HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why did Phoenix trade Keith Tkachuk?

Old
04-18-2017, 02:11 PM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
Why did Phoenix trade Keith Tkachuk?

He was one of their best players, they made the playoffs 5 straight years with Tkatchuk before trading him.

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:14 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

He didn't have a great playoff record, nor did the team, and he shouldered a lot of the blame. The Coyotes never had a season where they "should" have advanced, so perhaps it's unfair, but it's true his personal performances weren't great. Also, they were pretty pissed about his annual holdouts.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Moose Head

Wasn't he set to be an UFA?

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:55 PM
ChrisK97

I found it interesting that they traded Tkachuk at the deadline, but not Roenick. JR hung on with Phoenix for the rest of that season even though he too was a free agent that summer.

Last edited by ChrisK97: 04-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:09 PM
BigKing
Too Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
He didn't have a great playoff record, nor did the team, and he shouldered a lot of the blame. The Coyotes never had a season where they "should" have advanced, so perhaps it's unfair, but it's true his personal performances weren't great. Also, they were pretty pissed about his annual holdouts.
They maybe shouldn't of beaten Anaheim in '97 but I thought they should have. Tkachuk put up good stats (six goals in seven games) but they lost in OT at home in Game 6 and then got blown out the building in Anaheim in Game 7.

Going up 3-1 on the Blues in '99 and losing the series with a 1-0 OT loss at home in Game 7 was a bad look for Keith since he only had four points in seven games.

Coyotes weren't going to make the playoffs the year he was traded. It may come as a surprise, but ownership was losing money on the team and Tkachuk had one more year left on a deal that was paying him $8MM+ so they moved him for a pretty nice haul at the deadline.

They had already traded Khabibulin to TB earlier that same month as the Tkachuk trade. Roenick would walk as a UFA that off-season as the party was obviously over.

If the franchise was in better shape, I'm not sure they trade him. Unfortunately for the Coyotes, the 1st rounder they got from the Blues wound up being Ben Eager and the top prospect in the trade, Taffe, was a bust. They traded Handzus for Brian Boucher and then Nagy just flamed out after three 20 goal seasons.

He was a great player. Gets lost in the shuffle since nobody was watching Winnipeg/Phoenix games, his prime was pre-internet era and then his team--and sometimes him--would fail in the playoffs when they had more of a chance at a national stage.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:38 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
Wasn't he set to be an UFA?
he was on a big money contract at the time and as we know phoenix was bleeding money

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
He was one of their best players, they made the playoffs 5 straight years with Tkatchuk before trading him.
Seemed like a money issue: http://a.espncdn.com/nhl/news/2001/0313/1152611.html

Quote:
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Keith Tkachuk began hearing the trade rumors when he signed a three-year contract extension for $8.3 million a season through 2002-03.

On a team hemorrhaging red ink, that kind of money soon became a liability.

So Tkachuk wasn't surprised when the Phoenix Coyotes dealt him to the St. Louis Blues shortly before NHL trade deadline Tuesday for three players with potential and a first-round draft choice.

"I knew it was coming," Tkachuk said. "They told me this deal was obviously financial. I really, really wanted to stay here and try to win a (Stanley) Cup, but I'm going to a better situation. This team -- the St. Louis Blues -- is committed to winning.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Passchendaele

^ Sounds right. Memory told me it was a money thing. Turns out I was right.

Him and Roenick would cost over 15 millions per season.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:52 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
^ Sounds right. Memory told me it was a money thing. Turns out I was right.

Him and Roenick would cost over 15 millions per season.
and JR was a UFA in the off season and that time soon to be UFAs were not getting much at the deadline

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:24 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
He was a great player. Gets lost in the shuffle since nobody was watching Winnipeg/Phoenix games, his prime was pre-internet era and then his team--and sometimes him--would fail in the playoffs when they had more of a chance at a national stage.
Absolutely he was a great player: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=86

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:21 PM
BigKing
Too Funky

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Cool read.

He's my favorite player of all-time, cementing that status in the 96 WC.

Always wondered how things could of been different for him if he went to Chicago.

I've also always believed that Shanny was fortunate to be traded to Detroit. Great player, but he was the power forward that got to go to the best franchise of the era while Keith toiled away on a perennial loser, dating back to Winnipeg. Then he got traded to another franchise that isn't known for its playoff success either.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Speedtrials

In a book written by Rick Carpiniello about the Rangers that season, Thachuk was heavily rumored to be dealt to the Rangers. The Rangers were also trying to land Nikolai Khabibulin in it. I don't have the book anymore, but from what I remember of the Rangers package it was going to be Fluery(who was having a great season) Jamie Lundmarc, and Mike York. Unfortunately Fluery's personal issues crept back in, and that basically killed the deal.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Terry Yake

yeah i always wondered why they traded tkachuk but held on to roenick even though he was going to be a FA as well

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:40 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
In a book written by Rick Carpiniello about the Rangers that season, Thachuk was heavily rumored to be dealt to the Rangers. The Rangers were also trying to land Nikolai Khabibulin in it. I don't have the book anymore, but from what I remember of the Rangers package it was going to be Fluery(who was having a great season) Jamie Lundmarc, and Mike York. Unfortunately Fluery's personal issues crept back in, and that basically killed the deal.
That doesn't make any sense. Fleury was making $7 million a season. Why would the Coyotes trade away a superior player - to save money - and then take on a $7 million per season player?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Fleury was making $7 million a season. Why would the Coyotes trade away a superior player - to save money - and then take on a $7 million per season player?
It is curious, I found another fan site which mentioned that the Rangers would have eaten a significant portion of Fleury's salary.

Here's a more official article: http://nypost.com/2001/03/13/rangers...prime-targets/

Quote:
And while Pilon is one of a number of veterans Glen Sather is seeking to move in an effort to remake the franchise, the GM remains interested in far bigger game – as in Keith Tkachuk, whom the Rangers would have had two weeks ago had Theo Fleury not gone into the league’s substance-abuse program . . . and still in Eric Lindros if No. 88 would agree to come to Broadway.

Pavel Brendl, who has been part of every different package Sather has offered the Coyotes for either Tkachuk or Nikolai Khabibulin – or both – since October, is believed the centerpiece of the Rangers’ latest try at getting the power winger. Two weeks ago, the Blueshirts were poised to send Brendl, Mike York, Kim Johnsson and Fleury to the Coyotes for Tkachuk and Khabibulin when Fleury went into rehab, killing the deal.
I do distinctly recall the NY Post running a headline that the Rangers had landed Tkachuk/Khabibulin complete with a photoshopped picture of Tkachuk in a Rangers uniform.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
the edler
Valeri Bure fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Tkachuk was [and still is, I suppose] 4 years younger than Fleury, and didn't have the same off-ice issues, so I guess he had more value at the time, but it's really a stretch to call him a "superior player" IMO. I know you shouldn't base your world views on feelings, but it simply doesn't feel right.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 02:17 AM
Kreegz2

Quote:
The Coyotes never had a season where they "should" have advanced.
They were up 3-1 on the Blues in '99 and lost 2 of the last 3 in OT...

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote