HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo/Carolina Game

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
  #1
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Buffalo/Carolina Game

Of course...the last thing that we wanted...3 Points to be handed out in this game. I didn't even care who one, so long as the other team got NO POINTS. But true to form...three points were handed out tonight.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
  #2
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 20,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yeah, I agree. Shame it got to OT.

Oh well, we have enough to be proud of!

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
  #3
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
I saw that too...

and thought the same. Was surprised (although I've heard this before) that Staal isn't in the top three shooutout lineup - he actually went #5.

Fletch is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
  #4
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
dunno, i'm more concerned about buffalo than carolina, so at least buffalo didn't win.

would be great if the rangers could win the east, but i'll settle for winning the division and am more concerned with that since i don't particularly want to end up playing buffalo as the 4th and 5th seeds, however that shakes out

Levitate is online now  
Old
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
  #5
HughJass*
 
HughJass*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: High Point, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,677
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and thought the same. Was surprised (although I've heard this before) that Staal isn't in the top three shooutout lineup - he actually went #5.
Staal is not a creative type shoot out guy. His goal scoring ability still shocks me.

HughJass* is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 08:54 PM
  #6
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
originally, the one point for OTL was implemented so that the teams would go all out in OT having nothing to lose and 1 more point to gain. That way, teams wouldn't just clam up and we wouldn't get a boring ol' tie game as teams clung on to get least get one point. with the shootout, isn't this all pointless? i really don't know why the OTL point is still being used. other than for goalie stats, can anyone think of a valid reason?

n8 is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
  #7
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
originally, the one point for OTL was implemented so that the teams would go all out in OT having nothing to lose and 1 more point to gain. That way, teams wouldn't just clam up and we wouldn't get a boring ol' tie game as teams clung on to get least get one point. with the shootout, isn't this all pointless? i really don't know why the OTL point is still being used. other than for goalie stats, can anyone think of a valid reason?
There is no longer a valid reason.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
  #8
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
i think they should change it so you get the OT point for getting to a shootout since thats not really a fair way to decide a game, but if you lose in OT then get nothing...

NYR469 is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 09:29 PM
  #9
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i think they should change it so you get the OT point for getting to a shootout since thats not really a fair way to decide a game, but if you lose in OT then get nothing...
No that's just worse, teams would be playing for the shootout, thus playing it simple and trapping during the overtime. We want wide-open, end to end chances in overtime, not teams playing afraid to lose the point.

Draft Guru is offline  
Old
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
  #10
VEGASRANGERFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
originally, the one point for OTL was implemented so that the teams would go all out in OT having nothing to lose and 1 more point to gain. That way, teams wouldn't just clam up and we wouldn't get a boring ol' tie game as teams clung on to get least get one point. with the shootout, isn't this all pointless? i really don't know why the OTL point is still being used. other than for goalie stats, can anyone think of a valid reason?
I like those extra points because we always seem to get a bunch of them.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline  
Old
02-13-2006, 02:50 AM
  #11
muffin with tentacle
Registered User
 
muffin with tentacle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,237
vCash: 500
I have a feeling you guys will play us in the 4 seed vs. 5 seed.

muffin with tentacle is offline  
Old
02-13-2006, 03:19 AM
  #12
NYRGoalieGlut*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Schaefer
I have a feeling you guys will play us in the 4 seed vs. 5 seed.
You think that the Flyers will overtake us?

NYRGoalieGlut* is offline  
Old
02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
  #13
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
No that's just worse, teams would be playing for the shootout, thus playing it simple and trapping during the overtime. We want wide-open, end to end chances in overtime, not teams playing afraid to lose the point.
If you think about it, if a team gets a point for losing in OT and 0 points for losing in a SO, they would play their ***** of in OT. But the NHL wouldn't do that because it would be disheartening to lose in a SO and not get a point out of it.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
02-13-2006, 02:37 PM
  #14
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
If you think about it, if a team gets a point for losing in OT and 0 points for losing in a SO, they would play their ***** of in OT. But the NHL wouldn't do that because it would be disheartening to lose in a SO and not get a point out of it.
Say its the last game of the season, and a team needs only 1 point to make the playoffs. They manage to tie their opponents in regulation and overtime is set to begin. Doesn't it make sence to play to lose in OT? If they make it past OT and lose in the shootout they're screwed.

romba is offline  
Old
02-13-2006, 03:07 PM
  #15
JBytes
Registered User
 
JBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country:
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i think they should change it so you get the OT point for getting to a shootout since thats not really a fair way to decide a game, but if you lose in OT then get nothing...
The NHL needs to adopt the three point system that's used so effectively in soccer. In regulation time, three points go to the winner, and zero to the loser. If a game goes to overtime or further, then the winner gets only TWO points, with the other one going to the loser. The current system makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.


--JBytes

JBytes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.