Does Petan Have A Future Here?

Old
04-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Yultron
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Does Petan Have A Future Here?

Hey Jets Fans ,

I'm Yultron and I just moved to the Winnipeg Area and am new to these boards after reading these boards for several years and I thought it was time to register . So my question to you great fans is does Nic Petan have a future here ? He spend most of last season in Maurice's dog house on the 4th line , only played like 7-11 minutes a night. And didn't seem to get in a rhythm. So what are his chances of getting a spot in the top 9 this year , or is he going to be a career 4th liner , or will we trade him ?

Thoughts

Yultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:48 PM
matthole

Not if he's under used.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Roslo should become our 3rd line C eventually, and Lowry the 4th...So unless we put him on wing, no.

Connor-Roslo-Petan would be an interesting experiment, though.

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:52 PM
stimpsoncat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yultron View Post
Hey Jets Fans ,

I'm Yultron and I just moved to the Winnipeg Area and am new to these boards after reading these boards for several years and I thought it was time to register . So my question to you great fans is does Nic Petan have a future here ? He spend most of last season in Maurice's dog house on the 4th line , only played like 7-11 minutes a night. And didn't seem to get in a rhythm. So what are his chances of getting a spot in the top 9 this year , or is he going to be a career 4th liner , or will we trade him ?

Thoughts
I think it depends on the coaching situation. If Maurice is extended then I think no, Petan does not have a future here. Maurice runs 2 offensive lines, a checking third line and a bunch of scraps on a low minute fourth line. There's just no ice time for him unless we run 3 scoring lines, which again won't happen with Maurice. Also, Maurice loves Lowry and unless Petan grows a foot taller will never beat him out for ice time.

stimpsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:53 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Welcome Yultron!

I honestly don't think he does with Maurice as the head coach but I believe we will know one way or the other in the next 12 months.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:54 PM
surixon

The team is being constructed to be quick and play an up tempo speed game.

Petan's biggest issue imo is that he often times stops moving his feet and playing an uptempo game doesn't come naturally to him. He would rather try to slow things down. If he doesn't adapt than imo there isn't a spot for him here long term as the org will likely go with a similar player on Roslovic who plays the game with pace.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

I don't think he fits into the system very well and outside of thr powerplay he doesn't bring enough to the table to compete for a spot with the guys in the top 6. He could compete for a bottom 6 spot but with Roslovic and Connor that is going to be pretty tough. I think he's be a good + in a trade.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 377
Quote:
Hey Jets Fans ,

Thoughts
Welcome Yultron.

Short answer, no as long as Maurice is here. He is getting full on Postma'd.

Long answer, it depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
Roslo should become our 3rd line C eventually, and Lowry the 4th...So unless we put him on wing, no.

Connor-Roslo-Petan would be an interesting experiment, though.
Short term Roslo should be 3C before very much longer. Longer term he might be 2C which opens a spot for Petan. But Harkins may be a more likely candidate for that spot.

If those 3 were put together don't you think it would be more likely Roslo would play RW than Petan would? Petan at C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I don't think he fits into the system very well and outside of thr powerplay he doesn't bring enough to the table to compete for a spot with the guys in the top 6. He could compete for a bottom 6 spot but with Roslovic and Connor that is going to be pretty tough. I think he's be a good + in a trade.
I wonder what trade value he would have. He might be a good add. Or throwing him in might be like throwing him away. Hard to say. Healthy scratching certainly didn't help his trade value.

Bottom line, Maurice isn't going anywhere in the near future. Probably not in the intermediate future either. So we might just as well explore his trade value because he isn't going to get a chance here.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Welcome Yultron.

Short answer, no as long as Maurice is here. He is getting full on Postma'd.

Long answer, it depends.

Short term Roslo should be 3C before very much longer. Longer term he might be 2C which opens a spot for Petan. But Harkins may be a more likely candidate for that spot.

If those 3 were put together don't you think it would be more likely Roslo would play RW than Petan would? Petan at C.

I wonder what trade value he would have. He might be a good add. Or throwing him in might be like throwing him away. Hard to say. Healthy scratching certainly didn't help his trade value.

Bottom line, Maurice isn't going anywhere in the near future. Probably not in the intermediate future either. So we might just as well explore his trade value because he isn't going to get a chance here.
Would be nice to see him crack the second line somehow in a year or 2. If he improved his game he and Ehlers on the same line would be lethal with all that speed.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Registered Hoosier

Quote:
Pretty much this. Not good enough for top 6 (or even top 9), not really suited for any sort of "energy" or "grind" line.

Hopefully included in a trade for a goalie or LHD.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Yultron
Rookie User

Thanks everyone , yeah I didn't think he would and not every prospect pans out

Yultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:20 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
So much of making the NHL and doing well is timing and breaks (if you are not blue chip). Nic is one of the guys that I think could thrive and develop if he just landed on the right team. Burning off a season on the 4th line with a plug like Thorburn probably set Nic's development back and honestly might have finished him off with us. Here's hoping he gets the right kind of shot on a team.

Easy to blame PMo here and he does have blood on his hands but Nic hasn't exactly kicked the door down either.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
So much of making the NHL and doing well is timing and breaks (if you are not blue chip). Nic is one of the guys that I think could thrive and develop if he just landed on the right team. Burning off a season on the 4th line with a plug like Thorburn probably set Nic's development back and honestly might have finished him off with us. Here's hoping he gets the right kind of shot on a team.

Easy to blame PMo here and he does have blood on his hands but Nic hasn't exactly kicked the door down either.
Yeah as much as PMo is easy to blame and he definitely never gave Nic any easy breaks. Part of it is on Nics shoulders as well to force him too. Plenty of players rise up the ranks stuck with plugs. But when guys like Ehlers, Wheeler, Perreault, Armia and Ladd and now Laine are in your way on the wings and Sheif, Little and Lowry are in the way at center it's not going to be easy to break in unless you bring more to the table than those guys. I think moving Petan will be in the best interests of both us and him.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I hope Jets use 3+ scoring lines, so I hope the answer is yes.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:02 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Yeah as much as PMo is easy to blame and he definitely never gave Nic any easy breaks. Part of it is on Nics shoulders as well to force him too. Plenty of players rise up the ranks stuck with plugs. But when guys like Ehlers, Wheeler, Perreault, Armia and Ladd and now Laine are in your way on the wings and Sheif, Little and Lowry are in the way at center it's not going to be easy to break in unless you bring more to the table than those guys. I think moving Petan will be in the best interests of both us and him.
There is definitely a chemistry component though that is different than just being good/worse with Petan.

We can see here that Petan statistically is very much what we observe of him, a playmaker:
1) High number of passes
2) High number of primary-shot assists (passes to shooter)
3) Medium-high number of building up play (passes to player that passes to shooter)

He has very low shot volume, but the shots he does make tend to be in dangerous ones.
He doesn't transition play much in terms of zone entries/exits.

Old
04-18-2017, 04:06 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

To compare, here is another Nick, Nikolaj Ehlers, placed over Petan:

We see Ehlers is a much more rounded player, so we expect him to work out in more situations with more different types of players, but he's not as good as Petan at every single thing.

Type cast, Ehlers is denoted as a shooter/play-driver due to his strengths and weaknesses, but his weaknesses are relatively stronger than Petan.

Old
04-18-2017, 04:10 PM
ffh

Poor paul gets slammed for giving a guy over 60 games in nhl who at best would be the 2nd line centre on the moose this year and would still be trying to break into league on any other team.

ffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:13 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
Poor paul gets slammed for giving a guy over 60 games in nhl who at best would be the 2nd line centre on the moose this year and would still be trying to break into league on any other team.

Panthers scout, making jokes mind you, sent me a text today:

Boy wouldn't Petan look good centre Marchessault on the third line... Glad he'll only cost Shawn Thornton.

Old
04-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
I think he had a lot of bad luck on the PP

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:41 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think he had a lot of bad luck on the PP
I think he had bad luck in all minutes. His sh% was under 2% or something like that. Hard to account for that with anything but bad luck

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
To compare, here is another Nick, Nikolaj Ehlers, placed over Petan:

We see Ehlers is a much more rounded player, so we expect him to work out in more situations with more different types of players, but he's not as good as Petan at every single thing.

Type cast, Ehlers is denoted as a shooter/play-driver due to his strengths and weaknesses, but his weaknesses are relatively stronger than Petan.
Ahh you guys use these charts as well, neat.

I think the chart does a nice job of showing that he's most certainly very good at some things at the NHL level and that his boxscores don't tell close to the full story. I think given his lack of production, his limited minutes in the role he was cast in, it's easy to write his year off. These charts help provide some more positivity.

Having said that as mentioned his strengths are pretty narrowly defined and a number of aspects of his game need a lot of work. I think a player of Petan's stature and skating can't just rely on his strengths as the number of situations and roles that he can be optimized in our very limited. He really needs to really work on diversifying his game if he wants to make it on this team.

There is no reason given his skill that he can't improve substantially. I think some of it revolves around him getting stronger and quicker and continually playing with pace.

Last edited by surixon: 04-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.
surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:22 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

I don't know if I buy Thor setting Petan back. He wasn't the optimal linemate, but Petan isn't an 18 y/o kid fresh out of junior. It was his draft +4 season and his 2nd year pro. If he is that fragile he will never make it anyways. I'd lay more of his lack of development on Petan himself. He needs to push the pace of his game. He stops moving his feet and tries to slow the game down which is hurting him. Playing with better players forces him to play at a quicker pace, but by now he needs to start showing more on his own and start dragging lesser linemates with him. Unless he starts playing a game a lot closer to Matty P I don't know if he catches on anywhere.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:24 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1460
Quote:

Boy wouldn't Petan look good centre Marchessault on the third line... Glad he'll only cost Shawn Thornton.
Give us a real offer and lets see what we can do.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Whileee

Quote:

I'm just glad Chevy drafted Petan. I hope he values him as one of his guys. I know the numbers don't agree, but keep him over Dano and play him with Copp and Roslovic.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew McConaughey View Post
Pretty much this. Not good enough for top 6 (or even top 9), not really suited for any sort of "energy" or "grind" line.

Hopefully included in a trade for a goalie or LHD.
If the bolded is accurate then why would anybody give us anything for him?

Quote:
Not every coach pans out either. Petan might be a great 3C. We will never find out while Maurice is his coach.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote