Does Petan Have A Future Here?

Old
04-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
So much of making the NHL and doing well is timing and breaks (if you are not blue chip). Nic is one of the guys that I think could thrive and develop if he just landed on the right team. Burning off a season on the 4th line with a plug like Thorburn probably set Nic's development back and honestly might have finished him off with us. Here's hoping he gets the right kind of shot on a team.

Easy to blame PMo here and he does have blood on his hands but Nic hasn't exactly kicked the door down either.
That's true but how could he? It would be different if his offense came primarily from his own play but it doesn't. He is a playmaker, a passer, a setup man. With nobody to setup he really had no chance at all.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:10 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
That's true but how could he? It would be different if his offense came primarily from his own play but it doesn't. He is a playmaker, a passer, a setup man. With nobody to setup he really had no chance at all.
And in the NHL this all needs to be done at speed otherwise teams will shut you right down. I'm not sure why we expect Petan to be given optimal usage above players that have proved to be more effective? Ideally he should be in the A, until he leads that league in scoring or close to it. He has less draft pedigree than Dano who has add considerably more success at the NHL level and he is also trying to gain a foothold.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

vCash: 500
Petan is too good to be playing on the fourth line. Other teams could use him playing 2nd or 3rd. There isn't any room for him on the jets.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:54 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Petan should have been in the AHL with CONNOR for 60-75 % of the season together. The Jets missed a good opportunity to develop his offense abilities. Instead they stick him in the 4th line in NHL with Thorburn in hopes that Thorbs teaches him how to grow facial hair.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Hold the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew McConaughey View Post
Pretty much this. Not good enough for top 6 (or even top 9), not really suited for any sort of "energy" or "grind" line.

Hopefully included in a trade for a goalie or LHD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
If the bolded is accurate then why would anybody give us anything for him?
Because there are 30 teams in the NHL, soon to be 31. Jets have a top 6 that many people would put top 10 in the league. Lots of teams with lesser top 6 forwards would take a chance on a marginal player like Petan.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:50 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I Like Petan, I really do, but he has been underwhelming thus far. A lot of that could be usage, but part of me would still be afraid he'd reach his potential elsewhere.

That said, if he could be used as currency to move up into the 7-9 range to ensure snagging one of the better defensemen available, I would do it. Jets need that organizational prospect balance. Afraid the best defenders will be long gone.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Hey Garret. Where do these guys skate anyway? I've been missing my trips to the iceplex. Maybe I can check out the Vancouver version.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Arthur Fonzarelli

vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yultron View Post
Hey Jets Fans ,

I'm Yultron and I just moved to the Winnipeg Area and am new to these boards after reading these boards for several years and I thought it was time to register . So my question to you great fans is does Nic Petan have a future here ? He spend most of last season in Maurice's dog house on the 4th line , only played like 7-11 minutes a night. And didn't seem to get in a rhythm. So what are his chances of getting a spot in the top 9 this year , or is he going to be a career 4th liner , or will we trade him ?

Thoughts
"Dog house" is strong words & hardly how I'd describe Petan's deployment.

Certainly he was under utilized, but the reasons are more due to the cast of prospects surrounding him than poor play on his part.

Be it last season or this season, Petan certainly can't crack the Jets top 6. Scheifele & Little have the centre positions, Perrault & Ehlers/Laine the job at LW & Maurice has shown reluctance to play prospects on the off wing & even if he did it's Wheeler & Laine/Ehlers on that side.

The Jets deployed a checking 3rd line last season with Matthias/Lowry/Armia being the game plan going into the season & when injuries occurred players better suited for that role like Copp were played in that role leaving 4th line minutes for Petan.

He certainly was given ample opportunity on the power play & played the half wall quite well although not much ever came of it scoring wise.

With the emergence of Kyle Connor at LW & Roslovic at C, this season doesn't bode well for Petan either. My hope is he plays on the Moose & continues to develop his game playing solely with Roslovic, switching with each playing centre & their natural wing positions.

This is Petan's last year being waiver exempt & the final year to flush out the holes in his game.

I realize Petan wants to make the NHL & the $700,000 raise that accompanies it, but the best thing for his game is 1st line minutes alongside an elite player like Roslovic. Hopefully his game evolves the way Kyle Connor's did last year.

All that said, the Jets organization has been loyal to a fault to players with seniority. Perhaps Petan does make the team, but the way Connor finished last year he is by far the favourite to make the team if it came down to one or the other.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2017, 07:52 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
"Dog house" is strong words & hardly how I'd describe Petan's deployment.

Certainly he was under utilized, but the reasons are more due to the cast of prospects surrounding him than poor play on his part.

Be it last season or this season, Petan certainly can't crack the Jets top 6. Scheifele & Little have the centre positions, Perrault & Ehlers/Laine the job at LW & Maurice has shown reluctance to play prospects on the off wing & even if he did it's Wheeler & Laine/Ehlers on that side.

The Jets deployed a checking 3rd line last season with Matthias/Lowry/Armia being the game plan going into the season & when injuries occurred players better suited for that role like Copp were played in that role leaving 4th line minutes for Petan.

He certainly was given ample opportunity on the power play & played the half wall quite well although not much ever came of it scoring wise.

With the emergence of Kyle Connor at LW & Roslovic at C, this season doesn't bode well for Petan either. My hope is he plays on the Moose & continues to develop his game playing solely with Roslovic, switching with each playing centre & their natural wing positions.

This is Petan's last year being waiver exempt & the final year to flush out the holes in his game.

I realize Petan wants to make the NHL & the $700,000 raise that accompanies it, but the best thing for his game is 1st line minutes alongside an elite player like Roslovic. Hopefully his game evolves the way Kyle Connor's did last year.

All that said, the Jets organization has been loyal to a fault to players with seniority. Perhaps Petan does make the team, but the way Connor finished last year he is by far the favourite to make the team if it came down to one or the other.
This is a really good summary of Petan's situation with the Jets. And agreed a year playing 1st line on the Moose and in all situations is the best hope for Petan to find an effective NHL game so he can become an important part of the team post ELC. Helping lead the Moose to the playoffs would be a nice bonus.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2017, 10:27 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Don't understand why the Jets can't build there scoring lines with Schief, Little and Petan down the middle.

Lowry/Matthas/Armia can be the fourth.

It's Maurice's fault...now that I think about it.

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 08:10 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 50
I expect Petan to be dealt sooner than later. I'm convinced of it since Roslovic showed what he can do in the AHL. With Scheifele, Little, Lowry and Roslovic, he's gonna be the odd man out on the C depth chart. If you want to have him on the wing permanently, I don't see it either. Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine and Connor are not gonna be surpassed by him. After that, Armia, Dano and Kristalainen are gonna be hard to beat out since it's scoring line or bust for Petan anyway. Not so much for the Armia, Dano and Kristalainen (if you think he'll at least reach 3rd line NHL quality level which is pretty likely).

GJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Imcanadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
Don't understand why the Jets can't build there scoring lines with Schief, Little and Petan down the middle.

Lowry/Matthas/Armia can be the fourth.

It's Maurice's fault...now that I think about it.
It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that Petan isn't good enough to playing 3C.

Imcanadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 09:54 AM
uTurris
We the True North

He deserves to be traded to a team that'll give him a better chance.

Would like to see him play with Scheifele and Laine.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 10:02 AM
JetBlue420

Petan is seriously the most overrated player on the Jets by far. People can talk about "Its Maurices fault" but reality is Petan has done absolutely sweet nothing when he has been given an opportunity. Petan with Scheif and Laine? Good god... He should be in the A cuz right now.. Hes just an overhyped undersized good junior player who has done nothing in the NHL... People can disagree all they want but when i see Petan on the ice.. Outside of maybe 1 shift every 10 games... Hes being owned and it doesnt matter who he was played with.. He was owned.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 10:10 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I believe that these players have guaranteed spots:
Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Lowry, Armia, Matthias

Meaning only 3 more players will see significant ice this coming season. The competition is between:
Connor, Petan, Copp, Roslovic, Dano

I think Connor, Copp and Dano have the inside track while Petan is on the outside looking in. Roslovic has a solid chance too but I'd like him to lead the Moose to the playoffs and get a lot of games, icetime and challenging match ups as their #1 C.

But one exceptional training camp can change a lot. It will be fun to see these guys compete for spots!

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Flair Hay

I don't think Petan has earned a spot over Lowry with his play necessarily. He needs to be playing with at least one first liner to be used in a scoring role I think. Only way Petan at 3C works is if Wheeler or Perreault gets dropped down for balance.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 11:47 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
I don't think Petan has earned a spot over Lowry with his play necessarily. He needs to be playing with at least one first liner to be used in a scoring role I think. Only way Petan at 3C works is if Wheeler or Perreault gets dropped down for balance.
This makes no sense. You basically making petan the 2nd line centre at the expense of little and lowry who would become 3rd and 4th line centres.

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 12:19 PM
rehf
Fueled by Maurice

I think there's a spot for him, but I'm not confident he will be utilized by the Jets properly.

Got a feeling he'll be part of a trade at some point, unfortunately. He's so godly on the PP.

rehf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Imcanadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehf View Post
I think there's a spot for him, but I'm not confident he will be utilized by the Jets properly.

Got a feeling he'll be part of a trade at some point, unfortunately. He's so godly on the PP.
By godly on the PP do you actually mean mediocre on the PP?

Old
08-13-2017, 12:44 PM
JetsUK

Still think Pecan is a special player -- but he also seems to be a specialized one, requiring a pretty narrow set of conditions to find his peak game, at which point, per Garrett, he is elite in some important metrics. I believe and hope he'll find those conditions and succeed in the NHL, but it may not be with the Jets.

FWIW, I don;'t think he bears all the blame for this. His skill set and work ethic are well known, and he suffered way more than, say, Ehlers from PoMoi's insistence on playing checking/energy lines and was snakebitten for long periods last year. If they'd exposed Dano at the ED he'd have a much better shot at sticking with the Jets; as it is, I expect him to move on, and for us, at some point, to regret it.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 02:45 PM
boanst

I think the narrative that Petan needs to be in the top 6 to play to his strengths is bunk.

I seem to remember Petan playing just fine when he was on a line with Copp and Armia, 2 players very few think are top 6 players. That was a 4th line that got to play 10+ minutes a game.

Get the lines set properly and dole out ice time a bit more evenly should result in decent results from almost everybody that is a forward.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcanadianeh View Post
By godly on the PP do you actually mean mediocre on the PP?
If you disagree with the assertion that Petan was godly on the PP, there is definitely an argument to make against it.

Try making that argument instead of doing what you just did.

Old
08-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Imcanadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
If you disagree with the assertion that Petan was godly on the PP, there is definitely an argument to make against it.

Try making that argument instead of doing what you just did.
So it's ok to say Petan is godly on the PP without backing it up but it's not ok to say Petan is mediocre on the PP without backing it up?

Anyways for the 16-17 season Petan ranked 145th for PPP forwards only.

Tied for 195th all players.

I don't know how many gods rank that low.

Old
08-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcanadianeh View Post
Anyways for the 16-17 season Petan ranked 145th for PPP forwards only.

Tied for 195th all players.

I don't know how many gods rank that low.
There you go.

On the other hand, Petan ranked much higher in P/60 on the PP, which indicates that he wasn't mediocre either. He was actually one of our better point producers on the PP.

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 04:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Hey Garret. Where do these guys skate anyway? I've been missing my trips to the iceplex. Maybe I can check out the Vancouver version.

8 rinks in Burnaby. They were doing skills stuff on Friday evening.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote