HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Canadian NHL Sirius Satellite broadcasting license

Old
04-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Wolf357

vCash: 500
Canadian NHL Sirius Satellite broadcasting license

Does anyone know if Sirius Satellite will ever get rights to broadcast NHL games in Canada?
If you have a SiriusXm but particularly a Sirius radio it's not possible to listen to games. I go up north every May where there is no Radio or TV..I bring up my Sirius but can't get NHL games.
In The U.S you get NHL games both on the Sirius and XM radios but in Canada you only get NHL games on the XM radio...

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
Does anyone know if Sirius Satellite will ever get rights to broadcast NHL games in Canada?
If you have a SiriusXm but particularly a Sirius radio it's not possible to listen to games. I go up north every May where there is no Radio or TV..I bring up my Sirius but can't get NHL games.
In The U.S you get NHL games both on the Sirius and XM radios but in Canada you only get NHL games on the XM radio...
Actually, following the last deal Rogers technically owns the rights at this point, but I believe they made an agreement with SiriusXM to keep it on XM for the time being (or SiriusXM made the argument that they still own the satellite rights for a period of time and Rogers didn't feel like fighting). Would have to go looking for the articles but it was a news thing briefly.

I've got an XM radio myself, switched shortly after XM acquired the NHL rights away from Sirius prior to the merge, so I'd forgotten that in Canada still for some reason the two operate slightly independently. I don't see XM switching it back to Sirius at this point, feel like the Sirius specific subs are lower than XM's.

From wiki
Quote:
Following the Sirius / XM merger, NHL Home Ice was added to Sirius on 2008-09-30 as part of its "Best of XM" package and broadcasts on channel 208. Despite the channel being programmed by XM Canada, and counting towards CanCon regulations on satellite radio, the channel is not available to Canadians as their satellite counterparts are still two separate entities.
Also found this on the current satellite deal (runs through 2022)
Quote:
SiriusXM Radio and SiriusXM Radio Canada have extended their North American rights deal with the NHL to keep broadcasting league games on satellite radio through to the 2021-22 season.

The Canadian market extension for SiriusXM came despite local media giant Rogers Communications having a separate 12-year deal with the NHL for the TV and multimedia broadcast rights to league games in Canada.

Terms of the North American deal extension for SiriusXM were not revealed, but the satellite radio giant's current ten-year, $100 million deal with the NHL lapsed when the league's 2015 season ended.

Last edited by Caeldan: 04-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:41 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

FWIW, you do "pay extra" for NHL coverage on XM or Sirius.

It is available on radios of both platforms.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Wolf357

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
FWIW, you do "pay extra" for NHL coverage on XM or Sirius.

It is available on radios of both platforms.
It is available on both platforms in The U.S. It is not in Canada.
Only on XM in Canada... but you do get CFL on Sirius and you don't get CFL on XM...

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
I got a year free Sirius radio on my 2015 car and NHL games were most definitely aired. (I'm in Canada).

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote