HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

McDavid in his prime

Old
04-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
McDavid in his prime

At what age will McDavid enter his prime and what kind of numbers should we expect? 100+ points every season?

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:12 PM
McFlyingV
#Free :]

vCash: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
At what age will McDavid enter his prime and what kind of numbers should we expect? 100+ points every season?
Probably 25-27 like most pro-athletes. Yes I think we should expect 100+ points every season if he's healthy.

McFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:14 PM
acor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
Let me check my crystal ball...

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:45 PM
ESH

I think he's already entered his prime. At least his physical prime. As players get older they have to rely more on their IQ and positioning to make plays while they're physical abilities deteriorate. I'm sure McDavid will have no problem adjusting as he gets older, but right now he's able to dominate with his physical skills, which I expect to last until his late 20s.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:47 PM
thejaf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Let me check my crystal ball...
What did it say?

thejaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:47 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 7 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyingV View Post
Probably 25-27 like most pro-athletes. Yes I think we should expect 100+ points every season if he's healthy.
Its usually 22-25, its younger than most actually think.

TopShelfYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Apotheosis

His prime? 22-25 like most hockey players (that is forwards at least). 100 points a season is a benchmark, but wouldn't be surprised to see uptick years and downtick years. A 80-90 point year (due to unsustainable numbers a year or two) but also a 110-120 point season here or there.

Apotheosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:14 PM
McBaevid
Lottery Dynasty

40 goals - 80 assists I could see in a peak year

McBaevid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:28 PM
leafs94

He's in his prime right now.

leafs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:33 PM
TheMule93

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs94 View Post
He's in his prime right now.
Yep. Maybe not peaking yet but this is definitely his prime.

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:36 PM
McFlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfYzerman View Post
Its usually 22-25, its younger than most actually think.
Peak physiological functioning comes around 25-27 so not really.

Old
04-16-2017, 05:39 PM
LordNeverLose

Most elite offensive players these days peak offensively at around 22, so I'll say then.

Much like Crosby though, he might end up developing a better overall game, but I'd bet his best offensive season comes this decade or maybe a year or two into the next.

LordNeverLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:39 PM
leafs94

Quote:
Peak physiological functioning comes around 25-27 so not really.
not for hockey players that have trained like Athletes from the time they were teenagers.

that intense training moves that number (for normal peopel) down a bit. Physiological prime comes around 22-25 for most Athletes.

Old
04-16-2017, 05:41 PM
HappyGilmourr
#FireShapiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule93 View Post
Yep. Maybe not peaking yet but this is definitely his prime.

Yeah his prime should be 19-26... Even Crosby's best season to date was 19 years old. At 27 he has tailed off a little bit. He's still the best player in the world mind you... but I think McDavid will pass him next season.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:43 PM
That1Kid
suh dude

You could make the argument that his prime will start/end sooner than most players due to his speed being such a huge part of his game and what separates him from others. He's the best in the NHL right now, it's tough to argue otherwise.

That1Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:45 PM
McFlyingV

Quote:
not for hockey players that have trained like Athletes from the time they were teenagers.

that intense training moves that number (for normal peopel) down a bit. Physiological prime comes around 22-25 for most Athletes.
Source? Any research i've read on the subject cites 20-30 as peak physical performance and 26 as the commonly averaged age of physiological maturity. Of course these numbers can vary dramatically individually as some people are simply early physiological maturers while others are late maturers.

If you do reply to this, please don't reference the studies done of statistical analysis on NHL players as those numbers are incredibly flawed for numerous reasons including era adjustments, injuries, and quality of player. They don't actually measure the peak physiological performance of athletes.

Old
04-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

The peak season for pure points for forwards is usually 25.

And I'd imagine for a superstar who starts in the league at 18 it might even skew a bit younger.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

vCash: 865
Around 23-25 years of age, I can see him getting at 120 points and at the very least a couple of 50+ goals seasons.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 05:48 PM
McFlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmourr View Post
Yeah his prime should be 19-26... Even Crosby's best season to date was 19 years old. At 27 he has tailed off a little bit. He's still the best player in the world mind you... but I think McDavid will pass him next season.
Crosby is not a very good player to compare primes with. His career has quite obviously been derailed by injuries. The same could happen to McDavid of course, but is not a factor that should be considered unless it actually happens.

Old
04-16-2017, 05:57 PM
leafs94

Quote:
Source? Any research i've read on the subject cites 20-30 as peak physical performance and 26 as the commonly averaged age of physiological maturity. Of course these numbers can vary dramatically individually as some people are simply early physiological maturers while others are late maturers.

If you do reply to this, please don't reference the studies done of statistical analysis on NHL players as those numbers are incredibly flawed for numerous reasons including era adjustments, injuries, and quality of player. They don't actually measure the peak physiological performance of athletes.
http://www.tsn.ca/pinning-down-a-pla...years-1.388514

theres a few others as well.

I have a medical background, im an RN, but I think it has something to do with testosterone levels peaking out earlier for some people. Test levels decrease after 21, for most people. But intense training can increase test levels earlier on (thats why we get man-childs like McDavid and Matthews), making their peak physiological age lower.

Of course this is all speculation, but i believe McJesus best years will be before 25, especially because he uses his speed so much. McDavid is a smart enough player to adapt however, I have no doubt he'll evolve his game style when the time comes that he isn't the fastest player in the league.

Old
04-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Jonas1235

if you want points, 21 years old,

if you want complete player, then 25 years old.

Remember that Dany Heatley was a 90-100 point player early on too.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 06:12 PM
McFlyingV

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/pinning-down-a-pla...years-1.388514

theres a few others as well.

I have a medical background, im an RN, but I think it has something to do with testosterone levels peaking out earlier for some people. Test levels decrease after 21, for most people. But intense training can increase test levels earlier on (thats why we get man-childs like McDavid and Matthews), making their peak physiological age lower.

Of course this is all speculation, but i believe McJesus best years will be before 25, especially because he uses his speed so much. McDavid is a smart enough player to adapt however, I have no doubt he'll evolve his game style when the time comes that he isn't the fastest player in the league.
Not going to bother reading an article by Travis Jost for starters as I've already pointed out the flaw in these types of "studies".

As for your medical background as an RN, that really has no qualification relating to sports performance or peak physiological maturity (I mean that in a non-offensive way). If you had the knowledge you believe you do on the subject you would know that peak Test levels doesn't = peak performance and physiological maturity. There is no loss in muscle mass at that age, so I'm confused why you think lower Test levels = lower performance. Adolescence is very important due to motor learning and peak HGH and Test levels in terms of development, but it is far from the end of development as most physiological systems don't finish maturing until mid 20's and for any normal human test levels are more than high enough to continue adding strength, power, muscle mass and so on after the age of 21.

As for McDavid being a man-child, I think you're mistaken. He's no more developed physically than other athletes, and actually inferior to a lot out there. His fitness scores are nothing special. His physical strength and size is nothing special (in relation to elite athletes). What is special is his skating technique, his footwork, his hand work and coordination, his genetics, and his ability to think and process the game of hockey at incredible speed. You're kidding yourself if you look at McDavid and think, man this kid is some physically mature beast. He's a hockey phenom, but he's not where he is because he's reached his peak physical maturity.

Old
04-16-2017, 06:15 PM
BlueBaron

You can never have too many McDavid threads.

100+ is what I would expect depending on the direction of the League. I will say I do hope he stays at .2 or .3 points a game ahead of the next guy if he wants to keep his generational tag, which he should. Another factor will be line mates. Is he going to play with Draisaitl forever or is he going to be like Sid and have to drag 3rd liners around? If he gets a winger who he has uber chemistry with the sky is the limit.

A big disadvantage this generation of players has is the salary cap making it hard to have those killer lines. Most teams cannot manage more than a big 3 and ideally you want 2 of the 3 to be C.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Atticus Finch
Sun Belt Hockey

vCash: 50
I would say he's at his prime now. I could see Matthews and Eichel closing the gap and surpassing McDavid.

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 06:51 PM
McWeber
Mouthbreather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
I would say he's at his prime now. I could see Matthews and Eichel closing the gap and surpassing McDavid.
So he is at his prime but 2 guys born within a year of him are not?

McWeber is offline   Reply With Quote