HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is J Toews worth his contract?

Old
04-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Murzu

vCash: 132
Lol.

Murzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
This is an excellent post and spot on...so much that Im not even going to read the rest of them. One thing to add is that like some one else said...basically the contract is their version of a lifetime achievement award...no way he's going to "earn"that contract moving forward...Kane on the other hand, as much as it pains me to say it, seems to be getting better, so maybe he will "earn" it.
The Hawks have done an excellent job of moving younger players for assets. But, there comes a time when you really do need to move one of your core pieces rather than continue to pay them above what they can contribute to your team.

The end result of the back diving deals that guys like Hossa, Luongo, Weber, Suter, Parise, etc. got has ye to be felt. Hossa begins his drop down to $1 million in salary next season. Lounge after 17-18 season will see his salary halved each of the next 2 year afterwards, and the others will drop in the years to come.

Do I think Toews over the next 7 years is going to be worth his contract? No. But, Burns moves up to an $8 million cap hit next season when he is 32 and it goes until he is 40.

Ideally, you are better off adopting an NFL philosophy where guys in their 20's (after their rookie contracts) get paid the big dollars at about age 26/27. The top guys generally stay with their clubs unless their club is way too tight against the salary cap or another team that is desperate to fill a hole steps up with a great off. Once that player is on the wrong side of 30, the teams steps back and says, we got the best years of your career and now we aren't going to pay you in your declining years. That player generally moves onto another team where only the first 2 years or so are guaranteed.

NHL doesn't work that way, as the cap hit is the average for the term of the contact, it doesn't rise or fall year to year and can't be re-worked.

Just a matter of whether or not teams begin to dig in and pay the player their money, but cut back on the term, which is where the team gets hurt.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:04 PM
tony d
BMO

Meh, he's overpaid, great player but he's not worth 10.5 million a year. No player in the league is.

04-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Bench Turdbisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
Toews and Kane's contracts are anomalies. Both were signed at the worst possible time which was after 2012 lockout that limited contracts to 8 years in length but before the Canadian dollar plummeted which has slowed down the growth of the cap and re-written what teams are willing to offer star players to some extent.
This is an excellent point. I certainly forgot the ever increasing contract sizes before the loonie flatlined.

In this context, it was not a lifetime achievement contract. It was made on the assumption of a continuously increasing cap.

Which is madness, but that's another discussion.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:12 PM
AustinCityLimits
All Hawks no Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
The Supreme Leadership Hockey League?
Intangibles Hockey League

AustinCityLimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Jared Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
He was a passenger for 3 stanley cups and got 10m for it

What a life, imagine he was drafted by the Coyotes or something. Dude would be irrelevant.
Not being the best player on a cup winning team doesn't automatically make you a passenger... what a joke of a post

No Toews is not worth his contract, but he's still one of the best forwards in the game overall and I'd say is worth Stamkos money

Jared Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:44 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

For a million and a half less a year for K&T, the Hawks could've kept some of their other money players.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Midnight Judges

Gretzky never won a cup single-handedly. Someday people are going to get past this nonsensical trope and realize Toews is merely a very good player on an excellent team.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:05 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm View Post
Jonathan Toews has been paid around 125 million during his career. Sure, I'll take 3 cups for 125 million please.
Toews made $35 million during the three-cup run era. The cups were already bought for that $35 million. The extra $90 million is after-the-fact.

Jesus.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:07 PM

He isn't worth anywhere near that contract, but his results have given his fans and organization a reason to justify it. That doesn't make it any less of a hindrance in the future, and it doesn't mean he is actually worth it.

3074326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:35 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

hell no. for that cash u better be offensive and defensive. can't be great defender and subpar offense

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Tak7

If his team is winning? Yes

If his team isn't winning? No

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:51 PM
HowsUrBreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
3 cups and countless awesome memories. Love it as a fan.
will you love all these first round exits because his contract prevents having depth?

HowsUrBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
HowsUrBreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yes. He is the face of the franchise; his marketability and what he means to hockey in the Chicago alone makes him worth it.
how marketable is he if he isn't producing and the team keeps losing in the first round?

how long can you live off the past?

Old
04-18-2017, 04:56 PM
HowsUrBreath

is toews is such a great leader, he should've taken less money for the betterment of the team

taking more than he deserves screams ME ME ME I ONLY CARE ABOUT ME

crosby took less money, tom brady took less money in the nfl

those are real leaders

Old
04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidCreature View Post
I'm not sure anyone in the league is worth 10.5 million. Maybe McDavid.

The crazy thing is this was considered a hometown discount at the time. Hard to imagine what he would have gotten on the open market.
Depends who you asked. A lot of people defended the contract at the time, but there were many detractors, as well. I don't remember anyone saying "hometown discount" so much as "this is the new normal for contracts, get used to it."

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:48 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowsUrBreath View Post
is toews is such a great leader, he should've taken less money for the betterment of the team

those are real leaders
No he didn't. Crosby has a lower cap for the same reason that Keith and Hossa do. Because the number dives down to 3 million at the end of the contract, after starting at 12 million per year up front.

And because he's [seemingly] superstitious when it comes to his birth year. That helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Depends who you asked. A lot of people defended the contract at the time, but there were many detractors, as well. I don't remember anyone saying "hometown discount" so much as "this is the new normal for contracts, get used to it."
Not a home-town discount really, simply less money than he would have had on the open market.

Remember, he would have not only hit the open market as a 3 time Stanley Cup winner (and captain, for whatever importance GMs put on that), but it would have been DIRECTLY after putting up 21 points in 23 games on the way to the third cup. He would have been a free agent at the absolute peak of his value.

Stamkos, who has proven less durable, isn't as strong a possession driver, and has worse PPG in the playoffs, came to market and was reportedly offered 12 million + endorsement godhood by the Toronto Maple Leafs. And supposedly there were offers from Buffalo and Detroit that weren't too far off that.

UFA dollars get crazy.

Last edited by JaegerDice: 04-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.
JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Hunter368
Remember our MIA/POW

Easy, nope.

Hunter368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
how marketable is he if he isn't producing and the team keeps losing in the first round?

how long can you live off the past?
As long as he's on the team, and even after, there will be many Toews jerseys sold. He will still be the player of whom many kids aspire.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:50 PM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toews Era View Post
Most of the time toews doesnt play with kane. Bergeron and marchand are however tied at the hip, boosting their combined stats a lot more than if they were on separate lines. Just proving my point even more. Even playing together all the time, bergeron hasnt come close to toews or kanes playoff production (and not even krejcis)
Until this year, Marchand had more than 60 points ONCE (in 15-16...). I am sure that Bergeron got a huge boost by having someone put up 50-55 points alongside him, for the biggest part of his career. I am also sure that Toews' best line mate never even put up 50-55 points. It was Toews putting up points all by himself. Am I doing this right?

BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:05 PM
LeafFever

I Actually heard a member of the media criticize Toews today. That does not happen often.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:06 PM
LeafFever

Quote:

those are real leaders
I agree with this.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Cruel11
Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Depends on which version of Kopitar you're getting. I certainly wouldn't want the one who showed up this season.
1 bad season in his career lol. He has always been consistent in production.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:14 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
will you love all these first round exits because his contract prevents having depth?
Is this a serious question?

The Blackhawks went 50 years without a cup and were an embarrassment through the Dollar Bill years.

If the Blackhawks never win another cup for the entirety of Toews contract, that's less than a 5th of the time many waited for the 2010 cup. And the 8 years, at their hypothetical worst, don't match the frustration and sadness of the late 90s through to mid 2000s.

Are you seriously asking if I can handle some tough times, after being taken from the depths of hockey fan misery to genuine hockey fan euphoria?

Yes. 100 times yes. I make that deal every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
Toews made $35 million during the three-cup run era. The cups were already bought for that $35 million. The extra $90 million is after-the-fact.

Jesus.
It's almost as if the NHL CBA ensures that players are underpaid for the bulk of their career and then make up the difference once they hit UFA.

Again, I'll ask. Show me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with him. Removing him doesn't make them a lottery team, assuming Kane's production and the acquisition of Panarin are constants, just a playoff bubble team, so they won't be able to draft his replacement any time soon.

So you're looking at UFAs and trades. Check out the UFA market in the summer of 2015. Brainstorm some viable trades and/or take back some that the Blackhawks were forced to make.

Last edited by JaegerDice: 04-18-2017 at 07:27 PM.
JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:27 PM
nexguy

Highly overrated. Thinking they were not deep enough to win without him is strange. Were the Hawks that shallow and terrible?

nexguy is offline   Reply With Quote