HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - The Team Czech Thread (The Official Olympics Thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2006, 08:20 AM
  #51
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Midway through the first period, Zidlicky slammed into a goalpost and his right knee appeared to take the brunt of the collision after backchecking an Italian forward. The Nashville Predators defenseman grimaced as he went to the bench. He returned later in the period, played in the second and rested in the third as the team had a comfortable lead.

Weissman said Zidlicky was taken out so that he could play the rest of the Olympics. After playing the Canadians on Tuesday in a game that will only determine seeding, the medal round begins the following day.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
looked bad at the time.. you could see the knee hyperextend forward when it hit the post.. of course, you still worry about it until he proves it was minor..

Pred303 is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 10:18 AM
  #52
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
one of the announcers said that Barry Trotz talks about Zidlicky being a "Young Zubov".....if he really is thinking that.....it sounds like Zids will be in our long term plans and not "trade bait" to obtain that magical #1 center.....
While I think his offensive abilities are close to that of Zubov, Zids is just not as well rounded right now. Zubov leads all Dallas defenders in ES ice time (15 per game), PP ice time (7 per game) and SH ice time (4:30 per game). Zubov sees about 6 minutes more a game. I think Zidlicky is a poor man's Zubov right now, but I think he has the ability to be a Zubov (i.e. offensive defenseman who is solid, but not great in his own zone)

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
  #53
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Ok Vokoun is not looking too good... boy I hope this doesn't carry over when the olympics are over he's been shaky the whole tournament

Its 3-0 and they pulled Vokoun

RollingPredFan is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
  #54
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Well, apparently Vokoun looks terrible yet again. Sure he has a bad defensive team in front of him, but weak goals are weak goals. And bad defenses usually make goalies look great at times because they give them plenty of chances to make big saves. Vokoun hasn't exactly done that. And he's just been pulled from the game. Can't see the Czech Repubic going back to him unless the Czech's give up a handful more goals. It's good that we'll now have a goaltender coming back who embarrassed himself on his country's biggest stage. Let's see, a physically tired, mentally exhausted goalie who lacks any shred of confidence. That's the recipe for a winner.

Last goalie to do that was Tommy Salo. He went to the Olympics considered one of the best goaltenders in the league and well in his prime and in the midst of one of his most impressive seasons to date. The two years following those Olympics were arguably his worst years in the league and would end up being his last.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 10:43 AM
  #55
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Well, apparently Vokoun looks terrible yet again. Sure he has a bad defensive team in front of him, but weak goals are weak goals. And bad defenses usually make goalies look great at times because they give them plenty of chances to make big saves. Vokoun hasn't exactly done that. And he's just been pulled from the game. Can't see the Czech Repubic going back to him unless the Czech's give up a handful more goals. It's good that we'll now have a goaltender coming back who embarrassed himself on his country's biggest stage. Let's see, a physically tired, mentally exhausted goalie who lacks any shred of confidence. That's the recipe for a winner.

Last goalie to do that was Tommy Salo. He went to the Olympics considered one of the best goaltenders in the league and well in his prime and in the midst of one of his most impressive seasons to date. The two years following those Olympics were arguably his worst years in the league and would end up being his last.
thanks Smokey....now, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.......

Is Zids playing?

handtrick is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
  #56
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
thanks Smokey....now, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.......

Is Zids playing?
NO

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 10:53 AM
  #57
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Well, apparently Vokoun looks terrible yet again. Sure he has a bad defensive team in front of him, but weak goals are weak goals. And bad defenses usually make goalies look great at times because they give them plenty of chances to make big saves. Vokoun hasn't exactly done that. And he's just been pulled from the game. Can't see the Czech Repubic going back to him unless the Czech's give up a handful more goals. It's good that we'll now have a goaltender coming back who embarrassed himself on his country's biggest stage. Let's see, a physically tired, mentally exhausted goalie who lacks any shred of confidence. That's the recipe for a winner.

Last goalie to do that was Tommy Salo. He went to the Olympics considered one of the best goaltenders in the league and well in his prime and in the midst of one of his most impressive seasons to date. The two years following those Olympics were arguably his worst years in the league and would end up being his last.
i didn't want to make a Salo reference, but I thought of it. Salo was never the same after the 02 Olympics...

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
  #58
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i didn't want to make a Salo reference, but I thought of it. Salo was never the same after the 02 Olympics...
I was thinking to myself which situation was more traumatic. Salo's blunder was in the medal rounds. Other than that, he had a solid Olympics. Vokoun's blunder is entirely different in that he has played horrible the entire tournament but hasn't ruined anything for the Czech's. But none of the goals he allowed were ever as a bad or as impactful as the Belurussian 100 footer. A win or loss today for the Czech's, regardless of whether or not it's Vokoun's fault, has no notable effect on their chances. I see Slovakia as incredibly beatable and a loss today by the Czech's would line that up pretty well. Plus it would almost force the Czech's to go with Hnlicka, who is probably a better goalie right now.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
  #59
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,512
vCash: 500
Man he was already worn down prior to the tourney, now he has played a ton of games....and pretty poorly at the olympics.

