HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Roslovic vs Harkins?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2017, 02:42 AM
  #1
matthole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Roslovic vs Harkins?

I know most Jets fans who go as deep to look at the Prospect pool will most likely recognize Roslovic more but could Harkins be the better Hockey Player out of the two when it's all said and done or even be better today, during the pre- 2015 NHL Draft time Harkins was nearly ranked above Roslovic in every ranking(averaging a ranking of 22th I believe, but fell to 47th in the real draft), and was projected to one day be a solid 2nd Line 2-Way Center and Roslovic was was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd line Winger, and Harkins has looked very solid in the WHL and looked very good in his 4 games as a moose as well notching a point for every game, but with all this said could Harkins be better than Roslovic or was there a reason why Roslovic was drafted ahead of Harkins and Harkins fell hard and deep into the second round?

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:50 AM
  #2
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,517
vCash: 500
Ya Roslovic, AINEC

On a more serious note, here are the write up for the Jets drafts Rhys, Cam, and I did for the draft that year:
#7 Connor
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/25/n...7-kyle-connor/
#21 Roslovic
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/21/na...jack-roslovic/
#22 Harkins
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/21/n...ansen-harkins/
#25 Spacek
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/19/n...ichael-spacek/

What a draft that was... and now Cam and Rhys work for the Panthers...


Last edited by garret9: 04-17-2017 at 02:59 AM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:22 AM
  #3
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,558
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
I know most Jets fans who go as deep to look at the Prospect pool will most likely recognize Roslovic more but could Harkins be the better Hockey Player out of the two when it's all said and done or even be better today, during the pre- 2015 NHL Draft time Harkins was nearly ranked above Roslovic in every ranking(averaging a ranking of 22th I believe, but fell to 47th in the real draft), and was projected to one day be a solid 2nd Line 2-Way Center and Roslovic was was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd line Winger, and Harkins has looked very solid in the WHL and looked very good in his 4 games as a moose as well notching a point for every game, but with all this said could Harkins be better than Roslovic or was there a reason why Roslovic was drafted ahead of Harkins and Harkins fell hard and deep into the second round?
anything's possible.
but not everything's likely.
Roslovic's shown that he's an upper tier AHL player. Harkins has such a small (read: irrelevant) sample size.
even going by pedigree, I'd still choose Roslovic.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 12:55 PM
  #4
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Ya Roslovic, AINEC

On a more serious note, here are the write up for the Jets drafts Rhys, Cam, and I did for the draft that year:
#7 Connor
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/25/n...7-kyle-connor/
#21 Roslovic
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/21/na...jack-roslovic/
#22 Harkins
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/21/n...ansen-harkins/
#25 Spacek
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/19/n...ichael-spacek/

What a draft that was... and now Cam and Rhys work for the Panthers...
Garrett ..... is there a quick link to the rest of your groups rankings for the 2015 draft. I found the above articles to be a good read.

Thanks

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:21 PM
  #5
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 500
I think Roslovic is going to be a dandy. I think he projects as at least a 3rd liner in the not to distant future, and a top-6 player on lesser teams.

I like a lot of how Harkins plays, but he'll take longer to develop due to the lack of top-end skating and I think he projects more as a bottom-6 forward.

I wasn't all that excited about Harkins as a 1st rounder in 2015, but still think he was good value where the Jets took him in the 2nd round. His development hasn't been outstanding, but I think he still has a chance to be an NHLer, which would make the Jets' draft outstanding.

There is a decent chance that the 2015 draft could produce 6 or 7 NHLers, which is preposterous.

Connor
Roslovic
Harkins
Foley
Spacek
Niku

(Appleton)
(Gennaro)

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
  #6
Deif
Registered User
 
Deif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 766
Roslovic, not close

Deif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:29 PM
  #7
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
Roslovic, not close
Agreed, but I still like a lot of what Harkins brings.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:44 PM
  #8
kxx
formerly 'fkdog'
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 5797
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Ya Roslovic, AINEC

On a more serious note, here are the write up for the Jets drafts Rhys, Cam, and I did for the draft that year:
#7 Connor
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/25/n...7-kyle-connor/
#21 Roslovic
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/21/na...jack-roslovic/
#22 Harkins
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/21/n...ansen-harkins/
#25 Spacek
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/19/n...ichael-spacek/

What a draft that was... and now Cam and Rhys work for the Panthers...
Wow you must have been pumped on Draft day seeing the Jets land all of these guys if the numbers were your rankings.

kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:52 PM
  #9
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
This is a question that could have been less clear around the draft, but I think by now Roslovic has separated himself. The debate should be around Harkins vs Spacek IMO

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
  #10
ruffus23
Registered User
 
ruffus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Roslovic easily.


Spacek vs. Harkins may be better question?

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
  #11
matthole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
This is a question that could have been less clear around the draft, but I think by now Roslovic has separated himself. The debate should be around Harkins vs Spacek IMO
Don't want to hate on Roslovic but has one good year in the AHL proven him, I know Harkins only has a sample size, of a sample size, of a sample size in the AHL but he looked pretty good, but seriously nobody thinks he can compete in skill or talent to Roslovic because of taking a slower approach and being drafted Lower..

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:12 PM
  #12
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
Garrett ..... is there a quick link to the rest of your groups rankings for the 2015 draft. I found the above articles to be a good read.

Thanks
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/26/na...inal-rankings/

Here's the final list. Note that it was the combined rankings of Rhys, Josh, Cam, Thomas, and myself. We varied in our own opinions.

For example: I had Connor at #5 pre-draft, but he was 7 in our aggregate list. (I've been a big Connor fan pre-Jets drafting him hahah).
Another example: I think Beauvillier was in Rhys' top 10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
Wow you must have been pumped on Draft day seeing the Jets land all of these guys if the numbers were your rankings.
Yes. We ranked the Jets as being the best value relative to position and second best overall value. Edmonton had best value overall almost exclusively due to McDavid.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:14 PM
  #13
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
Don't want to hate on Roslovic but has one good year in the AHL proven him, I know Harkins only has a sample size, of a sample size, of a sample size in the AHL but he looked pretty good, but seriously nobody thinks he can compete in skill or talent to Roslovic because of taking a slower approach and being drafted Lower..
Is it low sample for someone like me who ranked Roslovic higher:

* pre-draft rankings
* in Jets Nation's 2015 prospect profiles
* in Jets Nation's 2016 prospect profiles
* and will in Jets Nation's 2017 prospect profiles

Roslovic has not just proven himself with one good year in the AHL.
In his draft year he had the best USHL points/gp pace.
In his draft+1 year he lead a weak NCAA team in a hard division in points despite playing half the season on their second line.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:22 PM
  #14
matthole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Is it low sample for someone like me who ranked Roslovic higher:

* pre-draft rankings
* in Jets Nation's 2015 prospect profiles
* in Jets Nation's 2016 prospect profiles
* and will in Jets Nation's 2017 prospect profiles

Roslovic has not just proven himself with one good year in the AHL.
In his draft year he had the best USHL points/gp pace.
In his draft+1 year he lead a weak NCAA team in a hard division in points despite playing half the season on their second line.
Who said he won't blow off the roof in the AHL, I'd personally want to see Roslovic stay one more year and play on the same line as Harkins(Roslovic at Center) and see how it works out. Personally I think Harkins has the same potential, I believe Roslovic is much better right now but I dont know if there's too big of a gap in potential.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 03:26 PM
  #15
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
Who said he won't blow off the roof in the AHL, I'd personally want to see Roslovic stay one more year and play on the same line as Harkins(Roslovic at Center) and see how it works out. Personally I think Harkins has the same potential, I believe Roslovic is much better right now but I dont know if there's too big of a gap in potential.

Harkins probably thinks the game and sees the ice at a similar level but doesn't posses near as good of a shot nor is he even close to Roslovic in terms of skating. The latter two traits are why the smart money would be on Roslovic remaining the better player long term.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:13 PM
  #16
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor
 
McDLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 421
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Is it low sample for someone like me who ranked Roslovic higher:

* pre-draft rankings
* in Jets Nation's 2015 prospect profiles
* in Jets Nation's 2016 prospect profiles
* and will in Jets Nation's 2017 prospect profiles

Roslovic has not just proven himself with one good year in the AHL.
In his draft year he had the best USHL points/gp pace.
In his draft+1 year he lead a weak NCAA team in a hard division in points despite playing half the season on their second line.
Are you replacing your love for Burmi with Roslovic?

McDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:17 PM
  #17
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
Who said he won't blow off the roof in the AHL, I'd personally want to see Roslovic stay one more year and play on the same line as Harkins(Roslovic at Center) and see how it works out. Personally I think Harkins has the same potential, I believe Roslovic is much better right now but I dont know if there's too big of a gap in potential.
Who said he will blow off the roof in the AHL?

I do not believe Harkins to have the same potential.

Harkins has excellent vision and is strong defensively but the same is true with Roslovic. However, Roslovic is much better skater and far superior with the puck in tight positions which makes his high end ceiling much more likely to be reached than Harkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
Are you replacing your love for Burmi with Roslovic?

I was never actually in love with Burmistrov. I just wanted to point out that in 2011-2013 Burmistrov struggled to score but helped the Jets tilt the ice, making his linemates better in shot and goal differentials. I found a disconnect in Burmistrov's value to the team versus his perceived value, which made him a prime example to discuss the value of other statistics. This led to people thinking I was trying to pump Burmistrov's tires, when really I was just trying to correct what I viewed as incorrect valuation.

Interestingly, we have a very similar player in Lowry right now. Lowry's scoring sucks, maybe worse than Burmistrov. However, his ability to tilt the ice makes him a far better player than his 5v5 scoring pace indicates. We seem to have a very split case though in valuation with Lowry: with some liking Lowry over Perreault and others saying Lowry is merely a fourth line player.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:48 PM
  #18
ruffus23
Registered User
 
ruffus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Ya Roslovic, AINEC

On a more serious note, here are the write up for the Jets drafts Rhys, Cam, and I did for the draft that year:
#7 Connor
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/25/n...7-kyle-connor/
#21 Roslovic
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/21/na...jack-roslovic/
#22 Harkins
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/21/n...ansen-harkins/
#25 Spacek
https://canucksarmy.com/2015/06/19/n...ichael-spacek/

What a draft that was... and now Cam and Rhys work for the Panthers...
Garret - curious how your draft rankings have fared the last few years compared to other pros? Enjoy your insight as you seem to be correct more often than wrong with your picks.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:51 PM
  #19
VictoriaJetsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Can we trade one of them for a quality defenceman?

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 04:52 PM
  #20
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
Garret - curious how your draft rankings have fared the last few years compared to other pros? Enjoy your insight as you seem to be correct more often than wrong with your picks.
I haven't tested my own qualitative inferences, but we have had some fun with stuff like this:
https://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/26/sh...-draft-tables/

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:57 PM
  #21
matthole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
Can we trade one of them for a quality defenceman?
Would not mind trading Harkins but I highly doubt any team will give to much for him, The reason why I made this Thread was to lead up to ask fellow Jets fans if Roslovic would be replaceable by Harkins in the future and use Roslovic as a trade bait/ throw in a big trade for just that(a quality D-Men), because I would assume Roslovic would have some value to him.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:11 AM
  #22
uTurris
We the True North
 
uTurris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,157
vCash: 500
Both different players.

Roslovic gets the nod, but I could see him being a number one centre one day and giving Scheifele an extra punch. I think one day he'll reach Matthews level.

Harkins will be in our bottom six and as centre providing Lowry/Copp the extra punch. See him being a better, stronger and grittier version of Bolland when he was with the Hawks.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:26 AM
  #23
GJF
Beaver Jedi
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Heidelberg, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Both different players.

Roslovic gets the nod, but I could see him being a number one centre one day and giving Scheifele an extra punch. I think one day he'll reach Matthews level.

Harkins will be in our bottom six and as centre providing Lowry/Copp the extra punch. See him being a better, stronger and grittier version of Bolland when he was with the Hawks.
Roslovic one day going to reach Matthews level? Wut?

What's that based on?

GJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:35 AM
  #24
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Roslovic gets the nod, but I could see him being a number one centre one day and giving Scheifele an extra punch. I think one day he'll reach Matthews level.
Roslovic is looking quite good, but this is a huge reach, IMO. Matthews is a much, much better player than Roslovic.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 08:05 AM
  #25
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Both different players.

Roslovic gets the nod, but I could see him being a number one centre one day and giving Scheifele an extra punch. I think one day he'll reach Matthews level.

Harkins will be in our bottom six and as centre providing Lowry/Copp the extra punch. See him being a better, stronger and grittier version of Bolland when he was with the Hawks.
Rozlo one day going to reach Mathews level one day ...........

I would advise you to float that on the main boards (Lol)but after Tor took a 2-1 lead in their series last night I am staying far away from the Toronto HF boards peacocks.

Mathews/ Rozlovic/ Tkachuk were a pretty good line for the US 2 years ago. BOTH Mathews and Tkachuk are killing it in their 1st seasons in the NHL.

That's about as far as the comparison with Mathews should go.

I have said multiple times that I would like the Jets first 2 picks in 2015 to be be our Getlaf/Perry picks. Meaning 2 latter 1st round picks in the same draft becoming key pieces that grow together and become a integral part of the team for a long time.

I am not comparing their individual style of play/ skills to those players exactly.

I think Rozlo and CONNOR should have been together in the AHL earlier to gain chemistry together. They should be the basis of our 3rd line next year.

EHLERS....Shief........Laine
Perrault......Little.....Wheeler
CONNOR.. ..Rozlo.....Armia
Copp.....Lowry.....Mathais

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.