HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and champion Colorado Eagles (ECHL) offseason

Old
04-14-2017, 11:44 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
2017 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and champion Colorado Eagles (ECHL) offseason

Was waiting for something good enough to start the new thread with. There's one more Rampage game but we don't need to worry about that.

Greer accepted the Yanick Dupre AHL Man of the Year Award tonight.

Round 1

Quote:
Game 1 – Idaho at Colorado – Friday, April 14 at 7:05pm L 4-2
Game 2 – Idaho at Colorado – Saturday, April 15 at 7:05pm W 2-1 OT
Game 3 – Colorado at Idaho – Wednesday, April 19 at 7:05pm W 4-2
Game 4 – Colorado at Idaho – Friday, April 21 at 7:05pm W 6-5 OT
Game 5* – Colorado at Idaho – Saturday, April 22 at 7:05pm W 6-3
Game 6* – Idaho at Colorado – Tuesday, April 25 at 7:05pm N/A
Game 7* – Idaho at Colorado – Wednesday, April 26 at 7:05pm N/A
Round 2

Quote:
Fri. Apr 28, 2017 - 7:05PM | COL @ ALN W
Sat. Apr 29, 2017 - 7:05PM | COL @ ALN W
Wed. May 03, 2017 - 7:05PM | ALN @ COL W
Thu. May 04, 2017 - 7:05PM | ALN @ COL L
Sun. May 07, 2017 - 3:05PM* | ALN @ COL L
Tue. May 09, 2017 - 7:05PM* | COL @ ALN W
Wed. May 10, 2017 - 7:05PM* | COL @ ALN N/A
Round 3

Quote:
Fri. May 12, 2017 - 7:35PM | COL @ TOL
Sat. May 13, 2017 - 7:35PM | COL @ TOL
Wed. May 17, 2017 - 7:05PM | TOL @ COL
Fri. May 19, 2017 - 7:05PM | TOL @ COL
Sat. May 20, 2017 - 7:05PM* | TOL @ COL
Mon. May 22, 2017 - 7:35PM* | COL @ TOL
Wed. May 24, 2017 - 7:35PM* | COL @ TOL

Last edited by tigervixxxen; 06-19-2017 at 08:23 PM..
tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Great stuff on AJ Greer. He is just an incredibly impressive person at age 20.

First pro season and he is an AHL All Star game representative and the recipient of the AHL Man of the Year Award.

I know that he slowed down with his offensive production in the latter half of the season, but I think he is up with the Avs permanently next season.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:41 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I did a quick calculation that the Rampage were like 22-25 before Gelinas arrived 5-23 since. I know one person can't cause all that by himself but that's kind of a contrast. I think the vets stopped caring by late Jan. They were fairly healthy and has the good pieces in February when they didn't win a single game. They have now put their resources into the Eagles for their playoff game. Last game tonight, the only hope I have is they give Josh Anderson a game and not an ECHLer on tryout.

This is what happens when you treat your AHL affiliate like a trash can

Last edited by tigervixxxen; 04-15-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old
04-15-2017, 07:56 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I did a quick calculation that the Rampage were like 22-25 before Gelinas arrived 5-23 since. I know one person can't cause all that by himself but that's kind of a contrast. I think the vets stopped caring by late Jan. They were fairly healthy and has the good pieces in February when they didn't win a single game. They have now put their resources into the Eagles for their playoff game. Last game tonight, the only hope I have is they give Josh Anderson a game and not an ECHLer on tryout.

This is what happens when you treat your AHL affiliate like a trash can

The tank was on....WOW.

CalderKing21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Been slacking on my Eagles posts lately haha.

"Highlights" from game 1 loss:

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...-eagles-game-1

Highlights from Game 2 OT win:

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...n-series-idaho

Playoff hockey!!!!

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles win game 3 4-2 with goals from Nantel, St. Amant and Belzile.

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...es-lead-game-3

No video recap from Idaho. BOOOOOO Idaho!

Old
04-20-2017, 03:43 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 View Post
Eagles win game 3 4-2 with goals from Nantel, St. Amant and Belzile.

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...es-lead-game-3

No video recap from Idaho. BOOOOOO Idaho!
Aw that's too bad, I saw some of the game and the Eagles looked fantastic, dominant. Glad to see the Avs prospects contribute too.

Old
04-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles down 4-0 in the 2nd period and then down 5-2 with 2:28 left in the 3rd period. Nantel scores to make it 5-3. Belzile scores with 1:59 left. 5-4. Register scores with 9 seconds left on the clock to tie it up. Belzile wins it 41 seconds into OT. Unbelievable.