Thats terrible for us..... What weak goals has been letting in? If its the point shot, well he has let that in all year long for us as well....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now  
Old
02-21-2006, 12:14 PM
  #60
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,329
vCash: 500
**** the Olympics, **** Hasek and his oscar, **** the pansy @$$ czech dmen

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
  #61
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
why was he even in the game today?

from hasek's injury on, it's gone almost as bad as it could for the preds with vokoun playing a lot and playing poorly and with zidlicky getting hurt just when he was lighting it up.

but i'm not worried yet. I think there's just as good a chance that Tomas focuses and pulls off 3 straight head stands for the gold as it is that he gives up 4 softies tomorrow in the Czech exit.

had he not elevated his game against detroit in the playoffs i might be worried. But tomas has a knack for stepping up just when it seems like he might be fragile. I think he can still make a medal run and i think even if he loses tomorrow he can still come back and get us into the playoffs.

I won't truly worry unless he comes back and is visibly affected by this, which is certainly possible.

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
  #62
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
why was he even in the game today?

from hasek's injury on, it's gone almost as bad as it could for the preds with vokoun playing a lot and playing poorly and with zidlicky getting hurt just when he was lighting it up.

but i'm not worried yet. I think there's just as good a chance that Tomas focuses and pulls off 3 straight head stands for the gold as it is that he gives up 4 softies tomorrow in the Czech exit.

had he not elevated his game against detroit in the playoffs i might be worried. But tomas has a knack for stepping up just when it seems like he might be fragile. I think he can still make a medal run and i think even if he loses tomorrow he can still come back and get us into the playoffs.

I won't truly worry unless he comes back and is visibly affected by this, which is certainly possible.
That is my hope ... give him a ****ing week off

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
  #63
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
That is my hope ... give him a ****ing week off
At this stage, I'd rather him get the gold and get his head back in it. We can give him rest if we sit him for two straight games. That'd give him 5+ days of rest if done properly. We cannot do much for his confidence. And with the way our team has played all year, we will expose that lack of confidence game in and game out (provided we aren't playing the Jackets, Hawks, or Blues).

I'd say that a deep run into the medals is absolutey crucial for Vokoun's confidence level. Anything other than that and we are dealing with damaged goods, in my opinion.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
  #64
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
At this stage, I'd rather him get the gold and get his head back in it. We can give him rest if we sit him for two straight games. That'd give him 5+ days of rest if done properly. We cannot do much for his confidence. And with the way our team has played all year, we will expose that lack of confidence game in and game out (provided we aren't playing the Jackets, Hawks, or Blues).

I'd say that a deep run into the medals is absolutey crucial for Vokoun's confidence level. Anything other than that and we are dealing with damaged goods, in my opinion.
I bet the Czech coach starts Hnlicka....they don't give a rat's *** about Vokoun's confidence long term.....they care only about the next few games.
That being said...I hope they do start vokoun, as I agree, that is the only thing, at this point that will right this sinking ship.

handtrick is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
  #65
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"
 
TheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 500
How serious is Zidlicky's injury?

TheDamned is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
  #66
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
With regards to the U.S. hockey team, yet another game where they outplay the opponent and come up short. Russian exposed some defensive weaknesses and Esche looked average. He didn't give up bad goals. But goalies have to make game saving saves to beat teams like Russia.

Finland has to be annoyed that they have to play the U.S. They U.S. are a fortunate bounce or two away from beating a team like Finland.


Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-21-2006 at 03:55 PM.
SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
  #67
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
From NHL.com:

Nashville's Vokoun, who was deemed good enough to split time with Hasek at the start of the tournament, has struggled of late. He was shaky in the first period against Canada (although one of the goals was deflected off Ales Kotalik).

"I just had a bad day and when they got the first goal it just snowballed. Sometimes those things happen. When things start to go wrong, they go wrong and today I had a bad day," Vokoun said.


The Czechs have received solid play from Jaromir Jagr throughout the Olympic tournament.
It was a bit of a surprise that the Czechs started Vokoun again with the semifinals looming on Wednesday. However, he was dispatched to the bench at the start of the second period.

"That's going to happen and you have to deal with it," Vokoun said. "It's not the end of the world."

Hejduk thinks the loss won't affect Vokoun: "I think Tomas is going to be ready."


http://www.nhl.com/olympics/2006/czech022106.html

I gotta admit....from these quotes it sounds like Tomas is taking things pretty well.....that he WILL start tomorrow....and that his teamates haven't lost faith in him.

Now we shall see what he is made of......

handtrick is offline  
Old
02-21-2006, 09:38 PM
  #68
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
Well, that could be encouraging...or it could be lip-service. Vokoun isn't going to say,

"God, I just, I don't know. I don't know what's wrong with me...I"m just...so...STUPID, I'm such a FAILURE" and begin pounding his head against the wall or punching himself in the face(the aforementioned scenario has often transpired in Handtrick's bedroom, with HT's wife playing the reassuring role Milan Hejduk )

Similarly, Hejduk isn't going to say, "Oh, Vokoun? Yeah, he sucks. Hnilicka POR VIDA!"

We can only hope that Tomas isn't taking it too hard and still has a chance to rebound, and that the team isn't frustrated with him.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
  #69
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
according to the GDT, Hnilicka is the starter today, which means that Vokoun doesn't get a chance to redeem himself. If Hnilicka wins, he's earned the starting job for the rest of the tournament...if he loses, they're out anyway.

Worst thing that could have happened, IMO.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 11:33 AM
  #70
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
according to the GDT, Hnilicka is the starter today, which means that Vokoun doesn't get a chance to redeem himself. If Hnilicka wins, he's earned the starting job for the rest of the tournament...if he loses, they're out anyway.

Worst thing that could have happened, IMO.
Our only hope is like a 6-5 win by the Czech's. But that isn't going to happen. Even if it does, they are going to have to be 'weak' goals to even consider putting Vokoun back in. It's ashame, but you really can't blame them. Vokoun has done absolutely nothing to establish himself as anything but a major question mark.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
  #71
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I don't know what it is about U.S.? Hatcher fails to follow Jokinen to the front of the net and instead stops to pick up his glove. Did he think that the IIHF had a ridiculous rule involving gloves much the way they do with helmets? I know they don't, but it wouldn't suprise me if that went through his head. I wish they would use North American rules or some sort of blend. I guess that is asking a lot considering international rules follow an international game. But they are quite tailored to European teams because of their structure and familiarity. A mix might bring both sides to more even terms.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
  #72
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Well, the U.S. bowed out. I guess we finish 8th? Glancing over Waddell's record as GM of Team USA, I'd say it's time for a change. I'm not sure he's led this team to anything more than disappointment. He's been an AGM when the team got a bronze, but I think that's the extent of his success. When you combine that with his lack of success with Atlanta, I'd say it's time for a change. I would rather see Patrick, Pleau, or Poile than Waddell.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
  #73
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
I think the worst thing that can happen at this point is for Hnilicka to start today, win, and lead them to a gold.

It's all speculative until they come back, but if Hnilicka starts today and loses, Vokoun could develop a chip on his shoulder that he never got the chance to redeem himself. That could be a good thing for the Preds, especially factoring in the rest he will have between now and the NHL return.

If that happens, i think Angry Rested Vokoun could be even better than him winning them the gold, because for all the confidence he'd gain in winning the gold, he could very easily be emotionally and physically spent.

Of course Tired Gold Winning Vokoun is better than Wilted Flower Czech Pariah Vokoun.

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
  #74
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,512
vCash: 500


Canadians elimnated today. Their lackadasical play cost them.

As for the US, they fought hard all tourney long. They probably outplayed and outchanced every single team they face. However, the lack of finish and untimely mental lapses/mediocre goaltending killed them. I have to say that Chris Chelios has the heart of a lion.....I'm not disappionted to see us get beaten by Finland. I would have liked to have medaled, but to be honest, I was surprised at how competitive we turned out to be, even though we struggled scoring.

Second the comments on Waddel.

Next olympics, Ryan Suter should be suiting up...hopefully David Legwand as well...


Last edited by Enoch: 02-22-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Enoch is online now  
Old
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
  #75
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I think the worst thing that can happen at this point is for Hnilicka to start today, win, and lead them to a gold.

It's all speculative until they come back, but if Hnilicka starts today and loses, Vokoun could develop a chip on his shoulder that he never got the chance to redeem himself. That could be a good thing for the Preds, especially factoring in the rest he will have between now and the NHL return.

If that happens, i think Angry Rested Vokoun could be even better than him winning them the gold, because for all the confidence he'd gain in winning the gold, he could very easily be emotionally and physically spent.

Of course Tired Gold Winning Vokoun is better than Wilted Flower Czech Pariah Vokoun.
Well didn't happen that way. Hnilicka leads them to victory, allowing only one goal. Safe to say Vokoun is done.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.