HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was the Brassard trade an under the radar mistake?

Old
04-14-2017, 04:45 PM
JohnnyBerts

vCash: 500
I honestly don't think Brassard is as good as Mika but Brassard makes the Sens better right now. I wouldn't have done it though. I would rather have Zibanejad and find a way to unload Bobby Ryan. It was so clear he didn't belong on that team, I don't know why they signed him. Credit to Ottawa though, they make moves. I didn't think the Phaneuf trade was smart and it ended up being brilliant. Expensive but brilliant.

Brassard trade was not a mistake, they thought they would be better and they were right. Short term though. In 2-3 years, will not have been a good move.

JohnnyBerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 04:51 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Both won the trade.
As a sens fan i strongly dissagree, it was an aweful trade. It had Melnyk written all over it the only reason ottawa gave up the higher pick was because of salary concerns and a signing bonus that NYR paid to Brassard.

Zibanejad as frusterating as he can be atleast makes plays here and there. Brassard has been a black hole of offense all season. He also got to ride shot gun with Stone for almost half and was unproductive. In comparison Pageau scores more per game playing with Stone than Brassard.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:10 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldelaget View Post
Brassard had his two best years with Zuccarello on his wing, that wasnt a coincidence. Zuccarello was the best player on that line easily. Zucc is a backchecking machine and top 10 in the league in takeaways while consistently scoring 60 points. I wish Brass(and Sens Who Are my favorite team in the east behind NYR) all the best but this trade was not good for Ottawa now or longterm. Zibanajad is the better player and Brass is not much better defensively, both are pretty solid defensively. None of them are great defensively. Said it when the trade was made that i had no clue why Sens did it... Made no sense
Possible reasons:
Zibby is immature
Likely to cost a lot more.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:32 PM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
just like ottawa gave away lehner.

danielpalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:34 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Possible reasons:
Zibby is immature
Likely to cost a lot more.
Zib is young, call him immature but he has outscored Brass by alot this season in points per game. He will very likely be signed around 4-4,5 million for maybe 5 years. How will he cost alot more? Dont see that argument at all

WesMcCauley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
As a sens fan i strongly dissagree, it was an aweful trade. It had Melnyk written all over it the only reason ottawa gave up the higher pick was because of salary concerns and a signing bonus that NYR paid to Brassard.

Zibanejad as frusterating as he can be atleast makes plays here and there. Brassard has been a black hole of offense all season. He also got to ride shot gun with Stone for almost half and was unproductive. In comparison Pageau scores more per game playing with Stone than Brassard.
This guy, he's my kind of guy.

Well said.

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:40 PM
50 in 07

Quote:
Zib is young, call him immature but he has outscored Brass by alot this season in points per game. He will very likely be signed around 4-4,5 million for maybe 5 years. How will he cost alot more? Dont see that argument at all
In real dollars Brassard is only costing like 3 million (IIRC) for the next 3 years with the hope that White and/or Brown will take his spot in the lineup when his contract is up. At least I think that's how the front office views it.

The thing with Zibanejad is I'm glad he's fitting in with NYR but imo he was never going to reach his potential in Ottawa. With his size and tools he was always the kind of guy who you thought was going to reach the next level but he just never did.

50 in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 in 07 View Post
In real dollars Brassard is only costing like 3 million (IIRC) for the next 3 years with the hope that White and/or Brown will take his spot in the lineup when his contract is up. At least I think that's how the front office views it.

The thing with Zibanejad is I'm glad he's fitting in with NYR but imo he was never going to reach his potential in Ottawa. With his size and tools he was always the kind of guy who you thought was going to reach the next level but he just never did.
He was 22 when he played his last game for Ottawa! 23 now, pretty unfair to expect someone to reach their potential at 22. He scored 50+ points at 22. He has gotten a little better every year. 46 points in 80 games in 2015, 51 points in 81 games in 2016 and 54 point pace this season(injured and only played 56 games). Brass costs Sens 3 mill this season and 3,5 next season and 3,5 in his last season of the contract.

Old
04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Voight
#winning

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDiary View Post
Brassard isn't a 40 point player, I expect him to put up ~60 again next season. He's also much more useful defensively

I don't think you can judge this trade after 1 season.
He's scored 40 points more often than he's scored 60, so i wouldn't count on it.

Voight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:05 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voight View Post
He's scored 40 points more often than he's scored 60, so i wouldn't count on it.
I think he can score 50 again but no doubt Zuccarello was the guy that created the offense on the Brass-Zucc line in NY. Wasnt a coincidence Brass had the two best seasons in his career with Zuccarello on his wing.

Old
04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 100
Zibanejad was not going to work out in Ottawa.

He had zero off season motivation to improve himself, often spending more time on his hobbies (like DJ'ing) than focusing on hockey.

The trade was likely a bit of a kick in the pants for him though, and so he will see some improvement as a result of that.

Basically the trade is roughly a win-win. You can argue the complementary pieces in the trade, but for Brassard and Zib, well that part worked out for both sides I think.

And we'll see how Brassard does in the playoffs before we can really judge.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voight View Post
He should be good for 50 next season.

Sensinitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Hale The Villain

Huge mistake.

