyMontrealExpat, but my laptop won't let me let go of the JME identity...)

Old
02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick

so let me recap what i think i learned...

so there is a 35% chance he will be back to 50% effectiveness, a 25% chance he will be back to 75% effectiveness, and a 40% chance he will be back to 100% effectiveness, but we all know there's a 0% chance of that all happening??...jeezus

Closed Thread