HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Davidson

Old
04-18-2017, 01:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Brandon Davidson

Davidson has a 1.425 cap hit. The guys got a heck of an agent to get that much money for a 6th or 7th type but I like what I've seen from him so far in that he plays a safe smart game and keeps it simple.

And keep the DD talk out of this thread or it will just be deleted.

Last edited by montreal: 04-18-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: thought he was an RFA this year but it's the following
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Respeck
Emmy BOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Davidson is an RFA at the end of the year, has a 1.425 cap hit. The guys got a heck of an agent to get that much money for a 6th or 7th type but I like what I've seen from him so far in that he plays a safe smart game and keeps it simple.

He was very solid last year and was playing almost 20 minutes a game, that's why he ended up getting a big raise from the $650k he was making. He dealt with a couple injuries to start this year and just couldn't get it going with Edmonton.

He's still just 25, can definitely be a solid bottom pairing guy for us who can fill in in the top 4.

Respeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
He was very solid last year and was playing almost 20 minutes a game, that's why he ended up getting a big raise from the $650k he was making. He dealt with a couple injuries to start this year and just couldn't get it going with Edmonton.

He's still just 25, can definitely be a solid bottom pairing guy for us who can fill in in the top 4.
it looks like he signed for 585K after his ELC expired, which makes sense but to get more then double his salary the next year does not imo. Granted I don't know much about him and I see he was on pace for 18 pts. I know he put up the numbers in the dub, so I am interested to see what he can do.

Old
04-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Adam Michaels

I like Davidson because he doesn't seem to complicate things out there. He more often than not makes a quick and safe play, which indicates to me that he thinks the game fast because it seems like he knows what he'll do with the puck before he receives it.

I think his ceiling is 2nd pair but he can be a good 3rd pair guy as well who can move up in case of injuries.

And knowing what we gave up to get him makes me like him even more.

I was impressed with him on his 1st ever career playoff game. He and Beaulieu looked better than I expected. I was asking for Benn to be put on the 3rd with Beaulieu and Davidson with Petry because I wasn't sure how Davidson is playing on the right side as a lefty. But I did like him there.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
I like Davidson because he doesn't seem to complicate things out there. He more often than not makes a quick and safe play, which indicates to me that he thinks the game fast because it seems like he knows what he'll do with the puck before he receives it.

I think his ceiling is 2nd pair but he can be a good 3rd pair guy as well who can move up in case of injuries.

I was impressed with him on his 1st ever career playoff game. He and Beaulieu looked better than I expected. I was asking for Benn to be put on the 3rd with Beaulieu and Davidson with Petry because I wasn't sure how Davidson is playing on the right side as a lefty. But I did like him there.
I like that Davidson knows that he sucks and then goes out to play the simplest game possible so as not to suck as much as he otherwise would.

Solid depth D as long as he remembers that he sucks

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Davidson has a 1.425 cap hit. The guys got a heck of an agent to get that much money for a 6th or 7th type but I like what I've seen from him so far in that he plays a safe smart game and keeps it simple.

Not sure what you mean, he's way better than Emelin positionally, with the puck and has a better shot. Not even close, not sure why he's been sitting. Another steal by our pro scouts. This is his first playoff action, they just throw him in there after not using him for weeks and he's solid as a rock. He's only going to get better.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 04-18-2017 at 07:48 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:01 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Looked good out there tonight... Way better than Nestea that's for sure!

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:45 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post

I find Davidson to be slow in his decision making process when he has the puck. Definitely not quick. Good shot, poor passer. An okay #6 or #7 dman.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:46 AM
De Montreal
help

Cant complain about him as a 6-7

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I find Davidson to be slow in his decision making process when he has the puck. Definitely not quick. Good shot, poor passer. An okay #6 or #7 dman.
He's a good skater, has an excellent first pass and knows what he wants before he gets the puck. So, I would have to go with the opposite of everything you said here. He was rock solid. What I especially like is his alert positioning. Never out of position, and he's awake.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
angry pirate

I thought he had a very good game last night... Much improved in my opinion over the regular season games I saw where I thought he frequently chose poor times to pinch. In contrast, I thought he played a very steady and safe game last night.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Tim Raines

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
I thought he had a very good game last night... Much improved in my opinion over the regular season games I saw where I thought he frequently chose poor times to pinch. In contrast, I thought he played a very steady and safe game last night.
I know his match-ups weren't as hard as the others, but from a mistake standpoint, I thought he was arguably our 2nd best D yesterday after Weber.

Tim Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Not sure what you mean, he's way better than Emelin positionally, with the puck and has a better shot. Not even close, not sure why he's been sitting. Another steal by our pro scouts. This is his first playoff action, they just throw him in there after not using him for weeks and he's solid as a rock. He's only going to get better.
he was sick so perhaps they wanted to make sure he was at 100%. Not sure I'd agree he's way better then Emelin positionally, as it depends since Emelin has often been put in a tough situation as he's more of a solid 5th type that has had to play in the top 3/4 which is not where he should be. Don't get me wrong, I've liked what I've seen from Davidson and do think he has been a solid pickup by the pro scouts. The only one that looks like they made a mistake on was King, other then that, our pro scouts did one heck of a job going back to last trade deadline in getting a total steal in Danault plus a 2nd for 2 UFA's.

Old
04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Habs

I liked him so much, I worry about taking him out for Emelin's brain farts. He moves the puck nice, and can play the body.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:12 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I liked him so much, I worry about taking him out for Emelin's brain farts. He moves the puck nice, and can play the body.
Super annoyed Emelin is in for Davidson...

Old
04-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Super annoyed Emelin is in for Davidson...
He's two steps behind, and make worse clearing attempts.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

vCash: 50
Emelin has always been horrible on the Habs, I really don't understand how anyone wants him in the lineup because he throws a big hit now and then. He's always been a turnover machine and clueless in his zone.

Should've been traded a few years ago along with Tom Gilbert and Tomas Plekanec. But we all know how great MB is with assets management.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He's two steps behind, and make worse clearing attempts.
When a dman is rock solid like Davidson was, you don't take him out of the lineup. Julien has this lovefest for Emelin because of his battles with Lucic I think. But Beaulieu is equally worrisome right now. He should be shining in a series like this. Thank god Markov has found the fountain of youth, and Benn and Petry have been mostly solid. Bergevin and the pro scouting staff has done a great job with this defense: Weber/Petry/Benn/Davidson... he's done the impossible. But Davidson needs to play.

Use the #6 slot for whoever is playing better between Beau and Emelin. And we need Beau's speed right now I think. Just carry 7 d and award them with ice time.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 04-21-2017 at 11:15 AM.