HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Loui Eriksson 24p this season

Old
04-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Bobby Digital

vCash: 500
Another Jim Benning move. Guy is a moron. Anyone could see this signing was going to turn out horribly.

Bobby Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 11:59 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
Washed up?
But yet say his contract is better than lucic

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Semantics
200 IQ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
He had his best seasons with Ribeiro,Richards and Krejci. If you give him a top center and allow him to adjust,he'll give you 25-30 goals next year. The UFA thing is an insult. He had 3 other seasons of 60-70 points. Many people had off years during the strike season,then he had 2 concussions and after fully healthy was saddled with Chris Kelly and Carl Soderberg. No one would thrive offensively with them.
That seems like a huge stretch. Only 26 players in the NHL scored 30 goals this year, do you actually think a 32 year old Eriksson has a realistic chance to be one of the top 27 goal scorers in the league? Only 52 players scored 25 goals, so reaching that mark seems unlikely too for a guy who in his career has averaged 23 goals per 82 games and is now 32 years old.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Semantics
200 IQ passes

Only four players who were over the age of 32 at the start of this season hit 25 goals: Pavelski, Marleau, Eaves, Hossa. Thinking that Eriksson has that in him is crazy. It's a huge long shot.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:19 PM
ulvvf

That signing didnt make much sense from the beginning, shouldnt vancouver be tanking? But yeah, that he would this bad was a surprise.

ulvvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 12:20 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Benning thought the Sedins and Eriksson would reproduce their magic when they dominated together in the 2013 World Championships.

3 problems, big ice, 4 years ago and b-rate tournament.

I was extremely pissed as well when the Sedins looked like crap when the Canucks got swept by San Jose only to go and play half decent hockey at the WHC.

I dunno, I won't call it a write off yet, but, yeah, this reeks as of right now.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:00 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
he had a bad season in boston first year so idk

he doesnt fit with the sedins and he probably wont be on horvats line so that means he gets to play brandon 'steel balls' sutter on the 3rd line
His first year in Boston his knee was wrecked

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:02 PM
LeafFever

I don't get why rebuilding teams sign late 20's/early 30's guys.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Spawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Potential buyout candidate for the Canucks.
The way his contract was structured with signing bonuses makes buying out his contract almost impossible. They'd save less than 500k a season buying him out.

All of these big UFA signings are heavily loaded with signing bonuses with minimal actual salary. Agents figured out a way to make them essentially buy out proof.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:46 PM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
What kind of injuries? was he playing injured or something because he got 10 or 11 goals in 60 gp which is similar to this season

I think 20-25---20-25 is doable if things goes right.. he does most of his scoring around the net and tip ins I believe
Come on now, this is not some ancient, obscure hockey history fact now...

BruinLVGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:52 PM
HZH
LessBoroMoreClaesson

trade you for Ryan

HZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Reseob ot Etteduag

If he didnt have his name and contract he would of been scratched regularly last season. Was brutal at everything he did. I dream of somehow trading him but no chance on that front imo

Reseob ot Etteduag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Fortunately for Vancouver, they're in full rebuild mode so it doesn't matter toooo much. They're unlikely to spend to the cap in the next 5 years so it's unlikely this will truly handcuff them.

If they were playoff contenders and hoping he'd push them over the edge (likely what Jim thought when he made the signing), it would be a lot harder to swallow. For now it's just a crappy signing and not much more.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:18 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden of the North View Post
Hes going to be 32. His career is definitely on the downswing. The Canucks grossly overpayed him to try and make the playoffs and it backfired horribly.
Absolutely. I thought he would be a 35 goal guy with Sedin based on his 30 with Krejci who was injured from game 65 on. I still think his style of play,which is mostly cerebral,positioning and goalfront,can be exploited for 30 goals next year with the proper center. The Bruins gave up on him in favor of 1 year older Backes for similar money and term,to get leadership,physicality and faceoffs-ugh.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:23 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
That seems like a huge stretch. Only 26 players in the NHL scored 30 goals this year, do you actually think a 32 year old Eriksson has a realistic chance to be one of the top 27 goal scorers in the league? Only 52 players scored 25 goals, so reaching that mark seems unlikely too for a guy who in his career has averaged 23 goals per 82 games and is now 32 years old.
Yes,I do. When you talk career averages with Eriksson you are including a strike year,where many underperformed,a concussion season,and a season and a half with Carl Soderberg and Chris Kelly. If he had played 2014 with Krejci he would have had 30-35,instead of the 22 he had with the 2 black holes. So he would have been coming off 2 30 goal seasons back to back. Not everything can be determined through data,somethings can be reasoned or excused.

