HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was the Brassard trade an under the radar mistake?

Old
04-15-2017, 07:49 AM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Brassard finished the season with 2 more points than Zibanejad despite playing 25 more games.

To top it off Brassard is 6 years older and the Sens paid an extra 2nd rounder in the deal.

How do you think the trade worked out?
It was a terrible trade from day one for Ottawa. Player for Player they are similar quality. The fact that NYR got years of prime time hockey and a 2nd rounder just make it a really bad trade for Ottawa.

I love the fact that they claimed that bringing in a left hand shot would really help Ryan and the powerplay. So how did that work out for Ottawa?

Said it from day one.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 12:08 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Brassard is an underrated two-way C, at least in the role Boucher put him in. I wouldn't go as far as to say that "he's our best forward" or anything, but he's underrated.

2015-16 he had a gross possession year but he's posted three straight years at above average on his team - around 52% in 2014-15 (a key player that was part of the Rangers run to game 7 in round 3).

Zibanejad was above average on NYR this year but I don't think his two-way ceiling matches Brassard's. He has more dynamic offensively, although inconsistent. Is it worth the extra 2nd rounder? Maybe not as Brassard ages, but this trade looks fine to be for both teams for now.
Why do people keep saying Zibanajd is inconsistent? He scored at a much higher pace than Brassard this season. If Zib is inconsistent, what is Brassard? Zib isnt inconsistent, he is a 50-55 point center. Pretty much everyone in the NHL are inconsistent except for the top scorers.

WesMcCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 12:10 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
It was a terrible trade from day one for Ottawa. Player for Player they are similar quality. The fact that NYR got years of prime time hockey and a 2nd rounder just make it a really bad trade for Ottawa.

I love the fact that they claimed that bringing in a left hand shot would really help Ryan and the powerplay. So how did that work out for Ottawa?

Said it from day one.
i agree and i think they are pretty even players(but Zib was easier the better player this season) but for a Sens team that wanna save money, why not trade Zib for a similar aged player or an even younger player. When you are a cap team, the dumbest thing you can do is trade away players in their RFA years.

Last edited by WesMcCauley: 04-15-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old
04-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

vCash: 50
The trade was bad then and it still is for Ottawa.

04-15-2017, 12:54 PM
HZH
LessBoroMoreClaesson

Ottawa got bent over. You package a player like Zibby for a Duchene/Drouin type player. Not Brassard.

HZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 12:59 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Ottawa clearly lost value in the trade.
Ah yes, the old "asset management" argument.

I'd say it was a win-win trade. Brassard is a much smarter player, and a better overall fit for Ottawa. Zibanejad has all the tools but no toolbox. I'm not convinced he will ever become the player everyone thinks he will become.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 01:02 PM
RebelBully

Bad trade for Ottawa then. Bad trade for Ottawa now.

RebelBully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 01:06 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Meh. Rangers got better value but I think Brassard brings more to the team than Zibanejad would have at the moment. Sens sacrificed youth for a better fit. Not nearly as bad as some try to make it out to be.

I think Ottawa looked at how they were structured down the middle and felt that they could move Zibanejad for a more experienced player. I think the idea is that by the time Brassard's contract is done, Brown and/or White will be ready to take on a top 6 role. Then you have Pageau who is already be a very valuable member of the team filling the #3C role.

Last edited by MrCraigAnderson: 04-15-2017 at 01:17 PM.
MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

I thought it was a dumb trade for Ottawa but maybe the experience was what they were looking for. Still, I wouldn't have made that trade. Z is faster, just as big and has better skill IMO. Still, both made the playoffs so there are things other than numbers on these trades that make the GM do them. Having said that, I still think it was a dumb trade for Ottawa.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 02:20 PM
50 in 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCraigAnderson View Post
Meh. Rangers got better value but I think Brassard brings more to the team than Zibanejad would have at the moment. Sens sacrificed youth for a better fit. Not nearly as bad as some try to make it out to be.

I think Ottawa looked at how they were structured down the middle and felt that they could move Zibanejad for a more experienced player. I think the idea is that by the time Brassard's contract is done, Brown and/or White will be ready to take on a top 6 role. Then you have Pageau who is already be a very valuable member of the team filling the #3C role.
Pretty much this, I'm find with the trade in principle (Zibanejad for an older, better, more established player) because it was clear that Turris/Zib down the middle wasn't working out. And because White and Brown are in the pipeline. But in this case the value was just terrible. Throwing in the 2nd rounder was especially brutal.

50 in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 02:57 PM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 in 07 View Post
Hoffman's career year was by a whopping two points and his goals went down, but that's besides the point.

Ottawa went from 8th in GF last year to 22nd this year which is what he was referring to.
No he didnt. He said Bouchers system has dried up the offense for all of your players, which is simply false. I know how they play and Bouchers style, i watched maybe 50 of their 82 reg season games this season, Sens is my favorite team in the east after NYR. I want them to be good.

Old
04-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Machinehead
Weidmanns Heil

It sucked for the Rangers

All Zibanejad does is miss the net by 40 feet

04-15-2017, 05:40 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Thanks for the jinx thread. Clutch game tying goal to set up the comeback.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 05:47 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldelaget View Post
Why do people keep saying Zibanajd is inconsistent? He scored at a much higher pace than Brassard this season. If Zib is inconsistent, what is Brassard? Zib isnt inconsistent, he is a 50-55 point center. Pretty much everyone in the NHL are inconsistent except for the top scorers.
And Brassard is usually around the same types of numbers.We moved on at the dollars we wanted to pay for that production ,we need a number 1 not a number 2 .So why would we try to buy UFA years from a center like Zib when we can get more or less the same at 3.5 mil a season??

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 375
I'm good with Big Game Brass

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:19 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
I'm good with Big Game Brass
Is that what you saw from him today?

thomashefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It sucked for the Rangers

All Zibanejad does is miss the net by 40 feet
Zibanejad is good but I think that game last night showed why he's probably better suited on the wing.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Karl Eriksson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashefe View Post
Is that what you saw from him today?
His goal was huge.

Old
04-15-2017, 08:37 PM
JD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
Rangers won the trade overall, but I thought the Sens would have gotten more out of Brassard for this season. In 2-3 years it will look completely lopsided.
I'm not so sure Brassard's numbers being down are a big deal. almost every players numbers are down. under the boucher system they went from a top 10 scoring team to a bottom 10. I thought Brassard would pit up better numbers for sure but having watched the entire season there's no one on Ottawa's roster that will get 60+ in that system other than EK.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 08:43 PM
JD1

Quote:
No he didnt. He said Bouchers system has dried up the offense for all of your players, which is simply false. I know how they play and Bouchers style, i watched maybe 50 of their 82 reg season games this season, Sens is my favorite team in the east after NYR. I want them to be good.
you watched 50 games? you get the sense that Boucher has a crush on Hoffman? ya Hoffman put up good numbers but playing on a #1 PP designed to run thru him as a shooter. Hoffman's 5 on 5 production was terrible. Bouchers system dried up the offence....that's reality

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Here I Pageau Again

While I'm disappointed in Brassards production (I expected 50-55 points and solid 2 way play), I think we got a player that fits better with our system and Zib I don't think would have done any better with Ottawa (in fact I think his production with Ottawa this year would be similar to what Brassard got). I am disappointed with Ottawa and their offensive production as a whole so I think it's slightly unfair to compare these two who played in very different environments.

I am very pleased with Brassards 2 way play, but he's not the perfect player and honestly would really make a wicked 3rd line C rather than 2nd line. At the end of the day, I don't really miss Zib but I'm slightly disappointed in Brassard (and we probably could have done better in a trade than this... but I'm not devastated or anything).

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:24 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
Did they really play out as expected? Brass scored 39 points in 81 games. Pretty sure all Sens fans was sure he would score 50-65 points. I thought he would brake 50 but not surprised he didnt because Zucc was easily the best player on his line when he had career years in NY. Zibanajad scored 37 points in 56 games this season
Is that 39pts really outside of what he usually gets? It's on the low side, but it's hard to quantify his maturity vs Zibanajad's immaturity. What does one player's maturity gain a team vs what a player's immaturity can cost them?

Zibanajad pts/g is good, but he's playing on a deeper team, and though I don't doubt he can repeat what he did this year, there are no guarantees. Lots of young players have great pts/g stretches but fail to do it over the long haul.

If Zibanajad played all 82 game and produced at the same rate, his point total would have been 54pts. A 15pt difference, significant, but not overwhelmingly OMG he's a superstar. If Zibanajad didn't get injured, and over the course of the 26 games he missed, went a little cold. The difference in points would probably be around 10. Not a huge difference between the two players.

Let's play what if? What if the trade didn't happen. Would Zibanajad have produced the same on a team that isn't as deep, playing with players maybe not as good? Would Brassard have produced better because of the same factors, better team, better linemates?

I don't know. Again, to me it seems like a pretty even trade. Both sides giving up something to get something different.

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:27 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
His goal was huge.
Yea his open net one timer was huge. He had a lot more to do with the goal that was scored against them.

thomashefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Karl Eriksson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashefe View Post
Yea his open net one timer was huge. He had a lot more to do with the goal that was scored against them.
> Zibby

Old
04-15-2017, 11:37 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I think both are quite happy. Strange timing for this thread.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote