HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One more thought about Bure...

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
One more thought about Bure...

Just lingering on this here, but... it certainly sucks his knees went down on him... when he WAS a Ranger he was definitely a hungry member...

Too bad he's not on this team with Jags... those two (when they want to be) are the nastiest mofos on ice.

I dont think he'd have his bad attitude with him, either.

Old
02-12-2006, 08:54 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I miss Bure. Him and Kasparaitis are my favorite hockey players, I was so stoked to have them on the same team for the short time they were here together.

Bure was great, he was a really exciting player to watch, he'd be unstoppable in this new NHL. Imagine all the breakaways he'd get with two line passes, and how 'open' the game is now. Hell, he didn't even need the 'new NHL' to get more great solo scoring chances than anyone in the current NHL.

Old
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I agree he was injury prone and we gave a lot to get him which in hindsight wasn't a smart move. But he was a great Ranger he scored goals on almost every game he played and he seemed to score even when he wasnt interested or didnt want to.

Old
02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Too bad his career ended by danton the devil

practicing for his future "hit" on Bure's knees. It was a cheap shot by a cheap player.

Old
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm
I agree he was injury prone and we gave a lot to get him which in hindsight wasn't a smart move. But he was a great Ranger he scored goals on almost every game he played and he seemed to score even when he wasnt interested or didnt want to.
we didnt exactly give up much at all for bure. it was a salary dump for florida. if i remember we gave up a first round pick in addition to ulanov or sometin. 1st round pick for bure was def. worth the risk- just a shame he went down

Old
02-12-2006, 10:37 PM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Mar-02: New York Rangers traded Filip Novak, Igor Ulanov, a 1st round selection (later traded to Calgary - Eric Nystrom) in 2002, a 2nd round selection (Rob Globke) in 2002 and a 4th round selection in 2003 to the Florida Panthers for Pavel Bure and a 2nd round selection (Lee Falardeau) in 2002.

It wasnt the fact that it was a bad trade, it was the timing. We didnt have a realistic shot at making the playoffs and we just tried to make a push when it wasnt really a smart thing to do at the time.

Old
02-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
Mar-02: New York Rangers traded Filip Novak, Igor Ulanov, a 1st round selection (later traded to Calgary - Eric Nystrom) in 2002, a 2nd round selection (Rob Globke) in 2002 and a 4th round selection in 2003 to the Florida Panthers for Pavel Bure and a 2nd round selection (Lee Falardeau) in 2002.

It wasnt the fact that it was a bad trade, it was the timing. We didnt have a realistic shot at making the playoffs and we just tried to make a push when it wasnt really a smart thing to do at the time.
Didn't we have between 13-16 games left in the off-season when we dealt for him? I remember it was the day of or the day before the trade deadline when we got him.

True, probably the worst timing. I could understand if we were like 2 or 3 points out of a playoff spot but I believe it was a good 6-7 points. The teams in front of us were good enough to keep the lead (I'm leaning towards NYI and MTL, don't take my word on that though).

Old
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44

Wow, neither team really has much to show for from this trade now.

Old
02-12-2006, 11:02 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Anyone have highlights of the goals Bure scored while in NY? Would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old
02-12-2006, 11:57 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494
Anyone have highlights of the goals Bure scored while in NY? Would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
i concur, something to get us by this Olympic (non-Ranger) break...

Old
02-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Hmmm..Bure.

End-to-end rush in OT to beat the Ducks - what a beauty!

As was his penalty shot goal against Nashville and Vokoun.

Just think, at one point in 03-04 we had Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Lindros, Leetch and Messier all on the same team. Talk about talent. Too bad it got us no where but that's a ridiculous amount of talent when you think about it.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:03 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Hmmm..Bure.

End-to-end rush in OT to beat the Ducks - what a beauty!

As was his penalty shot goal against Nashville and Vokoun.

Just think, at one point in 03-04 we had Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Lindros, Leetch and Messier all on the same team. Talk about talent. Too bad it got us no where but that's a ridiculous amount of talent when you think about it.
Are you sure that Bure played with Jagr? Or was your point that they were just on the same team? BTW, you know it's interesting we have less talent overall now, but we have a lot of the same type of players, offensive Europeans, most are close or on the wrong side of 30, that are not considered good defensive players. I wonder if the difference is those 3rd and 4th lines, the coaching staff, and the goaltending. Because it's not like our top 2 lines are much different in talent type (although we have less talent now, I believe)

Old
02-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I remember reading somewhere from someone that they said [this was a "pro" analyst, btw] that Kovalev is/was one of the most talented and gifted hockey players to ever lace up a set of skates...he just never had the 24/7 heart to compete on all cylinders at all times... and that if he did... he MIGHT have been the best of his era.

Might be true, huh?

Anyways... just sucks we never got to put Bure and Jags together like they should've been. It's not just me being a Bure fan, or a Rags fan.. but a hockey fan... seeing those two on the same team I believe would've trumped almost any other tandem I could imagine.

Old
02-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
I don't think Bure and Jagr ever laced it up for us at the same time.

Old
02-13-2006, 06:11 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494
Yeah lets get some hilights. I'd love to see the goal against the Ducks

Old
02-13-2006, 06:31 AM
shoothepuck

Bure would have been fun to watch now, with the new rules and 2 line pass, hell he was fun to watch back then. I'm always bothered by who did his surgeries, was it like 7 times on the right knee?

Old
02-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
They definitely didn't. If the Rangers had a healthy Bure in their lineup you could bt your bottom dollar that Jaromir Jagr would not even be on this team, so I guess one might say that his injury was a blessing in disguise.

And about that Kovalev analysis, anyone who has watched him play should know that this is exactly the case. The man can literally do whatever he wants with the puck.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:18 AM
robertch

Yeah, tragic about Pavel...I remember watching him with thinking, if he gets a breakaway he'll score 100% of the time. That OT winner against the ducks was awesome! I think that guy Feldman did the surgury...I was always a little curious about that myself.

Wan't the operation originally intended to repair one knee, but they decided to operate on both with the idea that they might prevent future problems there? then it wound up being the "good" knee that never healed right and ended his career...

Old
02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
Yeah, tragic about Pavel...I remember watching him with thinking, if he gets a breakaway he'll score 100% of the time. That OT winner against the ducks was awesome! I think that guy Feldman did the surgury...I was always a little curious about that myself.

Wan't the operation originally intended to repair one knee, but they decided to operate on both with the idea that they might prevent future problems there? then it wound up being the "good" knee that never healed right and ended his career...
Imagine Pavel Bure in a shootout with the game on the line... DRAMA baby..

Old
02-13-2006, 10:27 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Imagine Pavel Bure in a shootout with the game on the line... DRAMA baby..
I dunno...can't picture pavel taking an important penalty shot.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
I dunno...can't picture pavel taking an important penalty shot.
At least not with Mike Richter in goal.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:36 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think that the Bure experience informed the Jagr trade: although Bure's injuries cut short his Rangers career, he was very effective when he was here. Remember how he even backchecked!?

I think that this put the seed in Sather's head that if a superstar is lobbying to play on the Rangers (which both Jagr and Bure did), then perhaps you can overlook their reputations as malcontents.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Keep in mind that it's possible that with a healthy Bure, Jagr may've never found his way to Broadway anyway.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:58 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I'm almost positive they did. At the end of the 03-04 season, Bure tried to comeback and play against Ottawa (he even scored on a penalty shot in that game), and Jagr was on the team by that time. One would probably have to look that up.

Also like Draft Guru said, that coast to coast goal against Anaheim in OT was just a thing of beauty. I wish he gave it one more shot, I'd put him on the 4th line and get minimal minutes just to see him play one more time.

Old
02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan
Keep in mind that it's possible that with a healthy Bure, Jagr may've never found his way to Broadway anyway.
More than possible: I'd think likely.

Closed Thread