Old
04-14-2017, 03:24 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
His first year in Boston his knee was wrecked
Huh? You mean his head?

Old
04-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Clode

Quote:

he doesnt fit with the sedins and he probably wont be on horvats line so that means he gets to play brandon 'steel balls' sutter on the 3rd line
He was also concussed twice in his first season in Boston

Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:53 PM
LeafFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Fortunately for Vancouver, they're in full rebuild mode so it doesn't matter toooo much. They're unlikely to spend to the cap in the next 5 years so it's unlikely this will truly handcuff them.

If they were playoff contenders and hoping he'd push them over the edge (likely what Jim thought when he made the signing), it would be a lot harder to swallow. For now it's just a crappy signing and not much more.
If they were in full rebuild Loui Eriksson would not be on the team.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:02 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

He had two concussions, one right after the other in his first season in Boston. But even besides that he didn't seem to find his game when he was healthy so maybe next season he shows an improvement.

The thing is that he has played with the Sedins in the past and did well. His success in Boston was playing on the 3rd line with Soderberg or Spooner and then Krejci on the 2nd line for a little while, he didn't fit well with Bergeron.

I think it is too early to give up on him.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:16 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Exactly, it's the Canucks team as a whole.

Eriksson on a contender would have had over 50 points.
What, so does that mean Horvat would have been a 70 point player and Stetcher would have challenged for the Norris had they been "on a contender"? Eriksson was an absolute tire fire this season and blaming the Canucks is a terrible excuse. Remember, they were in a playoff position, coming in to the new year, and Eriksson sure as hell wasn't playing a part in that... he was hot garbage all season long.

He's not going to double his output, on another team, with the kind of performance he put in this season. It was downright shameful.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

His beast years were in dallas he's about 6 years out of his prime guys

He was touted as a two way player with elite instincts. never known for physical game or being flashy. at this age his weaknesses are even more apparent

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:40 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The way his contract was structured with signing bonuses makes buying out his contract almost impossible. They'd save less than 500k a season buying him out.

All of these big UFA signings are heavily loaded with signing bonuses with minimal actual salary. Agents figured out a way to make them essentially buy out proof.
Which begs the question of why would the Canucks even make the signing. Forget the fact they should be rebuilding, a long term deal on a player who's on the wrong side of 30 should never be signed. Let alone the fact the contract is buyout proof, you don't need any hockey knowledge to know that's a deal that shouldn't be signed.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:45 PM
DeltaSwede

Reading hfboards is like reading a book that looks to have 200 pages but someone has managed to write the ending nice and neatly there on page 4 and left the rest blank.

A lot of definitives and conclusions after one season playing for a new team for a notorious slow starter. He'll be better next year.

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:38 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This, but before the concussions he seemed tentative and a little confused at the system that the Bruins played. He was somewhat sheepish when he was interviewed by B's management (if I had the time I would find the interview on YouTube). The concussions ruined him for his first 2 years here IMO and also he (again my opinion) tried to rush back before he was ready so the second concussion was a terrific blow. He never really fit here for whatever reason but in his UFA season he left it all out on the ice and played his ass off. I hope that he can get back to form, he's a very nice gentleman and although I was disapointed in his time here nevertheless that wasn't his fault as much as circumstances. I'd say 50/50 on regaining his form. I would put him out there with linemates who can hit and (in a sense) be physical to give him the room to operate, but that's just me.
That's interesting. Judging by a few interviews I always figured that Willie D wasn't very good at explaining what he wanted to players other than 'play hard'.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
dirk41

PPG

There was clear downward trend until his UFA season.

I think he can bounce back and be a 45-50 point guy.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote