HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is J Toews worth his contract?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2017, 09:50 PM
  #26
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There
 
Empoleon8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
God no, he wasn't worth the contract the day he signed it. That contract was a thank you for giving the Hawks 3 Cups, at his peak he was only worth around 80% of that contract.

Empoleon8771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:52 PM
  #27
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1
 
Mc5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18,945
vCash: 97
For that contract, you should be able to get a much better player.
However, if it's between Toews at his contract or nothing at all, I'd easily take Toews.

So he's not worth his contract, but he's not a negative value player.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:53 PM
  #28
Breakers
Registered User
 
Breakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Denver Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,557
vCash: 500
NO

and neither is Kopitar

Breakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
  #29
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Thank you Mr. I, RIP
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 28,302
vCash: 622
I know it won't be the best hockey argument. But it could be pointed out Toews has played a big part in making that organization and the Wirtz family a ton of money. Couple hundred million dollars is what we are talking there. So his now unfortunate contract cap hit number has at least been earned in a different way.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:59 PM
  #30
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedog99 View Post
When you captain 3 cup champs. You can write your own ticket.
Those cups are in the bank before the contract was signed.
That doesn't answer the question.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 10:40 PM
  #31
ManwithNoIdentity
Registered User
 
ManwithNoIdentity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Definitely not worth it.

He was simply paid for his past achievements (3 cups) which is a great thing but him and Kane's contracts are going to handicap the Hawks for years.

These contracts are exactly the reason we're going to have another lockout in a few years.

ManwithNoIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 10:48 PM
  #32
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 31,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManwithNoIdentity View Post
These contracts are exactly the reason we're going to have another lockout in a few years.
Why would they cause a lockout? The main reason for the lockouts was either some owners were losing money, and others wouldn't spend(in order not to lose money) thus were victims of lack of parity. The first lockout addressed this, the second addressed stuff like contract lengths. Anything bad that happens at this point is on the owners/GMs

There might be a few things that can lead to a lockout, but salary cap is not one of them

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:10 PM
  #33
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,102
vCash: 50
Nope

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:23 PM
  #34
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,713
vCash: 500
Hockey value no, marketing value maybe

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 01:41 AM
  #35
Canucks1096
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
One thing that has to be considered is that Toews production has been very high in the playoffs more often than not. So that's a factor.

?[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. In my opinion Toews had 3 really good playoffs and that's it

2009 ok
2010 really good
2011 average
2012 average
2013 average
2014 really good
2015 really good
2016 ok
2017 so far average

I said many many times Toews only plays really well in the playoffs If he has a strong supporting casts. 2011 and 2012 was really average because Hawks had to trade Ladd Buff Versteeg Campbell for cap reasons. 2014 2015 Toews was really good because they had Saad Shaw Richards Vermette as his supporting casts. Now once again the supporting cast is gone like Sharp richards Vermette Saad and 2016 playoffs he wasnt really good and so far in 2017 he is not really good as well. He was ok in 2016 but 10.5 M he shouldn't be ok

Canucks1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 01:45 AM
  #36
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 16,600
vCash: 500
He was paid based on past performance. It used to be much more common compared to now where you get paid based on projection most of the time.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 01:48 AM
  #37
Canucks1096
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
If a lot of the Hawks young player develope into good players. Then Toews might be worth the contract because he only plays really well in the playoffs if he has really strong supporting casts. If he doesn't then he is not worth the contract.

Canucks1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:49 AM
  #38
TheMule93
Registered User
 
TheMule93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
If Chicago said "look, you performance warrants a contract in the 7-8m range" do you really think Toews wouldn't have signed? Nothing he's done outside of spring 2010 has shown he deserves more than that

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 06:03 AM
  #39
CashMash
Registered User
 
CashMash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Cold North
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
He is not worth 10.5. He is good. Just not that good...

CashMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 06:59 AM
  #40
Deedog99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
God no, he wasn't worth the contract the day he signed it. That contract was a thank you for giving the Hawks 3 Cups, at his peak he was only worth around 80% of that contract.
What does that say about parise and suters contract then?

Deedog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:04 AM
  #41
YYC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Every team in the league would give their #1 C $10.5 every day of the year if it meant winning ONE CUP,let alone 3. kopitar got $10m. he won 2 cups.

YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:12 AM
  #42
BruinLVGA
Registered User
 
BruinLVGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 500
Oh hell naw. Bergeron is much better and he makes below 7. Just because Toews has 3 rings, I would say he would be worth Bergeron's contract money. But $10.5m??? That's nucking futs.

For me the only $10.5m players in the league are McDavid and Crosby.

BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:12 AM
  #43
TheMule93
Registered User
 
TheMule93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedog99 View Post
What does that say about parise and suters contract then?
Suter is worth it... Parise=lol

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:13 AM
  #44
BruinLVGA
Registered User
 
BruinLVGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
Every team in the league would give their #1 C $10.5 every day of the year if it meant winning ONE CUP,let alone 3. kopitar got $10m. he won 2 cups.
We won a Cup. We gave Bergeron 6.875. He is better than Toews.

BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
  #45
nbwingsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
Every team in the league would give their #1 C $10.5 every day of the year if it meant winning ONE CUP,let alone 3. kopitar got $10m. he won 2 cups.
How many have those teams won since then signed that contract though? Not a fan of paying a player for past performances.

nbwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:18 AM
  #46
JoVel
Registered User
 
JoVel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
There are very few players in the NHL worth more than 10 million. Toews is not one of those.

JoVel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:42 AM
  #47
BaBaBruins
Ludicrous Speed Go!
 
BaBaBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Nope.

Good for him for having an agent that pulled that off though.

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:50 AM
  #48
Baby Ryan
Registered User
 
Baby Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,104
vCash: 952
Achievements aside, player ability wise no.

He is more of a 7-8mil player.

Baby Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 08:00 AM
  #49
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,383
vCash: 500
Well I have not seen many Toews trade proposals or Hawks fans desperate to get rid of his Cap hit so I am going to guess they can live with contract due to what he means to the team and his part in bringing them back to respectability. The fact is every team has someone overpaid (we Leafs just hide ours on the IR) so if I am going to overpay someone by 2 mil why not my Captain/Number 1 C ?

It's really not the end of the world and to those saying only Crosby and McDavid are worth that.....a lot of people think Kane is the best player in the world. The Cap is probably going to keep going up so the Hawks will be able to adapt. In a few years they may start to hate the contract but we'll see. One more cup and there is no discussion here.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 08:03 AM
  #50
TheBluePenguin
Registered User
 
TheBluePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 14029
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
Every team in the league would give their #1 C $10.5 every day of the year if it meant winning ONE CUP,let alone 3. kopitar got $10m. he won 2 cups.
Hate the Hawks and really hate Toews, but I agree 100% I would pay Ryan Reaves 10m a year if it gave the Blues just one cup. The problem with the Toews contract is that they decided to pay him for what he had already accomplished not what he might do in the future. The Cardinals had the exact thing come around when Pujols became a free agent. You had to choose to pay for what he had already done or pay him for what you think he has left. Cardinals lost him and it was really tough on the fanbase. Not saying either way is correct but that is what the owner/GMs have to weigh when making this call

TheBluePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.