Traded the better, bigger, faster, younger center that hasn't finished developing, and threw in a 2nd, as if it wasn't bad enough already. In 3 years when Brassard's contract is up, the Sens will make the decision to let Brassard walk or re-sign the 32 year old to a career finishing contract; meanwhile the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad in his prime and a good prospect (selected with the 2018 2nd). Let's not pretend that isn't a major loss for Ottawa in the long-term.

Sens fans take sour grapes to a new level. Zibanejad was a budding young top 2 center when he was in Ottawa, now he's a lazy, unmotivated bum that won't ever improve

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Menzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Huge mistake.

Traded the better, bigger, faster, younger center that hasn't finished developing, and threw in a 2nd, as if it wasn't bad enough already. In 3 years when Brassard's contract is up, the Sens will make the decision to let Brassard walk or re-sign the 32 year old to a career finishing contract; meanwhile the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad in his prime and a good prospect (selected with the 2018 2nd). Let's not pretend that isn't a major loss for Ottawa in the long-term.

Sens fans take sour grapes to a new level. Zibanejad was a budding young top 2 center when he was in Ottawa, now he's a lazy, unmotivated bum that won't ever improve
Yeah, this was a questionable trade the second it happened, didn't need to wait this long to figure it out

Menzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Super Cake

vCash: 804
The thing is, Bouchers system has really dried up the offense for all of our players.

While Brassard hasn't done anything, i really doubt Zibanejad would be able to do anything either offensively.

Anyone who says otherwise haven't watched the Sens this year and how Boucher wants the Sens to play.

I wouldn't have made the trade myself, but Zibanejad wouldn't have made this team a better goal scoring team.

Super Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:03 PM
major major

Not a great trade for either team. But I understand the Sens reasoning that Zibby didn't have the kind of drive that high-end players have to improve. They didn't want him around it seems and got a cheaper player back with a great playoff resume.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:08 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake Is A Lie View Post
The thing is, Bouchers system has really dried up the offense for all of our players.

While Brassard hasn't done anything, i really doubt Zibanejad would be able to do anything either offensively.

Anyone who says otherwise haven't watched the Sens this year and how Boucher wants the Sens to play.

I wouldn't have made the trade myself, but Zibanejad wouldn't have made this team a better goal scoring team.
Hoffman with a career year in points, Turris scoring at his usual pace and Stone scoring slightly less than his last two seasons.

Old
04-14-2017, 08:09 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Not a great trade for either team. But I understand the Sens reasoning that Zibby didn't have the kind of drive that high-end players have to improve. They didn't want him around it seems and got a cheaper player back with a great playoff resume.
It was great for us. Got a young 50+ point center for Brassard. Im very happy with it. Helps us stay competetive longterm. Would easily make that trade again!

Old
04-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
Yeah, this was a questionable trade the second it happened, didn't need to wait this long to figure it out
I mean... it's questionable if you don't know much about hockey or didn't watch Ottawa play last year.

Zibanejad disappeared for long stretches. He was an inconsistent scorer, not very good defensively, not very good as a centerman (Turris and Pageau could still be effective as centers while not scoring).

So our GM tried to look for a cheap and fast upgrade. Brassard sucked ass for the first 1/2 but he's been much better in the second half.

I much prefer him to Zibanejad last year. Zibanejad's not a bad player - if we had center depth there would have been no need to make a trade because we could have stuck him on the wing. But we had and have too many wingers who can score inconsistently.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 03:27 AM
50 in 07

Quote:
Hoffman with a career year in points, Turris scoring at his usual pace and Stone scoring slightly less than his last two seasons.
Hoffman's career year was by a whopping two points and his goals went down, but that's besides the point.

Ottawa went from 8th in GF last year to 22nd this year which is what he was referring to.

50 in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 03:46 AM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
Yes it was a bad trade just like ottawa gave away Silfverberg and lehner.
Silverberg trade hated then hate even more now. Lehner however was a big unknown Lehner didn't really have a future here, he clearly wasn't happy to play with the Sens as well, and he hasn't been spectacular with the Sabres either, as they play a system that inflates Sv%. White looks to be a very promising player and will make a better impact than Lehner. Oh did I mention the Sabres had to take a cap dump in the deal as well, without the cap dump, Sens might have gotten even more.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 03:50 AM
Paralyzer008

Brassard is an underrated two-way C, at least in the role Boucher put him in. I wouldn't go as far as to say that "he's our best forward" or anything, but he's underrated.

2015-16 he had a gross possession year but he's posted three straight years at above average on his team - around 52% in 2014-15 (a key player that was part of the Rangers run to game 7 in round 3).

Zibanejad was above average on NYR this year but I don't think his two-way ceiling matches Brassard's. He has more dynamic offensively, although inconsistent. Is it worth the extra 2nd rounder? Maybe not as Brassard ages, but this trade looks fine to be for both teams for now.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 04:32 AM
trick9

vCash: 701
The difference in systems certainly doesn't affect Brassard's production. From top-4 offense to bottom-10 one that plays a trapping style.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:36 AM
Devils Dominion
We'll miss you Julie

Ottawa clearly lost value in the trade.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 07:00 AM
topshelf15

Meh Zibby is what he is ,as is Brassard .Both are good players ,but neither are front line centers .Which is what both teams need ,we made the deal .In hopes that maybe we have drafted one in White or Brown ,Brassard provides basically what Zibby did with cost certainty for us,this is why the deal was made .

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote