Does Petan Have A Future Here?

Old
04-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
So much of making the NHL and doing well is timing and breaks (if you are not blue chip). Nic is one of the guys that I think could thrive and develop if he just landed on the right team. Burning off a season on the 4th line with a plug like Thorburn probably set Nic's development back and honestly might have finished him off with us. Here's hoping he gets the right kind of shot on a team.

Easy to blame PMo here and he does have blood on his hands but Nic hasn't exactly kicked the door down either.
That's true but how could he? It would be different if his offense came primarily from his own play but it doesn't. He is a playmaker, a passer, a setup man. With nobody to setup he really had no chance at all.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:10 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
That's true but how could he? It would be different if his offense came primarily from his own play but it doesn't. He is a playmaker, a passer, a setup man. With nobody to setup he really had no chance at all.
And in the NHL this all needs to be done at speed otherwise teams will shut you right down. I'm not sure why we expect Petan to be given optimal usage above players that have proved to be more effective? Ideally he should be in the A, until he leads that league in scoring or close to it. He has less draft pedigree than Dano who has add considerably more success at the NHL level and he is also trying to gain a foothold.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

vCash: 500
Petan is too good to be playing on the fourth line. Other teams could use him playing 2nd or 3rd. There isn't any room for him on the jets.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:54 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Petan should have been in the AHL with CONNOR for 60-75 % of the season together. The Jets missed a good opportunity to develop his offense abilities. Instead they stick him in the 4th line in NHL with Thorburn in hopes that Thorbs teaches him how to grow facial hair.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Registered Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew McConaughey View Post
Pretty much this. Not good enough for top 6 (or even top 9), not really suited for any sort of "energy" or "grind" line.

Hopefully included in a trade for a goalie or LHD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
If the bolded is accurate then why would anybody give us anything for him?
Because there are 30 teams in the NHL, soon to be 31. Jets have a top 6 that many people would put top 10 in the league. Lots of teams with lesser top 6 forwards would take a chance on a marginal player like Petan.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:50 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I Like Petan, I really do, but he has been underwhelming thus far. A lot of that could be usage, but part of me would still be afraid he'd reach his potential elsewhere.

That said, if he could be used as currency to move up into the 7-9 range to ensure snagging one of the better defensemen available, I would do it. Jets need that organizational prospect balance. Afraid the best defenders will be long gone.

untouchable21 is online now   Reply With Quote