HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Could Ehlers be one of the Fastest NHL Players Today?

Old
04-18-2017, 01:39 PM
matthole

vCash: 500
Could Ehlers be one of the Fastest NHL Players Today?

I've seen this guy skate around and away from defenders with ease so many times this season with pure skating skills this season and he has the puck he always looks fast than everybody on the ice(IMO), he got a 13.29 Second time on the same speed competition drill McDavid(Fastest Guy in the League and best player in the league) got 13.310 on, it may have been less strict than the Skills Competition one but do you think Ehlers could be one of the Fastest skaters right now with the speed he contains?

Sorry kind of a bad thread but I wanted to know if everyone else thinks he's as fast as I do(probable top 5 in the league, IMO), because this guy looks fast.

Thank you for reading please comment you opinion below and don't be shy.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:42 PM
D1G

Reminds me of mcdavid the way he can keep his speed with his legs not moving anymore. He is close that's for sure

D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Absolutely. Kid has wheels for sure.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
I don't watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of the Jets, but I do watch a lot of lower level hockey. Ehlers' speed, and the way he makes opposing players look is something I have never seen at the NHL level. Similar to Laine's shot, and how it makes goalies look.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:23 PM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
I don't watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of the Jets, but I do watch a lot of lower level hockey. Ehlers' speed, and the way he makes opposing players look is something I have never seen at the NHL level. Similar to Laine's shot, and how it makes goalies look.
Yeah that's what I think when he's out there but I don't want to sound like a Biased Jets fan saying we have one of the Fastest players but when this guy gets an inch of space he's open and no one can catch him.

Old
04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Narow

His timed lap around the rink is pretty much same as mcdavids. So probably

Narow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:17 PM
ruffus23

Watching g playoffs I wonder how Ehlers would do. Really would create open spaces. Probably do pretty good.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Channelcat

Absolutely. Depending on the day, Ehlers could be the fastest (and quickest) player in the league.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:24 PM
lomiller1

Didn't Kyle Connor catch him on a breakaway at the Junior A Challenge a couple years back? I also recall some Michigan fans saying he's the fastest player to ever play there, and keep in min Dylan Larkin played there just a year earlier.

lomiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:38 PM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomiller1 View Post
Didn't Kyle Connor catch him on a breakaway at the Junior A Challenge a couple years back? I also recall some Michigan fans saying he's the fastest player to ever play there, and keep in min Dylan Larkin played there just a year earlier.
If he did it full speed then I want to see it, but if he did it while Ehlers was slowing down to deke the Goalie then I'm not surprised(as Ehlers can get a bit clumsy and choke in big situations).

Old
04-18-2017, 09:50 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
If he did it full speed then I want to see it, but if he did it while Ehlers was slowing down to deke the Goalie then I'm not surprised(as Ehlers can get a bit clumsy and choke in big situations).
Some in-person accounts of Connor vs. Ehlers:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=131

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:16 PM
matthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Some in-person accounts of Connor vs. Ehlers:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=131
I'm not sure man, I would have to see it and judge it for myself to believe it, but like I said Ehlers was likely slowing it down to deke the Goalie out or figure out what to do(shoot or deke).

Old
04-19-2017, 02:54 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
I'm not sure man, I would have to see it and judge it for myself to believe it, but like I said Ehlers was likely slowing it down to deke the Goalie out or figure out what to do(shoot or deke).
Sure, that's fair. That said, I'll back up the poster on this as I remember this sequence too: he did not have the puck, and was not slowing down at the time - IMO, he's at least in the same league as Ehlers.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:52 AM
Rambokala

Eh, i don't think he'll get much faster. But he is already one of the fastest.

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Peggy

Ehlers is probably the better skater
Connor's just as fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Sure, that's fair. That said, I'll back up the poster on this as I remember this sequence too: he did not have the puck, and was not slowing down at the time - IMO, he's at least in the same league as Ehlers.
The moment I remember, Ehlers had a break away and Connor had caught up to him

This was also when Ehlers was looking "sluggish" because he had apparently added some weight

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:48 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Ehlers is probably the better skater
Connor's just as fast

The moment I remember, Ehlers had a break away and Connor had caught up to him

This was also when Ehlers was looking "sluggish" because he had apparently added some weight
Burgers, no doubt.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:52 AM
JetsUK

I don't think there's much if anything to separate the Ehl from the league's fastest skaters. How many times in each game does he blow past one or more opponents? He gets up to top speed so quickly and effortlessly and his edge work is superb.

I'm thinking of that wrap-around goal he scored in one of the last games (Preds? St Louis?) where he moved across the net so quickly that the goalie, despite guessing correctly what Ehlers was up to, couldn't get there in time. Very few skaters outside of maybe McD pull that off.

Connor has tremendous top speed and acceleration but I don't know if he has Ehlers' shiftiness. Having two lines that can exploit that level of speed on the wing will make next year's Jerts even more difficult to contain, IMO. Of course, PoMo will have to layer in a little grit and glue to compensate.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Howard Chuck

He is an incredible skater, and to do it while thinking and dekeing around players with the puck is insane. So far he gets into the o zone so fast that the he has no one to create a play with, hopefully that will get taken care of this summer and early next season.

He has multiple instances per game that he flies past the opposition and has full control of the puck in their zone,..... but he's there alone

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

I don't think he could outskate larkin or mcdavid tbh

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:06 AM
JetsUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
I don't think he could outskate larkin or mcdavid tbh
Larkin pretty easily, I think, especially if one of the rules is that you have to be actually doing something productive with the puck at the time.

Old
04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
JetsUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
He is an incredible skater, and to do it while thinking and dekeing around players with the puck is insane. So far he gets into the o zone so fast that the he has no one to create a play with, hopefully that will get taken care of this summer and early next season.

He has multiple instances per game that he flies past the opposition and has full control of the puck in their zone,..... but he's there alone
Thorbs to the 2nd line!

Old
04-19-2017, 09:18 AM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
Watching g playoffs I wonder how Ehlers would do. Really would create open spaces. Probably do pretty good.
His junior playoff numbers suggests he gets better which is exciting.

DashingDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsUK View Post
Larkin pretty easily, I think, especially if one of the rules is that you have to be actually doing something productive with the puck at the time.
This. I think ehls along with McJesus are two off the fastest players in the league with the puck on their stick.

DashingDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:21 AM
surixon

There are skaters that are as fast as Ehlers but there are very few that are as fast with the puck undercontrol as Ehlers.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:25 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

The difference as I see it with both Ehlers and McDavid is that its functional speed vs just speed and they use their speed much more often than other players.

I will use the goofy example but I think it fits. My 8 year old son plays on a pretty good spring team and they all move around the ice well. The moment the coach blows the whistler and they start doing full laps at top speed they all look so much faster because its straight line speed and they don't have to worry about handling the puck or playing hockey.

Ehlers and McDavid can function at a high level with the puck on their stick, head up, and making plays. The only other guy who consistently uses it in a similar fashion is the pre 2016-17 Matt Duchene. Wheeler is fast and uses speed as a weapon but it's not the same as Ehlers because Nik has a better burst, is much more creative, has better edges, and can change direction on a dime. Blake gains separation by getting to top speed and blowing past and around players and maintaining that speed. Nik can do that but he can also gain the blue line going north south then cut straight sideways and go east west without losing speed and drop everyone.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote