HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Handshake Refusals

Old
04-18-2017, 11:26 AM
GMR

vCash: 500
Handshake Refusals

I remember Brodeur snubbing Avery, but what were some other instances where players refused to shake hands after a series?

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Moose Head

Billy Smith would never participate in the handshake line.

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:20 PM
overpass

Doug Harvey and the Canadiens left the ice without shaking hands with the Red Wings in 1954. Detroit won the game in OT on a fluke deflection off Harvey.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:28 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Doug Harvey and the Canadiens left the ice without shaking hands with the Red Wings in 1954. Detroit won the game in OT on a fluke deflection off Harvey.
Wow, did not know that. Did they ever explain why? Obviously a devastating loss, but not really a good reason to avoid shaking hands and showing good sportsmanship.

Also while we're on topic, I've always wondered if there's a video of what the handshake line looked line after the Good Friday Massacre in 1984?

Old
04-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
A few during the 1997 Avs/Wings series, but more famous is Ciccarreli's line from 1996: "I can't believe I shook this guy's friggin' hand after the game; that pisses me right off."

For the exact list, I know it's in Dater's book, but for some reason I can't find a video.

Old
04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Moose Head

The night Hextall went after Chelios there was no handshake line.

Old
04-18-2017, 12:54 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Chris Chelios a few times, I believe.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:55 PM
double5son10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
Gerry Cheevers as well.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:07 PM
smetana
B2B2B2B HA Champs

Crosby in the 2009 Finals

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:11 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 50
Did Belfour skip it after losing to St. Louis in OT? I know he was upset about contact with Hull behind the net, and I think it was Janney who scored from out by the blue line. (For the life of me, I will never know what Janney was doing out by the blue line to begin with.)

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
newf

Quote:
He personally sought out Glen Hanlon after the Rangers-Isles series in 84 and shook his hand and then left the ice

newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:34 PM
nabby12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
He personally sought out Glen Hanlon after the Rangers-Isles series in 84 and shook his hand and then left the ice
Same with Bob Mason after the Easter Epic game in 1987.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:43 PM
GMR

Some great answers here. I didn't know about a lot of these.

However, I was thinking more of instances like Brodeur on Avery, where a guy shakes hands with everyone "except" for a certain player.

Old
04-18-2017, 03:44 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
A few during the 1997 Avs/Wings series, but more famous is Ciccarreli's line from 1996: "I can't believe I shook this guy's friggin' hand after the game; that pisses me right off."

For the exact list, I know it's in Dater's book, but for some reason I can't find a video.
That's the most famous non-handshake where there was actually a handshake. I guess the quote wouldn't work so well if he refused to shake Claude's hand.

Old
04-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:

Smitty, a hardliner in the goaltenders union

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by double5son10 View Post
Gerry Cheevers as well.
... yeah, but not what you think... dying for a smoke.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:37 PM
MaxV

Post Game 1 of Summit Series 1972.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Post Game 1 of Summit Series 1972.
In all fairness Team Canada was not familiar with international rules. It made them look like poor sports to the Soviets though. The remaining 7 games they shook hands afterwards win or lose.

How about Lucic's reaction when losing to Montreal in 2014? Something was said to him in the line and it irritated him and then he took it out on the Habs' Dale Weise if I remember correctly. Shook his hand, but extra hard and had some words for him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
Did Belfour skip it after losing to St. Louis in OT? I know he was upset about contact with Hull behind the net, and I think it was Janney who scored from out by the blue line. (For the life of me, I will never know what Janney was doing out by the blue line to begin with.)
I'll admit, Hull totally interfered with him. That was pretty blatant. Not sure how that didn't get called back to be honest. Belfour had every right to be mad. That being said, the Hawks got swept and that was just the cherry on top. I have no idea how the Blues beat them other than Joseph's heroics perhaps. The irony is that 6 years later Belfour and Hull won a Cup together. I'll bet Eddie asked Hull about that play numerous times.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:28 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
not to get off topic, but you're a treasure Killion! Love all the stories and tidbits you've shared over many years.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Moose Head

Quote:
Was always wondering why he jumped off the ice so fast in the 77 final deciding game OT, lol.

Last edited by Moose Head: 04-19-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old
04-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
not to get off topic, but you're a treasure Killion! Love all the stories and tidbits you've shared over many years.
Quote:
Was always wondering why he jumped off the ice so fast in the 77 final deciding game OT, lol.
.... well thanks, and yeah, Cheevers.... a little OT for this thread perhaps but still dealing with customs & protocol... when Gerry retired from playing & took over behind the bench trying to match wits with the likes of Scotty Bowman & so on, Cheezey there basically just winging it going on guts & instinct, the NHL had instituted a policy whereby the Home Team was obligated to provide the Visitors with a video tape of the game.... So one night in Boston, Bruins vs Canucks, Roger Neilson, Captain Video himself shows up at the Boston Dressing Room at the Garden looking for his tape, having been outshot something like 58-3 & thoroughly humiliated.... Well, that was the night of the last episode of M.A.S.H. see, and Gerry, he was a big fan of that show & he wasnt gunna miss it. Ordered the "tape guy" to record the special extra long episode rather than the game... leaving Captain Video out in the hall cooling his jets without explanation or apology while Gerry there lights up a Camel, cracks a cold one, feet up on his desk watches M.A.S.H. 2hr grand finale', Goodbye, Farewell & Amen.... of course, Roger had a plane to catch, tired of waiting like a mope out in the hallway for 49 minutes .... anyhoo... next day Gerry goes to the station that broadcast the game, gets a tape from them, mails it off to Vancouver.... Collect.

Last edited by Killion: 04-19-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old
04-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards Escape Goat

vCash: 663
Quote:
.... well thanks, and yeah, Cheevers.... a little OT for this thread perhaps but still dealing with customs & protocol... when Gerry retired from playing & took over behind the bench trying to match wits with the likes of Scotty Bowman & so on, Cheezey there basically just winging it going on guts & instinct, the NHL had instituted a policy whereby the Home Team was obligated to provide the Visitors with a video tape of the game.... So one night in Boston, Bruins vs Canucks, Roger Neilson, Captain Video himself shows up at the Boston Dressing Room at the Garden looking for his tape, having been outshot something like 58-3 & thoroughly humiliated.... Well, that was the night of the last episode of M.A.S.H. see, and Gerry, he was a big fan of that show & he wasnt gunna miss it. Ordered the "tape guy" to record the special extra long episode rather than the game... leaving Captain Video out in the hall cooling his jets without explanation or apology while Gerry there lights up a Camel, cracks a cold one, feet up on his desk watches M.A.S.H. 2hr grand finale'.... of course, Roger had a plane to catch, tired of waiting like a mope out in the hallway for like 49 minutes .... anyhoo... next day Gerry goes to the station that broadcast the game, gets a tape from them, mails it off to Vancouver.... Collect... Yep. Gerry Cheevers.... Goodbye, Farewell & Amen.
You need to start a podcast. 100% serious.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
In all fairness Team Canada was not familiar with international rules. It made them look like poor sports to the Soviets though. The remaining 7 games they shook hands afterwards win or lose.

How about Lucic's reaction when losing to Montreal in 2014? Something was said to him in the line and it irritated him and then he took it out on the Habs' Dale Weise if I remember correctly. Shook his hand, but extra hard and had some words for him.
Lucic shook Weise and Emelin's hand but he gave them some strong words. I believe he threatened Emelin.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear of Bad News View Post
You need to start a podcast. 100% serious.
.... dont think so. wouldnt be able to get the words out for the laughter.... but sure, Cheevers (lots of others providing excellent material) one of the great characters of the game. I'm sure you know the story of his mask & the stitches... his time as Leaf property as well had its moments.... finally gets the call... no mask back then... facing Chicago... Bobby Hull.... who on his first shot at the net ripped Gerrys stick right out of his hand damn nearly turning it into kindling.... yep... welcome to the Bigs kid.