HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Patrick Roy's name

Old
04-18-2017, 03:00 AM
WildGopher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I was looking for an autograph amongst many suitors, so i felt the need to call his attention. So i called out vertually Taffy but with an E like Taffe(The candy does not exist in Sweden and i now realise via google why the case was not obvious to you). So i called out the candy name at least five times, until an american lady beside me told me the real pronounciation. I got a real sense of shame, and becouse he surely must have heard it i came to tell him about the mishap, and it seemed like it had happened before. I was dressed in a Penguins jersey a couple of months after the 2009 cup so i still felt a bit ashamed i must say. The thought still gives me the creeps, but these things can be stressful so things can happen.
No need to be embarrassed by that at all. Pronunciations vary. As a matter of fact, where I'm from (just a few miles from Taffe's hometown, in fact), the candy is pronounced like his name, not like in some places, where it rhymes with "coffee." I think most people realize there are regional variations in pronunciation, and that the English language isn't very consistent with its spelling or sounds, so they're cool about it. Taffe had one of those up-and-down careers between the big leagues and the minors, not a big star, so he probably felt honored you knew his name! I find hockey players - and hockey people in general - are more relaxed with fans than you see in other sports, so I'm sure he was fine with it.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:59 PM
DJ Man

I knew that the French pronunciation of "Roi" was something like "Rrrwah," but the "Roy" spelling confused me when I first saw it before hearing it.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I once called Jeff Taffe you know what right in his face more than one time.
Oh boy, the things I was imagining you calling him

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:28 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yeah, or in the infamous HNIC Alpo Suhonen comments, derisively suggesting the guy as a Coach about on par with dog food in using a food analogy..... Punch Imlach with Frank Mahovlich... pronouncing it in every way possible but the right way (which is pretty straightforward - Mahovlich)... Mahollowitch.... Mawlavic... Mahojavick etc and all quite deliberately disrespectful. Not everyone obviously anglacized their surnames when either they, their parents or Grandparents emigrated to Canada... and like all new waves of immigrants becoming sometimes the targets of those who had arrived earlier. Particularly so during the late 40's & into the 50's following the War, a lot of Eastern Europeans, Poles, Hungarians, Croats & so on. Made to feel unwelcome, DP's (Displaced Persons), Italians referred to as WOP's (Without Papers)... all through no fault of their own of course. Their homelands destroyed, smoking ruins, great many being persecuted, fled for the lives. Non-citizens in the lands of their forefathers & now 2nd Class Citizens in the New World? For a sensitive & proud guy like Mahovlich, constant insult, persecution of a kind that never ended, clearly had no place in society nor in the game but exist it did. Cherry enjoys being called a Redneck and thats fine. Rednecks a hardworker. He's a hardworker. Fits him, fits Imlach & others. In actual fact their Xenophobes. Old School Upper Canadian Xenophobes.
the ethnic thing is quite subtle and hard to see now, but i imagined it definitely would have been heard loud and clear by mahovlich (and his teammates, journalists, anyone listening to interviews on the radio) in the 60s.

with cherry, i also wonder if he was dyslexic or had another kind of learning disability that instead of being really careful about he went the other way and exaggerated... hiding it behind the cover of mild animus towards european and french-canadian players. i remember some of those names... one time he said artis aroobee and then chuckled because he even surprised himself.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Patrick Roy is hard to pronounce because it contains two french R's, one in Patrick and one in Roy, which are very close to each other in the pronunciation.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Patrick Roy is hard to pronounce because it contains two french R's, one in Patrick and one in Roy, which are very close to each other in the pronunciation.
For me, the more difficult part is actually the "RW" consonant cluster, which really doesn't exist in English in any way that I can think of. Uvular consonants show up in other places - mainly in South African or Scottish accents.

Last edited by Johnny Engine: 04-19-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Thought about it some more - not the best examples
Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:41 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
By the way, Don Cherry makes no apologies for purposely mispronouncing names.
How about Monday night with Kuznetsov:

"This guy, what's his name, Zakanov?"

Embarrassing. Even if Kuznetsov deserved it this one time.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote