HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo/Carolina Game

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Buffalo/Carolina Game

Of course...the last thing that we wanted...3 Points to be handed out in this game. I didn't even care who one, so long as the other team got NO POINTS. But true to form...three points were handed out tonight.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yeah, I agree. Shame it got to OT.

Oh well, we have enough to be proud of!

Old
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Fletch

I saw that too...

and thought the same. Was surprised (although I've heard this before) that Staal isn't in the top three shooutout lineup - he actually went #5.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Levitate

dunno, i'm more concerned about buffalo than carolina, so at least buffalo didn't win.

would be great if the rangers could win the east, but i'll settle for winning the division and am more concerned with that since i don't particularly want to end up playing buffalo as the 4th and 5th seeds, however that shakes out

Old
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and thought the same. Was surprised (although I've heard this before) that Staal isn't in the top three shooutout lineup - he actually went #5.
Staal is not a creative type shoot out guy. His goal scoring ability still shocks me.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

originally, the one point for OTL was implemented so that the teams would go all out in OT having nothing to lose and 1 more point to gain. That way, teams wouldn't just clam up and we wouldn't get a boring ol' tie game as teams clung on to get least get one point. with the shootout, isn't this all pointless? i really don't know why the OTL point is still being used. other than for goalie stats, can anyone think of a valid reason?

Old
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
originally, the one point for OTL was implemented so that the teams would go all out in OT having nothing to lose and 1 more point to gain. That way, teams wouldn't just clam up and we wouldn't get a boring ol' tie game as teams clung on to get least get one point. with the shootout, isn't this all pointless? i really don't know why the OTL point is still being used. other than for goalie stats, can anyone think of a valid reason?
There is no longer a valid reason.

Old
02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
NYR469

i think they should change it so you get the OT point for getting to a shootout since thats not really a fair way to decide a game, but if you lose in OT then get nothing...

Old
02-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i think they should change it so you get the OT point for getting to a shootout since thats not really a fair way to decide a game, but if you lose in OT then get nothing...
No that's just worse, teams would be playing for the shootout, thus playing it simple and trapping during the overtime. We want wide-open, end to end chances in overtime, not teams playing afraid to lose the point.

Old
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
I like those extra points because we always seem to get a bunch of them.

Old
02-13-2006, 02:50 AM
muffin with tentacle

I have a feeling you guys will play us in the 4 seed vs. 5 seed.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:19 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Schaefer
I have a feeling you guys will play us in the 4 seed vs. 5 seed.
You think that the Flyers will overtake us?

Old
02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
No that's just worse, teams would be playing for the shootout, thus playing it simple and trapping during the overtime. We want wide-open, end to end chances in overtime, not teams playing afraid to lose the point.
If you think about it, if a team gets a point for losing in OT and 0 points for losing in a SO, they would play their ***** of in OT. But the NHL wouldn't do that because it would be disheartening to lose in a SO and not get a point out of it.

Old
02-13-2006, 02:37 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
If you think about it, if a team gets a point for losing in OT and 0 points for losing in a SO, they would play their ***** of in OT. But the NHL wouldn't do that because it would be disheartening to lose in a SO and not get a point out of it.
Say its the last game of the season, and a team needs only 1 point to make the playoffs. They manage to tie their opponents in regulation and overtime is set to begin. Doesn't it make sence to play to lose in OT? If they make it past OT and lose in the shootout they're screwed.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:07 PM
JBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
The NHL needs to adopt the three point system that's used so effectively in soccer. In regulation time, three points go to the winner, and zero to the loser. If a game goes to overtime or further, then the winner gets only TWO points, with the other one going to the loser. The current system makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

--JBytes

Closed Thread