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...eat-idaho-game

I'll try to get some video later today.

Old
04-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Highlights from game 4:

Old
04-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Happy for Eagles fans. Sounds like a fun series and entertaining hockey.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles finally make it past the first round for the first time in 6 years, beating Idaho 6-3 and taking the series 4 games to 1. Nantel with his 3rd goal in 3 games and Belzile with 9 points is 2nd in the playoff scoring race.

Reporter-Herald article:

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...ffs-first-time

Old
04-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Great job Eagles, love those lower leagues. Guys always play hard.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
The tank was on....WOW.
Those are some great stats Mr Weiss. What you also fail to mention, is how many AHL players were being consistently called up to Colorado, how many players were ALSO injured or returning, how many call-ups SAR had themselves from their feeder teams.

Talk about kicking them when they are down, jeez.

So - over - the -mire.

I saw a lot of players go through that team and develop into potential NHL talent. Compher is gold. Greer was gold. Lindholm was absolutely satisfactory, Siemens I thought played ok, Grimaldi was amazing in my opinion etc etc etc.

Give SOME credit where it's due, please, Dan Weiss

Sea Eagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:43 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Eagles View Post
Those are some great stats Mr Weiss. What you also fail to mention, is how many AHL players were being consistently called up to Colorado, how many players were ALSO injured or returning, how many call-ups SAR had themselves from their feeder teams.

Talk about kicking them when they are down, jeez.

So - over - the -mire.

I saw a lot of players go through that team and develop into potential NHL talent. Compher is gold. Greer was gold. Lindholm was absolutely satisfactory, Siemens I thought played ok, Grimaldi was amazing in my opinion etc etc etc.

Give SOME credit where it's due, please, Dan Weiss

The Rampage had every single one of those guys mentioned, plus Bigras, Girard, and Bourque for the entire month of February and went 1-8-0-1, taking 3 out of a possible 20 points.

The development of 2 or 3 guys is nice, but the team was a dumpster fire for the last 10 weeks of the season. Their big guns were relatively healthy and it wasn't until the last month or so that callups really affected the lineup.

Also not sure why Dan is getting called out for posting their record, which is black and white fact. He interjected zero opinion and you still want to call him out.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
If the Colorado Avalanche had somebody of Dan Weiss' caliber covering them we would be in for an absolute treat. The guy is great.

Old
04-24-2017, 02:13 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Also, nobody outside SA would have had a clue they were that bad unless it was pointed out. They straight up tanked in a league which there's no reason or reward for tanking. People need to know that's how bad our organization has affected another's.

Old
04-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Listening to the latest Running with the Herd podcast was very disheartening but thankfully honest. The owners of the Rampage are pissed with the Avs org for the way they have been losing STH due to the inept of the Avs. This is why I am against the current FO as a majority returning this season. I get they tried this year with the free agents but it was band-aid on the larger issue that the current FO doesn't know what to do with an AHL affiliate. If the Eagles are promoted to the AHL I'll feel bad for their fans as I'm sure we'll ruin them too.

Old
04-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Listening to the latest Running with the Herd podcast was very disheartening but thankfully honest. The owners of the Rampage are pissed with the Avs org for the way they have been losing STH due to the inept of the Avs. This is why I am against the current FO as a majority returning this season. I get they tried this year with the free agents but it was band-aid on the larger issue that the current FO doesn't know what to do with an AHL affiliate. If the Eagles are promoted to the AHL I'll feel bad for their fans as I'm sure we'll ruin them too.
That scares the hell out of me. At least it won't happen next year. Maybe things will change by then. At the very least maybe the Avs FO could learn some lessons from the Eagles FO......

Old
04-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Also, nobody outside SA would have had a clue they were that bad unless it was pointed out. They straight up tanked in a league which there's no reason or reward for tanking. People need to know that's how bad our organization has affected another's.
How did the Avs affect them? It sounds like they were healthy, had all their big guns, and were still losing.

I didn't follow the Rampage closely, but are we sure a lot of this doesn't fall on EV possibly losing the room? He didn't do so well in his last AHL stint. Finished second to last if I remember correct. Maybe his demanding approach doesn't work outside junior?

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 05:57 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
How did the Avs affect them? It sounds like they were healthy, had all their big guns, and were still losing.

I didn't follow the Rampage closely, but are we sure a lot of this doesn't fall on EV possibly losing the room? He didn't do so well in his last AHL stint. Finished second to last if I remember correct. Maybe his demanding approach doesn't work outside junior?
Not when the young guys developed under him more than they have before and somehow though all this they still played hard every night.

Old
04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Not when the young guys developed under him more than they have before and somehow though all this they still played hard every night.
The development aspect might just be further proof that Dean was terrible in this area.

What was causing them to lose so many games? Could they just not score or something?

Old
04-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
The development aspect might just be further proof that Dean was terrible in this area.

What was causing them to lose so many games? Could they just not score or something?
Veterans and the PP...sound familiar?

Old
04-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Veterans and the PP...sound familiar?
Actually their lack of scoring in general sounds familiar, that's why I asked about it. Looks like they were 3rd last in the league in goals for. Not sure how they stack up in 5 on 5 scoring.

I wonder how much of that is connected to running Bednar's system, that he's always had trouble bringing offensive out of, even when he was in the AHL.

Old
04-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
The Rampage had every single one of those guys mentioned, plus Bigras, Girard, and Bourque for the entire month of February and went 1-8-0-1, taking 3 out of a possible 20 points.

The development of 2 or 3 guys is nice, but the team was a dumpster fire for the last 10 weeks of the season. Their big guns were relatively healthy and it wasn't until the last month or so that callups really affected the lineup.

Also not sure why Dan is getting called out for posting their record, which is black and white fact. He interjected zero opinion and you still want to call him out.
Apart from the games against the Condors and Griffins, there was really absolutely no blowouts whatsoever.

At the end of the season, Grimaldi, Compher, Lindholm, Siemens were all out. Maybe Lindholm was that calming influence the team needed.

Also bare in mind, this team was basically constructed from scratch at the beginning of the season, with a completely new coach, new system & everything else.

Exactly the same as The Avs.

But no-one wants to say that is reason enough for the team to need time to acclimatize? To understand new systems. Avs leaned on its farm system quite a lot this year as well. Then, there was a run of horrible injuries for SAR.

Both club's need to look at this season for what it was. Year one of a re-build, re-boot for both. Try and find positives. Everyone knows the clubs records - they weren't great - but just repeating them was meant to achieve what? Congratulations?

I'd rather hear about how Grimaldi tore apart the AHL. Things that give fans hope.

I'm not having a go at you. Things are the way they are for BOTH clubs. It's happened. Let's move on, forward, positively. No need for him to keep bandying up all the negativity.

Sea Eagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:04 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Dan has been very complimentary of Rocco all season. He tracked his pursuit for 30 quite a bit on twitter. He also tweeted several times over the course of the season about how many man-games lost to injury the Rampage had this season. He also plugged the hell out of AJ's Man of the Year Award. He gives credit where credit is due.

This tweet was sent out the day of the final game of the season. For Rampage fans, nothing in his tweet was surprising info. But it may have surprised some fans who don't follow the AHL closely. Dan is awesome at what he does. He highlights the highs AND lows, like a good broadcaster should. We don't need a cheerleader. We need an honest voice who tells it like it is. That's what makes him one of the best in the AHL.

Regarding the rest of your post:

We can go back and forth all day regarding the Rampage season. But in the end, it's just another dismal failure in a long line of dismal seasons. They have an awful track record with their AHL team and don't seem to have any desire to hold anyone accountable for that.

Yes, a team needs an adjustment period. This was a major overhaul over the summer and even the guys that did return needed to learn a whole new system. That said, these are pro athletes and I would expect them to adjust a lot quicker than December, and I believe they did.

The problem this season was roster construction. They went out and signed a bunch of players on July 1st BEFORE they had a coach in place. Three of those signings were traded away (Stanton, Whitney, Sislo) and one (J. Smith) played 17 games in San Antonio. They had no puck movers on the blue line once Bigras went down, and even when he came back, he was bad until about March.

Other teams lose players to NHL promotions. WBS was the best team in the league and basically had a shuttle set up to Pittsburgh. For good AHL teams, you can't use that as an excuse every single year. It's the nature of minor league sports.

The Rampage were a .500 hockey team during the most difficult time of their season (injuries, callups). Then, they won 6 games over their final 30 games when most guys were healthy. That's flat out failure no matter how you spin it. Lindholm was fine here, but I don't even think he was our best defenseman. The Compher loss hurt, but good teams find ways around losing a guy like that. You make adjustments and you find guys to fill the spot.

The Avs haven't shown the ability to do that, either through lack of foresight or lack of identity. I'm not sure which it is, but the fans are voicing their displeasure by leaving, and nothing our PxP guy says on Twitter affects that one way or the other.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote