HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and champion Colorado Eagles (ECHL) offseason

Old
04-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Eagles View Post
Apart from the games against the Condors and Griffins, there was really absolutely no blowouts whatsoever.

At the end of the season, Grimaldi, Compher, Lindholm, Siemens were all out. Maybe Lindholm was that calming influence the team needed.

Also bare in mind, this team was basically constructed from scratch at the beginning of the season, with a completely new coach, new system & everything else.

Exactly the same as The Avs.

But no-one wants to say that is reason enough for the team to need time to acclimatize? To understand new systems. Avs leaned on its farm system quite a lot this year as well. Then, there was a run of horrible injuries for SAR.

Both club's need to look at this season for what it was. Year one of a re-build, re-boot for both. Try and find positives. Everyone knows the clubs records - they weren't great - but just repeating them was meant to achieve what? Congratulations?

I'd rather hear about how Grimaldi tore apart the AHL. Things that give fans hope.

I'm not having a go at you. Things are the way they are for BOTH clubs. It's happened. Let's move on, forward, positively. No need for him to keep bandying up all the negativity.
God forbid someone with actual knowledge calls it like it is. Let's all rather bury our head in the sand.

I hope Dan, Nate and the rest of guys and gals continue to update us with objective assesments. Keep up the good work.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Dan has been very complimentary of Rocco all season. He tracked his pursuit for 30 quite a bit on twitter. He also tweeted several times over the course of the season about how many man-games lost to injury the Rampage had this season. He also plugged the hell out of AJ's Man of the Year Award. He gives credit where credit is due.

This tweet was sent out the day of the final game of the season. For Rampage fans, nothing in his tweet was surprising info. But it may have surprised some fans who don't follow the AHL closely. Dan is awesome at what he does. He highlights the highs AND lows, like a good broadcaster should. We don't need a cheerleader. We need an honest voice who tells it like it is. That's what makes him one of the best in the AHL.

Regarding the rest of your post:

We can go back and forth all day regarding the Rampage season. But in the end, it's just another dismal failure in a long line of dismal seasons. They have an awful track record with their AHL team and don't seem to have any desire to hold anyone accountable for that.

Yes, a team needs an adjustment period. This was a major overhaul over the summer and even the guys that did return needed to learn a whole new system. That said, these are pro athletes and I would expect them to adjust a lot quicker than December, and I believe they did.

The problem this season was roster construction. They went out and signed a bunch of players on July 1st BEFORE they had a coach in place. Three of those signings were traded away (Stanton, Whitney, Sislo) and one (J. Smith) played 17 games in San Antonio. They had no puck movers on the blue line once Bigras went down, and even when he came back, he was bad until about March.

Other teams lose players to NHL promotions. WBS was the best team in the league and basically had a shuttle set up to Pittsburgh. For good AHL teams, you can't use that as an excuse every single year. It's the nature of minor league sports.

The Rampage were a .500 hockey team during the most difficult time of their season (injuries, callups). Then, they won 6 games over their final 30 games when most guys were healthy. That's flat out failure no matter how you spin it. Lindholm was fine here, but I don't even think he was our best defenseman. The Compher loss hurt, but good teams find ways around losing a guy like that. You make adjustments and you find guys to fill the spot.

The Avs haven't shown the ability to do that, either through lack of foresight or lack of identity. I'm not sure which it is, but the fans are voicing their displeasure by leaving, and nothing our PxP guy says on Twitter affects that one way or the other.
Fantastic post!

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:15 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
If the Colorado Avalanche had somebody of Dan Weiss' caliber covering them we would be in for an absolute treat. The guy is great.
Quoted for truth

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Dan Wiess and the guy that covered Lake Erie are infinitely better than whoever Denver Post sends to watch the Avs. Shame our affiliate is always terrible so the good reporters are stuck with writing the same frustrating reports.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Dan Wiess and the guy that covered Lake Erie are infinitely better than whoever Denver Post sends to watch the Avs. Shame our affiliate is always terrible so the good reporters are stuck with writing the same frustrating reports.
They are the PxP guys so their job is a bit different. Dan tries to get more info than Doug did, he'll try to mention practice and such but what he can give out is still pretty limited as he works for the team. The local media in both Cleveland and especially SA is non-existent when it comes to hockey. They might have a couple articles a year. Compare Dan to the job Moser does, it's roughly comparable.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Doug Plagens... radio guy for Florida now.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 06:30 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Ranford Named RWtH Player of the Month

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2017, 11:48 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Some good news for once, Eagles just dominated first 2 games on the road against the defending champs. They have really gelled the guys provided from the Avs plus what they already had going on. Belzile is ECHL Jesus apparently he has 14 points in 7 games and all big goals. Hope they find a way to keep him in the org. His impact isn't as great at the AHL level but he's a hard worker, passionate and is a good depth guy to have. Also, our prospects are contributing as well. Nantel, St-Amant and Boikov are getting points and Geertsen is playing solid D. They should think about keeping St-Amant around too, he's only 20 and developed well this year. He might have other AHL opportunities if they don't lock him up.

Old
04-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Some good news for once, Eagles just dominated first 2 games on the road against the defending champs. They have really gelled the guys provided from the Avs plus what they already had going on. Belzile is ECHL Jesus apparently he has 14 points in 7 games and all big goals. Hope they find a way to keep him in the org. His impact isn't as great at the AHL level but he's a hard worker, passionate and is a good depth guy to have. Also, our prospects are contributing as well. Nantel, St-Amant and Boikov are getting points and Geertsen is playing solid D. They should think about keeping St-Amant around too, he's only 20 and developed well this year. He might have other AHL opportunities if they don't lock him up.
I really, really like all the prospects that are down here right now. Every one of them has gained confidence and started to show signs of dominance at this level. A guy like Nantel, that has been playing on the 3rd line, playing hard and doing what he's asked show buy-in with the coach and system, and coachability. These guys are a huge reason we are where we are right now. Abslolutely hope they all stay.

ECHL Jesus! He really is. 41 points in 24 total games with the Eagles this year. 18 goals in those 24 games, 5 of them GWG (one in playoff OT).

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

ECHL Jesus

Reporter-Herald article posted less than an hour after the game.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports...s-stranglehold

Old
05-04-2017, 12:29 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I was able to watch tonight. They got something special going on, I hope they can take it far.

Old
05-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Grackle Party
uninformed neophyte

Was that Joel Chouinard, former Av prospect, on the Americans?

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 09:39 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle Party View Post
Was that Joel Chouinard, former Av prospect, on the Americans?
Yeppers

Old
05-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles lost 4-1 last night. Bednar was sitting 2 rows behind me. I'm sure it was just a coincidence lol. Sakic was there on Wednesday and we won.

Old
05-05-2017, 08:01 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 View Post
Eagles lost 4-1 last night. Bednar was sitting 2 rows behind me. I'm sure it was just a coincidence lol. Sakic was there on Wednesday and we won.
Supposedly a dozen from the Avs org was there Wednesday.

I'm hoping to see a win on Sunday!

Old
05-06-2017, 01:34 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

I'm thinking of going Sunday, too. It's less than an hour from Boulder to get there.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the game experience if they do go to the game Sunday! I'm in section H. If you see 2 guys in the smoking area with long hair and Eagles hats smoking e-cigs, one of them is probably me lol.

Old
05-06-2017, 07:30 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

So disappointed to hear Belzile will be suspended ;( Geertsen too but they can survive without him for one game.

Old
05-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Quote:
So disappointed to hear Belzile will be suspended ;( Geertsen too but they can survive without him for one game.
Yes, that's really bad. The refs really let the game get out of hand.
Someone's gotta step up.

Old
05-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles lose game 5 by a score of 4-0.

First time the Eagles have been shut out at home (in the playoffs) in their 14 year history. Only the 3rd time at home including regular season. Belzile suspension hurt, but we lose this game even if he's out there, most likely.

Boikov didn't dress today, he hasn't played well with the minimal ice time he has been given. Several people around me were complaining about St, Amant and Nantel, but they had tons of energy and chances in the first. Avs prospects were some of the best players today.

Allens goalie was a sieve in the first 3 game and has decided to show up.

Allen's coach (and GM) Steve Martinson is way to good for this league. His team has won 15 straight playoff series and 4 straight league championships.

In the history of pro sports, only 6 teams have come back in a 7 game series when they were down 3-0. I hate to say this but I think the Eagles will be #7.

Old
05-07-2017, 09:03 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Yeah not a fun game to go to

How could anyone complain about Nantel? Yeah I'm biased but he was one of the few consistently making plays and with speed and one of the few players in the lineup today with puck skill. That's the advantage they have when they are winning, IMO is that they are operating with greater puck skill typical of a ECHL team. Today's lineup was much lower on the talent scale. I think Belzile would have made a big difference, just one goal in either of the first two periods and it's probably a different game.

Boikov I wonder if they only dress him when the Avs are watching. They could have used his physicality. I think he plays fine but I think he's better in the structure of the AHL, some guys just never look right in the ECHL even if they have a higher talent level.

I hope they can pull one out but I'm not feeling too great about it. At least Belzile would be back for game 7.

Old
05-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Quote:
Yeah not a fun game to go to

How could anyone complain about Nantel? Yeah I'm biased but he was one of the few consistently making plays and with speed and one of the few players in the lineup today with puck skill. That's the advantage they have when they are winning, IMO is that they are operating with greater puck skill typical of a ECHL team. Today's lineup was much lower on the talent scale. I think Belzile would have made a big difference, just one goal in either of the first two periods and it's probably a different game.

Boikov I wonder if they only dress him when the Avs are watching. They could have used his physicality. I think he plays fine but I think he's better in the structure of the AHL, some guys just never look right in the ECHL even if they have a higher talent level.

I hope they can pull one out but I'm not feeling too great about it. At least Belzile would be back for game 7.
Nantel complainers are just uninformed fans who are sore because their 36 year old hero Bootland didn't dress. IMO Bootland should be in the stands most of the playoffs.

I agree on the Boikov comment. Something different about the league or coaching system just doesn't jibe with his style. I doubt we will see him in the E next year anyway.

Game 6 Tuesday.

Old
05-09-2017, 08:19 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
TV brings up a great point re: Boikov, and it's something we saw with Mason last year too. The ECHL has almost no defensive structure and players who are used to playing within a system can struggle down there.

One of our guys at RWtH, spoke with someone last season who knows way more about this stuff than I do, and he basically called the ECHL "Shinny" which can lead to D-men picking up terrible habits. If Boikov is a system defenseman, it makes sense that he would go down there and struggle.

On top of that, he just wasn't very good the final month of the season in San Antonio either, so maybe he's hit a wall.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Avsrule2002
"No more rats"

Eagles win 4-3! On to the Conference Finals!

Old
05-09-2017, 09:46 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 View Post
Eagles win 4-3! On to the Conference Finals!
I caught some of the end, great way to finish it off!