HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

TIQ NBA vs NHL Playoff Prices

Old
04-15-2017, 07:10 PM
rkhum

vCash: 500
TIQ NBA vs NHL Playoff Prices

Any reason why, just taking a glance, the NBA playoffs have woefully smaller prices for tickets than the NHL?
Aside from Golden State, they are really low.
Spurs? 20 bucks.
Cavs? Under 40.

Is it ALWAYS this way?
It just seems weird the NBA and basketball are so much more popular, they crush the NHL in ratings, yet people won't pay?

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
The first and even second rounds of the NBA playoffs are irrelevant for the most part. The contenders are such heavy favourites that it makes the series relatively uninteresting.

If you compared the conference finals and championship series, it would probably be different.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 07:58 PM
USAUSA1

Believe it or not, NBA tickets always been cheaper due to the demographics. Of course Lakers and Knicks are the exception. Nhl audience are willing to spend money.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:28 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Believe it or not, NBA tickets always been cheaper due to the demographics. Of course Lakers and Knicks are the exception. Nhl audience are willing to spend money.
That and the fact that in general the hockey is a more expensive sport. Gear costs 10 times more. Ice times cost a lot while basketball you need some sun and a basketball, every public park has about 10 places where to play it.

Also to consider, but usually basketball configurations hold more people than NHL (smaller playing surface so more seats). In the big end, even charging less they still get comparable revenue per game.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:11 PM
funky11

The NHL is a better sport to watch live.

funky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 06:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky11 View Post
The NHL is a better sport to watch live.
I'd disagree. I'm a much bigger hockey fan than basketball fan, but I'd choose a NBA game over a NHL game to attend. Basketball games have more energy typically because more stuff happens, so it's just a lot more fun. Perhaps it's also because I'm not so big a basketball fan that I second guess everything and instead just enjoy the ride.

Regarding the prices, I think NHL tickets are simply extremely expensive. The NHL fan base is like a mix of white suburban families and their grown up kids i.e. white hipster young adults. They seem to have cash to burn.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Jonas1235

NBA doesn't have to have big prices...

NHL needs big prices because they do not have huge revenue streams outside of tickets, concessions, merch sold (sea of red).

Different priorities for each league. MLB also has low prices. I went to a Mariners game last year and sat 2 rows from the field on the side and it was $25.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 07:35 PM
USAUSA1

Baseball also have more games and a bigger stadium. Of course it's cheaper.

I don't think tv deals have any affect on ticket prices.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 10:09 AM
TOGuy14

Raptors seem to get some decent dollar for their tickets, even though we got a low spotlight draw like Milwaukee

Just using stubhub tickets for the games in TOR are going for $70 vs tickets in MIL going for $29

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 11:53 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
NBA doesn't have to have big prices...

NHL needs big prices because they do not have huge revenue streams outside of tickets, concessions, merch sold (sea of red).

Different priorities for each league. MLB also has low prices. I went to a Mariners game last year and sat 2 rows from the field on the side and it was $25.
This is it in a nutshell. With the NBA's national TV contract they can afford to not have insane prices since they're not a gate-driven league. The NHL on the other hand basically requires high prices for the playoffs for some teams to turn a profitable season (the one I follow included).

That allows the NBA to keep prices more in line with acceptable levels for their key demographics.

Plus, aside from maybe 1-2 series a year, the first round in the NBA is garbage. In the East it's basically a joke until you get to the conference finals.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 12:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
This is it in a nutshell. With the NBA's national TV contract they can afford to not have insane prices since they're not a gate-driven league. The NHL on the other hand basically requires high prices for the playoffs for some teams to turn a profitable season (the one I follow included).

That allows the NBA to keep prices more in line with acceptable levels for their key demographics.

Plus, aside from maybe 1-2 series a year, the first round in the NBA is garbage. In the East it's basically a joke until you get to the conference finals.
I assumed we were talking secondary market prices here. The teams don't dictate those, the market does. There is greater demand for hockey tickets than basketball.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 01:59 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Is there really any incentive for a fan in say Portland or Memphis to pay through the nose for tickets to a series that their team ultimately has no chance at winning?

For the most part, the 1st round of the NBA playoffs are terrible. If any league needs to cut down on a number of teams in the postseason, it's the NBA.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:04 PM
rkhum

I don’t know, if the argument is the NBA doesn’t need high prices because it’s gate driven, you are saying the NBA is leaving, voluntarly, money on the table.
I find it hard to believe. I think prices are a function of demand; meaning the NHL & NBA will price as high as they can.

My thinking was, is this just because the NBA first rounds are really boring moreso than anything?

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:11 PM
tony d
BMO

Yeah, NHL prices are out of hand. We priced a game in December in Edmonton. It was 275 dollars each. The NBA goes cheaper and will gain a lot more fans in the process.