HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was the Brassard trade an under the radar mistake?

Old
04-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Sayba

vCash: 500
Zibanejad to me is a huge dissapointment, Brassard is a much better player, down the line maybe it evens out but right now would rather have Brassard.

Zibanejad can't hit tht net, isn't physical, loses almost every battle on the boards. He can skate and is decent on face offs...

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Halla

Ottawa got hosed.

they moved the younger, more talented player and kicked in a 2nd just because they are sweethearts

Halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 3105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post
Ottawa got hosed.

they moved the younger, more talented player and kicked in a 2nd just because they are sweethearts
Lol literally no one who watches the Sens or Rangers believes this.

The Sens traded for Brassard on the premise that he was a big game, heart and soul kind of guy who takes his game to another level when all of the chips are down. And low and behold, he's lighting it up in the 1st round so far.

The Sens traded a young 50pt center because they felt he lacked the drive and consistency to be a core member of the top 6. He's a passenger with skills who won't hurt you defensively. Zibby has 0 pts and looks slightly more transparent than Casper so far in these playoffs. 13 mins and change TOI tonight. Until he learns how to use his body consistently, he's more of an enigma than a guy you build around.

The Sens got what they want, and the Rangers now see why the Sens traded a young 50pt second line center. The potential is there, but it's far from guaranteed that he ever figures it out. If he does, then the Sens might regret this somewhere down the road. But not today.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:21 AM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
Lol literally no one who watches the Sens or Rangers believes this.

The Sens traded for Brassard on the premise that he was a big game, heart and soul kind of guy who takes his game to another level when all of the chips are down. And low and behold, he's lighting it up in the 1st round so far.

The Sens traded a young 50pt center because they felt he lacked the drive and consistency to be a core member of the top 6. He's a passenger with skills who won't hurt you defensively. Zibby has 0 pts and looks slightly more transparent than Casper so far in these playoffs. 13 mins and change TOI tonight. Until he learns how to use his body consistently, he's more of an enigma than a guy you build around.

The Sens got what they want, and the Rangers now see why the Sens traded a young 50pt second line center. The potential is there, but it's far from guaranteed that he ever figures it out. If he does, then the Sens might regret this somewhere down the road. But not today.
Exactly this. Pretty much every Ranger fan at this point would rather have Brassard back. Ok, actually quite a few still like this trade, but I'm not looking forward to signing Zibanejad long term which is likely.

Ragnarok14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:23 AM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post
Ottawa got hosed.

Brassard actually plays with passion and is a playoff performer. Z? Not so much... I would take that trade back 10/10 times, brassard is the better player.

Ragnarok14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Pocket Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok14 View Post
Exactly this. Pretty much every Ranger fan at this point would rather have Brassard back. Ok, actually quite a few still like this trade, but I'm not looking forward to signing Zibanejad long term which is likely.
This season he's making 3.25 in real money and has a cap hit of 2.65 which will obviously go up in the summer. I'd say likely is an understatement. Can't possibly see the Rangers letting Zbad go unless another team offer sheets him to something over 6 mil.

I think he'll make something around 5-5.5 per year but the question is how long will the Rangers sign him for? Do they try a 3-4 deal or go down the road of a 5-6 year deal?

Pocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:35 AM
WesMcCauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Dog View Post
This season he's making 3.25 in real money and has a cap hit of 2.65 which will obviously go up in the summer. I'd say likely is an understatement. Can't possibly see the Rangers letting Zbad go unless another team offer sheets him to something over 6 mil.

I think he'll make something around 5-5.5 per year but the question is how long will the Rangers sign him for? Do they try a 3-4 deal or go down the road of a 5-6 year deal?
Zib will not get 5+ million. Im guessing 4,5 million for 5 years.

WesMcCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Hockeyplayer99

If only Zib could put up points when it matters in the playoffs like Brass is. The Rangers would probably be up 3-1 in the series right now with Brass and not Zib

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Sensin5

Well we have learned that virtually all Ranger fans would rather have kept Brassard, Ottawa fans with some issues with "value" or the second, but most happy with tradeoff, and then we have the usual crowd of Ottawa haters say we got hosed. Who to believe? I wonder....

I was always, like most fans, a big Zib booster and still like him as a player and hope he reaches his potential, but was too often left wanting more. Brassard, even with a low point season, is proving to be exactly as promised in the games that matter. Happy indeed.

Sensin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:29 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldelaget View Post
Zib will not get 5+ million. Im guessing 4,5 million for 5 years.
Guy could go for a short deal to try and cash in on a non-injured year. Sign for two years at 3mil per for example to try and get a couple 50-60 pt seasons for that 5-6million per contract.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Another big game tonight by Brass. He and Ryan have been the best forwards by far in this series so far.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:18 PM
playasRus

Still a mistake?

Old
04-20-2017, 09:21 PM
HZH
LessBoroMoreClaesson

i only watched the OT, but Mika was flying. and deservedly got the winner.

HZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Zibanejad GOAT

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:22 PM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
If only Zib could put up points when it matters in the playoffs like Brass is. The Rangers would probably be up 3-1 in the series right now with Brass and not Zib
funny you should mention that...

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:51 PM
possesthepuck

Yeah really nice goal. That was a difficult play to make.

possesthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Kamina
Amok

(Sens fan with a Zibanejad jersey) It's a win-win trade. Playoff Brassard is doing wonders for the Sens, who also have Colin White and Logan Brown on the come up. Zibanejad fits better on the Rangers.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:07 AM
Real Smart Sens Fan

Brassard has been in on 50% of the Sens offense, Zibanejad has been in on about 30% of the Rangers offense (both tied for the best on their team).

I point this stat out not because of the contextually inconsequential % difference between Brass and Zibanejad above, but because of the contextually consequential fact that Mika and Brass have both played key roles in getting their respective teams to 3 wins.

Real Smart Sens Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:20 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Happy for Zibanejad!

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Curufinwe

Seems like a pretty even trade.

Obviously, the Sens got the much older player but they have young center prospects on the way that can compensate. And the main focus of that organization has to be doing whatever it takes to get Karlsson to re-sign long term.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:32 PM
6foot6

Leaf fan here (who doesn't hate the Sens) but I thought it was terrible move by the Sens. Gave up a younger player with more potential and then added to it?

Turns out I was wrong, at worst this is even currently, and if Brassard continues to play like this as the Sens go further, then I think Sens get the edge.

6foot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Awesome to see Zibby have such a great game last night. Will always be happy for my half-Persian brother from another mother when he finds success.

Unfortunately it's those games, the ones where he seems so engaged and comes up big offensively, that are part of his real problem; you know that he's capable of playing like Kopitar when hes going, but it only happens every so often, and is as streaky as they come.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Rhaegar Targaryen

I'll wait until after next season to comment on the trade. Brassard has come up big in the playoffs so far, but he also only put up 39 points in the regular season. I want to see how he does next season and see if Zibanejad can break out finally.

Rhaegar Targaryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Section32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensinitis View Post
Zibanejad is a passenger, Brassard drives the play.

That's the main difference between the two and the main reason for the trade.

Brassard is also a much smarter player, and plays quicker.
I absolutely love Brass, but MZ is still developing and considering his age, is a much better fit with the Rangers long term.

I miss the three amigos- Hagelin, Brass and Zuccerello - they were fun to watch...

Regardless, I don't think you will find a single Ranger fan tonight that would undo the deal.

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 03:30 PM
playasRus

Say Zibanejad scores 10 pts this series to Brassard 1pt series winner and Ottawa advances. Or say Zibanejad scores 0 points to Brassard's 10 points but NYR advance.

Who wins the trade?

I'm only bringing it up because of the whole "judge the trade on this series" topic coming up so much. It's pretty unlikely to settle the trade winner to be honest. Both my be invisble. Both might show up.